Twenty

Monochromatic Hearts

A/N : this is the first part of the double update. 

also, special thanks to my beta reader Pat for helping me a lot in this!


 

Monochromatic Hearts

 

[INSSTIZ] New blind items January 2018?

Idol A is an A-list idol from a top tier company, but it was said he recently made someone pregnant. The non-celebrity B, expected to be approaching third trimester, recently worked in the same company but quit because of the pregnancy. Idol A gave B an apartment close to their new workplace and also close to A’s apartment. Paparazzi caught them eating out on a date for B’s birthday recently.

 

1. [+375, -896] Sehun…?

2. [+360, -124] Wow… would it still be called a shotgun wedding if the spouse is already in their third trimester? Or are they not planning to get married?

3. [+344, -102] This blind item was buried but then reappeared again months after… I wonder if it’s the same as the one that said it happened during a private company event overseas…

4. [+273, -85] The article doesn’t say anything about them getting married. Could they have been secretly married or is B gonna pop out the kid out of wedlock?

5. [+247, -70] It would be really bad for A if this news actually got out. The scariest thing to happen to an idol is when their own fans turn into antis. That’s how you know you’re over.

 

 

Oh Sehun posted an ambiguous photo on Instagram amidst his comeback promotions

[.JPEG]

oohsehun “Be happy”

 

1. [+965, -422] Why is this news… It probably didn’t mean anything.

2. [+812, -98] He posted this the same night he was spotted with his friends at a restaurant. Must be a wish for his friend, then.

3. [+764, -112] It’s just a candle and a generic caption…

4. [+428, -607] It’s totally for a special someone. He doesn’t just upload things for aesthetics. His IG feed is messy and random but full of meaningful posts. 

5. [+399, -634] Did you guys see his former makeup artist’s IG update? He uploaded a picture of his birthday cake. The table they sat had a similar looking candle.

 

 

-

 

An itch to scratch.

 

Yeonseok knew they would do this. He knew their rival media outlet would pull out a scapegoat. He knew it would be Oh Sehun. He just doesn’t see how it benefits neither the idols nor the agency.

 

His coworker sighs. “So, anything new?”

 

Yeonseok, still caught up with his thoughts, merely ignores her and she takes this as a no before going back to her workdesk. The of his pen suffers from him chewing on it due to his racking his brain. 

 

“We should probably drop it.” Another coworker announces.

 

This raises his attention. “No, we can’t.”

 

“Give up, Yeonseok. We have other interesting scoops as well.”

 

Yeonseok looks around their office. It’s small, with only eight of them running the company. It used to be fifteen. If they don’t make this work, their company is done for, and he would have to go back to his dull, regular office job. 

 

Kim Kai’s case would have hit big, but with bigger consequences come greater countermeasures from the agency as well, and clearly SM made a deal with their affiliated publishing company to bury it, but how about Sehun? Almost everyone within the paparazzis already know about Kim Kai - there were reasonable evidences backing it up, but not sufficient enough to pressure the company.

 

Why would SM risk Sehun’s reputation on the line? Is Kim Kai really that worth tarnishing the image of another idol from the same company? Or is this just noise marketing in the midst of Sehun’s comeback promotions? A public dating scandal was way out of the options as it would bring more harm than good, should ever this baby scandal gets leaked later and information conflicted with one another. To risk another idol’s image in hopes to bring the attention away from Kim Kai sounds mild compared to that, but what would they gain?

 

When he waited for Kyungsoo at the bus station the other day, a car stopped by, but he could not see the driver’s face even when Kyungsoo had opened the door to the passenger seat. He followed by taking a cab, and it seemed like they went to SM building and up towards the staffs parking, of which he had no access to. If he found out the driver was Kim Kai’s manager, he would not even know how to use the information to further make a stronger claim for the case. It would have been useless, unless the driver was the idol himself. 

 

Yeonseok already knows Kim Kai rented out a place at the K Apartments for Kyungsoo, but he has no way of obtaining a legal evidence for it. Even the hotel footages in Hawaii was not their doing. It was all in the blind item albeit vaguely, still that means the rivalling outlet already had the information at hand. At this point, they’re fighting a losing battle.

 

Yeonseok hates losing.

 

-

 

Sehun scrolls down the article, reading the comments with an expressionless face. He somewhat expected this kind of reaction from the netizens.

 

“Oh. I thought you were napping,” Jongdae comes in with a cup of iced green tea latte, handing the beverage to the idol. The time reads 4.21 a.m, and on any other non-comeback day, Sehun would still be sleeping.

 

“Thanks,” Sehun takes the straw into his mouth and drinks away, all while his eyes are still scanning his phone screen. “Did the management say anything?”

 

“Nope. Not a word.” Jongdae stretches his arms with a yawn. “Probably has nothing against it.”

 

Sehun continues to sip quietly. “That’s good then, isn’t it?”

 

Jongdae does not reply straight away, opting to stare at the idol quizzically. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“No.”

 

“Are you and Jongin fighting?” His manager asks anyway.

 

“What makes you think that?” Sehun coolly asks.

 

Jongdae hums. “I saw your exchange when we picked up Kyungsoo from his residence that night.”

 

“What about the exchange?”

 

“Jongin acted really weird back then. You know, like a kid being territorial over his toy not wanting it to be taken away? Yeah, like that.”

 

Sehun chuckles, actually amused by that comparison. “So Kyungsoo’s the toy?”

 

“Hey, hey, you know I didn’t mean it like that,” Jongdae pouts, and then proceeds to check his watch. “By the way, they said to standby since the stage setup is almost done.”

 

The idol only hums in acknowledgement, resting on the couch and careful not to ruin his clothes and hair. 

 

Speaking of toys, Sehun never steals other people’s toys, no matter how much he likes them.

 

-

 

“You want to buy the building?”

 

Junmyeon cannot look more surprised than he does. It takes a couple of blinks, before he finally accepts this fact. “Well… that does sound like a good investment plan with all that money…”

 

“Your agent friend who dealt with you and Kyungsoo,” Jongin’s arms are crossed, his gait relaxed and steps unhurried. “Does he have experience with purchasing serviced residence?”

 

“It was a she, and I’ll have to ask her that. Otherwise, I’ll try and find you an experienced agent.”

 

“You do that,” Jongin slips his phone out and opens his text messages.

 

“Is the one Kyungsoo staying at really that worth it?” Junmyeon seems to be talking to himself at this point, musing to himself as he texts his friend to confirm about it.

 

“I’m keeping my options open for now,” Jongin clarifies. He will still need to go and look around in case there are better options, although he does have an eye set on K Residences, but it’s heavily emotionally based. Or should I purchase a hotel instead…

 

“Why the sudden decision, though?” Junmyeon inquires. “It’s not like you. Just like how it’s not like you when you bought that SUV. Ah, I guess this just means I don’t know you that well even after all these years…”

 

Jongin can’t decide if he should be offended or not, so he simply brushes it off with a shrug. “I just think it’s time.”

 

-

 

“where r u”

 

Jongin looks around the lobby, ignoring the suspicious look the security guard is boring him. Kyungsoo has not replied to his text yet. He tried calling him too but it sent him to voicemail. 

 

He’s still in his work fit, a dark violet turtleneck sweater sponsored by a high-end brand for his photoshoot just now underneath a cream downcoat. Luhan said he can return it before the week ends. He would usually be headed home or go back to the SM building for practice but he doesn’t feel like doing neither, and that is how he ends up here, in front of Kyungsoo’s residence. 

 

Tired of waiting in the car, he got out for some fresh air and Kyungsoo still has not gotten back to him. It is past his work time so the elder male should already be home around this hour.

 

He occupies himself with people watching - analyzing the human traffic going in and out of the residence building. He even goes so far as walk around a little to see the buildings around the perimeter. He frowns when he sees a major construction site two buildings away from the residence, not sure if that should be a good or a bad thing. 

 

The cold has started to bite, and no later he decides to just stroll inside and waits for the elevator. In his hold is a bag of packed chicken and some cups of caramel pudding for dessert.

 

When he presses the doorbell, no one answers. Jongin calls him again and this time, thankfully, Kyungsoo answers.

 

“Jongin?”

 

“Um, hey. You’re not home yet?”

 

“Ah- are you planning to stop by?”

 

“I’m actually already at your door…”

 

“Oh! Um, hold on,” Kyungsoo sounds a little distracted, and there are sounds of cars honking on the line. “I’m— You can go in first. I’ll be home soon.”

 

“Okay. Your passcode?”

 

“…I’ll be back real quick.”

 

Jongin raises an eyebrow. “You don’t have to worry about me knowing your passcode, you know.” Jongin actually knows that’s not the issue. The passcode must be a set of digits that are of sentimental value to Kyungsoo. “But if you really can’t, then that’s fine—”

 

“It’s one-one-” Kyungsoo suddenly announces.

 

Jongin presses on the keypad and waits. “One-one…?”

 

“…”

 

“Hello?”

 

“…one-two-two-three…” He speaks a little more softly.

 

Pressing the remaining digits and being granted access, Jongin has no idea what the series of numbers means. It can’t possibly be birthdays. Maybe it’s a date, or just a set of numbers Kyungsoo finds easy to remember. “I’m in.” The line remains quiet and he almost thought Kyungsoo hung up on him. “Kyungsoo?”

 

“…Y-Yes. See you!” 

 

The elder male immediately hangs up on him and Jongin can only blink at his phone. He helps himself inside and places the bags of food on the dining table, seeing a blob of black on the couch stirs. Winter perks up at the presence of a guest, looking a little dazed from being roused from her nap. 

 

Jongin removes his downcoat and drapes it over one of the dining chairs, looking around the interior and taking in the subtle scent of cedarwood. Kyungsoo must have bought a diffuser. He doesn’t particularly like the fragrance but he figures it’s calming for the pregnant male.

 

He walks over to the cat, gently lifting her up and into his arms. The feline does not resist, probably because she just woke up. She has orange eyes, standing out amidst the black fur. She stares up at Jongin with mild interest, and the idol finds himself caught in a staring contest with the cat until Winter looks elsewhere. Jongin, with the cradled cat in his arms, shuffles towards the floor-to-ceiling glass and eyes the world outside. It isn’t snowing nor is it raining, but it isn’t particularly sunny either.

 

Bored with the urban landscape, he makes himself comfortable on the couch, this time with Winter on his lap. She seems pretty lax with Jongin keeping her close, disinterested with the rest of the world. Maybe this is why he prefers dogs instead of cats. At least dogs would be delighted and all over him desiring for attention and affection. Cats are egocentric creatures. 

 

He is watching the television by the time the entrance door beeps and is pushed open. Winter is still being civil with him so he brings her along while he is headed for the door, both the man and the cat waiting with patience for the pregnant male to settle inside. 

 

“Um, I’m so sorry. I got held up with a client,” Kyungsoo pants, bending down to attempt at removing his shoes but eventually gives up and sitting down to remove them. When he tries to get back up, Jongin supports Winter with one hand while another goes to grab at Kyungsoo’s upper arm as a form of help. Only when he has gotten up does he notice the feline in Jongin’s arm. “Is she okay?”

 

“Why wouldn’t she be?”

 

“It’s the first time I’m seeing you hold her like that.” Kyungsoo seems a little too enthralled at this fact, his wide eyes fixated on Winter. The sight of his duffle coat hugging his pregnant figure reminds Jongin of the Paddington bear. Adorable.

 

The idol leans down to steal a peck on his cheek and those already wide eyes grow even bigger, accompanied by the slowly pinking tips of the ears. It is becoming a thing between them now, for Jongin to greet him with a kiss on the cheek and flustering the elder male. Kyungsoo still isn’t used to it. 

 

“I brought chicken,” Jongin announces, finally putting Winter down on the floor and letting her be. The cat stretches her limbs and struts away. “And pudding.”

 

“O-Okay,” Kyungsoo stutters, discarding his coat and guiding himself into his bedroom. Once he comes out Jongin quietly notices something. 

 

“You’re wearing the sweater my mom and sister made.” He watches the male check the food Jongin brought and mumbles something about not having vegetables and wanting to stir fry some real quick. Jongin says he can wait. 

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo pulls at the end of the sweater and releases, before heading to the fridge. “I’m surprised it fits me well.” He rummages through the many bags of greens and takes out just enough for two, rinsing them and heating the pan. 

 

Jongin eyes him for quite some time. “Mom probably used my sister’s measurement since you’re small too.”

 

Kyungsoo is too distracted by the vegetables and hurrying it, stir-frying them on the pan before he turns to Jongin again. “Sorry, you were saying?”

 

Touching his ear out of habit, Jongin repeats himself again, but vaguer. “…That you’re small.”

 

Kyungsoo pauses in the middle of stirring, puzzled by the response. “Um, oh.”

 

“That wasn’t me ridiculing you, by the way. Just… an observation.”

 

“Well, you’re not wrong.” Kyungsoo chuckles. “You come here almost every other day now. You do know I’ll be fine on my own, right?” 

 

Jongin watches him stir the vegetables on the pan with a pair of cooking chopsticks. This feels oddly domestic. 

 

“You were right. I shouldn’t have kept them.”

 

Jongin sighs to himself, still eyeing the elder male. Nothing about Kyungsoo has been strange - and it has been well over 2 weeks. 

 

“What if that reporter stalked you again?” He masks the real reason of his concern.

 

Kyungsoo turned off the induction cooker, lifting the pan to pour the vegetables onto a clean plate. “I haven’t met him since that time at the bus stop. I don’t think he’s harmful enough to threaten my safety, though.” He brings the plate over and places it on the table, while Jongin opens the box of honey chicken he bought for them. 

 

-

 

After eating, Kyungsoo for some reason finds it the best time to trim Winter’s claws while on the floor, and that leaves Jongin on the couch watching the TV with plain boredom. He only wants to converse with the elder male. 

 

When he hears soft murmurs he switches his attention to the man on the floor, huddled over his cat. The murmurs turn out to be encouraging words directed at the feline, with a paw out and its beans pressed to let the claws show while Kyungsoo expertly clips the sharp apices away. Kyungsoo is baby talking his cat…

 

Jongin finds watching Kyungsoo more entertaining than the TV, and it is a comical sight when Kyungsoo tries to bribe the feline with a sachet of liquid snack as he finishes off with the final leg. Winter’s tail smacks the floor in eagerness at lapping up the liquid snack after being released from the hellish claw t. As soon as the snack is finished, Winter flees just as fast, tongue-bathing herself. Yeah, Jongin muses, still dogs.

 

It feels like a while since Jongin finally gets to take a breather, his body going lax on the couch and his forearm resting on his forehead while his eyes shut closed. His schedule may not be as busy as when he was heavily promoting his albums, but he is still weary. 

 

“Are you tired?” Kyungsoo’s worried voice alerts him after he went to wash his hands from handling Winter earlier. “This is why I told you not to drive here just to see me every other day… You can still text me.”

 

“Coming to see you,” Jongin utters throatily, without looking the other male’s way. “Is not tiring.” He removes his arm from his forehead and pats the space next to him, pleased when Kyungsoo complies.

 

“Do you perhaps… feel bad?” Kyungsoo asks, staring at his lap, possibly to avoid having to look at Jongin. “I mean, I just… I hope you don’t feel that way. I- I don’t want you to constantly feel pressured to take care of me all the time, you know. I… can take care of myself, too.”

 

“I don’t… feel guilty. At least I don’t think I do,” Jongin finally opens his eyes to regard this sudden strange demeanor - or bottled thoughts, coming from Kyungsoo. “I’m just worried.”

 

“Oh,” Kyungsoo nods slowly. “I don’t know what to say.”

 

“Do you?”

 

“What?”

 

“Feel bad,” Jongin clarifies, carefully observing his reaction. “Do you?”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes fall dim, before they consequently avoid Jongin’s gaze. It happened so subtly that Jongin would have missed it if he did not pay attention to him. 

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo smiles up at him. “We haven’t eaten the pudding yet.” He promptly gets up, probably to go and get the pudding, but Jongin isn’t having any of that. Kyungsoo is pulled back down a little harshly, visibly startled when he shoots a wide-eyed look at the younger male. Jongin did not mean to be rough with him.

 

“Sorry,” He instantly apologizes. “But you haven’t answered the question.”

 

“It doesn’t really matter.” Kyungsoo mumbles. “It’ll go away in time, I guess.”

 

Jongin lets out a sigh. “So you do feel bad. Kyungsoo, you should talk these things out with me.”

 

“It has nothing to do with you. It’s all me. I’ll sort it out myself so you don’t have to worry about me.” Kyungsoo gently attempts to break the grip on his wrist, and eventually Jongin lets go. 

 

Sometimes… you feel like a stranger to me. Jongin’s chest kind of aches at being pushed away, but he also knows he has no right to coerce Kyungsoo into talking about things he does not wish to talk about.

 

“I understand,” Jongin relents. “Let me kiss you once, though.”

 

Kyungsoo sputters. “N-Now?”

 

“Yeah. Or do you really need to eat that pudding first?”

 

“I- It’s just too sudden…” Kyungsoo flushes.

 

“We haven’t kissed in a while.” The last time they did was when Jongin crashed at Kyungsoo’s place the night he got the award, and since then it has only been pecks on the cheek, mostly initiated by Jongin, and even that started on the night he sent Kyungsoo off to Sehun and his friends to celebrate the elder male’s birthday just to show off. 

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t actually say anything in response to that, but he also doesn’t seem like he’ll be leaving the couch for the pudding. This behaviour… is he perhaps waiting?

 

“Are you shy? Of kissing me?”

 

“Anyone would be,” Kyungsoo mutters under his breath, and Jongin can see how red his ears are. Kyungsoo turns to face him but he remains avoiding eye contact. “It’s- It’s not getting any better so if you could just go on and k—”

 

Jongin has never jumped so fast to kiss anyone. 

 

The yelp Kyungsoo lets out is swallowed by Jongin, who smoothly angles his head to accommodate Kyungsoo’s lips against his, and this time he doesn’t bother gauging for Kyungsoo’s reaction. The kiss is deep from the start, prompting Kyungsoo to open his mouth so Jongin’s tongue can explore the moist cavern, earning a muffled whimper from the pregnant male. A desperate hand seeks to grip at Jongin’s side but is immediately stopped by a much firmer one, holding it steady, domineering.

 

Jongin loves this. He loves this so much - kissing Kyungsoo. There’s something about kissing him that the idol can’t get enough of, and he’s not sure if it’s because of the slight confusion in his eyes when they pull away for air, the pink-tinted cheeks, or how Kyungsoo looks down to somehow hide the fact that he is beyond embarrassed about them making out.

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo is a little breathless. “Are we dating?”

 

“Do we have to?” Jongin doesn’t really think about it. He just wants to kiss him again and so advances again only to feel a palm against his chest, stopping him. “Kyungsoo?”

 

“We’re not?”

 

This time, Jongin sobers up enough to realize Kyungsoo wants a genuine answer. “You do know I can’t date, right? That’s gonna complicate the whole thing.”

 

“What thing?” Kyungsoo asks back. He looks hurt, and Jongin doesn’t know what to say. “W-Why did you kiss me, then?”

 

“I… didn’t think we have to date for me to kiss you.”

 

“I- I’m sorry. I’m just… a little confused.” Kyungsoo rests his palm against his forehead. “Do you actually like me?”

 

It feels far more complicated than just Jongin… liking him. He has no issue with dating in general, it’s just that dating always means breaking up to him. A momentary thing. He doesn’t think he wants that with Kyungsoo, and he’s not sure if Kyungsoo is ready to start a relationship with him

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t stay there long though, because he soon gets off the couch and is headed to the kitchen, and with Kyungsoo gone, the space next to the idol is empty again. That does not really feel right. 

 

It is not long until Jongin also gets up and saunters towards the kitchen where Kyungsoo is seen downing a glass of plain water. He does not have the right words, but lucky for him, Kyungsoo speaks first. 

 

“I think I might have come off as greedy. I mean… you’ve given me so much, the least I could do is stay put and respect what you want.” Kyungsoo says quietly. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Hey, there’s no need to be sorry,” Jongin says. He admits he isn’t very good at consoling people - he’s usually always the cause of people getting upset over. He has his hands resting on the edge of the island, head tilted to carefully see the pregnant male’s face. Kyungsoo still seems somewhat upset. “Do you want me to stay the night?”

 

“I… think I need time to myself,” Kyungsoo requests, and Jongin understands that, really.

 

“Okay. I’ll respect that,” The idol then closes in on Kyungsoo, trying to kiss him on the lips but again, like before, is turned down when Kyungsoo pointedly turns away so Jongin’s lips land on his cheek instead. He pulls away and purses his lips, standing there awkwardly. “I’ll respect that, too.”

 

Jongin kind of wants to caress Kyungsoo’s head, kind of wants to cheer him up. Just like Kyungsoo, Jongin also needs time to himself, to think about their whole relationship. If he still needs to go through with that marriage like his mother suggested, then he only has around 3 months left. He still has no idea how to break it to Kyungsoo.

 

Instead of caressing his head like Jongin initially wished, he reaches out to grab Kyungsoo’s hand, squeezing it in a comforting manner. Kyungsoo thankfully does not reject the act.

 

“For the record, I do like you.” Jongin says softly. “A lot.”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo has been sitting on the floor of the kitchen ever since Jongin saw himself out the door. His face is so warm against his palms, and he’s been battling his nerves. 

 

Was I being overdramatic? Kyungsoo makes a whining noise. What’s the big deal about dating? He likes you too, you idiot.

 

He’s been feeling too sensitive at the most mundane of things. In an attempt to cool down, he gets up (with a lot of effort, mind you - after all, he is almost 6 months along now) and opens the fridge. He only wanted to eat the caramel pudding, not getting overwhelmed by his long-standing crush now love.

 

Love… is probably too strong of a word. Or is it? 

 

Kyungsoo removes the seal of the pudding cup and digs the plastic spoon into the wiggly dessert, getting a spoonful for himself. 

 

“For the record, I do like you. A lot.” It didn’t feel real, hearing that coming from Jongin. He brings the surface of the chilled cup to his cheek, hoping the cold will cool it down.

 

-

 

Jongin has been sitting in the car for a good 10 minutes without pulling out from the residence parkway, his mind cluttered by a lot of things. He isn’t distressed though, he just wishes he was more calculative when making decisions, especially when it involves the emotions of someone dear to him.

 

Does he want to date Kyungsoo? Of course. But does he think they’re both ready for it? Far from it. It’s just that being pregnant with Jongin’s children might have induced that feeling of wanting to be protected - which Jongin has sworn he would do, by the way - in Kyungsoo, and Jongin’s afraid of taking advantage of this. 

 

He scoffs at himself, curses at himself, because isn’t that what he’s already doing? Where were his morals when he coaxed Kyungsoo to make out with him despite already being doubted of the nature of their relationship? Kyungsoo must have been so confused by that too. Maybe dating would be better for them. It would even help with the whole… marriage thing. Wouldn’t it be strange to tie the knot without properly dating?

 

Jongin knocks his head on the steering wheel in frustration, suddenly feeling like a trash for somehow using Kyungsoo to facilitate his life decisions. He suddenly dreads the idea of marriage and his mother’s conservative mentality, but he’s also aware of the implications to his idol career. 

 

He has been slacking off from attending his dance practices just to go and see Kyungsoo. Hell, he was supposed to be studying and memorizing his script for his movie filming, but he just did not feel like it. With just his movie filming to focus on along with some smaller modelling projects, he is bound to use all that free time to consider his situation with Kyungsoo. But once the announcement falls through, he’s not sure what to do afterwards…

 

There is this mild feeling of hollowness fogging around now that his visit to Kyungsoo’s is over for the night. He drives back to his apartment with that dwelling, and a lit cigarette between his lips.

 

-

 

After showering, Kyungsoo waits patiently for the digits on the scale to stabilize and display an accurate number. With his bump in the way, he can only count a total of 5 seconds while staring at the wall before him and then gets down from the scale to check the number. 

 

His doctor appointment is in 2 days. He has gained quite a lot of weight in the past week and month, and he knows the doctor will surely like that, but he can’t say the same for himself. He tries to be happy for the sake of the twins, though. 

 

Before going to sleep, he peruses his calendar and keeps note of the important dates. He has 4 more scheduled doctor visits before his ward admission, of which the date has not been told yet but he is convinced it should be before or just shy in the first week of May. He thankfully has his insurance ready with Chanyeol’s help - all he needs to do is present the doctor’s note to his boss.

 

Kyungsoo bites his lower lip out of habit. He is really about to give birth to a pair of twins and be a parent.

 

-

 

Sehun watches the comments flood down, his viewer count increasing by a thousand per second. He barely gets to read each comment properly. Most of them are just sending hearts and asking him what he is doing.

 

“I just finished showering,” He announces, and a few seconds later the comments start to rise twice the speed. “Did you like my performance today?” He grins, his fingers brushing through his wet hair. He is already in his pajamas and is just lying on the sofa trying to get his muscles to relax before actual bedtime. 

 

“What I did after the show?” Sehun rests his chin on his forearm, feigning thinking. “I worked out a bit and then had dinner. I didn’t go anywhere else. Did you guys eat yet?” He asks in a conversational manner.

 

He continues to read the comments and they are starting to look a little mixed. He saw several comments that hinted about meeting a pregnant lover, and Sehun isn’t dense to not know whom that is referred to.

 

“You guys are commenting weird things. Have you guys been seeing rumours lately?” Sehun just offers a lazy smile. “All of you are so gullible.” He tsks, playfully teasing. “Don’t trust rumours so easily, hm? Trust me instead.”

 

The rest of the Instagram live was spent with him talking about mundane things and answering the fans’ questions, and 15 minutes after, he started feeling sleepy and said his goodbyes. Now he is lying on his bed and switches accounts. His private account follows Kyungsoo’s and vice versa and the first post that shows up on the timeline is of Winter headbutting her owner’s side, wanting attention, before she struts her way up to Kyungsoo’s lap. The fact that this is Kyungsoo’s update already interests the idol, but another thing he is intrigued with is how this seems to be the first time Kyungsoo reveals his pregnancy to his followers. Winter is seen trying to get on the heavily round belly while Kyungsoo tries to contain her by petting her head and gently coercing her to get off, his giggles clear in the audio. It is only then that Sehun notices the caption that reads “Winter is doing fine, everyone” followed by a cat and a yellow heart emojis.

 

Sehun smiles fondly. With the safety of his private account, he likes the video and comments “good to know. send me pics too maybe”. With that done, he logs off and shuts his eyes close, exhaling. He returns to his phone and scrolls through his phone gallery not a few seconds after, looking for photos that particularly dated back to January 12th recently. It’s been more than 2 weeks since then, but he’s unfortunately a dweller.

 

He has a selca with Kyungsoo taken back at the sushi place, and they looked like when they first worked together years ago - unsure, nervous smiles, an inch apart between their shoulders. There was even a time where Sehun thought Kyungsoo looked like he had a crush on him. 

 

His phone vibrates then, signalling an incoming text.

 

“Pics of Winter?”

 

Sehun finds himself smiling. The hairstylist must have not slept yet. He instantly types up a reply.

 

“yourself too if u want”

 

But of course, Kyungsoo doesn’t entertain him and only spams him with photos of the black cat, some asleep, some just sitting. Sehun snorts to himself. He really does have a lot to thank Winter for. The cat has become a living excuse to talk to his former makeup artist, even more so now. Sehun can tell Kyungsoo misses him, but he can also tell how wary the latter is when it comes to his choice of words and behaviours around Sehun. It is as if he’s trying very hard to make sure Sehun isn’t falling more for him. 

 

A tragedy; because Sehun has been trying to do the same, but it sees no fruit.

 

-

 

After his acting lessons, Jongin leaves for dance practice. His main and close choreographer has been busy training their junior groups, and that leaves Jongin with self practice. He manages fine on his own, making a few dance covers here and then and uploading them on his Instagram, and sometimes even choreographing his own routine. 

 

When he gets tired he just blasts his music playlist on the speaker, waiting for his booking of the room to end. Only when boredom hits does he open his script and study his lines. He is going to get a lot of outdoor scenes, and some, if not most, will be filmed overseas. Seeing as this will be an action-packed film, he has also been attending lessons for his physical combat scenes, which are entirely separate from his regular acting lessons. This has been what his days are like, sans when he goes and sees Kyungsoo. Seeing Kyungsoo has unknowingly been a form of recharge for him, and it took him being pushed away for him to realize that.

 

Bored even with his script, he then goes on his social media, scrolling through his Instagram feed and liking his fellow celebrity friends’ posts. He has not hung out with some of them for some time, the idol life consuming their time and energy. This makes him wonder if the idol life will interfere with parenting someday, and he prays to all gods not to let this happen. Kyungsoo cannot be left alone raising two children on his own - that would be an overkill, no matter how much Kyungsoo believes he could.

 

His phone pings, a text message received from his real estate agent, stating the time and place that they would meet. 

 

-

 

Kyungsoo is sterilizing the desk, hearing greetings of thanks for all their hard work for the day and returning them when they are directed at him. When Chanyeol passes by, his steps languid yet fast, Kyungsoo and the rest of the staffs halt their respective activities and bow out of respect, getting only a nod and a raise of the hand as their boss is busy talking on the phone, looking somewhat urgent. He wonders how it feels to be someone big and important like him. Chanyeol seems like a very career-driven person. 

 

Amber suddenly slides beside him, granting him a gentle pat on the back. “I don’t suppose your doctor allows you to go skiing, hm?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Kyungsoo pouts, undoing his work apron. “There are chances of falling.”

 

“Yeah, figured,” Amber returns the pout, and then smiles. “We’re having a ski getaway at Pyeongchang tomorrow, but if you just wanted to come and see the snow, you’re more than welcomed. Next year we can do it again when you’re not so pregnant.”

 

Kyungsoo thinks about it. “I don’t think I can go anyway. I’ve got a doctor visit scheduled tomorrow after my shift.”

 

“Aw, too bad then.” Amber looks like she wants to bring up something else, but decides against it, much to Kyungsoo’s relief. He knows his colleagues know about him and his circumstances, and some are courteous enough, if not indifferent, to not mention about it. But of course, there are some who don’t really take hints well. 

 

He does not mean to overhear his two most gossipy colleagues. Kyungsoo pays it no heed, for it could just be another celebrity gossip. He doesn’t care much for celebrities, other than Jongin, and Sehun coming in second.

 

When Sana shyly approaches him and Amber, her face frowning, they both turn to her with puzzled gazes. “What’s the matter?” Amber is the one who asks. 

 

“Have you heard?” Sana asks, holding her phone tight against her chest, the question more directed at Kyungsoo. “About Kim Kai.”

 

Kyungsoo feels his heart skip a beat at the rush of anxiety. He exchanges worried glances with Amber before turning to Sana again. “What about him?”

 

Sana turns to Momo who is trying to convince her not to tell him, but the former does anyways. “Many of his fansites just closed down.”

 

-

 

After reviewing the recorded combat tutorial with his tutor, they wrap it up for the day. Jongin removes his safety vest and protective pads and hands them to an assistant. He bows to his tutor, fellow supporting actors, and the staffs in appreciation and promises of next time. It is only a few days left before his filming officially begins, and most of the beginning scenes are to be filmed overseas. 

 

While packing his things, he accidentally hears two of the staffs talking to themselves about him. Being a public figure, it is a very common thing to be misunderstood and misjudged. Jongin has heard countless rumours about himself - his personality in particular, and this was just some of many.  “He’s really serious.” “He’s kinda intimidating.” “It’s hard to goof around with him.”

 

As if to spite them, Jongin zips up his bag and purposefully passes by them to head towards the exit despite there being many other alternative paths. It startles them and they immediately shut their mouths. He frankly does not find satisfaction in doing that - if ever, he is only being more counterintuitive, yet he does not care. This is probably one of the many struggles his agency has had to talk him through, but the profit he makes for the agency in his name is far more than how his personality issues concern them.

 

Junmyeon is seen crossing his arms and leaning against the wall, presumably waiting for Jongin to finish, and while the man is never a calm man, right now he is sporting the very same expression he had when he handed Jongin the phone to speak to Jongdae and Sehun about the revelation of his drunken mistake 5 months ago. 

 

“Please tell me it’s not that bad.” Jongin mutters once he is close enough his manager can hear him. 

 

“Sorry to disappoint you, then.”

 

Jongin takes a deep breath and sighs, following Junmyeon on his tail to march towards their van. “Does it have something to do with Kyungsoo?”

 

“No,” Junmyeon denies. “But it could possibly cause a rift between you two for sometime, depending on how this issue progresses.”

 

Only able to speculate, Jongin manages to keep calm until they have reached the van and closed the doors. He does not even wait for Junmyeon to finish securing his safety belt when he jumps right into it. “Okay, so what happened?”

 

Their driver is still smoking outside as Junmyeon sneaks a look at him. But then again, there is no point of being hush-hush if the thing has already reached public attention by now. Jongin sighs out of frustration at his manager stalling. “Junmyeon.”

 

“I only just knew this coz’ of the news,” Junmyeon informs him. “Someone just claimed that you didn’t pay for child support, of your child.”