six

CLICHÉ
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KIRA;

I don’t know what Mr Han’s problem is. I don’t even bother him after he kicked me out of the team. I didn’t even demand to be on the team again. Why does he still have to bother me? Just ‘fortunate’ for me that he is my lecturer for one of my classes for my second semester of my third year. I groan so hard when it comes to his class. I don’t even bother to look at him during class. It’s not that I’m playing with my phone, anyway. Just because I look down, he always calls out my name, asking me to pay attention to the slides in front. He would tell me to sit up straight, don’t doodle and whatnot. I am so annoyed. What is his problem?

But a more important matter needs to be attended to. After due consideration of my family, we are finally going to execute the plan Jongin suggested to us – to hold an art exhibition for Aki’s drawing. We got support from his previous psychiatrist and a sponsor to pay the fee of the exhibition from Aki’s current psychiatrist. They both were thrilled with the idea and are hoping that it would go well. I keep on smiling thinking about it, knowing it was Jongin who suggested it. It just made me love him more.

On the day Kai came so suddenly, I wasn’t ready. I was badly shaking, to be honest, but I hid it well enough from Kai’s sight. Thankfully, Mama understood that I needed time to talk things out with Kai. And I was glad that we had that talk. Only then, I realized that I shouldn’t be afraid anymore. Kai accepts me for who I am and my family. And most of all, he accepts Aki. That factor is the biggest factor of all.

Finally, I realized that Aki disliked my previous boyfriends due to the fact that they showed genuine disgust when they first saw Aki and fake their faces after. Aki, despite being an autistic, he detects things fast. Only he can’t enhance that skill in learning. He could only comprehend so much yet so little. But he was fast on detecting facial expressions. That was the reason behind all the bites he left on my ex-boyfriends. At the moment he did that, I was always mad at him. He would come to me after and tell me that he loves me.

I realized it took me long enough to realize why he had done that. That, too, I had to consult his psychiatrist on why he was behaving that way. And when Aki met Kai, it was when everything was proven. Kai’s expression when he saw Aki was shocked in the beginning. Shocked, but never in disgust. And when he came back the second time, he gave Aki his sincere smile and I knew that Aki liked him when he grinned at Kai. He never did that to my ex-boyfriends.

Due to that, I knew Aki approved of Kai. And that mattered to me.

 

Handling or managing an art exhibition is not easy. The whole one week, I have to travel out of campus to see how things are going. Thankfully, I have Kai with me who accompanies me most of the time. But if he had football practice, he can’t come with me so I go with Hana and Nora. They, too, met my family. I finally got the courage to bring them and meet the family after being lectured by Kai and relating it to his story.

“You thought by opening up to me would make me leave you. But I didn’t. And I’m sure Hana and Nora wouldn’t leave you hanging. They’re mature enough to know that.”

And it didn’t stop there. I called it a lecture for a reason. I took Kai’s word for it and he was right. In college, things started to look different for me. New friends that I could trust and a partner I could give my heart to. I am changing and I like it.

It’s Friday, before the big day. Kai, Hana, Nora and I left for the gallery after our classes finished. When I arrived, Aki and my parents are here too. They are very impressed with the place. The only thing that is needed is a spotlight piece. Aki jumps up and down giddily with an excited grin on his face.

“Paintings! My paintings!” He says.

I hold his hand. “Are you happy?”

He looks at me. “Aki loves Kira,” he gurgles as he hugs me.

I laugh. “Kira loves Aki too.”

“Jongin!” Aki cries as he releases me and runs straight for Kai.

“Oh, now, he likes you more than me,” I say with a displeased, sarcastic tone.

Kai laughs. “Not my fault we became best buddies.”

“Jongin came! Jongin came!” Aki cries excitedly.

I walk away from them both and take a stroll of the exhibition. I look at each painting that Aki drew. Small and short descriptions were provided at the bottom of each painting. I sigh loudly, thinking of what I have to say tomorrow. I am going to be presenting about what this art is all about. I don’t know ways of captivating people with my speech. I’m afraid my choice of words will mess things up. I am nervous to the point my hands are shaking. I flex my hands, clenching then unclenching, but it doesn’t seem to subside.

“Will you chill?” Jongin stands next to me then flicks my shoulder.

“I’m sorry. Too nervous,” I say.

“You’ll do great. I’m sure of it. You’re a debater. Of course, you can do it.”

I shoot him a glare. He understands immediately and laughs. “Okay, ex-debater,” he rephrases.

I tilt my head as I look at him. “You cut your hair,” I say.

“Yeah, it was going to cover my eyes. Too long for me to handle.”

I laugh. “Okay, little chipmunk. You do look better.”

“I knew you’d like it.”

“Didn’t say I like it.”

“You indirectly did.”

“Did not.”

“Did.”

“Did not!”

“Kira.” Papa calls me. I roll my eyes at Jongin then left him with a grin.

Papa smiles at me. He embraces me then whispers, “I’m proud of you, sweetie.”

I frown and let go. “Papa, what’s going on?”

“Finally, your life is turning around. Great friends, great boyfriend – my soon-to-be son-in-law – “

“Papa!” I shriek.

He laughs. “And this event that he suggested for Aki.” He looks at me. “Kira, I’m certain that this boy is really taking Aki seriously. And you know, when someone can handle Aki, I’ll always approve.”

I smile. “Me too, Papa. I think he’ll be great in our family.”

Papa hugs me again. “We bless you and him, child.”

 

Saturday. Never have I felt nervous thinking about the day called Saturday. Usually, I’d be in bed, whaling and rolling like nobody’s business. I’d be in front of the TV, watching whatever crap the TV channels had to offer while munching on snacks. I’d be in the backyard on the grass, reading a book. I’d be having a chat with Mama on how the week has been. Or maybe I’d be in campus, too lazy to go home so I spend my Saturday in the room or meeting Kai at the cafeteria and chat or go out with Hana and Nora.

I wouldn’t expect my Saturday to be spent at an art exhibition when I’m clearly not a fan of art, and will be giving a speech on art.

But I figure this is different. This is about showing people that autistic people have talent and they can contribute to the world. To eliminate the stereotypes of thinking that autistic people don’t have rights. They deserve more rights than we do. They deserve more attention than we do. And each of them has a talent of their own. And it is our duty to enhance that talent and put it to use. It is to educate people too that patience is needed in dealing with autistic people. It’s not an easy task. But it’s worth the hardship.

I wait for Jongin to pick me up with his rented car at the gate of my hostel. My heart is beating rapidly, I can’t think straight. The speech is in my handbag, crumpled due to clenching it in my hand while I practised. I don’t care about the paper anymore. All I care is whether I can convey the contents of that paper.

A car stops in front of me and I see Jongin coming out of the car in his strapping tuxedo and spiked up hair. He gives me his sweet smile as I do the same. He opens the passenger door and gestures me to enter. Once we are settled in, he drives off.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter