Day One

Love Makes You Evil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day One  ||   Incheon, South Korea
Distance  ||  275 kilometers
Travel Time  ||  3 hours, 9 minutes

 

Son Wendy takes in a deep breath, inhaling the crisp village breeze and trying not to contemplate about the complicated journey ahead.

They’re going on a road trip. The four of ‘em. It’s going to be a disaster.

“I’m so excited!” Kang Seul Gi squeals. She skips over to Wendy throwing her arms around her best friend as the boys load the van. Seul Gi doesn’t see Wendy’s mouth twist into a grimace. She still doesn’t know. Wendy doesn’t think she will ever tell her now.

One thing is for sure, her heart hasn’t stopped thundering around in her chest since Seul Gi called her up yesterday to give her the news that she was back together with Seo Johnny and that he would be accompanying them on their road trip. She barely even slept last night. Her stress had manifested itself into a stomach ache.

“Oh, I almost forgot something! I’ll be right back.” Seul Gi gives her best friend one last squeeze before running up to the stone house and disappearing inside. Wendy stands there for a moment before deciding that the ‘ignore it ever happened’ approach is probably best for this situation. She moves towards the van and helps the boys load the rest of the stuff.

Eight minutes later they are done, the three of them hanging around the vans open cargo door, waiting for Seul Gi to return.

“I don’t know about the two of you but I’ve been needing this vacation for months. The next fourteen days are going to be the best time of our lives,” Jackson Wang grins from ear to ear.

It was Seul Gi’s idea to go on this trip so that they could show their foreign friend the beautiful and culture driven places South Korea has to offer.

Johnny chuckles, “Yeah just do us a favor and don’t contract any STDs for the next two weeks will you?” he says, shoving his friend playfully, “Don’t forget we’re going to be in close proximities and I don’t want to catch anything.”

“Sorry dude, I’m not making those sorts of promises. An adventure through the country’s coastal cities promises gorgeous scenic views, amazing seafood feasts, and unsurpassed opportunities to get laid. Whatever happens between Incheon and Sokcho I have no control over so bring disinfectant.”

“Jackson you’re disgusting,” Wendy chimes in, for a second she is able forget about the big problem that could potentially ruin her friendship.

“Yeah but you guys still love me,” he smiles, poking her in the ribs.

“No, we tolerate you, to be honest I don’t even think your own mother loves you,” Johnny jokes, Jackson sticks up the middle finger, laughing at the joke, “We should probably use the bathroom before we leave,” Johnny advises.

Jackson nods, “I’ll go first, I’ve been holding it in all morning, be right back.”

Her stomach ache worsens with everyone of Jackson’s departing steps. She refuses to turn around and face him. There is a long silence and Wendy is hopeful that Johnny won’t bring it up. Maybe he is just as torn about it as she is.

“Are we not going to talk about it?” Johnny whispers, the words being carried to her by the soft wind.

Johnny’s voice is like thunder in her ears, lightning courses through her veins.

She should have expected this. She had expected this. She just never figured it would happen sooner rather than the later she had so longingly wished for. What is she supposed to do now?

A hand settles gently on her shoulder and she shivers, Johnny turns her around to face him.

“You didn’t tell her.” It wasn’t a question.

“Neither did you,” Wendy’s voice comes out shaky, barely audible over the soft hush of the wind.

“I didn’t know this was going to happen Wendy, if I did I would have never-”

Johnny’s sentence trails off, she gazes into his eyes and can see he doesn’t want to finish it. Doesn’t want to say it out loud. But Wendy doesn’t need him to finish in order to know what he was going to say.

'If I did I would have never slept with you…'

She takes another deep breath willing her treacherous heart to stop it’s ongoing quaking.

Wendy knows better. Seul Gi is her best friend and Johnny is her boyfriend, they’d been in an ‘on again, off again’ relationship for the past three years. She doesn’t know why she thought this last break up would be any different. Perhaps it’s because this was the longest they’d ever been apart, one month to be exact. Somehow, in the last few day's Wendy had begun to think things might turn out different.

And because of her idiot mistake she is in this situation now.

“Johnny you don't have to explain anything to me, I get it you guys have been together for a long time, I should have held back,” she says looking into his eyes, there is something in them she doesn’t understand.

He reaches a hand up, caressing her cheek, his fingers trace a trail of fire unto her skin. He takes a step closer.

“I’m sorry, you’re keeping a secret from your best friend because of me.”

“Since we’re in the same situation I guess I should apologize too.”

“I never meant to hurt Seul Gi and I never meant to hurt you.”

Wendy looks into his sincere eyes and realizes that the look in his eyes- it’s the same look that must be in hers. She knows this is wrong, he is with her best friend, Seul Gi is a good person, she is like a sister to Wendy. But that fact doesn’t stop the attraction she has for him.

For the longest time she can remember Wendy has loved Johnny. And when Seul Gi told her she was going out with him all those years ago Wendy was truly happy for them.

Because she knew them both and they were indeed perfect for eachother but her feelings never went away. And for the last three years she had hidden away how she truly felt.

Until last week.

Seul Gi and Johnny were always breaking up and getting back together but the breaks never lasted for more than a week. And this last time because they had spent so much time apart Wendy thought it was truly over between them and she couldn’t keep her feelings to herself anymore and so she told Johnny how she truly felt.

She hadn’t known what was going to happen when she told him she just knew she had to say something before she spent the rest of her life dreaming of what could have been.

Wendy remembers that day last week when she showed up to his apartment. One second she was at home doing the laundry and the next she found herself outside his door.

His closeness sends shivers down her spine and she almost kisses him in that second. Instead she pushes away his hand and moves a few feet away.

“Johnny I don’t think we should be alone together. It’s not right and we owe it to Seul Gi. We can’t betray her again.”

“That’s what's so confusing,” he says and when she looks into his eyes it is there once again. The strange spark, the wild look, the forbidden emotion.

“Wendy I don't know who I’m betraying anymore, whether it’s Seul Gi... or you. I don’t know what I want anymore, I think I’m… I think I’m in love with you...”

Her heart lurches. Hadn’t she wanted to hear these words before? Hadn't she waited years to hear those exact words? But in this moment they make her sick. Maybe, maybe if he had said this a week ago. Maybe if he hadn’t returned to Seul Gi, maybe she could have accepted his feelings then. But she can’t now. Because her best friend is still in love with him and he is hers.

“Don’t say that Johnny!” she whispers harshly. If she doesn’t end this conversation soon he will most likely notice the tears in her eyes.

“None of this,’ Wendy motions between them, “whatever this is… none of it matters anymore. We don’t matter, whatever happened between us has to stay locked away in the past forever.”

“What if I don’t want to leave it there?”

Wendy looks him in the eyes, “You don’t have a choice anymore Johnny, this thing between us, died the minute you said yes to Seul Gi.”

He searches her face for a minute. Trying to figure out if she truly means it or if it is the hurt talking. Johnny is losing his mind. Or at least it feels like he is. He had never meant for any of this to happen and now look at where he is. Look at what he’d done to Wendy.

Since the moment they met back in freshman year Seul Gi has been the light of his life. Sure they were a complicated couple but he loves her. And until last week he thought he was going insane after their last break-up. That is until Wendy showed up alone on his door step. Any gentlemen would have sent her away. Any smart, loyal, responsible man would have given her a coat and some taxi money and sent her on her way home. But not him. Johnny was selfish.

And that day he had been feeling the lowest of lows, the loneliest he’d ever felt before. Which is why he’d let her in. It was all his fault. He had known for a while that Wendy had a crush on him. It would have been hard not to notice with the way her gaze lingered on him, the way she smiled at his jokes, the way she said his name. He had known for a while but because he’d been with Seul Gi he’d paid little to no attention to it. That is until Seul Gi wanted no claim on him and he was alone.

It was the longest they’d been apart and he thought it was the end, and he hated it. So when Wendy came to him he figured he had nothing to lose. But the very next day Seul Gi called him up and said she was miserable without him. He was weak... He went to her without even a second thought about Wendy.

Now a week later and he no longer knows what he wants, the only thing he knows for sure is that he is screwed. This road trip would be the end to one of them.

Johnny looks at Wendy, she is trying to hide the tears

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter