Song 6: Butterfly

A Song for You

“I’ve seen you staring at him, you sick ert.”

 

It happened out of the blue. 

 

Jimin was minding his own business. Taehyung had extra classes and Jungkook was in the arts room working on a project so he sat alone in the courtyard mulling over his textbooks. 

 

He was so focused he hadn’t seen a group of girls approach him until they stood beside him, grabbed his textbooks and threw them onto the floor. 

 

Jimin was so shocked at the sudden hostility that he didn’t know how to react. 

 

Why were they so angry at him? What did he do wrong this time? 

 

“You’re gay, aren’t you?” One of the girls, whom he recognises as Yoongi’s fanclub president, sneered. It was a statement more than a question. 

 

“W-w-wha-?” Jimin could only stutter as his breath caught in his throat. 

 

“We’ve seen the disgusting way you look at him,” Another girl mocked, “Suga-oppa has probably noticed it too but is too nice to say anything about it, so we’re here to do it on his behalf.”

 

Jimin could only stare wide-eyed at the snickering group of girls, too shocked to deny whatever they said. Not that they were wrong anyway. 

 

“You didn’t deny it, you really are sick.” One of the girls surrounding him poured water over his head. “Here, for you to quench your thirst.” They all laughed at Jimin’s mortified expression. 

 

“HEY EVERYONE! PARK JIMIN IS GAY! HE LIKES YOONGI-SUNBAE!”

 

Jimin was so stunned he couldn’t move. Hi heart beating loud in his chest as he saw a sneering crowd gather. All he could hear was the laughter, the jeering and his own frantic heartbeat. Jimin was almost in tears. He couldn’t care less that the whole school knows, he had already been an outcast from the start. But...

 

What would he do if his parents found out?

 

What would he do if Yoongi saw him like this? The elder goes to this school...

 

How pathetic. How embarrassing. Jimin wanted the ground to swallow him up. He wanted to die. 

 

 

The small crowded threw dirt at him and dumped his textbooks in the nearby fountain but he was numb to their actions. 

 

He started to breathe faster. 

 

What had he ever done to deserve this? Why can’t they just let him live his own life in peace? Was it so wrong to love a man and hope to be loved back? 

 

He could barely register when someone broke through the crowd towards him, his heavy breathing too loud in his ears as he fisted his hair, almost wanting to tear it out as if it would give him comfort or an anchor for his emotions. 

 

He felt a hand cover his mouth, stopping him from inhaling through it and he struggled, thinking whoever it was was trying to suffocate him because it sure felt that way. 

 

But the person just held him firmly against their chest, combing through his hair in the familiar way that made him relax. 

 

He stopped struggling when he calmed down enough to register the familiar deep, raspy voice calling his name over and over. 

 

“Jimin, hyung is here. They won’t hurt you anymore, Jimin-ah.” 

 

Jimin sobbed loudly in between his quick exhales, making the elder’s hand wet with tears, snot and drool but Yoongi made no attempt to remove it and just continued to whisper into his ear soothingly. 

 

“Jiminie, breathe through your nose. Can you do that? Good. Follow hyung, just breathe in and out slowly.” 

 

Jimin complied without much resistance. It was difficult and he felt like he was drowning but the encouraging voice from the person soothed him. Once Jimin’s breathing returned to normal, Yoongi picked him up in his arms with Jimin resting his head on his shoulder, limp and drained of energy, and strode out of the ring of people, his expression promising death to whoever dared to stop him.

 

In his daze, Jimin could feel Yoongi shaking; whether with anger or maybe due to his weight, he didn't know. The only thought reverberating in his hazy mind was that Yoongi was here. His hyung had come for him.


 

 


 



 

Yoongi heard a commotion in the courtyard which he had a mind to ignore it at first, until someone shouted Jimin’s name and he bolted out the door.

 

There was a sizable crowd of students when he arrived at the open area. Some of the girls in his fan club spotted him and waved him over, pushing him to the front saying something about a ‘show’. Yoongi didn’t get it at first until saw a quivering Jimin sitting on one of the stone benches, utterly drenched while dirt was being hurled at him. The younger barely even registering the assault. His breathing was ragged and quick, a look of complete mortification on his face. 

 

Yoongi saw red. 

 

Yoongi hardly ever shouted, always mumbling and soft spoken, but seeing his precious Jimin being treated like this made his blood boil like never before. He wasn’t just mad, he was in a rage. 

 

“WHAT THE ARE ALL OF YOU DOING?” 

 

The chatter died down at Yoongi’s booming voice as everyone stared at him in shock. 

 

He couldn’t give a . 

 

“Oppa, why are you angry? We’re just teaching this ert a lesson, he’s been ogling at you,” The fan club president laughed nervously, not expecting her idol to shout or get angry. They probably thought they were doing him a twisted favour and it made him sick. 

 

Yoongi shot her a scathing look, causing the girl to cower in fear. 

 

“Were you the one behind this?” Yoongi’s voice was softer now but the tone was sharp and full of disdain. 

 

The girl gulped and didn’t dare to answer. 

 

“If you EVER lay a hand on him again, I will make sure to you up so bad you’d be on your knees begging for your life,” Yoongi hissed. 

 

He was about to yell at them to off when he noticed Jimin starting to hyperventilate. Concern overriding his anger, he made his way towards the panting boy.

 

Jimin was so lost in his fear that he hadn’t heard Yoongi call his name until the elder threw an arm over his shoulder, pulling him close while his free hand covered his mouth firmly to facilitate his breathing. Jimin struggled at first but upon realising that it was Yoongi, he relaxed slightly. Yoongi gazed into Jimin glistening eyes and saw fear, apprehension and sorrow. His heart shattered.

 

He swore he was going to get back at every single one of them who bullied Jimin like this. 

 

But Jimin was the priority now.

 

Yoongi lifted Jimin in his arms, glaring at the crowd as they parted to make way for him while he strode through, never once looking back.


 

 


 

 

 

Yoongi had brought them to the music room, wanting some privacy. It was the same one he had found Jimin in. the younger released his hold around his neck as Yoongi gently sat him down on the piano bench.



“Hyung…”

 

“Jimin-ah. Does it hurt anywhere?” Yoongi asked gently as he cupped Jimin’s cheeks and wiped at the tear stains with his thumb, dusting off the specks of dirt that got onto his face.

 

Jimin shook his head and dropped his gaze to his lap, utterly shamefaced.

 

“Why aren’t you looking at me, Jiminie? You don’t have to be embarrassed, you did nothing wrong,” Slowly, Yoongi moved his hand from Jimin’s cheek to his chin, lifting his head up slightly, enough for Jimin to return the elder's soft gaze. 

 

Jimin’s eyes well up as he started sobbing once more. 

 

“I’m s-sorry, hyung. I didn’t w-want you to see me like t-this,” Jimin stuttered as he cried. 

 

“Why not, Jimin-ah? The ones who should feel ashamed of themselves are the ones who put you through all this. Did you think I would judge you?” 

 

Jimin shook his head. 

 

“I know you’re n-not like that.” 

 

“Then why?” 

 

“I’m the school l-loser,” Jimin sobbed harder as the word left his mouth. “If- If you were to be seen with me…” 

 

It hit Yoongi then - Jimin didn’t tell him about himself not because he was ashamed of Yoongi and his bad reputation but the opposite. He didn’t want Yoongi to recognise him due to Jimin’s own lack of popularity and self-esteem. 

 

Yoongi sighed fondly. This silly kid. 

 

“Hey. Hey. Hey. I won’t allow any of that self-deprecating stuff, Jimin. You’re beautiful and I would never be ashamed to be seen with you.”

 

Jimin sniffed as he stared at the elder disbelievingly.

 

Jimin didn’t believe him at all. 

 

Yoongi huffed and stood up from where he was crouched in front of the younger to sit beside Jimin on the bench, facing the piano. 

 

“You know, after finding out who you were I wrote this song.” 

 

“W-what?” 

 

“I knew who you were, Jimin. I saw you playing the piano the other day. I’d recognise your voice anywhere.” 

 

Jimin’s eyes widened, to which Yoongi chuckled.

 

“However, I thought you’d want to keep your secret for whatever reason so I decided not to pry. To be frank, I don’t care if you’re the geekiest, ugliest, most unpopular kid in school. Not that you’re any of those, quite the opposite actually - you’re smart, beautiful and you have the voice of an angel. Regardless, you’re still the Jimin I fell in love with no matter how others perceive you. They don’t know you, Jimin-ah. But I do.”

 

Yoongi didn’t give Jimin a chance to reply as he placed his hands on the keys and started playing.



Jimin’s jaws dropped when the elder started to sing, voice rough and untrained but undoubtedly Yoongi’s.

 

 



Amugeosdo saenggakhaji ma

Neon amu maldo kkeonaejido ma

Geunyang naege useojwo



(Don’t think of anything

Don’t say anything, not even a word

Just give me a smile)


 

 

Yoongi put all his emotions for the younger in the song. Wanting, with every fibre of his body, to convey the love and adoration he felt for him. To make the younger understand the ex tent of his feelings. He stole a glance at Jimin and saw the tears rolling down his disbelieving face. He continued.

 

 


Siganeul meomchullae

I sungani jinamyeon

Eopseossdeon iri doelkka neol ilheulkka

Geopna geopna geopna 

Butterfly, like a butterfly

Machi butterfly, bu butterfly cheoreom



( Will you stop time

If this moment passes

As though it hadn’t happened

I’m scared scared scared I’ll lose you

 

Butterfly like a Butterfly

Just like a Butterfly bu-butterfly)

 




When the song ended, Jimin was a mess, a total wreck, as he leaned his head on Yoongi’s shoulder and weeped. The elder shifted to wrap his arms around him rocking them both gently, and letting him get all his pent up feelings out before he spoke. 

 

“Jimin-ah, now that it’s all out in the open, hyung will ask you again. Will you be with me?” 

 

He felt more than heard the younger’s breath hitch, but the latter didn’t reply. 

 

“I want to protect you. I never want to see you go through something like that again. I don’t care for your appearance, Jimin, disregarding the fact that you’re the prettiest person I’ve ever seen. I don’t care what other people think. My feelings won’t change because I know the real you. The you who cheers me up when I’m stuck on my lyrics; the you who always gives Taehyung the last piece of chicken despite it being your favourite; the you who always teases Jungkook but secretly puts extra snacks in his bag when you think nobody’s looking; the you who always buys muffins for Jin and delivers them to his office when he’s too busy at work to eat. You’re perfect just the way you are and I wouldn't have it any other way. Be mine, Jimin.”

 

Yoongi glanced at Jimin and found the younger’s eyes on him. 

 

The smile Jimin gave him then was breathtaking, like sunshine after a storm.

 

Despite his puffy eyes, red nose and swollen lips, Yoongi had never seen anyone more  beautiful. 
 




 

-





 

Yoongi showed up outside his house the following day, surprising Jimin. The latter felt a bubbling sensation in the pit of his stomach when he spots the man, his boyfriend, leaning idly against the gate, fiddling with his phone, no doubt scrolling through some playlist. He only pulls off his headphones to let it hang around his neck when he spots Jimin approaching, flashing his signature gummy smile. 

 

“Hyung! What are you doing here?” 

 

Seeing the elder made his heart beat go out of control, a comforting warmth spread through his body. He still couldn’t get over the fact that they were in a relationship. It was unreal yet felt so right. 

 

“Let me walk you to school?” Yoongi raised his eyebrows, pocketing his phone before holding out a hand for Jimin to take. 

 

Fingers intertwined, albeit bashfully, they strolled to school hand in hand, uncaring of the stares they got on the way. 

 

 

(Because them.

 

Yoongi-hyung, you really curse a lot

 

Only to people who deserve it, Sunshine.) 
 


 

 





 

 

As expected, the pair was the centre of attention when they arrived at the school gates.

 

Taehyung and Jungkook spotted them and ran over, concerned expressions on their faces soon morphed into one of surprise before settling on a -eating grin, causing Jimin to blush and move to hide a little behind Yoongi. 

 

“Chimchim! We were so worried when we heard the news this morning… But it seems like you’re doing ok?” Taehyung smirked. 

 

“More than ok too…” Jungkook adds, blatantly staring at their joined hands. 

 

Jimin’s cheeks down to his neck went an alarming shade of red at the attention but made no move to pull out of Yoongi’s hold. 

 

“Really though, Chim, are you ok? What they did to you yesterday was- You didn’t deserve that at all. Those people are disgusting.” Taehyung said seriously, spitting out the last line in contempt.

 

Jimin could hear the simmering anger in his best friend’s voice. 

 

“I’m ok, Tae. Yoongi-hyung saved me.” He stole a glimpse at Yoongi to find the elder looking back at him with a small, reassuring smile on his face. 

 

“And thank god for that,” Taehyung sighed, “They’re not getting away with this though.” 

 

Jungkook nodded darkly beside him, fists clenched tightly by his sides. 

 

“Tae, Kookie, really. I’m fine. As long as they don’t bother me anymore, I’m good,” Jimin gave his best friends a small but sincere smile. 

 

“You can bet they won’t bother you from now on.” 

 

The four turned to see Namjoon and Hoseok walking towards them. 

 

“Someone caught it all on tape. Let’s just say, those girls and every single one who participated won’t be getting a simple detention,” Namjoon scowled, Hoseok looking equally murderous beside him. The sunny rapper was scary when he wasn’t smiling.

 

Suddenly, Jimin found himself giggling before bursting into unbridled laughter. He knows that they're all giving him weird looks because nothing remotely funny had been said but he couldn't help himself, he just felt so joyful and relieved. Having all of them stand by him, Jimin's never been happier. He was so lucky to have made friends like them and so, so grateful; his incessant worrying over his appearance now seemed so silly that he just had to laugh. He looked towards Yoongi again to find the elder’s soft gaze on him, making him blush profusely with a wide grin on his face. There were people who saw him for who he was, and loved him. He decided then and there that he’d give them the world if he could.

 

From that day onwards, all six of them sat together for meals(Jin would pop by occasionally). They were a group, a fixed set. Where one of them went, all of them followed. Nobody dared to touch Jimin again and despite the occasional dirty looks from the girls, people no longer bumped into him or treated him as if he were invisible (It could be largely due to the fact that the scary senior Min Yoongi would always be by his side).


 

 

(“I don’t understand why people would be scared of you, though. 

 

I mean, you’re so soft and fluffy.” 

 

“Only for you, Sunshine.”)