Song 2: So Far Away

A Song for You

“Thanks for your support. If you like our covers please follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our Youtube channel. This has been Big Kidz. See you guys again soon!” Seokjin chirped as the quartet bowed. A loud applause and some whistles filled the bar as they made their way down the stage. Seems like they might get a few new followers from tonight’s performance.


“Whew Chimchim!” Taehyung clapped Jimin on his back as they exit behind the curtains to the holding area. “That high note was sick! Did you see how everyone gasped in awe? Totally wicked!” Jimin laughed heartily at his best friend’s praise, the high from the performance making him giddy with euphoria.

 

“You know I usually close my eyes when I sing, Tae. You’re probably exaggerating anyway. It wasn’t anything special…” Jimin refuted, he didn’t take praise very well and often downplayed himself and his talents, much to his friends’ chagrin.

 

“He was being serious Jiminie,” Seokjin, Tae’s older step brother, chipped in, “You really blew the crowd away with your vocals.”

 

Jimin just blushed and stared at the ground, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. Jin never lied; it was one of the things they liked about him. He was always truthful and would never sugarcoat things despite his gentle nature. He even scolds them all on a regular basis; Jin practically raised them. The older man had once told a woman to her face that he didn't like her attitude and she should very well shove the coconut she was holding up her if she continued to be condescending. They were visiting Jungkook at his part-time job at the grocery store down the street from their neighbourhood and the lady in question had been really rude and snappish. She had looked utterly scandalised, making them all laugh out loud as soon as she scurried away.

 

They were all still in a good mood from their performance, laughing and joking with each other as they bound out of the venue, instruments and belongings in tow when Jin noticed a group of three guys hanging around the back alley where the bar’s back door led.

 

They were leaning against the wall of the alley, blocking the path. When the trio saw them exit, they pushed themselves off the wall and steadily approached them.

 

The four boys were stunned into silence. Why were they approaching them and in a dim back alley no less. Moreover it was like they were waiting for them to show up. Jimin visibly gulped as the three came forward, the dim lighting hiding their faces, casting a dubious shadow over them.

 

“Can we help you?” Jin stepped forward bravely. As the eldest of them, he felt responsible for their safety. Nobody touches a hair on his little bros on his watch.

 

The three strode forward a few more steps before stopping just a few feet away from them. It was still dark but they could vaguely make out the others’ features from this distance.

 

Taehyung and Jimin let out an audible gasp while Jungkook simply stared, big doe eyes opened wide, betraying his blank expression.

 

It couldn’t be…

 

 


 

 

Yoongi, Hoseok and Namjoon waited at the back entrance for the band on the elder’s insistence. Yoongi had a song he was working on that needed a vocal and the former was adamant on it being the kid from the band so they stood there in ambush(Hoseok: don’t put it like that... We come in peace!).

 

Shuffling and scuffling his feet in nervousness, Yoongi thought over what he was going to say once they came out. He was never good at talking to strangers and always left it to Namjoon and Hoseok when they needed to get venues for their gigs or meet fans. He usually stayed in the background and was very content at being left out of conversations.

 

However, this time he had to do it himself. ( it’s your song and your favour, hyung. If you don’t ask him yourself it’ll be insincere…)

 

And Yoongi couldn't refute that.

 

Damn Namjoon and his manners

 

So he proceeded to rehearse his lines in his head until the moment came when he had to use his mouth. Namjoon and Hoseok left him to his thoughts and partook in mindless chatter among themselves, for which Yoongi was thankful. His friends understood him well.

 

Alas, they spotted(or rather heard their boisterous laughter) the four boys clumber out of the back entrance, arms slung over each other’s shoulder as they joked and teased. Yoongi pushed himself to stand and made his way towards the group with Namjoon and Hoseok following behind him for moral support. Yoongi silently prayed to whatever gods there were in the world that he won’t this up. He needs that voice. He could already hear how much the tone would fit his song and the results were beyond perfect.

 

“Can we help you?” The tallest of the four, and seemingly oldest, moved to stand in front of the others, blocking the cute chestnut-haired boy from Yoongi’s view, making him frown.

 

As he took a few more steps forward, he heard two of the boys gasp. Had they recognised him? Was he so famous that boys from other schools knew him too? The thought sent a slight fluttering through his stomach and made Yoongi subconsciously puff his chest out in pride.

 

“Uh… Hi, I’m Min Yoongi… ” Yoongi began, nervously rubbing his neck with his right hand as he stared at the floor. There was a slight pause before Namjoon nudged him to continue.

 

“This is Hoseok and Namjoon...We… Uh… We watched your performance and it wasn’t bad -” Hoseok jabbed him in the rib “- Ow… Uh… I mean it was great. Really great.”

 

Slightly taken aback by the compliment, there was a short awkward silence before Jin let out a small chuckle.

 

“Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.”

 

“Uh… right.”

 

When the trio didn’t seem to be moving out of the way, Jin cocked his head and asked, “Is there anything else?”

 

“Yeah… uhm… I was wondering… See, I have this mixtape I’m working on currently and I need a vocalist… uh… I really liked your main vocalist’s tone and… was wondering… If you could work for me?”

 

Yoongi paused before noticing how his words sounded and nervously backtracked.

 

“Ah. No. I mean… work with me. Like a collab.” He tilted his head to the left, locking eyes with the chubby-cheeked boy who looked like a deer caught in headlights.

 

It was a moment before a loud smack echoed through the alley and said boy was thrown slightly off balance from the slap to his back.

 

“Ow! Tae what the hell?!”

 

“Jiminie! Did you hear that? Min Yoongi wants to do a collab with you! You get to be on his mixtape! Oh. My. God!” The tall male beside ‘Jiminie’ exclaimed in a deep baritone, a boxy grin set on his face as he gave the shorter a noogie.

 

Yoongi knew their rap group was popular but he was still thoroughly surprised to be recognised. The slight fame made him giddy like his effort put into his music paid off.

 

“Get off me you overgrown meatloaf!” ‘Jiminie’ shouted, struggling in the taller boy’s grip.

 

“Jimin says yes!” Said overgrown meatloaf chirped excitedly.

 

“I haven't said anything!” The chestnut-haired cutie punched his assailant in the gut, securing his release from the other’s chokehold.

 

Yoongi just stared at them, all semblance of nervousness gone as he watched the two bicker.

 

“They’re so cute!” Hoseok cooed from behind Yoongi.

 

Jimin, having overheard that, blushed and tugged at the hem of his shirt.

 

He noticed that Yoongi was patiently waiting for a proper reply so he cleared his throat and said in a small voice, “I don’t know… I’m not that great… I don’t think I’m good enough to be in your song really.”

 

Before Yoongi could rebut that, Namjoon and Hoseok chimed, “What?!”

 

“Not that great? You gotta be kidding man your high note was wicked!” Namjoon exclaimed in disbelief.

 

“Yeah! You have such a pretty voice too!” Hoseok pitched in, fervently nodding his head in agreement.

 

Jimin, clearly uncomfortable at the praise, stared at his feet, cheeks tinted a vibrant pink has he fiddled with his shirt again as he mumbled out something that sounded like ‘No way… not at all’.

 

The two behind Yoongi poked him in the back, silently urging him to say something to the young boy.

 

“I really like your voice.” Yoongi stated quietly, causing Jimin to snap his head up, gaze trained on Yoongi. Jimin seemed to be deliberating and Yoongi gave him all the time he needed. He really admired the young boy’s tone and was hoping he’d accept.

 

“If… If you think I’m good enough, I don’t mind helping you with your song…” Jimin mumbled shyly, the words coming out soft and barely coherent.

 

The elder caught it though and he broke out in a wide gummy smile; the prospects of having this soulful voice in his song was already making his heart thump with excitement and anticipation.

 

“Uh… Can I get your number so we can keep in touch?”

 

The question broke Jimin from his apparent daze with a start as the boy nodded enthusiastically, eyes trained to the floor.

 

Cute. 

 

The elder passed over his phone and Jimin typed in his name and number before handing it back.

 

“Thanks.” Yoongi grinned. “I’ll… uh… text you.”

 

And with that the trio waved them goodbye and turned to leave, Yoongi heading back home with a bounce in his step and a smile on his face.

 

He was glad Hoseok dragged him out today and made a mental note to treat his friend to a meal as thanks.

 

 


 

 

“Holy .” Jungkook finally muttered, seemingly out of his daze.

 

The rest simply nodded in response, trying to wrap their head around the situation.

 

Min Yoongi, the most popular bad boy at school who raps and spits disses like water just smiled. 

 

Wait no.

 

That’s not it.

 

Min Yoongi, the Min Yoongi just asked him to collaborate on a song!

 

Needless to say, Jimin didn’t get much sleep that night, dreaming about that adorable gummy smile and deep rasp.

 

 


 

 

The promised message came the next afternoon. It was a Saturday and there wasn't school so Jimin slept in and was lolling in bed when his phone chimed.

 

 

 

 

 

Unknown Number 

Hi. Min Yoongi here. Is this Jimin?

 

 

Jimin drew in a breath at the unexpected text.

 

 

 

 

Chimchim 

Hi, Yoongi-ssi. Yes this is Jimin.

 

 

 

 

 

Min Yoongi 

You can call me hyung.

Yoongi-ssi sounds so old and stiff

And I am a very fun, unstiff person

Anyway, I was wondering if you’re free today?

I’d like to meet up…

Maybe show you the song?

 

 

 

 

 

Chimchim 

Oh, ok. Sure.

Yoongi hyung…

Hehe

I’m free today.

Where and what time should we meet?

Do I need to bring anything?

 

 

 

 

 

Min Yoongi 

If it's not too much trouble, you could drop by my place?

Since my equipment’s all here…

Is 4pm good?

You don’t need to bring anything… Just yourself.

 

 

 

 

 

Chimchim 

Oh, ok cool.

4pm is good.

So… I’ll see you, hyung?

 

 

 

 

 

Min Yoongi 

Yeah, see you Jimin.

 

Jimin locked his phone, staring blankly at the ceiling as his brain tried to process what just happened. He wasn’t sure how to face Yoongi. He’s always been invisible at school while Yoongi was the most popular kid. The senior wasn’t rude or snarky like rumors claimed, though, just awkward. He doubted Yoongi even remembered him from the time they bumped into each other at the corridor in school. A wave of disappointment hit him at the realisation. Should he bring it up? Or should he just keep the nerdy, uninteresting part of himself hidden? He wanted to befriend Yoongi and surely someone as cool as him wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with the school’s biggest nerd. Even though Namjoon was the valedictorian, he was far from a typical nerd like Jimin; the former was a genius and a rapper like Yoongi.

 

He decided to remain as Jimin from Big Kidz instead of Park Jimin, the school loser. If Yoongi ever found out how much of a loser he was…

 

Jimin shook the thought away. As long as Yoongi didn’t find out it’ll be fine.

 

He shuffled out of bed and prepares himself for the trip to Yoongi’s.

 

 


 

 

Yoongi’s house was dainty and homey. The white walls and cream exterior exuded a friendly, inviting aura. Jimin lavished in the sight before the front door swung open to reveal a casually dressed Yoongi. The elder donned a simple loose fitting white tee and a pair of blue jeans, his blonde bangs falling into his eyes instead of parted to the sides like usual. Even in casual wear, he was handsome.

 

Jimin was in a simple muscle tee and joggers, a red checkered flannel tied to his waist.

 

“Hey.” Yoongi greeted as he shifted to let Jimin in.

 

“Hi.” Jimin greeted back shyly.

 

“So… uh… Do you want anything to eat or drink? We can bring it to my room upstairs.”

 

“Nah, I’m good. Thanks hyung.” Jimin gave a small smile as he toed off his sneakers and stepped into the house following Yoongi.

 

They made their way up the narrow flight of stairs towards a room at the far end of the corridor.

 

Yoongi’s room was neat with minimal decorations. It was mostly painted in neutral colours save for a few colourful figurines on the shelves. A single bed sat in a corner next to the window while a long desk full of producing equipment and an upright piano settled against the wall on the other side of the room.

 

“Wow,” Jimin breathed, having caught sight of the complex-looking gadgets that covered the desk.

 

Yoongi chuckled at the younger’s blatant awe.

 

“Never seen a home studio before?”

 

Jimin shook his head as he ran his fingers over the keys of the brown piano in the corner.

 

Yoongi dragged over an extra chair and motioned for Jimin to sit with him at the desk, the latter complying obediently.

 

Yoongi handed over a pair of headphones to Jimin and moved to open a track file on the computer as the other put the headphones on. Soon, a simple melody started playing; the delicate sound of a piano filled Jimin’s senses as he instinctively closed his eyes to focus on the beautiful melody.

 

 


 

 

Yoongi nervously watched the younger as he took in the song with his eyes closed. He had always been uncomfortable sharing his incomplete songs with others. The songs he writes are like a piece of himself and the thought of letting someone listen to an unfinished work always leaves him feeling a sense of vulnerability.

 

At last, the melody ended and Jimin opened his eyes, blinking away some unshed tears.

 

“It’s beautiful,” Jimin breathed as he pushed the headphones down around his neck and shifted to peer at Yoongi.

 

The elder simply blushed at the heartfelt compliment and mumbled out a quiet ‘thanks’.

 

“So… how does the lyrics go?” Jimin asked with a slight tilt of his head, his fluffy chestnut hair bouncing cutely at the action.

 

Yoongi sifted through the papers strewn across the desk as he tried to find the lyrics sheet. He had already written a few verses for the rap portion but was struggling with the vocal arrangements. He handed them over to Jimin who gave it a look through, brows furrowed slightly in concentration. A subtle gesture that Yoongi found quite adorable.

 

Yoongi shook his head at the thought. They just met each other less than 24hours ago for god’s sake!

 

Ok but he had eyes. The boy was pretty with his full lips and slight pout. Sue him.

 

Jimin, tries to hum a tune for the chorus, pulling his brows together, unsatisfied, before trying a different note.

 

“Hm… I think this might work. Could you put the track on again?”

 

Yoongi didn’t even realise he was spacing out until Jimin spoke.

 

“Uh. Yeah sure.”

 

With a few clicks of the mouse, the track played again.

 

The soothing mix of strings and piano filled the room as they waited for the beat to change and the chorus to come up.

 

Jimin nodded his head to the beat, getting a feel of the pace before closing his eyes and opening his mouth, singing the notes exactly like he did just before while the melody guided him.

 

So far away 

Naegedo kkumi itdamyeon 

Naraganeun kkumi itdamyeon 

 

Don’t fall away 

Naegedo kkumi itdamyeon 

Naraganeun kkumi itdamyeon 

Oh oh oh 

 

 

Yoongi was stunned into silence at the gentle voice that flowed out of the younger, soft yet firm and unwavering. The arrangement fit the tune well too. It might still need a bit of experimentation and tweaking but it was a big step forward for their partnership and Yoongi couldn’t be more satisfied with his decision to ask the boy. He was indeed the ideal choice.

 

In fact it was so perfect, Yoongi might have absentmindedly said his thoughts out loud...

 

“ Beautiful…” 

 

Jimin froze upon catching the elder’s words, blush creeping up from his neck to his cheeks. His small hands move to fiddle with the hem of his tee, teeth biting on his lower lip.

 

Yoongi found his nervous habits endearing.

 

Noticing that he was staring too much, Yoongi lets out an awkward cough before going back to examine the test recording.

 

He didn’t take back his words though.

 

 


 





Monday reared its ugly head soon after as Jimin shuffles through the school corridors, head down and eyes on the floor. Nobody paid him any mind, some not even bothering to shift out of his way and end up bumping his shoulders, earning a loud ‘tsk!’ and a mutter of ‘watch where you’re walking, dweeb’.

 

Jimin was used to this.

 

Ever since he was young, he’d been labeled the class nerd. Hardworking, good grades, bowl cut and thick glasses. His parents had been strict with him; his father and mother were both teachers and enforced strict dress rules from the first day of his educational path. It was only recently that they’ve allowed any semblance of diversity in his wardrobe, which otherwise consisted of dress shirts and polo shirts; it now held a few sweaters, a hoodie and a tank top. He can’t say he hated being under his parent’s control, they were strict with appearances and grades but were quite easy-going beyond that. They didn’t know about his gigs and interest in music, though, as he hid them under the guise of his constant good grades. He feels bad lying to them about studying over at Tae’s place on performance and practice days but knew that if his parents found out, he wouldn’t be able to do what he loved anymore.



Thus, he keeps that part of himself hidden behind a facade. The less people that know about him the better.

 

Then came Min Yoongi.

 

Jimin was silently hoping the older boy hadn’t noticed that they were from the same school. He was the most popular guy in school and news of Jimin would spread like wildfire once the elder said anything about their collaboration.  He had been worrying the whole day and even taken to avoid Yoongi whenever he caught him in the halls or around school by ducking behind walls and weaving through the crowds.

 

Until he bumps into the man himself when exiting the gym.

 

At first, they just stare at each other before Jimin snaps and turns his face away, he prays that the elder doesn’t notice the subtle blush on his cheeks as he sidesteps out of the elder’s way.

 

“Hey.”

 

Jimin freezes.

 

“Hi…”

 

Did Yoongi recognise him? He looks really different so he shouldn’t be able to, right? 

 

“Fancy bumping into you.” Yoongi smirked “Again. You should really watch where you walk.”

 

Jimin’s mind raced a mile a minute as he tried to come up with a response.

 

“Yeah,” he answers lamely.

 

“Well, see you around,” the elder passes him and enters the gym.

 

Jimin exhaled in relief.

 

He didn’t recognise me. 

 

Jimin ignores the slight wave of disappointment and the ache in his heart.

 

He preferred it this way. Yup.

 

It’s better this way.