Nineteen

Monochromatic Hearts

Monochromatic Hearts

 

 

“When is your movie filming starting, Jongin?”

 

The idol leaves his mother on loudspeaker while he mixes his protein milkshake in a tumbler, closing the lid tightly before shaking it well. There are audible baby voices on the other line, most probably Rahee playing near his mother.

 

“I just had my table read yesterday. If everything goes well, it should start next month.” 

 

“Have you gotten anything for Kyungsoo’s birthday? Your sister and I made a sweater for him but we’re not sure how to get it to him on time…”

 

Jongin pauses amidst drinking, frowning. “…Birthday?”

 

“You forgot it, didn’t you?”

 

“No, I…”

 

He puts down his tumbler, lost in thought. Unfortunately, Jongin did, in fact, forget about it. 

 

“Oh! Sweetie, did you ask him yet?”

 

Jongin returns his attention to his mother on the line. “Ask what?”

 

“About the marriage.”

 

“M-Mom, it’s too soon for that…”

 

“Did you forget what I said too, now sweetie?”

 

Of course not. That Jongin remembers. His mother made it clear she wants nothing more than for the children not to be born out of wedlock. Conventional, Jongin thinks. That’s a typical mother for you. 

 

She ends the call after asking Jongin if he’s planning on paying them a visit anytime soon, to which Jongin answers with a wavering no. His mother asking that could only mean that she wants him to bring Kyungsoo too, and the idol’s not sure if Kyungsoo’s free anytime soon. 

 

He finishes his entire protein shake before dumping the bottle in the sink to be washed by the housekeeper later. When he realizes he’s been staring at the sink for some time due to his cluttered mind, he shakes his thoughts off. Taking lazy steps into his living room, he sprawls himself on the couch, his phone in his grip and thumb tapping on the blank screen incessantly.

 

After much thought, Jongin unlocks his phone and goes to his chat messenger.

 

“just curious, how many months r the twins now?”

 

The reply comes a little after 20 minutes, with Jongin getting bored of waiting and tuning on to some crime reality show on the television. Accompanying the notification tone is the sender doh k on the screen.

 

“They’re almost five months along. What’s wrong, Jongin?”

 

“like i said, just curious”

 

Jongin drops his phone at his side and presses on his temples. Five months means… four months left. Four months left to delivery and that is assuming Kyungsoo will have no prior health complications that could lead to premature birth. He should be fine, right? Kyungsoo seems like a health-conscious person, although clueless at some times.

 

Putting that aside, there isn’t much time left for him to fulfil his mother’s wishes, like the filial son that he is. His mother was made to believe that Jongin and Kyungsoo was in a real relationship, if only to not get on his mother’s bad side. The situation back then was different. Now… has there been any notable changes in their relationship now?

 

Nothing of the nature of their relationship was verbally spoken nor confirmed. They kissed… but that was it. Did anything change? 

 

“u dont work weekends right?”

 

“I work Saturdays too now, but only half day. Same like Fridays.”

 

Friday… that’s tomorrow.

 

“make some time for me tmrw”

 

“Okay, Jongin. What are we doing?”

 

“bringing u to meet some people”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo is early to work.

 

He has swept the floor on the hair section, sterilized the chairs and tools and even neatly arranged the tools in the station despite it not being his duty that day. After some time fidgeting around the salon with only Bora (she’s always been an early bird) inside with him, he settles in one of the chair and brings out his makeup bag, making a mental note to clean up and sterilize it all over again before the salon opens.

 

His phone has not stopped vibrating with notifications, prompting him to turn the vibrations off. It is his Instagram, being flooded with greetings from his followers for the special occasion that day. 

 

Kyungsoo digs through his makeup bag for his lip tint, reapplying it over his lips after having breakfast just now which effectively wiped some of it off. It should be therapeutic, but he still feels somewhat nervous. 

 

“Good morning, Kyungsoo,” Amber greets her with a yawn, and Kyungsoo returns the greeting with a polite nod and a smile. Ever since the incident, Kyungsoo thought they would nose in and ask him a lot of things, but that isn’t the case, and he’s glad for it. Amber treats her all the same, taking cautions not to pry into his personal business much, although she does look knowing

 

She then goes straight to the staff’s room at the back. Kyungsoo turns back to the mirror, at the frown in his reflection. He instinctively fixes his bangs, using the end of his pinky to even them across his forehead. He thinks he looks okay. 

 

“We’re opening in 5 minutes!” Bora announces through the speakers, and Kyungsoo rushes to pack up and re-sterilize the place.

 

-

 

“Say, you still like those blueberry cheese tarts I bought you last year, right?”

 

Kyungsoo purses his lips, his phone on his ear while he unties his work apron. “Baekhyun, I’m—”

 

“I’m not sure if that bakery is still in business- oh. Jongdae said it is. After Sehun’s radio show, we’ll be over real quick—”

 

“Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo cuts in. “I- I have somewhere I need to be. And I um… I’m not sure what time I’ll be home.”

 

There is a slight pause on the line. “You’re getting off work now, right? Where are you going? I thought your doctor’s appointment isn’t in another few weeks.”

 

“I’m not going to the doctor,” Kyungsoo says, switching hands to reach for his backpack on the rack. He looks around the staff room, to some workers who have arrived for their shift in the latter half. He isn’t very close to them. “He said I’m meeting someone.”

 

“…You mean Jongin? Meeting who?”

 

“I uh, don’t know actually… It sounds important, though.”

 

“Do you need me to be there with you?”

 

“What- no no, it’s fine. I think I’ll be fine. He’s with me.”

 

“If he ever does something funny, you know who to call.”

 

Kyungsoo merely chuckles at that, and afterwards telling Baekhyun he’ll hang up now. His friend says to drop him a call once he’s home so they can celebrate a certain occasion together.

 

Once getting all his things, Kyungsoo says his goodbyes to his close coworkers, and smiles at the ones he doesn’t talk much to. On the way out, Chanyeol is there at the reception counter discussing things with Bora, and upon noticing Kyungsoo they both offer him a smile and a wave, to which Kyungsoo returns albeit a little shyly. 

 

Kyungsoo exits quietly, positive there are eyes on him. Jongin’s impromptu visit to the salon has definitely left a huge impression on them, especially with the involvement of Kyungsoo in it, but he thinks Chanyeol plays a pivotal role making sure nothing of it is spoken while on work grounds, or anytime at all. Although that is well appreciated, this left Kyungsoo in an awkward position sometimes to the point that he can’t even properly look his fellow coworkers in the eyes when they talk because they know, and Kyungsoo’s utterly embarrassed because of it. 

 

He stops just before the streets, and instead of going for the bus stop like he usually does, he scans the streets for any familiar car. Jongin has not specified if he will pick him up with his or Junmyeon’s car through his texts.

 

“Waiting for someone?”

 

Naturally, Kyungsoo startles. He looks up at the man beside him, hardly recognizing him at first. It’s the same man who asked him strange things a few days back at the salon. “H-Hello.”

 

The man, Mr. Yoo or so he is called, eyes him for a little and grins. He’s wearing a brown winter coat, and his hair swept back, looking formally dressed for some reason. “Hello to you too.”

 

Kyungsoo quickly checks his phone for any new text, disappointed to find none. He buries his face in the grey muffler around his neck, tempted to also pull up the hood of his navy coloured duffle coat. 

 

“Do you not work full day today?” Mr. Yoo looks over at the salon curiously.

 

“No,” Kyungsoo answers, a nervous smile plastered on his lips. 

 

“I see. Off to home, now? You actually just moved here recently, right?”

 

Kyungsoo almost retorts with a ‘how did you know that?’ but thinks better to bite his tongue, holding it in. Instead, he puts on a more convincing smile. “Mr. Yoo, do you live around here?”

 

The man spares him an unreadable glance and takes out his cigarette pack from his bag. “I live close.”

 

At that moment, a car pulls up on the shoulder of the road and honks, catching both of their attention to it. Kyungsoo instantly recognizes the white Prius, almost sighing in relief too. He turns to Mr. Yoo and bows curtly before making his way to the car. 

 

Junmyeon urges him to sit in front, so he does. He’s confused why Jongin isn’t there with him, but he figures it’s not the time to ask yet while that funny man is still outside eyeing the car with lazed curiosity, lighting his cigarette. Seeing the apparent discomfort from the pregnant male, Junmyeon returns to the road without uttering a word. 

 

It’s a minute into driving when Junmyeon speaks. “Saw you spoke to him. Do you know that man?”

 

Kyungsoo swallows nervously. “He was my client, is all. Kept asking weird things, though…”

 

“Probably a journalist. I think they figured out who you are.”

 

Taking a glance at the idol manager, Kyungsoo plays with his thumbs absentmindedly as if it would ease his restlessness. “Do you think it’s bad?”

 

Junmyeon snorts, but it is not out of amusement. “I suppose you’ll find out about that soon, huh?”

 

-

 

The questioned absence of Jongin in the car is answered when Junmyeon brought him to the SM building out of all places. When doubts were asked about the identity of the person or people he will be going to see in a minute, Junmyeon simply told him not to worry about it. 

 

They pass by the SUM Cafe, ever full of people swinging by for a higher chance of spotting their favourite celebrities. The place gives him memories, neither good nor bad, but ones that make him feel a little melancholic. He and Sehun’s team used to hit the cafe all the time after their schedule. Kyungsoo also met Jongin and his friends by chance, the same day after he came back from his first doctor visit, and the idol looked cold. It intimidated Kyungsoo a slight, especially when the idol texted him to come and see him at the washrooms later on. But when Jongin asked him how the appointment went, Kyungsoo all but went lax. That was old. He was not even showing at that time.

 

Now, as they wait for the elevator to arrive, Kyungsoo finds himself wandering to even older memories, particularly to the time he first found out he was carrying. He found himself reliving that fear again, and the fear of having to let his close friends know about it. It was Baekhyun who learnt of it first, having entered Kyungsoo’s bathroom when he slept over at the former makeup artist’s old rundown apartment, and it did not take a genius to know what those pile of white sticks haphazardly thrown into the bin were. There were at least a dozen. Kyungsoo was careless, but this carelessness saved him the pain from having to tell Baekhyun by himself, which he was all too scared to do so. Revelation was frightful for an already distressed Kyungsoo at that time. Baekhyun had to cuddle the sobbing male to sleep.

 

Sehun and Jongdae followed next, but it was not in person. Rousing from sleep the morning after in Kyungsoo’s bed with the male beside him, Baekhyun was the one who texted the idol of this news, and it was only because Kyungsoo did not want to personally face them when they learnt of it. It did not mean Kyungsoo was any less nervous about it.

 

Presently, he has similar feelings of unease, but it is the ambiguity of the coming event as the acting source of it. He does not know what to expect, and it isn’t the most helpful that neither the idol nor the manager is providing details to him. Kyungsoo’s scared.

 

-

 

Jongin is on his phone and the two senior managers are discussing matters with each other when there is a light knock on the door. Putting his phone down, he eyes the newcomers, expecting the very person he wants the presence of, while getting rid of his beanie and lightly pushing his hair back.

 

Junmyeon is seen urging the pregnant male to enter first, to which the latter does, his body stiff and shoulders tight. Jongin should have known this would stress him out, but he also knows this meeting cannot be proceeded without both the involving parties present. He just hopes the elder male would be able to put up with them for a bit.

 

“Good afternoon, Mr. Doh Kyungsoo.” One of the senior managers greets warmly. “A pleasure to finally meet you.”

 

Kyungsoo bows as far as he can, his nervousness apparent. “Good afternoon.” When he meets Jongin’s eyes, he seems a little freaked out. Maybe Jongin should have had Junmyeon explain to him about what this meeting would be about, for the idol thought that the lesser details would exert lesser stress on the hairstylist, but evidently it does little to him.

 

“Please, have a seat.” She pulls out a chair for him but is stopped when another chair on the opposite side of the desk scrapes the floor. It’s Jongin’s.

 

“He’ll sit with me, please,” Jongin announces, immediately going over to where Kyungsoo is standing and grabs his smaller hand, pulling him towards his previous seat. Kyungsoo’s hand feels so cold. 

 

Jongin pulls out a chair for him, barely noticing how Kyungsoo looks skeptical at the entire situation before actually sitting down. He doesn’t blame him, though. 

 

The senior managers introduce themselves first, and they immediately bring up the issue at hand, seeing no point in idle talk. Kyungsoo’s identity as someone who previously worked under the same agency must have been old knowledge to them. 

 

In brief, they are informed of the very nature of their relationship and what it means to Jongin’s career, as well as prospective events ahead of them.

 

“In light of recent event, in which it’s hard to tell if our efforts prevailed in making sure it wouldn’t spread more, we had previously discussed with Jongin if he could bring you to see us. We need your input, because this isn’t just about Jongin now. Your image itself, despite being a non public figure, will be affected to some extent.”

 

Jongin sneaks a glance at the man beside him. They really are not sugarcoating anything, but he expects nothing less from businesspeople as such. Kyungsoo on the other hand, seems to be absorbing all the information with difficulty; frown on his lips, fingers fiddling on his lap. Should Jongin hold his hand again?

 

There’s nothing new for Jongin to hear. A timeframe is selected, a rough date proposed. Should things proceed without any external hindrances, then they would have no reason to push up the date. 

 

This is, of course, an unwelcomed surprise to Kyungsoo. Two months before his expected due date - March will be an eventful month.

 

-

 

They spend no more than 45 minutes inside the meeting room. The two managers excused themselves first for another commitment to attend to, while Jongin and Kyungsoo stay back.

 

In all the time during the discussion, not once did Kyungsoo turn to look Jongin’s way. Now that they’re alone Kyungsoo finally does. 

 

“You didn’t say anything.” Is what comes out of his mouth first, and it takes Jongin by surprise. “Why?”

 

“Ah… I didn’t have much to say. They already reviewed it with me before today.”

 

“No, I mean— um,” Kyungsoo falters, his cheeks gaining warmth. “They mentioned a w...w-wedding…”

 

Jongin mentally buffers, and when he finally does register that word, he rubs his palm over his face in a resigned manner. Clearly he stopped listening at some point for he was too preoccupied with Kyungsoo beside him, who must have put effort into dolling himself up because for some reason, Kyungsoo looks pretty today. Jongin isn’t sure if it’s just the makeup or if he actually missed the elder male. “I told them to leave that part out…” He mutters under his breath, into his palm. 

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. It’s— I think you shouldn’t think too much about it.” Jongin sighs, checking the time on his phone. “You must be hungry.”

 

“Is the press conference really necessary?” Kyungsoo asks instead of responding to the statement. He looks frightened, and Jongin forgets that although all these future events came as something he knew he should face and having already accepted that fact, Kyungsoo, in turn, possibly did not foresee this. “I- I get that it probably would be announced at some point but I don’t get why… a press con.”

 

These questions are better off asked during the discussion itself, but Jongin gets why Kyungsoo expresses his doubts now. “It’s expected to be big news, and they want me to personally announce it for image reasons, and other things benefitting the company in that regards but yeah, you get me.”

 

“Will you be okay?”

 

Of all questions, Jongin was not expecting… that. “Why do you ask that?”

 

Kyungsoo looks down. “Th- They said you’ll have to show up alone, and answering the reporters… If it were for any other occasion, it wouldn’t have sounded as scary… Are you not scared?”

 

“I’m… not scared of the reporters. Standing on my own during the press con is the least of my concern. But what follows next…” He trails off, seemingly lost in the thoughts of what-ifs, because his image as an idol will be dented without doubt. Although he has several projects that follow the course of the next year even with the pre-planned announcement in between, it still doesn’t warrant the fact that he will be regarded the same after the news come to light. 

 

“You were right.”

 

Jongin was too lost in thought he fails to notice the shorter male was deliberating something with himself, and has spoken up.

 

“I shouldn’t have kept them.”

 

At the spiteful words, Jongin frowns. “What are you talking about?”

 

“I… can I go home now?” Kyungsoo questions instead, refusing to look him in the eyes. “I don’t want to be here anymore.”

 

Jongin eyes him with worry, at the strange behaviour the elder male is exhibiting. Did he hear him correctly just now? “Yeah, of course.” He gets up first, helping Kyungsoo up afterwards. “But I kinda hoped you could join us for lunch? Late lunch.”

 

“Lunch?”

 

“Yeah. I’m sure you must be hungry. You came here right after clocking out, right?”

 

Kyungsoo seems to be deliberating it, staring at his hand being gently held by the taller man quietly, before he gives Jongin a small smile and a nod.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo has been staring out the window of Junmyeon’s car quietly, seated at the back while the idol in the passenger seat. Fingers softly tapping on his growing belly, he wonders to himself when will he find out about their genders. 

 

Upon arriving at their destination, which seems to be a cafe or some sort, Jongin rummages through the content of his bag and hands Kyungsoo a clean piece of mouth mask. At first, Kyungsoo reckons it strange since he isn’t a celebrity himself, but soon remembers his situation. He takes it from Jongin’s hand, fixing it on himself. 

 

Before walking up the cafe, Jongin goes over to Kyungsoo and pulls up the hood of his duffle coat, raising it over his head carefully. He himself has his own beanie and a white mask over the lower half of his face. He doesn’t say anything, and Kyungsoo finds himself staring in his eyes once he’s done with it. 

 

“Let’s go,” He hears Jongin say over the fabric of his mask, a hand resting on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

The cafe seems, to say the least, expensive, although frankly there are not many customers there. Kyungsoo figures that is the reason Jongin brought them here. This is the first time both of them are going out in public, yet still undercover. Kyungsoo isn’t so sure if it’s a good idea, but he trusts Jongin and wants nothing more than to obey him.

 

Junmyeon is seen speaking with the waiter who greets them, and soon they are ushered to a more secluded booth in the cafe, away from potential prying onlookers. Kyungsoo keeps fiddling with the mask around his face, his whole form remaining under Jongin’s guarding hold, as if it serves to keep any amount of attention away from him, so Kyungsoo lets him.

 

They settle into their seats, with Kyungsoo and Jongin beside each other while the manager on the opposite side. Skimming the menu briefly, Kyungsoo decides the plain water as the most economical choice.

 

“I’m not sure what to eat…” Jongin mumbles to himself, eyes scanning the menu. He has not taken off his mask yet, so Kyungsoo hasn’t too. When the idol looks up at him, Kyungsoo bashfully returns to the menu, pretending to deliberate over the food choices. 

 

“Anything you like? Or should we go someplace else?”

 

“Um, no, this place is fine…” Kyungsoo lies through his teeth, hiding his face behind the menu. 

 

“It’s on me. Choose anything you like.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns. “Jongin, do you not remember that I make my own money too…?”

 

“It’s your birthday, isn’t it? Let me treat you.”

 

The idol blurts it out so casually it stumps Kyungsoo for a moment. “How did you know?”

 

“You told me once,” Jongin says, this time sounding less assertive. “And uh, I kinda forgot about it until my mom reminded me about it… Sorry, I didn’t really have a chance to prepare anything.”

 

Kyungsoo blinks, finds himself flushing, and goes back to the menu. “Th- That’s fine. Um, this is more than fine.”

 

“Yeah,” Jongin responds meekly.

 

“Wow, I really shouldn’t be here, huh.”

 

They both are startled at Junmyeon’s voice from across of them. The manager is resting his chin on his palm, looking utterly bored - or plain amused - or both. He points to the waiter at the side, seemingly waiting and probably has been for a while. Kyungsoo’s blush deepens.

 

In the end, Kyungsoo chooses some steamed whole fish with lemon butter sauce, seeing as that seems the less oily. He could have chosen some steak but decided to lay off of it while he’s still carrying, at least. He is most definitely indulgent in his beverage choice, though.

 

“Speaking of my mom,” Jongin takes off his mask and stuffs it in the pocket of his sweater. “She would love to see you again.”

 

Kyungsoo mimics Jongin’s action, removing his mask too and he lets the hood stay around his head. He flushes at the thought of meeting Jongin’s mom again, remembering the warmth feeling she gave and how she made him feel so welcomed despite the circumstances. “Really?”

 

“She, um, told me to give you her contact number in case you want to ask her anything about, uh, being pregnant and all,” Jongin takes out his phone, not waiting for Kyungsoo to respond, and soon enough Kyungsoo’s phone pings with a notification. “But like, no pressure, though.” Jongin immediately adds.

 

“When is your next doctor appointment?” Junmyeon interrupts, sending an expectant look to Jongin, but this exchange goes unnoticed by the pregnant male who is focused on trying to recall his next date.

 

“Sometime around the end of January… I need to check again.” 

 

“I think you should already be able to tell their genders, shouldn’t you?” Junmyeon asks out of curiosity. 

 

“It should have happened on my recent visit, but apparently none of them were visible enough so the doctor couldn’t tell…”

 

Junmyeon hums. “Jongin likes sons, by the way.”

 

The idol sputters, mostly out of embarrassment as he gives a pointed look at his manager. “Junmyeon, what the hell.”

 

“You do?” Kyungsoo turns to ask, resting his hand on his round belly instinctively. “I- I’m sorry in advance if they’re not boys, though…” If he could manually assign genders to the children, he probably would have done it for Jongin… but in the end, it all depends on the strength of the two …

 

The waitress arrives at such a convenient time to place their drinks, making the three of them go quiet for a bit. Once she’s gone, Jongin grabs his iced latte and plays with the straw, grumbling. “I really don’t mind… It’s not like we have control over it.”

 

Kyungsoo seems to be transfixed with how Jongin looks a little acquiescent, his thumb caressing the side of his bump in a form of habit. Pulling his glass of chocolate and caramel milkshake towards him, he starts with small sips of the cool beverage, quietly thinking to himself how he hopes the twins would be boys too.

 

-

 

They eat in relative silence, with Junmyeon asking how things at work are for Kyungsoo, and the latter answering back. Otherwise, Jongin doesn’t really talk much, opts to just listen to the male beside him speak. Kyungsoo is so soft-spoken, it isn’t the first time he notices this trait of course, but without having to pay attention to the context as he usually does when he’s the one talking to him, he can’t help but to find it lovely.

 

Jongin obviously chickened out from mentioning marriage. He cannot believe the agency had to bring that up as if anything about that was confirmed yet from his side. Marriage is a huge deal, and they’re not even dating so honestly he doesn’t see himself approaching that stage of their whatever sort of relationship they’re having not anytime soon. 

 

But he gets it, though. To expect kids when they’re not even wedded is still heavily stigmatized here, and he also knows it’s worse for the one who’s carrying - that being Kyungsoo. Jongin expected a more frightened reaction out of him after that brief meeting back at the SM headquarters, but the hairstylist was frightened for Jongin instead.

 

Did he not hear that part where the senior manager mentioned about how Kyungsoo’s very own image would be affected too? Or is he just not bothered by it? And what did Kyungsoo mean when he said he shouldn’t have kept ‘them’? Jongin would have asked all these if his manager wasn’t here. 

 

Too caught up with his train of thoughts, he barely notices Kyungsoo has gone from his side, his plate of some fish menu already swept clean. When he looks at Junmyeon puzzled, his manager just says he went to the lavatory. 

 

“You know how they say pregnancy makes you frequent the toilet more?” Junmyeon asks, forking the carrot chunk on his plate and stuffing it into his mouth. 

 

“I know,” Jongin claims, more appalled at the fact that Kyungsoo didn’t say anything to him when he’s right beside him. “My sister said something about the pressure of the growing womb against the bladder.”

 

He misses the part where Junmyeon regards him with a knowing gaze. “You’re doing well.”

 

“What?”

 

“I said you’re doing well,” Junmyeon repeats, and Jongin looks at him weird.

 

“The hell do you mean by that…” Jongin murmurs, finally hearing someone approaching and taking a seat beside him. He turns to find Kyungsoo resuming his drink, a somewhat breezy mood around him, and upon noticing the sudden silence the pregnant male looks up at a staring Jongin.

 

“Is something wrong?” He asks, a little self-conscious now with the way he suddenly fidgets with the hood of his coat. “Are there journalists…?” He starts to peek at the interior of the restaurant, and that piques Jongin’s attention.

 

“Journalists? Shouldn’t I be the one worried about that?”

 

When Kyungsoo turns back, he seems a little hesitant. Thankfully, Junmyeon speaks up for him.

 

“Kyungsoo said he had a client who asked him weird things. I saw him talking to him when I picked him up just now.”

 

That’s… worrying. “What did he say to you?” He directs the question at Kyungsoo.

 

“Just things… like asking where I live… and some stuff about knowing me as Sehun’s ex-makeup artist? I’m not sure why he mentioned that…”

 

“He was obviously fishing for info,” Jongin infers, his brows furrowing in growing concern, vexed that someone would even bother a heavily pregnant person just for some gossip. “Don’t talk to him if he shows up again.”

 

“He came as a client, Jongin. I can’t make him go away if he shows up as a client again,” Kyungsoo reasons. “Also, I wasn’t really sure if he was a journalist…”

 

“He is. He probably thought you were gullible since you’re not a celeb yourself,” Jongin scratches underneath his chin, thinking. “You should be more careful.”

 

Junmyeon snorts. “Says the one who was caught smok—”

 

Kyungsoo looks mildly startled at how the manager hisses in pain and bends down to rub somewhere at his lower half with a glare set on Jongin, while Jongin remains undisturbed. Junmyeon’s shin is literally just bone. 

 

He calmly turns to Kyungsoo as if nothing happened. “Do you want cake?”

 

-

 

At the news that a weird journalist started tailing on Kyungsoo, Jongin offers to walk him up all the way to his unit, actually forgetting that by doing that itself is an invitation towards more gossip materials if they were to be caught…

 

“You don’t have to!” Kyungsoo covers his mouth, and continues but softer. “I- I have plans with Baekhyun later so I don’t think I’ll be going up anyways…”

 

Jongin furrows his brows, looking at the digital clock on Junmyeon’s car audio system. “Isn’t it kinda late? Where is Baekhyun taking you to?”

 

“Outside?” Kyungsoo sounds unsure. “He didn’t say, but he did just text me he’s already waiting.”

 

Jongin crosses his arms, looking out the window with a fix glare. He certainly doesn’t care much. It’s not like he wanted to spend more time with Kyungsoo in his apartment and perhaps stay overnight like some nights ago anyways. He’s not bitter at all.

 

“Sehun will be there too, won't he?” He asks.

 

“How did you know?” Kyungsoo asks back, sounding genuinely surprised and not realizing that by that manner itself is an answer enough. 

 

Of course he’s going to be there, too. Kyungsoo doesn’t have a lot of close friends so it’s positive to say Jongin already knows who they all are. Given their long standing relationships and years of working together, it shouldn’t be a surprise his close friends wanted to celebrate his birthday with him too. Jongin isn’t special.

 

“Text me once you know where you’re headed,” Jongin grumbles. “Actually, text me when you get home too. Or if you have troubles getting home.”

 

When Jongin hears a soft chuckle instead of getting a simple ‘okay’, he turns back to see. “What’s funny?”

 

Kyungsoo seems amused, his eyes forming crescents and lips parted to make way for a lovely gummy smile. “Nothing. It’s just funny how you sounded like Baekhyun when I talked to him just now.”

 

Jongin doesn’t particularly find that humorous, and so turns back to the front. What he deduced from that is that Baekhyun still does not seem to have complete trust in him when it comes to Kyungsoo, but this detail is not worth of his concern. He doesn’t really care about getting to Kyungsoo’s friends’ good side, especially not when one of them used to be his own best friend and tried to hit on Kyungsoo, which apparently was unsuccessful. Good.

 

When they arrive in front of Kyungsoo’s residence, Jongin tries to single out any familiar van or car, and finding none, he assumes they’re taking Jongdae’s car since he’s never seen his car before. 

 

“Oh, that’s them—”

 

Not waiting for Kyungsoo to finish, Jongin is already out of the car.

 

-

 

Sehun is chatting with his dancer friend when Jongdae suddenly exclaims: “Ah, that’s Junmyeon’s car.”

 

“Our birthday boy is finally here. Took them long enough.” Baekhyun runs off his mouth as he looks out the window, and Sehun follows. A white Prius seems to have parked itself on the other side of the road. They probably didn’t recognize Jongdae’s car.

 

Sehun only had a radio show appearance today, and he is free for the rest of the evening. That is when Baekhyun told him they should celebrate Kyungsoo’s birthday together. Sehun, after having promised both Kyungsoo and Jongin that he wouldn’t meet Kyungsoo alone anymore, saw this as a good excuse to see him again. 

 

“I thought they weren’t dating.” Says Jongdae.

 

“Kyungsoo never told me anything about them being exclusive so no, I don’t think they’re dating,” Baekhyun adds. “Besides, Jongin is still kind of a .”

 

“Should I bring my car over there?” Jongdae asks, his hand ready to switch gears. “Oh wait, never mind. Seems like they’re coming here instead.”

 

Sehun watches how, instead of his ex-makeup artist coming out of the car, it is his arch nemesis ex-best friend which is odd considering he isn’t here for a joint celebration. 

 

“Why is Jongin out instead?” Baekhyun vocalizes the question which was on Sehun’s mind too. “Oh. I never took him for a gentleman.” He says, as Jongin opens the door for Kyungsoo. “I should probably—”

 

Baekhyun never finishes his sentence, and the three of the them go wide-eyed as they witness the scene unfolding before them, because not only did Jongin open the car door for him - he also dips down to kiss Kyungsoo’s cheek.

 

“You just said they weren’t dating!” Jongdae exclaims.

 

“Hell if I know! Kyungsoo never said anything!” Baekhyun says, hysterical. “He did not need to flex on us like that. That was a prick move!”

 

Sehun merely scoffs. When Baekhyun announces he’s going to go out to “snatch Kyungsoo out of that ”, Sehun hushes him, unbuckling his seatbelt and steps out instead. 

 

He exhales, seeing his breath fog up a slight, and with hands in the pockets of his down jacket, Sehun leans against Jongdae’s car. 

 

Jongin has brought Kyungsoo out, and the latter looks dazed, with his palm on his cheek that was pecked just now. If it wasn’t for the makeup Kyungsoo would have spotted pinking cheeks. Sehun puts up a smile once Jongin sees him, but as expected the other idol doesn’t smile back. Sehun should have known it would be hard to mend their friendship anymore, but it’s also entertaining to poke fun at him. 

 

“Good evening,” Sehun greets once they’re close enough, not missing out how they are holding hands. This warning, not very discreetly masked as a possessive behaviour, is definitely a Jongin thing to do. “Time to switch?”

 

“Hi Sehun,” Kyungsoo says, actually looking pleased (and also unsurprisingly nervous) to see Sehun. It has been a while, frankly. When Sehun holds out an inviting hand, he sees the way Kyungsoo reach out, only for Jongin to pull him back. Sehun raises an eyebrow at him. 

 

Without saying anything, Jongin marches forward to open the door to the backseat, which startles the crap out of Baekhyun who is seated there. He gently pulls Kyungsoo and urges him to step in. 

 

Sehun scoffs again, perhaps a little annoyed now at the behaviour and he runs his hand through his now black locks to suppress his itch. At this point, it’s frivolous.

 

“Now that you guys are dating, you should be more careful,” Sehun pats his cheek once, referring to the sudden PDA Jongin decided to pull just now. 

 

“Look after yourself,” Jongin shoots back with a disinterested face, walking back to his manager’s car. 

 

Chuckling to himself Sehun goes back inside, hearing Baekhyun asking Kyungsoo where Jongin took him to. Apparently the senior management was consulting him about Jongin’s situation. Sehun figures it was about time anyways.

 

Sehun doesn’t really mean to listen in; it’s just that they’re confined within the vehicle as Jongdae begins entering the main roads and towards their destination and there isn’t really space for private conversation. He remains in the front passenger seat, pretending to look out the window and at the evening traffic, while Baekhyun like the nosey friend that he is, tries to pry any and everything from Kyungsoo, especially relating to Jongin.

 

“What do you mean you guys aren’t actually dating?” Baekhyun asks, and Sehun can hear the pregnant male laughing nervously. 

 

“We’re really not,” He says. “I mean, I don’t think we are…”

 

“Did you guys kiss?” 

 

“…I’m almost 5 months pregnant with his kids and you’re asking me if we kissed?”

 

“We saw him kissing your cheek and you’re telling me you guys aren’t dating?”

 

This is a painful conversation to unintentionally eavesdrop on, Sehun mentally decides as he scratches his head. Since Baekhyun has no knowledge of Sehun’s harbored feelings for Kyungsoo, the former is not holding himself back at all, but Sehun still prefers it this way, although he does realize he’s not the only one uncomfortable about the topic at hand.

 

“If we really were together, I wouldn’t be this confused either…” Sehun hears Kyungsoo say in defeat, and it has him thinking if Jongin actually took him up on his advice - on staying by Kyungsoo’s side without giving Kyungsoo a solid answer.

 

That stubborn coward.

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

“[PANN] Sehun spotted hanging out with his friends?”

 

OP was eating at a sushi restaurant when she spotted Sehun and his friends walking in and headed to the VIP area. OP asked for his autograph, and Sehun obliged. OP said it looked like they were celebrating something because she saw a waiter bringing cake with lit candles to the VIP area.

 

[.JPEG]

OP said she couldn’t take a clearer picture because Sehun and his friends rushed inside. 

 

[.JPEG]

Sehun’s autograph that OP received.

 

Pann : Oh Sehun spotted celebrating an occasion with friends

 

1. [+437, -288] His “friend” looks very pregnant

2. [+430, -189] It’s definitely him, isn’t it?

      - but if it really was him, he wouldn’t have been that careless about being seen spending time with his alleged boyfriend…

3. [+359, -90] So it really wasn’t just empty rumor…

      - sorry but what rumor? 

      - remember that blind item from months ago? About an idol having knocked up a non-celeb who worked from the same agency

4. [+211, -87] His makeup artist wasn’t really subtle about it. Heard he resigned as soon as the blind item broke

5. [+210, -243] And here I really thought it was Kim Kai. Remember that leaked photos of him smoking and coming out of some residence? He also just recently bought an SUV…