Song 1: House of Cards

A Song for You

Jimin shuffles nervously as he takes in the 3 bullies crowding around him. His back against the white walls of the school building feels cold, his skin clammy with sweat. This was the third time in a week that he’s being cornered by this bunch and he’s frankly sick of it. But being a weak goody-two-shoes, he could only inwardly sigh. Jimin was timid and shy by nature unless he’s on a stage so he finds giving in to the bullies requests much easier than defending himself.

 

It hurts a lot less that way too.

 

“Hey Jisuck, where’s your boyfriend this time?” One of the bullies taunted with an ugly smirk.

 

What a lame jab at his name. It doesn’t even rhyme nor is it a pun. Zero creativity and frankly just as cliché as the situation at hand.

 

“Taehyung is not my boyfriend…” Jimin mumbles. Not like the bullies will just nod in acceptance of the statement and move on. Why was he even trying to clarify?

 

“Yeah sure, Jigay .” Another bully cackles.

 

“You know… like jjigae … the stew.” And the 3 bullies double over in mocking laughter, not noticing the subtle roll of eyes Jimin gives them. Jin makes dad jokes all the time but that’s just on another level of lame.

 

“And, and… Taehyung can be Kim chi to your jigae.” The two other bullies stop, not really understanding the joke. “‘Cause Kim Taehyung…” Bully-who-thinks-he’s-so-funny rolls his eyes at his friends like it was obvious. After a slight pause, a look of realisation dawn on the two -for-brains and they all bend over guffawing once again.

 

Jimin sighs, he really wishes they can just get it over and done with; he was going to be late for math next period and his math teacher is really strict with punctuality.

 

So he clears his throat to remind them of his unfortunate presence.

 

And it works.

 

They glare at him for interrupting their fun time together and he gets a punch to his gut as one of them demands some cash from him. One of the reasons he doesn’t really bring much of his cash with him, opting to ask Taehyung or Jungkook to treat him to lunch first and paying them back later when they’re alone. The bullies are too stupid to notice his plan though, thankfully. They have the impression that Jimin’s poor and his parents don’t give him much allowance and, to Jimin’s initial surprise, doesn’t demand more from him than what he has on himself. The bullies are more interested in their show of dominance and act of superiority than the cash itself, much to Jimin’s relief. He doesn’t want to ever have to steal from his parents or get roped into something illegal. These bullies push him around but aren’t as bad as others; they’re practically harmless so he lets their dynamic be. He’s the most avoided person in the school after all, so he guesses he simply deserves this sort of treatment.

 

After his routine encounter with the three stooges, Jimin dashes across the courtyard to his next period. He’s about to make it in time when he turns the corner and barrels into someone. The impact sends them both to the floor, books clattering and papers fluttering. Jimin groans audibly as he rights himself and moves to gather the stuff he dropped before he notices a few high-pitched voices drawing nearer.

 

He barely has time to pick up his things before he’s being manhandled into the next empty classroom around the bend. There’s a warm body pressed close to him as they lean against the closed door. Jimin, still in his haze after being knocked onto his , takes a second to sober up before turning around, his mouth parted in an attempt to speak to the rude stranger. He’s sorry he bumped into this person but the stranger has no right to keep him here when he’s already late for his math class.

 

However, before a sound could leave his parted lips, a pale, cold hand is cupped over his mouth with little to no force. Jimin startles at the sudden but gentle contact and shifts his gaze from the student’s chest to his face before his breath hitches.

 

Staring at him sternly with a finger to his own lips is Min Yoongi, the school’s infamous bad boy and the most popular male student. The stunningly handsome man had bleached platinum blonde hair that curled slightly at the ends and multiple piercings lining his ears. Jimin suspects he even has a tattoo hidden somewhere too, according to rumours, it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

 

The high-pitched voices from before come through the door muffled, pulling Jimin out of his reverie.

 

“Where’d he go? Damn it. We lost him again. He has to be around here somewhere…”

 

“Maybe he’s in the courtyard. He has a period free and he’s always either under the tree or on the roof during his free time.”

 

“Yeah maybe. Ok let’s split, you 3 go to the roof and we’ll try the courtyard.”

 

And with that, light shuffles of feet could be heard as the girls scamper off in search of their object of affection, unbeknownst to them that said person was just behind the door.

 

After a few moments of silence, the pale senior removes his hand from Jimin’s mouth and steps back, sighing deeply with his eyes closed.

 

“ing hell. Why can’t they just leave me alone...” Yoongi curses under his breath. He’s seriously sick of those annoying girls following him everywhere. He just wants to write his songs in peace and he can’t do it with those plastics hovering around him noisily like flies all the time, asking questions and vying for his ing attention when he frankly has none to give.

 

“You’re the most popular guy in school.” A small, timid voice cuts through his internal grumbling.

 

Yoongi just scoffs at Jimin’s comment, “Trust me, I'd rather not be at this point.”

 

Yoongi turns to look at the boy he got stuck with to find that he was about the same height as Yoongi himself with a disastrous bowl cut that hides his eyes and a pair of thick black-rimmed spectacles. Must be one of those studious types, Yoongi reckons.

 

“Then why don’t you tell them?”

 

“It’s not that easy, kid. You won’t understand.”

 

“You’re right, I won’t.” Jimin hikes his books up in his arms making his way around Yoongi to the door. As he passes the elder, a warmth curls around his arm, tugging him back firmly but not hard enough for his books to fall.

 

“Just… Sorry I didn’t mean it like that. I’ve had a tiring day. Sorry I dragged you into this,” The elder replies sheepishly as he rubs his neck with his other hand.

 

Jimin sighs. “It’s fine, you just made me late to Mr. Lee’s class is all,” he deadpans.

 

“Oh. … I- I can go with you to explain if you want…” Yoongi offers.

 

“Nah, it’s fine really.” Jimin gives a small smile as he strides past Yoongi towards the door.

 

“Right… See you.”

 

Jimin pauses slightly at the doorway, head turned back slightly as he nods, eyes trained at the floor. And he’s out the door.

 

The elder belatedly realises that he never got a name.

 

 

 


 






“Chimchim you’re late!” Taehyung’s booming voice carries over the lot as Jimin makes his way over to his friends.

 

They had a gig tonight at the new bar that just opened at Hongdae called Bulletproof. Their band, Big Kidz, consisting of four members including him, were pretty well-known in the scene. They performed their own cover of popular pop songs, often rearranging them and making the songs their own.

 

They had first decided to form a band when Taehyung started developing an interest in the bass. His older brother, Seokjin, was already learning the guitar and he wanted something different so he decided to go for the bass guitar. “Just as deep as my voice” the young boy said.

 

Taehyung had been Jimin’s friends since elementary school and the former has heard him hum to himself on numerous occasions. His voice was pretty and suited a lot of genres so Taehyung didn’t hesitate to pull him in as the main vocals. By the start of highschool, the two, together with Seokjin, started covering songs and putting it on Youtube, garnering quite a number of followers with their first video of them singing ‘Eyes, Nose, Lips’ by Taeyang.

 

It was in the middle of their first year when Jungkook, a middle schooler, moved into the neighbourhood, right next to Taehyung’s and diagonally opposite Jimin’s house. They became fast friends with the younger and when they discovered he liked the drums, urged him to join their makeshift band. Jungkook hadn’t taken any formal lessons but he played like a natural.

 

Though they later discovered that his talent extended to other skills as well…

 

With the exception of english and math.

 

The boy was a fast, almost instinctive learner. He had a natural sense of rhythm that made it easy for him to grasp the know hows of drum arrangements. He even released his own drum cover of ‘Bang Bang Bang’ by Big Bang after a few months of jamming.

 

By the start of their second year, they had amassed quite a bit of popularity online with their numerous kpop and the occasional english cover by Jungkook (god knows how he can sing in english so accurately yet still get a 4/100 on his test) and sometimes Jimin.

 

They had their first live performance about 4 months ago at a small bar near Itaewon. Jin knew the owner who had been looking for a band to fill a 30 minute slot when one of their regulars couldn’t make it. They were nervous and jittery but excited at the prospect when Jin brought them the news. All in all, the gig had been a success. A lot of people recognised them from their Youtube covers and it further increased their popularity to the point where even fellow classmates in school knew about their band.

 

Of course, nobody could recognise the boys in school. They were worlds different than when they were on stage or in their videos. Not like the students were old enough to be around alcohol anyway. In school, nobody paid much attention to them; they were the outcasts. It worked for them though, they didn’t like the overwhelming attention and preferred to keep to their small group of three during lunch breaks.

 

“Sorry Tae. I got held back because I was late for Mr. Lee’s class today.” Jimin panted, small hand running through his styled hair in a practiced motion. He always did that when he was either nervous before a performance or abashed, a subconscious habit.

 

“Why were you late?” Tae asked with wide eyes. Jiminie was never late.

 

“Long story…” Jimin sighed, “I’ll tell you later Tae. We gotta get set up.”

 

His best friend nodded, breaking into an excited boxy grin as they strode towards the back of the bar where the stage was, diving behind the curtains to the room that housed their equipment. The bar had a pre-installed drum set so all they needed were their guitars. Taehyung went over to his electric blue bass guitar to check the tuning while Jimin sang some notes as a warm up. Jin ambled in a while later with his own off white guitar slung around his shoulder.

 

“Arr’ ya ready kids?” The elder growls in his best Spongebob imitation.

 

“Aye aye captain.” Jimin replies in a bored tone. Jin loved to crack lame jokes and bad puns, they were used to it. Jimin liked Jin though, so he usually just played along. In fairness, some of his jokes did make him double back in unbridled laughter.

 

“Urgh, so unenthusiastic Minnie.” Jin grimaced at the lacking response.

 

“Sorry, hyung… Long day.”

 

Jin simply nods and walks over to ruffle Jimin’s hair affectionately, earning a small smile from the younger. They were close enough to understand the encouraging gesture without any words needed between them; Jimin had known the pair of brothers since they were kids.

 

“We’ll be up in 10!” Jungkook peeks his head into the room, eyes wide, expression innocent; his usual default look when he was excited.

 

Jimin spends the last few minutes fussing with his hair and making sure his makeup isn’t smudged. With a deep breath, heart palpitating in nervous excitement, he makes his way through the curtains with his brothers.

 

The club is crowded and bustling with night life, though it quiets down a little as the quartet step through the curtains and onto the stage. They position themselves with their instruments as Jimin’s small hands clench around the cold metal of the microphone, feeling the familiar weight in his grip. Jimin loved singing, loved the attention his performances bring; the bright spotlights descending onto him felt warm and comforting.

 

This was his turf.

 

This was his territory.

 

This was home.

 

He drew in a deep breath and sung.

 


 

 

Yoongi is grumpy, sleepy and really not in the mood.

 

He’s been ducking in and out of classrooms the whole morning like a secret agent on a mission - said mission being trying to escape from a horde of annoying female fans that have been chasing him around school.

 

He doesn’t know why he gets all this attention to be honest. Other than the fact that he raps, he’s usually low profile and keeps to himself. Apart from Hoseok and Namjoon he’s never really exchanged more than a few words and grunts with others. He’s a recluse and he prefers it that way; he wouldn’t trade his peace and quiet for anything.

 

He’s grateful for the support and love his music gets but the girls have been driving him crazy. He just wants to write his music and be lost in his thoughts. Instead, everywhere he goes the girls will follow and hover around him like flies, asking him questions and chatting incessantly. He can tune it out most of the time but not when he wants to concentrate on his lyrics. They even wait for him outside the toilet, it’s ridiculous.

 

He doesn’t even like girls.

 

At least the guys leave him alone. Though he gets a mix of stares from them, ranging from jealousy to awe, they don’t hang around him like the girls.

 

He’s bobbing his head to the beat from his mp4, leaning against a pillar at the station with his eyes closed when a familiar screech pulls him from his inner world.

 

“Yooooooooooooooooooooongiiiiiiiiiii”

 

A lanky but lean, muscular figure bounds towards him from the station barriers, crashing into his small frame like a truck before wrapping a scowling Yoongi in his arms.

 

“Get off me Hosuck,” The blonde grumbles.

 

“Awww! You’re a grumpy cat today.” Hoseok pouts. “Nevermind, we’re gonna fix that.” He breaks into a wide heart-shaped grin, tugging Yoongi out of the crowded station and onto the streets of Hongdae.

 

They were going to visit a new club that had just opened. Hoseok’s dance instructor was affiliated with the owner and promised them a spot on their stage. The trio was there to check the place out and were supposed to meet Namjoon directly at the bar entrance.

 

“I heard they have a well-known band playing there now. We can check out the space and the competition.” Hoseok chuckled. Yoongi simply grunted in response.

 

“So why are you grumpier than usual today, hyung?” Hoseok casually asks. He’s been friends with Yoongi long enough to tell when it’s the default Yoongi or when he’s in a bad mood despite the elder looking perpetually like the world killed his cat.

 

“I spent the whole free period running away from those girls. And some dude bumped into me really hard too. My still hurts,” Yoongi complains, pouting.

 

Hoseok lets out a loud laugh before patting the elder on the back in mock sympathy. “Yoongi hyung running away from girls... What average guys would give to have that sort of attention, especially from the most popular girl in school, yet you run from it…”

 

“They’re annoying. I just want to write my ing lyrics in peace. I don’t need a ing fan club. All they do is scream and chatter in my ear. The guys in my class think I’m arrogant because I just ignore them but I really wish they’d just off and leave me the alone,” The elder grumbles. Unbeknownst to everyone else, Yoongi actually tended to ramble on when he’s excited or annoyed. Despite his normally quiet disposition, he’s quite the chatterbox when he’s around people he’s comfortable with - said people being Hoseok and Namjoon specifically(he’s not very sociable, sue him).

 

“Why don’t you just tell them to go away and leave you alone?”

 

“I’ve tried that obviously.” Yoongi rolls his eyes, why is everyone asking like I haven’t got the balls to do just that . “I told them to off and leave me alone but all it did was make them squeal even louder at how much of a bad boy I am... Like what the actual .” Hoseok snorts as he pats Yoongi’s slouched back, the latter rubbing his temples in distress, appearing thoroughly defeated.

 

Ironically, Yoongi was far from the bad boy everyone painted him as. Sure, he has a resting face, blonde hair and multiple piercings, and could be quite menacing with his low raspy tone and his string of curses. Not to mention the intense way he spat fire on stage; many of their tracks were diss raps. However, Hoseok and Namjoon knew that beneath the tough exterior was a little teddy bear who likes cakes, cuddles and wears Kumamon boxers to sleep every night. That and his cute gummy smile was all but intimidating, hence, the stage name Suga.

 

Of course, Hoseok and Namjoon drew some attention too. However, Hoseok being a natural people person and Namjoon being the school’s valedictorian, they got along well with their ‘fans’ and chatted with them like friends while Yoongi was the mysterious bad boy that everyone wanted to know and get close to. It was the allure of being a rare, special someone to the rapper that made him even more popular than his two band mates; it was a challenge that came with a mystery reward. A challenge that Yoongi deeply despised.

 


 

 

They reached the bar and spotted Namjoon leaning against a wall, gaze stuck on the stage in the front. Music spilled out of the open doors and into the surrounding streets. It was a song Yoongi recognised but the voice singing it was different. A good different.

 

The voice was sweet but not an overpowering, jarring sweet. It was fragrant like tea and had a slight husky tone like mist. Albeit high-pitched, It was clearly a guy’s voice yet it carried the subtlety and grace of a woman’s; soft, clear and powerful.

 

It pulled Yoongi in and made him forget how to breathe.

 

 

Sigani jinagalsurok 

Deo manggajyeo gagiman hae 

 

 

They joined Namjoon by the wall, thoroughly enraptured by the sound.


On stage was a band of four with a typical setup of a guitar, a bass, drums and an electric organ. The owner of the melodious voice was a chubby cheeked boy on the electric organ. He had chestnut brown hair which fell over his eyes in soft curls, held by a red and white snapback. The boy sang with his eyes closed, practiced hands pressing down on the keys in vivid familiarity as they performed an almost sinful version of House of Cards.

 

The other three had sung in turn with their own unique voices. Their combined vocals fitting smoothly over each others in different combinations as they took turns to ad lib. It was an amazing rendition that left the audience in awe.

 

“Holy . They’re good.” Hoseok gaped, eyes wide.

 

“More than good. This is amazing,” Namjoon readily agreed with a slight nod, gaze still focused on the band on stage as the song shifted to the bridge.

 

 

Siganeul Slow down 

Jogeumman deo, meomulleo jwo ohh yeahh 

 

 

And just when they thought they heard it all, the cute chestnut-haired singer belted out a note so impossibly high it made all three boys’ jaw drop.

 

 

Please Baby. Calm down 

jogeumman deo, deo, deoooooo 

 

 

“How the flying do we calm down from that?!” Namjoon murmured, eyes blown as he shakes his head in disbelief.

 

As the boy’s note comes to an end, Yoongi watches as the former slowly opens his eyes, gaze hooded and hazy like he was lost in his own world. The soulfulness made Yoongi feel something he hadn’t felt from singers in a long time - the intensity of the lyrics, the sense of depth, sadness, sorrow and pain; deliciously bittersweet.

 

It was then, Yoongi decided.

 

He wanted that voice.

 

He needed it.