Day Three

Love Makes You Evil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day Three  ||  Jeju Island
Distance  ||  327 kilometers
Travel Time  ||  5 hours, 15 minutes (by car and ferry)


All Wendy had needed was rest. The next morning she awakens, signs of the fever are long gone and she is ready for the day ahead. It is only six in the morning and everyone is still asleep so Wendy goes out to buy breakfast. On her way out of the apartment she runs into Jackson.

“Hey, you're up early,” she states, eyes narrowing.

“Yeah, I slipped out for a run earlier, unlike Johnny boy I have to work to keep this figure,” She takes a look at his clothes, they are not the same ones from yesterday.

“Well that's something I never thought I'd hear.”

Jackson throws his head back and lets out a laugh, “Anyways where are you going?”

“Everyone's still sleeping so I thought I'd get some food before they wake up.”

“Good I'm starving, I'll come with.”

The pair walks down the street for some time until they come across a small cafe, the smell of fresh baked bread wafts out from the open doorway, dancing around them like a sensual lover. They go in.

After ordering a few things they sit at a table and wait for the employee behind the counter to pack it all up.

“So how'd it go last night?”

“Fine for the most part, I can't remember much of it cuz I was so wasted but I'm sure Bae and I hit it off.”

This time it is Wendy who laughs. Jackson Wang had moved to Seoul last semester and while the rest of the student body avoided him Wendy, Johnny, and even Seul Gi became instant friends. They had learned that once you get past the dirty jokes and the insistent -dog-ness that is Yuta he is a pretty cool guy.

“I'm sure you did.”

“You feeling any better?”

“I'm feeling great, I think all I needed was some rest and to stop thinking about what happened with J-” she stops herself before she gives anything away. She almost said his name. She almost let on that something happened between her and her best friends boyfriend. Jackson raises an eyebrow.

“Um,” Wendy tries to come up with something to say, “I've just been thinking a lot lately, about this guy..”

Jackson grins, “oh yeah? Someone's actually managed to win the heart of little Winnie?”

“Stop calling me that,” she smacks him on the shoulder. “It's complicated anyways.”

“How so?”

“Well for starters he's not exactly available,” Wendy says cautiously. She doesn't know how much she can say to Yuta but figures if she tells him enough maybe he will have some advise.

“And?”

Wendy frowns, “and he's taken, he's in a relationship, someone's already on the saddle..”

Jackson snorts rolling his eyes, “So? Winnie unless he's married he's still up for grabs.”

“Jackson that's horrible! What if you had a girlfriend and found out she Johnny were sleeping around? You'd be pissed.”

“Look if the situation was switched and I was after his girl and I actually liked her, something more than just a physical attraction then I would do anything to make her mine. Sure the person being cheated on would be pissed but you can't tell me if the situation were set up for them that they wouldn't use it just as well. People are selfish Winnie that's just the way it is.”

“That's not selfish, that's evil..” Would Seul Gi have done the same thing I did? She thinks, maybe. But soon after she would have come clean, unlike Wendy Seul Gi didn't hide anything. She is an open book.

“Why'd you bring it up? Have you guys been together?”

“It's nothing, just.. I really want to be with him and I think he feels the same way but he hasn't exactly broken it off with his girl. He doesn't seem like he's even going to try.”

“Wendy if I know you at all I know you out of most people deserve to be happy. But I also know that you'd rather suffer than take what's rightfully yours. If you like this guy go for it. If it's meant to be everything will turn out great. Everyone deserves to be selfish at least once in their life.”

Wendy looks deeply in Jackson's eyes and the usual mischief is not there, he really believes in what he's told her. And who knows maybe he is right. But Wendy knows she can never allow herself this.

When her mom left, Wendy's dad suffered immensely, and Wendy could see the way Seul Gi looked at Johnny, it was the same way her dad had looked at her mom. And frankly, Wendy didn't want to be the one to drive them apart. They had something special going and Seul Gi was her best friend, her sister.

The employee called out to them and the rose, Jackson took the the bags of food and they walked back to the apartment.

They were in Jeju Island by nightfall. They had decided to stay a bit longer in Boryeong and by the time they left it was pretty late. Today they would be sleeping in the van. Seul Gi parks the car near the entrance of the Jeju Olle-Gil and everyone files out of the car, stretching their bodies. Wendy hears a few clicks as her joints lock into place and while the others continue to wake up she goes to the back of the van to get her hiking gear.

She opens the back doors and ruffles things around, Jackson collects his gear and goes back to the front of the van. Wendy takes out a the biggest pack and places it on the floor at her feet, she knows it holds both Seul Gi and Johnny's possessions. Johnny comes up behind her as she leans forward to reach her own bag, it is the furthest away from the door.

Placing a gentle hand in her waist he reaches far into the back and grabs the bag she was reaching for, pulling it close and handing her the strap.

Wendy holds her breath, he is so close. She takes the back bag and he smiles, grabbing the one on the floor and walking off. Wendy groans inwardly.

She knows she has decided against being with him for Seul Gi’s sake but this was torture.

“Okay guys lets go, I wanna get to the top before it gets too dark!” Seul Gi says in a loud voice.

They are hiking up Sanbangsan Mountain. It was a beautiful place and although the weather is hot they enjoy their trek up the mountain. Seul Gi chats the entire way up and Wendy is grateful for her. With Johnny there she wasn't feeling to chippy, not with everything that's happened lately and she is grateful that her best friend hates silence. They make it to the mark off point Seul Gi had crossed off on her map by nine o’clock, as indicated by the her cell phone. The night brings with it a slight chill.

“I love the outdoors!” Seul Gi exclaims, the smile on her face emanating joy.

“I wish you would have told me we were going to be in the middle of no where, I would have brought a friend.” Jackson mutters.

“Shut up Jackson! Now come here and help me set up a campfire. Babe? Can you get me some branches or something?”

Johnny laughs, making a joke about setting the forest on fire and walks deeper into the woods, disappearing behind a big tree. Wanting to be helpful as well Wendy walks away in the other direction. She walks through the trees picking up fallen branches along the way.

She's busy for no longer than eight minutes when she hears a noise behind her. Wendy whirls around raising the big log she'd found earlier over her head, fearful of what is out there but is faced only with Johnny.

“Woah, it's okay, it's just me.”

But it isn't okay, Wendy thinks, because you are more dangerous than any other animal I could have encountered.

“You feeling alright? I never got the chance to ask earlier.”

Wendy nods lowering her weapon, “Yeah I feel great, thanks for um.. thank you for taking..um, care of me.” The words don't seem to come out as smooth as she hoped they would.

She doesn't want Johnny knowing he has any affect on her.

“No problem, happy to help a friend.”

A friend, Johnny thinks. She's just that, a friend. His girlfriends best friend at that. So why did he want her so badly? Why does he feel like he's literally holding back, why are his muscles tense? With nothing but the moonlight to lit her small

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter