Chapter 5

Change

Double update! Go back one chapter :)

Jaebum was once again racking his brains for plans to get to you. He had zero connections to you, and that one time where he waited outside the university compounds thanks to Jinyoung's timetable was pure coincidence, or so he thought.

He even tried camping at the cafe for a few days, but to no avail.

There should be a way- Jaebum sighed as he went back to scrolling through his social media feeds for inspiration.

What he did not expect was for your face to pop up in a selfie with Yugyeom in his instastory just seconds into his search. And he held onto the screen tightly as he stared at that picture for a good few minutes. It is her.

Right after he identified the female, did the caption of the image sink into his head. 'My date for the next three days~'

What on earth-

His fingers acted immediately and he was soon dialing for someone. 'Bam, where did Gyeom say he was going again?'

'Relative's wedding in Daejeon? Oh- The really grand one at Lotte City Hotel, whoa the images were-'

'Alright thanks!' Yes- Now let's see how she's going to snake her way out of this.

 

 

 

‘Gyeommie!’ You squealed as you lunged at the taller male, giving him a quick hug before pulling away to get a good look at him. ‘I haven’t seen you in ages!’

‘Not the hair- Noona! Not the hair!’

‘I know- I know, calm down will you.’ You smiled as you lowered your hands from his head to pat his back.

‘I missed you!’

‘Pfft sure thing. I wonder who’s the one who’s too grown up for family gatherings now hmm?’

'Well- I'm here for the wedding, aren't I?'

'We both know that you're forced to come here, and that you came for the food.'

'No~ I came for you!' 

'Sure thing. You haven’t been fooling around have you?’ You asked as you lowered your voice, pulling him away as your parents checked into the hotel. 

‘Of course not! What do you think I- Please don’t tell mom- She thinks I’m in school.’

‘Yah! Kim Yugyeom!’

‘Just kidding~’ Yugyeom laughed at the expression on your face, before giving you a light pat on your shoulder and disappearing to take your luggage and room key. 

‘What- That’s it? Now I’m confused.’

 

 

 

'Okay, rules. No shoes beyond this line. No dirtying the room. No touching of my bed unless you've showered.' You pointed out once the both of you entered the shared room. It has been a habit since young for the both of you to room together whenever your parents went out, and seems like it did not change this time. 

'I'm not a kid anymore, noona.' He whined as he lugged the luggage in. 

'Well, you'll forever be a kid to me. And please look after your room key.' 

'Stop being such an old lady- Let's go out for a cousins' date!' And you were soon dragged out of the hotel room, 'I got food recommendations from a friend who stays in this area, waffles sounds good?'

'Not unless you're paying for the food?'

‘Why do you sound like you do not want to spend time with your one and only younger cousin?’

‘With this I shall bring back my point of you being the one skipping all the family-‘

‘Fine.’ You mumbled, but the silence did not stay for long. 

‘Noona, are you not going to find a boyfriend?’

‘I'll get one when someone suitable comes along.’

‘I’ve heard that for the past dozens of years.’

'I think that you need to go return to elementary math.'

'Shhh- No math. No schoolwork. SHH.'

 

 

‘Gyeom-ah,' You asked, grabbing the mango smoothie from his side of the table. 'How do you know if someone is serious about you?’

And the way his eyes sparkled as he finally paused his eating made you question if it was the right thing to ask. 

'Finally! Who's the lucky guy?'

'That's not answering my question.'

'Well, you could have gave a brief description? Is he kind? Polite? Helpful?'

Nope, nope and nope. 'I wouldn't describe him with those words.'

'Intelligent? Caring?'

Nope and nope. 'How would I know if he's serious about me, if he's intelligent?'

'I don't know- I just threw it in there since I thought I was supposed to describe your crush kind-of guy. Right. Back to the topic. So how is he?'

'Clingy.'

Yugyeom looked at you as he resumed his chomping of the waffle, frowning slightly at the rate which the ice cream was melting at. But you made no signs of continuing. 'That's it?'

'Extremely clingy.'

SIGH.

'Okay-Okay. He, urm, he asked me out on the basis that I owed him a favour. He bought two cups of coffee for me.'

'He likes you?'

'He didn't say that he likes me- He just asked me out.' 

'Nope. That guy's a no go.'

'Right! I knew it! Thanks Gyeom.' 

 


 

'Fancy meeting you here in Daejeon?' It took you quite a while to realise that you were not seeing things, and it was indeed he himself before you. Then the panic kicked in. 

And to think that you were starting to feel relieved after the lack of his presence for the past few weeks. You were about to question Eunjin about her warning- what exactly about Im Jaebum was dangerous- but forgot about it after seeing that he did not appear ever since you disappeared from the cafe.

But him appearing in Daejeon- right outside the salon where you did your hair- was danger enough to you.

'How did you-'

'Surprise surprise.' You eyed the small bouquet of roses that he stuck out at you, and then looked back at him. 

'Jaebum- Today's not the right time to do this- I have a wedding lunch to attend.'

'I know. And I'm not doing anything am I? And please take the flowers, my arm is starting to ache.' 

But- If I take it- You sighed when he grabbed your hand and stuff the bouquet into it. 

'Perfect.' Jaebum managed to dug from Jackson's prying that you were Yugyeom's cousin, and that you would be in Daejeon for three days, with the wedding on the second day. Which gave him plenty of time to take the quickest bus here and to pull enough strings to get him a room at the lowest cost possible. 'I'm not doing anything, am I?'

'What are you doing here?'

'Making you prettier. I got the flowers fresh from a florist near here.'

'Jaebum-'

'Why exactly are you avoiding me?' You flinched when he grabbed onto your wrist, and you could feel it tightening whenever you were about to take a step back. And you were trying hard not to freak out. 

'I don't know you.' 

'Then why don't you spare me a chance to get to know me?'

'You're behaving like the man you fended off for me at the club that night.' And that manage to return some sense back to Jaebum, before he quickly released you.

'I'm sorry.'

'I'm sorry too. But I've got to go-' At that moment, your ringtone interrupted you. 

     'Noona, I'm not done with my hair yet, can you come back to the hotel by yourself?'

     'What?'

     'Take a cab or something- I've got to go! See you in a bit!'

     'Yah! Kim Yugyeom!' But all you could hear was the beeping sound from the other end. 'How am I supposed to- This.' You grumbled as you quickly made your way out onto the main road to try your luck on hailing a cab, only to be held back by Jaebum by your wrist, this time much gentler than before. 

'I can send you back.' 

'You drove here?' 

You followed Jaebum's line of sight to see a motorcycle parked just a few metres before you. 

'No.'

'It'll be faster. I don't think you'll get a single cab, and still reach in time.'

'I can't ride that-'

'It's the only way to get- Are you okay?' Jaebum paused when he saw how you struggled out of his grip, all the while not removing your eyes from the vehicle. 'Park Yoonjung?' 

'T-The helmet is going to ruin my hair.'

'Yoonjung-'

'I don't even know you- No way am I going to let you-'

'It's fine, I rode here unscathed-'

'No- I'll just get a-'

'Did you get into an accident before?' And you finally diverted your attention back to Jaebum. Your eyes still shifting. And the silence proved that he was right. 'It'll be fine. I wouldn't let anything happen to you.'

All you could do was to stand frozen on the spot, before your phone pulled you back into reality. 

     'Jung-ah, are you reaching soon? We're starting soon.'

     'I-I'm on my way mom. See you.'

'Trust me?' Jaebum asked again, this time gently tugging you in the direction of the rented bike. 

'Are you sure nothing will happen?' You whispered grabbing onto his elbow gingerly as he adjusted the helmet to do as little damage as possible to your hair. 

'I'm more than sure. Now let's get this princess to the wedding.'

 

The short ten minutes trip back to the hotel had you grabbing onto Jaebum for your life. You could tell that he was not driving at full speed, for the sake of you, and was more than thankful for it. 

'And we're here, on time, and unharmed.' His signature grin was plastered across his face as he gently, carefully removed the helmet off you. 'You did it, see?' You were startled when he pinched your cheeks lightly, before he reached out to tidy up your hair.

He took a good few minutes before he was done, and patted your shoulders before urging you into the hotel. 'There there. Stop staring. You're going to be late.' 

Without a word, you hurriedly headed in, not sparing a look back at him, only to hear him shouting after you. 'See you later!' 

You quickly dodged into the nearest toilet to check on your outfit before joining the rest, only to have yourself speechless once again as you looked at the white rose perched neatly by the side of your neatly braided hair. Jaebum not only managed to keep you presentable, he took extra care to not ruin anything, and- you were certain the rose was not there when you left the salon.

This can't be happening. 

 

 

 

 

Throughout the entire course of the lunch, you could not help but to keep thinking back to what happened between the both of you. Why am I being so jittery? Must be the ride- I can't take motorcycle rides. That must be it. Don't think too much about it. Please, Park Yoonjung. 

That was when you remembered how he shouted 'See you later!' after dropping you off. No- I'm not prepared to face him again today- The rose sitting on your hair popping back into your mind. I'll just hide in my room right after this. That way we can't see each other. Yes. Exactly.

The moment the lunch ended, as rude as it may have been, you quickly slipped out of the ballroom, only to be bombarded by a crowd at the reception counter. Now where's the way back up to the rooms again- You wondered as you looked around- but stilled when you spied a mullet and quickly your heels.

Only to have yourself stumble slightly before someone held you gently by your arm. 'Are you okay?'

'Yes, thank you-' You lifted your head after stabilising yourself, only to come face to face with- ‘Jinyoung?’

‘What are you doing here?’/ 'You look gorgeous.' The both of you said at the same time.

'What-?'

'Sorry- It just slipped out. Your wedding is here?- I mean- not your wedding but- The relative's wedding you had to attend is here?'

Jinyoung stumbling over his words was a first for you, and you could not help but to laugh at him- And that sent more blood rushing to his ears. Which unfortunately, to his utter horror, you took notice. 

'Are you okay?' You reached out, still giggling, and pinched his red ears, which was easier with the boost given by your wedges.

No-No I am not.

 

 

‘There she is-‘ A smile made its way onto his face when Jaebum finally caught sight of you. And he was just about to take a step forward until the person you were with came into view. Jinyoung?

 


 

[A/N] Hello!! It's been so long but I'm back with a double update! This was meant to be a Christmas update but it took me longer than expected to finish them up hence the belated present xD Hope that these two chapters were worth the wait! 

Honestly did not expect to take this long to update this fic but university got me busier than expected. Hopefully progress will be faster but I promise that the next update wouldn't take that long this time! 

Hope that you enjoyed reading the update, and can't wait to hear your thoughts about them.

Don't forget to comment and subscribe!

Thank you!<3 Merry (Belated) Christmas and have a Happy New Year!