Day Four

Love Makes You Evil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day Four  ||  Jeju Island
..Continued


They had hiked back down the path and arrived at the diving spot half an hour ago and after getting breakfast they were changing from their clothes into the diving gear.

As the girls followed the instructor to the boat Johnny took hold of Jackson's arm and held him back, giving him the look. The ‘I have a problem that surprisingly only you can help me with’ look. They stayed back and once they were out of ear shot they began speaking.

“What's up?” Jackson asks.

“This is kinda random but, have you, ever been in… love?”

Jackson whirls around to face him, a look of feigned horror in his eyes, “Are you comin’ onto me?”

Johnny gives him wry look, and with as monotone a voice as possible he says, “Yes Jackey I am hitting on to you. I am secretly trying to get you to confess your love for me because I love you. Will you marry me?”

Jackson burst out with laughter, “Dude that’s not just a random question it's weird. Why are you askin’ me that?”

“Just answer the question!”

Jackson sighs, scratching the back of his head, “Does it look like I’ve ever been in love?”

Johnny opens his mouth, planning on a wisecrack retort but Jackson continues, “Of course not! I don’t do love man. Love is for wussies.”

“So you have never loved another human being other than your parents?”

“Nope. Not one. Unless I can include myself.”

Johnny bites his bottom lip, he pulls up the tight diving suit, slipping his arms through the sleeves and zipping up.

“Why do you ask?” Jackson finishes up zipping his own suit.

Johnny shakes his head, “I was just wondering if you could help me figure something out but if you don’t even understand the concept of love I don’t think you can help-”

“Woah! Listen man, I might not have ever fallen prisoner to the trappings of love,” Jackson pretend to gag, “But I know a thing or two about woman. And by a thing or two I mean everything. I know everything about woman and what makes them tick so go ahead, lay it on me.”

Johnny stares off towards the boat where both girls are now laughing at something the instructor said. He stares at Wendy and something churns in his stomach. Either guilt or a frenzied need to have her. He can’t tell anymore.

Johnny is lost, he needed some kind of help, some kind of advice, he didn’t know what. But if anyone could help him, even if it was just Jackson he didn’t want the opportunity to pass him by. Jackson was an idiot but he was right. He did know things.

“Okay, let's say, figuratively,” Johnny emphasizes that what he is about to say is metaphorical, not wanting Jackson to know too much about what he was going through. Jackson nods for Johnny to continue.

“Let’s say you had a girlfriend that you loved more than anything, but…” Johnny trails off. It was hard to even think about let alone say that he might be into someone else.

“But…” Jackson prys.

“What if you started having feelings for someone else?”

“Have you been talking to Wendy?”

Johnny stiffens, “What do you mean?”

“Well she mentioned something similar, she said there was this guy she liked that she couldn’t be with because he was already in a relationship.”

“Yeah she asked me for some advice but I don’t really know what to tell her.” Johnny lies, “What did you say?”

“You know why I don’t have a girlfriend? Because I’m swayed easily. My heart changes desires faster than I can change my clothes. One day I like one girl and the next another. Look man we’re young, we shouldn’t be confined to a single person when we don’t know what else is out there. If I had a girlfriend how would I know she’s the one? I wouldn’t. Not unless I’ve searched everywhere for her.”

“So you’re saying if you had a girlfriend and begun to have feelings for someone else you would break up with her and date the other girl.”

“Sure,” Jackson shrugs, “I mean look at it this way, if a guy is really ‘in love’ with his girlfriend then he wouldn’t be into someone else.”

“So if I brought this guy before you what would you say to him?”

“First I’d beat his for messing around with Wendy. She’s too naive and she doesn’t need to be around someone who is just going to use her and take her love for granted. Second I’d tell him to ditch the housewife because seriously you can’t love two woman at once. If you loved the first one you wouldn’t have fallen for the second.”

Johnny nods, Jackson had a point. But what was that supposed to say about him? He did love Seul Gi but then again he had some type of feelings for Wendy. Feelings he’d never had for anyone one before. Feelings he couldn’t even name. 

“I need your help with something.” Johnny mutters as he picks up his oxygen tank and slings it over his shoulder. Jacksons eyebrows rise in question.

“I need you to keep Seul Gi busy for me for a while this afternoon.”

Jackson frowned, “You want me to keep your girlfriend busy?..” Johnny nods, “During this trip?..” Again he nods, “That you specifically came on to spend time, with her?.. I don't get it.”

“Look I have something I need to deal with and I won't be able to do it with her around.”

“I mean yeah ok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter