Chapter 2

Droplets of Love

“I’m sorry…” I paused, “we’re actually about to close, but please come in.” Seokmin hyung reacted with a raised eyebrow.

Without saying any words at all, he goes to his seat, it’s only the second time, but I’d like to call it his seat because he might probably going to look out of the window again.

“Ehem,” cough Seokmin hyung, “Okay, we’re supposed to be closing right now? Care to tell me anything?”

“Well, it’s drizzling out there, and he looks like he could use some hot cocoa,”

Seokmin hyung eventually gets back to the kitchen to wait for some orders.

“Would you like some hot cocoa, or do you want to look at the menu?” I asked him. He just sat there, and look at me emptily.

Confused, I handed him the menu book, “I really don’t know what to recommend, because you didn’t even touch the fritters yesterday, is there any kind of food you’d like?”

Tick tock tick tock, I can literally hear the clock ticking sound.

“Hot cocoa… and… c-cake,” He said shyly.

Tick tock

“Okay, hot cocoa and cake it is. Would you rather have chocolate cake or cheesecake?”

“You choose,” he looked down a little bit and then looking out of the window again, I took it as sign for me to go.

“He wants hot cocoa and cake, but want me to choose the cake flavor though…” I told Seokmin hyung.

“So, which cake would you recommend him?”

“You’re the chef, you pick,”

“But HE wants YOUR recommendation,”

I think for a little while, “I mean, isn’t it kinda feel sick if you eat and drink chocolate? Well I like it, but, I’m not sure, I think fruit cake would be better,”

“Then fruit cake it is, you take care of the cake and I’ll make the cocoa right away,”

When it’s all ready, I put them on the tray quickly bring it to him. Like always, he just sat there looking out of the window, the rain is getting heavier now.

“Enjoy your cake and hot cocoa,” I said while smiling at him and quickly went back to my counter.

Greeted with Seokmin’s apologetic face, I sighed knowing what will come next.

“I’m so so sorry Seungkwan-ah, I think I might have to leave earlier, I didn’t expect we’re going to take customer. Soonyoung is almost here,” he said.

“But it’s raining hard outside?”

“He, um, he brought his car as well,”

“Why are you blushing about?? Alright, alright, just go, I’ll take care of it,” I sighed again. He mouthed thank you a lot of time.

It was really quiet now at the store, all I can hear is raindrops, clock’s ticking, and sounds of breathing. It was awkward, yet, nice.

“Excuse me,” the guy’s voice startled me a little but I went to his seat.

“How may I help you?” I answered him, he’s almost done with his cocoa and he’s eating the cake, I can’t help but naturally smile at him.

“Can I… can I get more cocoa?” He asked.

“I’m sorry, our chef is actually already went home…”

He looks disappointed, but then he look at me in the eyes, and he said “Can you.. make one for me?”

Okay am I blushing??

“I’m not sure if you’d like it but I’ll try to do my best,”

Just like that, I went to the kitchen, it’s not exactly my first time making hot cocoa per se, but this is somehow making me nervous.

“Here you go,” I served him the hot cocoa I just made, “Hope you like it,” I was about to go back to my counter but he HELD my hand for a second and immediately take it away as well when we both notice.

“I’m sorry, can you… stay here? Sit with me I mean?”

There’s thunder right after he said it, I was frozen at that moment, seriously not knowing what’s happening. Awkward silences come creeping in again.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to,” he looked away, to the window, again, of course.

“no no no, it’s okay, I’ll stay here with you, it’s not like there’s anyone else or anything for me to do, so, I could just sit here right?”

He just nodded.

 We just sat there, no one is talking, it’s awkward but yet it feels nice.

“Can I ask a question?” I said, he answers with a nod.

“Why didn’t you eat the fritters yesterday?”

He was about to answer but he paused for a little bit and quietly answer, “I prefer sweet foods,” while looking at his second cup of hot cocoa. “The hot cocoa, it’s really good,” he said as he sipped it.

“I’ll keep it in mind, you like sweet foods,” I chuckled, “and thank you for liking our hot cocoa, mine probably not taste as good as the one you had before, but it’s not bad either, right?”

“It’s good, I like it, but um,” he hesitated. “Why isn’t there Hot Cocoa on the menu book?”

I was taken aback, so he did look at the menu book.

“Our hot cocoa are only served by recommendation, it’s a little bit of our weird policy, we make hot cocoa for those who we think might need them” I smiled feeling so embarrassed to answer his question, because I’m the one who made this stupid policy. “I mean, it’s also because we don’t have that much worker, Seokmin hyung basically cook alone, well sometimes there were also some helper, but he’s not always around, and we don’t exactly have a barista so I don’t think putting a lot of beverages menu would be a nice idea. I mean, hot cocoa is not hard, but it’s easier to make lemonade and stuff. Well, we do have someone who helps on making the drinks so Seokmin hyung can focus on foods. And our part-timer also really helps a lot, easier drinks I can help making it but well you know it’s not bad but it’s not perfect. It’s a small café that’s why there’s not much choices of menu to be honest, but we have the commitment to serve the best foods even though there’s not much menu to choose,” I babbled and I realized I’ve talked too much. He just sat there, looking at me, listening to my nonsense, but he smiled.

“I’m so sorry, I probably talked to much am I? I’m sorry I’ll stop talking now,”

“No, no, it’s okay…” he paused again, “you’re cute.”

I swear to God, what is wrong with me, what is wrong with him, why is my face feels so hot, am I blushing too much?

“Um, thank you? I guess?” I said feeling confused, “So, what’s your name?”

He’s no longer looking out of the window, he’s no longer feel like a cold person, now he keeps looking at me, with a soft smile, as he answer,

“Vernon, Hansol Vernon Chwe, but, you can call me Hansol,”

“Well, hello Hansol, I’m Seungkwan, Boo Seungkwan,” I replied.

Cling

“Seungkwan-ah, are you still open? Why are you still here??”

“Oh? Seungcheol hyung, why are you here?”

“I passed by and saw the light to the store is still on, and here you are, is this customer refused to leave or what?” Said Seungcheol hyung with a stern look, shooting laser through his eyes towards Hansol.

“No, no, he’s my friend,” I said as I stood up, Hansol then take my hand.

“It’s okay, it’s time for me to go anyway, how much is everything?” He stood up as well taking out his wallet and gave me 20,000krw “this should cover everything right? Keep the change, I’ll be leaving now.”

“You’ll come again, right?” I asked him and he just smiled and leave, he even bow to Seungcheol hyung as well.

“Aaahh hyuuung, why did you do that??” I slapped Seuncheol hyung in the shoulder when I’m sure Hansol is not around anymore.

“Whaat? I thought he was bothering you, didn’t you see the time? It’s 11pm already! Who is he anyway? Is he really your friend? I haven’t seen him before. Anyway, let’s talk on the way, I’ll take you home,”

I sighed.

“I still have to cleaned up, wait for a bit, okay hyung?”

“Sure, I’ll help,”

Seungcheol hyung is a close friend of mine and Seokmin hyung, well he basically a close friend of everyone I knew because he’s the one who introduced them. He’s really mature yet childish and can be over protective sometimes, but he’s a really good person.

We keep bickering as we cleaned up even on the way home, but I’m thankful, he brought me home with his car.

“Are you going to come up as well?”

“Nah, I’ll passed tonight, it’s late, say my hello to Seokmin, I’ll visit the store later when I have the time, okay? I miss Seokmin’s food,”

“Sure I’ll tell him that, be sure to come! We’ll give you some freebies as well, thank you for the ride hyung,”

With that, Seungcheol hyung make his way home.

“WHOA!!!”

“Aagh, you startled me!” I screamed which makes the other guy laughed his off.

“Soonyoung hyung you’re here? Are you going to stay over?” He’s still laughing, “Happy? Are you happy?”

“Well you look like you’re the one who’s happy? Why are you home this late?”

“He’s right, why are you this late? Did you have a nice talk with that guy?” Seokmin hyung chimed in with some freshly sliced fruits.

I flopped myself to the couch and sighed.

“It’s more like I do the talk and he listened to me babbling. But at least I found out his name, then Seungcheol-hyung came in, he thought the guy was holding me back because the store is still open. And then he leave the store after paying, so Seungcheol-hyung gave me a ride home, and now here I am talking to you guys,”

“Why didn’t you tell Seungcheol-hyung to come in then? I haven’t seen him in a while.” Asked Seokmin.

“Really? That what you picked from what I just told you? He said it’s late already and he will visit the store if he has the time.”

“What about the guy? What’s his name?” Asked Soonyoung-hyung curious.

“Hansol Vernon Chwe,”