-08-

Espresso

"I swear to God... You always go missing on me for a couple of weeks and then you come back with a news bigger than any of us could handle." Detective Park exhaled, still recovering from the blasting tone that woke him up at 2 AM.

 

"You know I always take my job seriously..." Byul said slightly agitated at the red light that was taking too long.

 

"Yeah, serious enough that I get worried when you don't update me on anything...", Detective Park said now stirring two cups of coffee for the long night (or morning) they were both going to have.

 

He's been used to this, ever since he was privately hired by Mr. Kim to chase after Taecyeon and his men. At first, he thought that it was a simple operation to jail bad guys threatening to harm people; little did he know that they were going after a merciless man with a misplaced ingenuity. Turns out, Taecyeon has been planning for years on how they were going to torment Mr. Kim by hurting this family. His twisted desire to see them slowly suffering is one of the reasons why the Kims are still alive today. Detective Park knows very well that Taecyeon could send out his men to instantly kill the Kims but he chose to hurt them little by little to see how horrified the parents will be to see their kids hurt. After every attempt, they switch their hideouts amongst the many properties that Ok has. 

Byul knows all of these too, much more than she would like to. Lately, the attacks have been getting worse and they have had multiple close calls with both Yongsun and Yonghee. Byul was never scared of her job--she had nothing to lose, no family, no one to grieve her death. Suddenly, she has so much to lose now, especially the woman she swore to protect who she happens to be in love with. It was wrong for her to fall, but it was the first time she has ever felt warmth like this--so she held on to it. 

 

Byul arrives at Detective Park's home, the two of them sitting in his sala while sipping the coffee he made earlier.

 

"Ack! This is so bitter..." Byul exclaimed.

 

"Oops, sorry. That's how I like my coffee. I'll get you some sugar and milk." Detective Park stood up to grab those from his cupboard.

 

"TN Inc." Byul said while the detective was wondering where his jar of sugar went.

 

"Hmm...And what about it?"

 

"I think they're planning something big. This is it, maybe."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Byul told Detective Park about Wheein's exhibit and how TN Inc. offered to sponsor it. 

 

"No." Detective Park decided after hearing the situation. "They don't want Yongsun-ssi. Not yet, at least.", he added.

 

"So, what?" Byul responded impatiently.

 

"They want to harm her friends--see if she'll react in some way."

 

"....No.... that bastard." As tears well up in her eyes, Byul felt her heart hurt. It was the type of pain that was so familiar to her, it was scary, and dark. "W-we can't let them get close...", she added while her fists curl in her seat. "I won't let him take away the people I love, not again."

 

"Byul, we will do everything we can, okay?" Hyunkyu assured the younger woman, now seething with anger. Despite this, he feels her hurt. "For now, we have to alert everyone, including Mr. Kim. And we have yet to decide how to deal with Wheein-ssi, we have to make sure that they will not meet."

 

"Byul, I know it's hard for you but we have to pull ourselves together. So help me on this one, okay?"

 

The now silver-haired woman manages to calm down after a while. She went straight to contact Mr. Kim who decided to sleep at his penthouse tonight to finish his pile of work. They agreed to meet there and Byul hurried, clenching on the steering wheel.

 

"I'm guessing this is very urgent." Mr. Kim said in his comfortable clothes, pouring some whiskey for himself. "You want some?"

 

Byul refused and immediately stated the purpose of their abrupt meeting. "Sir, I'm here to inform you of something." She then told Mr. Kim about TN Inc.'s plan and relayed Detective Park's advice a while ago. 

 

"That scumbag... I'll alert our intelligence team and we'll increase the security. For no-"

 

Mr. Kim was interrupted by a phone ringing. It was Byul's phone.

 

YONGDDUNIE was on the caller ID. Byul panicked, thankfully Mr. Kim does not know any of these--her close relationship with his daughter. Nobody in their team reported her to the boss either, weirdly. It's not like Mr. Kim prohibits it, it's just that he might not want the bodyguard he hired to secretly protect his kid to befriend her. 

 

"Don't you have to take that?" Mr. Kim asked, concerned at the startled woman in front of him. 

 

"No, sir. I'm sorry for that. Please continue."

 

The two of them discussed more on the probable steps they should take to deal with the situation. Mr. Kim assigned Byul's team to stop Wheein from meeting the representative of TN Inc. for now, while Detective Park and the rest of the intelligence team make sure that it was really Taecyeon behind this. TN Inc. is known to be one of the many small businesses affiliated with Ok Taecyeon, a paint company that he built to supply paint to his countless properties. In spite of this, they still have to verify, to avoid hurting innocent civilians. 

 

Byul then started heading home but before she did, she passed by Wheein and Hyejin's home to see if anyone's lingering around. She then went straight to Yongsun's home to make sure she's alright. She parked across her house where she won't be seen, and texted the woman. 

 

To: Yongddunie >:(

Hey unnie! Sorry I missed your call a while ago. What's up?

From: Yongddunie >:(

wHerr ari yP (where are you?)

yoI KNUW i mose u ribft (you know i miss you right?)

 

IS SHE DRUNK? IT'S 4 AM.... I CLEARLY BROUGHT HER HOME A WHILE AGO

 

Byul finally calls the older woman. 

 

"Unnie?"

"Elwo? Ohhh, Byul-ah! You're there..." Yongsun answered, her voice muffled affirming the younger's suspicion.

"Where are you?" Byul answered, slightly raising her voice, concerned about the woman.

"Psshh... Of course, I'm at home *giggles* you'll get mad at me with your pouty face if I go out this late"

Byul hesitated for a while.

"Can I come?" She finally said.

Silence

"Unnie? Hello?"

"Ok..." She finally answered.

"I'll be there..."

 

Byul had to wait for a few minutes before getting in to make it seem like she was not hanging out in Yongsun's neighborhood since a while ago. Then, she knocks and a red-faced woman answered the door.

 

"God....Why were you drinking alone? You could have called me or Wheein or Hyejin..." Byul said, still thankful that the woman's drunk state somehow made her call. She wouldn't have known if Yongsun didn't tell herself.

 

"This is your fault..." Yongsun whispered while Byul helps her to the sofa. 

 

This is dangerous Moonbyulie...

 

"Why is it my fault then? I didn't do anything?", asked Byul--flustered at their closeness. Suddenly, the pain she was feeling dissolved for a moment.

 

"Y-you're...co-confusing me, you know." Yongsun struggles to utter complete words as they both stumble unto the couch. 

 

"Why? What did I do? Tell me."

 

"I-It's...Y-you're pretty...and y-you smell n-ice." Yongsun said as she cupped Byul's face in her hands.

 

Byul felt like crying and laughing at the same time. First, at the sudden show of affection from the older woman and second, from the way she got so drunk by herself. So she did both, it's not like Yongsun is gonna remember anything in the morning, or so she thought.

 

"Unnie" Byul said, her hand reaching the older's that were cupped on her face. "I wish I could stay looking at you like this forever. I want to keep you safe in my arms...always."

 

For a moment, Byul thought that Yong sobered up at that moment. She thought that she stared at her like she understood everything she said. But Yongsun gave her no time to think when she put her hands on the back of her neck and pulled her closer. Then, there it was. The taste of red wine filled Byul's lips and the older woman's scent intoxicates her. Byul gave in, how could she not, when it was the person she'd risk everything for. So she closed her eyes, and in the brief moment that they kissed, she knew once again how good love felt like; but also, how scary it is to lose. 

 

When they pulled away, the drunk woman muttered. "You can keep me." as she closed her eyes.

 

Byul decided to carry the older woman to her bedroom, her mind filled with so many things; her heart heavy and light at the same time.

 

She was about to go, no longer wanting to face fact that she just kissed her boss' daughter, when a hand stopped her by the wrist--it was the same woman. A sleep over it is.

 

Byul spent the rest of the night staring at the silhouette of the brunette; despite the dark, she can clearly see all the perfect little details that made her insides spin and her heart explode everytime she sees Yongsun. But she also kept on seeing a woman that was unknowingly being targeted by a heartless jerk. She must have thought out too loud because the older woman snuggled her closer, as if saying, everything's gonna be alright. Atleast she thought of it that way.

 

"I will never let them hurt you and the people you love." Byul said kissing the older's forehead and drifting off to sleep herself. For a while, their world was silent as they embraced each other's warmth that no amount of coffee can replace.

 

¤_¤

HEY EVERYONE!! IT'S NICE TO BE BACK :))) THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE MOTIVATION TO CONTINUE WRITING. I HOPE Y'ALL ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. MORE ARE COMING SOON!! I WILL WRITE THE BEST THAT I CAN DURING MY MINI VACATION TO GIVE Y'ALL UPDATES. I'M SO SORRY THIS TOOK TOO LONG BUT IF YOU'RE STILL HERE, THANK YOU SO MUCH. ALSO, I KNOW SOME MOOS ARE ANXIOUS OVER THE CONTRACT ISSUE BUT I HOPE WE TRUST THE GIRLS IN WHATEVER DECISION THEY MAKE. LET'S ALL SUPPORT THE GIRLS UNTIL THE END!! 

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT SO FAR!! CAN'T WAIT TO SHARE THE REST OF THIS STORY WITH YOU. I LOVE READING YOUR COMMENTS SO PLEASE LEAVE THEM HERE. KEEP SMILING AND KNOW YOU ARE VALID :))