Chapter 6

Change

Jinyoung's sanity was crumbling under your unwavering stare, especially with you smiling so widely at him in that pastel blue lace dress - a total change from the hoodies that he had gotten accustomed to. 

Not to forget, you were pinching onto his red ears gently while giggling. 

‘You’re really excited to see me.’ For the very first time, Jinyoung felt that his brain was dysfunctioning, he could not register whether or not the words coming out of his mouth made sense. Heck, he did not even know if he was still speaking words. 

All he wanted to do was to get some alone time, get a breath of fresh air, and hopefully get his mind distracted from you - something which he found himself trying to do lately. That was before this lightning bolt jolted out of nowhere - to have himself walking straight into you, miles away from your usual hideout. 

‘It’s not everyday you get to bump into a friend three provinces away from school!’ You grinned, ‘What are you doing here?'

'Uh- Here?'

Come on, get a hold of yourself! Jinyoung mentally screamed at himself as he looked at you. 

But it was getting harder by the second. ‘Do you have any plans?’ You asked as you linked your arm around his, literally bobbing on your wedges in excitement. 

‘N-No?’ 

‘Yay! Can we hang out?’ Jinyoung could not even utter a single word as his mouth hung open while he stared at you for a good few seconds, not that he hasn't been doing it from the second his eyes landed on you. ‘Yes! Alright, let me go up and change! You wait right here, and don't go anywhere!’

You were truly excited, glad that your plans took a turn for the better and that you no longer have to be cooped up in your room. Just that you forgot why you were supposed to be hidden in the first place - with your plans to avoid Jaebum, the very person who was waiting in the lobby for you, totally slipped off your mind. 

It went without saying that you did not notice that Jinyoung was not the only one who had been staring at you the entire time. 

Don't tell me that 'Oppa' from the other day was real? And he's Jinyoung?

And by the look on the younger male's face throughout his interaction with you, Jaebum knew. 

Yoonjung is that friend from school. 

 

 

Jaebum found himself rooted to the spot as he waited along with Jinyoung for you to return. 

He said- she's just a friend. That's what he said. 

The younger male was still visibly confused at what had just struck him, unsure if he was hallucinating. How- did we end up meeting here? Are we really going out together? Jinyoung questioned as he raked his hand through his hair, glancing up at the elevator while he paced front and back. 

And he said it'll stay that way. As friends.

/ It's nothing- It's like a trip to the convenience store outside campus to get snacks. We're just going to hang out for a while. 

Jaebum watched as Jinyoung came to a still, finally accepting the reality and tidying his hair back down. 

And that grin. 

Nobody could have missed such a bright grin from Jinyoung. Definitely not Jaebum. 

 

 


'Let's go!!!' Jinyoung was startled again when he found a pair of arms hooked around his as he was dragged towards the main entrance of the lobby. 

Is that- really her? She calls him oppa. She asks him to hang out with her. What with this double standard? ... And why on earth did she change into that?

'I've never seen you wearing this before.' Jinyoung could not help but to point out the exact same thing that was on Jaebum's mind. 

'Oh- This?' You looked down at your blue blouse and the white skirt which you have chosen to match with it- That was when you remembered your 'infamous fashion sense' as quoted from Eunjin. 'D-Does it look awful? I just thought- Since I'm here, might as well take it as a little vacation and to dress nicer than usual...'

Seeing your eyebrows furrowing together, Jinyoung felt your grip on his arm loosening and unconsciously found himself tugging your hand back, pulling you closer to his side, 'It suits you. You look really cute in it, don't worry.' 

'You're just saying that because you're nice.' Nonetheless, that comment was enough to please you as you got your smile back. 'Do you have anywhere that you want to go?'

'Not in particular, what about you?'

'Then can we go look at something? I saw a mall near here yesterday.'

'Aren't you already pulling me towards the mall?'

'Yeap!'

 

 

 


'Are you okay with going in there?' Upon getting pulled to a stop together with your concerned tone, Jinyoung glanced at the store that the both of you were standing before.  

'Why not? You make it sound as though you're about to bring me into a haunted house.'

'I just wanted to be sure- Some people might be sensitive to strong scents and wouldn't like these kind of shops.' 

'I've never heard someone this worried about entering a candle shop before.' Jinyoung chuckled, seeing how you genuinely found it a concern, pulling you into the store instead.

 

 

'What about this?' You asked as you lifted another jar towards Jinyoung, only to get a nod from him. 

Jinyoung followed closely next to you as you looked through every single jar of scented candle available- taking joy in watching the expressions on his face. When he found it nice, he would nod once- occasionally grabbing it again for a second sniff. Else, his eyebrows would etch together before the jar is quickly returned to where it came from.

'This one is nice.' Before your hand even made it halfway towards-

'No.' The jar was removed from your hand and placed back onto the shelves, a firm hand on your shoulder nudging you down the aisle.

'What- Why!' Jinyoung was about to laugh at your exasperation but he kept a stern face, wanting to tease you for a bit. 

'We've been through half of the jars available, I know what you've been up to.'

'W-What do you mean.' Did he really-

'When you like it, you'll ask 'What about this?'. When you're trying to be funny with a strange scent, you'll say 'This one is nice.' and shove it in my face.' 

How did he- 'I didn't shove it-' You internally questioned if his eyebrow could be raised even higher, frowning at him. 'Well- You ended up checking everything that I tried anyway! So it wouldn't matter if it's a strange one or not!'

'Now you're just flustered because I caught on.'

'Sheesh I was just trying to have fun.'

'In a candle shop?'

The skeptical look and the raised eyebrow- You knew Jinyoung was just making fun of you. 'Stop it! Oompf-' Another customer, seemingly even more excited than you to be exploring scented candles, accidentally bumped into you-

'Be careful.' Jinyoung's arm immediately found it's way over your shoulder as he steered you away from the shelves, pulling you towards his chest, his tone immediately gentler than just moments before. 'You don't want to break anything here.'

'That was a close one- Thank you!' Looking down at you at such a close proximity, especially with you smiling back at him. To think that he thought his heart was broken since that day- ... The rate at which it was beating now told him otherwise. 'O- My phone- It's my mom-'

With a quick glance at the phone vibrating in your hand, you were quickly steered out of the increasingly crowded store in order for you to answer the call.  

'Jung, where did you go?'

'Oh- I bumped into a friend and am out for a while.'

'You didn't forget about dinner with the family right?'

'Of course I didn't! I'll make it back in time!' Right! Dinner- I nearly did forget...

'Okay, see you later. Remember to bring Gyeom along.'

'Yeap okie see you!'

That was fast. Jinyoung was slightly disheartened at how your trip out got abruptly shortened, not realising the amount of time the both of you have actually spent in the store. 'Do you need to return to the hotel already?'

'Soon, but not yet! I just have to make it in time for dinner with my relatives.' He could feel your hand tugging onto his arm back towards the direction of the shop, but of course, it was not enough to move him especially if he decided to stay put. 

'Let's head back first then.'

'But we barely spent much time out!' You pouted. And what he was worried of just a mere second ago, happened again - his heart skipped a beat.

'We can grab a drink from the cafe near here and take a walk along the river back.' 

'Yay okay!' You chirped excitedly, and before Jinyoung could lead you in the direction of the cafe, he found himself getting pulled away from the candle shop by you, and this time, he complied. 

 

 

 

'Are you sure you're not cold?' Jinyoung asked again as the both of you started to make your way back. It was getting late and the breeze was getting stronger, especially by the river. He wouldn't have been worried if you were fully wrapped up in your hoodie and pants as usual but he was certain that your current outfit does not provide much warmth.

'I'm alright!' You grinned, sipping on your drink as you hopped closer to the side of the path- Only to have a firm grip over your shoulder as you were pulled up against his side.

'You'll fall in if you're not being careful.'

'I just wanted to get closer to the water...'

'Which is exactly how you would end up falling in.' Jinyoung saw a slight pout on your face and was almost certain you could feel how fast his heart was racing with you right next to him. However, he soon felt you tapping on his arm over your shoulder which he had no intention of removing. 'You're not cold but I am.'

This helps? But it was quickly replaced with another question that appeared in your mind- 'Right, I didn't get to ask you- What are you doing here in Daejeon? And in the hotel?' You asked, tilting your head up to look at Jinyoung, especially so when he was this close to you.

'My friend dragged me here. He said that I needed some time off to think.'

'Oh-' The dip in tone and the slight furrow of your eyebrows was a reaction that Jinyoung saw coming. 'Then aren't I disturbing you today?'

'No, it's better to have you around. It was fun today.'

'We only dropped by the candle shop.' And as quick as your mood dipped, your cheery tone came back, something that Jinyoung really admired- your optimism. 'We can hang out more when you're free!'

'Of course.' 

Only when Jinyoung noticed the rustling of the leaves and the sound of the wind in the trees did he realize the silence between the both of you.  

'You're not going to ask me about what I was supposed to think about?'

'Hmm? If you wanted to say, you would have told me.'

She just keeps giving me more reasons to fall for her, doesn't she? 'Do you remember the sighing that ticked off a lot of people around us back in school?'

'Definitely! You didn't know how worried I was- The girls behind us actually looked like they were about to harm you.' You chuckled softly, hoping to lighten the mood. 

'I broke up.'

'Oh.' Was all that you managed to utter. This time, the silence which ensued was an uncomfortable one for you. You never knew how to console someone when it came to this, despite the many times you found yourself next to Eunjin when she was wallowing in despair. 'I'm sorry- I don't have any experience with that so I'm not sure what to say to help you.' And not knowing the full story- I don't want to accidentally hurt you with my words either. Neither do I want to undermine your feelings. 

'It's alright. You don't have to worry about that.'

'Jinyoung.'

'Hmm?'

'Are you in a better place now though?'

All the times he had spent with you thus far flashed aross his mind. And to be here spending time with you in a carefree manner without worrying about school- 'Yes, yes I am.'

'That's great to hear.' 

Jinyoung knew that your gentle smile at him was your attempt in comforting him, but at the same time, he spotted something off. 


'I broke up.'

You remembered the dark cloud looming above Jinyoung's head the first few times you saw him ever since the first night you bumped into him in the convenience store. 


'Oh, she didn't tell you did she? I'm her boyfriend.'

'Oh- I didn't know that she- you're-'

Jaehwan's frown remained vivid in your memory, even though it lasted for merely a second before he covered it up with a smile.


Not to forget the many times Eunjin was distraught and bedridden whenever her relationships ended. 


'Park Yoonjung, go out with me.'

Why is he- popping up in my head-


... I'm scared- I'm scared of relationships. 

'Yoonjung?' A slight poke on your elbow pulled you back into reality.

'Hmm?'

'We're here.' You turned to the direction which Jinyoung nodded in to find the hotel entrance before you. 

I thought the path was- Jinyoung watched as you turned back to look down the path along the river which the both of you just came from. 'Oh- That was fast. It was a nice route to walk.'

There's something bothering her. 

 

 

 

Finally. Jaebum hieved a sigh of relief once he saw you heading towards your family, as Jinyoung headed in the opposite way back to their room. 

He kept a distance from the both of you the entire time, not wanting to arouse suspicion while at the same time refusing to leave the both of you alone. 

However, that feeling - as though he was third wheeling on a date - did not settle well with him. 

 

 

 

 


'Noona!' 

You flinched at the sudden exclamation coming from the bed to your left, turning to see Yugyeom grinning at you. 'You don't have to shout, I'm literally one metre away from you.'

He was lieing belly down on his bed while scrolling through his phone, sticking out his tongue at you. 'Can I have the photos that you took from the wedding earlier?'

'Oh- Right-' You quickly reached for your phone, before glancing back at him in disapprovement. 'That's not how you ask someone for a favour.'

'It's alright, I know noona still loves me.'

While looking through the numerous photos taken during the event, it did not take long before a certain someone was occupying your mind again.

Did he really wait for me in the lobby?

Knowing him from the few interactions we had till now, he probably did. 

Maybe I should have told him. Maybe I should have waited to let him know even if I didn't want to-

You found your fingers clicking into his contact after much deliberation. You had it saved since the post-it note, not with the intention to text him of course. You just wanted to have his number saved so you would know to avoid responding if he contacted you first. 

Hey, I'm sorry about disappearing after the banquet. I was scared- 

 

 

 

 

'What are you doing staring at that instead of drinking it?' A female pulled the empty stool towards Jaebum and invited herself to take the seat. 'Something's up?'

Does she not get the hint to leave the person in the corner of the pub, alone? 'It's none of your business.'

'How mannerly of you to say that to the person who got you that room at such a late notice.' 

'I've already thanked you for that.'

'Well, I wouldn't mind for you to thank me again upstairs-' She edged closer, whispering into his ears-

'You know I don't do seconds.'

'If you say so.' She smirked, backing down slightly as she signaled to the bartender to bring her a shot. She could tell that Jaebum was down. And once that liquid enters him-

A ding from his phone on the table caught his attention, and just when he was about to shove it away, something caught his eye. 

Unsaved Number:
Hey, thank you for today Jaebum.

He smiled when he recognised the profile picture - it was recently updated, a candid of you, with the bouquet he gave, and the cute rose perched in your hair. 

'You can have this.' Despite the huge grin making its way to his face, Jaebum muttered indifferently as he pushed his glass of untouched wine towards the female, hopping off the stool without another word said.

 


 

[A/N] Hello!! omg I didn't realize it has been more than two whole years since I've updated this. Hope that everyone has been doing well till now!

I am honestly not sure when the next update would be but I'm hoping to get back to working on this. Not sure if any of you are still following the story after such a long hiatus from me but hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Thank you! <3

Stay safe everyone!