Chapter 4

Change

This was starting to egg him on - the more determined you were to avoid him, the more he wanted to prove you wrong - that he will succeed it making you his.

‘Oppa?’

The way you answered the phone remained vivid in his mind. Who the heck is that oppa anyway- And for a split second he wondered if you were already attached - No, it can’t be. She’s just trying to shake me off, for all I know it could have been a female on the other end. Exactly. Must have just been a female.

Great- I still don’t have her number. Now I have to catch her in school again.

 


 

'Found you!' You jerked slightly upon the whisper into your right ear and turned to face someone who was supposed to be five blocks away.

What are you- You stared at him in shock, only to have him messing up your hair to cover your what-could-have-been-a-bust expression.

'Oh-' Jinyoung took notice of the male with you and smiled, extending his hand, 'Hi! I'm Park Jinyoung. You must be-' You knew that he knew who the dude was. Especially after he googled everything about said male. What on earth is he doing right now?

'Jaehwan. Lee Jaehwan.'

'Right! The one from Jungie's Math class?'

Jungie? JungIE? You brushed your hair out of your face as you tried to keep your expressions in check.

'Y-Yes. And you're from-?'

'Oh, she didn't tell you did she? I'm her boyfriend.' And there it was- The ruffling of your hair again.

'Oh- I didn't know that she-you're-' Jaehwan's look of confusion immediately turned into a frown, and you caught the very brief second of it before he covered it up with a smile.

But your attention was instantly diverted away when you felt something soft against your palm and found your hand in Jinyoung's. 'Would love to get to know you some day, but we have some plans for now. See you around!'

With that, you were quickly shipped away while you turned to give a small wave to your friend. 'I'll text you later!'

 

Once you were out of sight and out of hearing distance, Jinyoung released your hand before asking, 'Why would you text him later.'

'Well maybe because we were supposed to discuss our project before you interrupted us.'

'What about our project?' 

'Which one are you referring to?' You were genuinely confused, as to whether he was referring to the literature task the both of you were paired up to do, or the little act that he staged mere seconds ago. 

'You nearly gave us away just now, and to think that you're the one who needed the help.' 

'Why me- Hey- What was that even?' 

'I just thought maybe we should take it up a notch after our little act at the canteen the other day.'

'And by switching up a notch you just totally drop the bomb and go 'I'm her boyfriend.' And you could have at least gave me a heads up?'

'And have you acting weirdly?'

'Pretty sure that was weirder than what I did the other day. I couldn’t even speak a peep.’ You thought back to the conversation just now and shuddered. Oh gosh, it was so suspicious. You gave a quick glance at Jinyoung, but he looked indifferent as he simply gave you a shrug. 

‘Shh. We’re going to be late for class.’

'You wouldn't be late for class if you didn't take a detour over here on purpose. And perhaps we could have had a seat secured.'

'I didn't take a detour here. I had some paperwork to do here.'

'At the Mathematics building?' You asked, skeptically. 

'As surprising as it sounds, yes, at the Mathematics building.' Jinyoung repeated before having your hand in his again as he pulled you into the lecture theatre. He was not supposed to be late for this lesson by his usual timetable compared to you who had backtoback lessons. 'Now hush, we need to figure out what's going on.' 

 


 

A few days ago-

‘How may I help you?’ Jinyoung finally asked after getting tired of you staring at him for the past few minutes, and he was starting to feel uncomfortable chewing his food.

‘It’s nothing.’ With that, you finally dug into your food with a shake of your head. Which got him placing his utensils down as it was his turn to stare glare at you.

‘What is it? Did you get into trouble?’

‘Perhaps...’

‘What do you mean, perhaps?’

‘There’s this guy who’s interested in me-‘

And a smirk appeared on his face. ‘Well, aren’t you too high of yourself. He confessed?'

‘No- Not yet, but he's been trying to ask me out. But he’s just too nice- And I can’t get myself to say no.’

'Have you not been asked out before?'

You were about to answer with a straight 'No', until you remembered. 'Y-Yes I have.'

'Then how did that end up?'

'I disappeared and never went back to the cafe ever since.' Jinyoung had to stop himself from chuckling as he looked at you in amusement. 

'And this guy in the story is-?'

'A regular at the cafe, apparently.’

‘So, if you're sharing this with me, and you can't disappear, or reject him, are you asking me to be your pretend boyfriend?’

‘Noooo? I’m just asking you to appear close-‘

‘Wouldn’t he want to grab his chance and quickly confess then? How would you continue from there?'

That's true... You remained silent as you allowed the thought to sink into your head. ‘Help.’

 

 

‘Are you sure this will work?’ You asked, your lunch long forgotten as the both of you finally decided on a game plan to help your useless self. 

‘Of course, everything I think of is a brilliant idea.’

You were about to wipe the smirk off his face when someone by the entrance of the canteen caught your eyes. 'What- Is he doing here?'

'Jaehwan's here?'

'You make it sound like you've known him for ages-' You stopped midsentence when you suddenly found Jinyoung's face right before yours as his hand moved to tug a stray hair behind your ear, in slow motion. 'J-Jin-'

‘Shh- He’s looking over.’

‘W-What- Where-‘ You flinched, only to be have your elbow held down by his free hand, before he pulled you closer by the side. 

‘Stop moving- Girl I thought you wanted me to help you with this-‘

‘Right-‘ You quickly managed to calm yourself down, and smiled unconsciously when you thought of how silly you were being-

And the male before you felt his heart skip a beat.

Damn it. This girl.

But the worse has yet to come. 

It was Jinyoung's turn to be startled when your hand reached out to pat his bangs with a slight giggle. ‘What was that for?’

‘You can’t be the only one acting right? I caused the problem didn't I.'

That’s it-?

‘And you look really cute with that hair today I just wanted to-‘

Heart. ‘Do you say that to every single guy?’

‘No, why would I? You’re the first.’ You answered mindlessly, pulling away thinking that it was enough for the day. 

Great. Just great.

 


 

'Park Jinyoung!' Jaebum yelled for the umpteenth time across the room. 

'Hyung, I was showering.' He grumbled as he threw his towel at the older male before grabbing his phone on the couch. 

'Your phone was buzzing relentlessly next to me.'

Oh- It's her-

‘And why are you messaging a gimbab?’

‘It's just a friend at school.’ Jinyoung answered, not sparing Jaebum a glance as he read through your messages. 

‘Is she cute?’

‘I’m pretty sure I didn’t disclose the gender.’

‘Sounds like she’s super cute.’

And that successfully got Jinyoung's attention when he finally looked up at the person who was smirking at him. ‘How did you get that from the contact name?’

‘I got it from your red ears.’

Which silenced Jinyoung immediately. Is it that obvious? Don't tell me I've been acting this way around her too. 

'Hey, you alright?'

I don't know. She's been taking my mind off her. But what is she doing to me?

Jaebum was starting to get worried when Jinyoung did not reply him, his eyebrows furrowed. 'Are you serious about this girl? Or is she just a way to get over her?'

'She's just a friend.'

'And do you want it to stay that way?'

'Yes, it'll stay that way.' 

Yet, Jinyoung knew that he didn't have any paperwork to do at the Mathematics building.