one

CLICHÉ
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KAI;

I don’t know about you, but I think girls like cliché things done by boys. The ones they post on Twitter and Instagram - where they post pictures of what they do to their girlfriends such as bringing them food when they were craving for something in surprise or doing a surprise birthday party or even a surprise proposal but all they wanted to achieve was to be a couple. Not even a married one! Why spend so much on proposals that wouldn’t really guarantee the future of you and her? Or you and him? I loathed these people a lot. Not that I was envious, it just irked me to see how they had to publicize everything they do, everything they did for their partners. Not everyone wants to see that, you know? And believe me, I’m not one of them to be excited to see any of those, especially on my timeline.

I have a girlfriend. Yeah, it sounds like I’m speaking from an envious single man's point of view who’s lonely all his life. No. I would call her my wife-to-be if you must say. I wouldn’t call her fiancée. We’re not engaged to be married. It was a sort of a settled agreement between our parents since long ago. No, we’re not childhood sweethearts. I’ve never met her in all my schooling life. I’d only met her in college. Turned out that our parents were acquaintances. We’ve been together for almost 2 years now. Not yet married. But I’m sure looking forward to it.

How did we meet?

Well, that’s an interesting story. (To me, at least. I wouldn’t think you’d find it amusing or maybe just another “cliché” meet. Hence, the title Cliché.)

 

 

FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE

As a freshman in college, I didn’t blend in too quickly. Not to say it was because I was a nerd. I had looks. I was decent looking. But I had problems fitting in. Or maybe even making friends. I was an awkward turtle and an introvert. Making friends was the last thing I wanted to do on my first day. But situations demanded me to do so. I didn’t make friends. I made them my sources of guidance.

“Excuse me, can you tell me where the Arts Department is?”

“Excuse me, where is the library?”

“Excuse me, is the cafeteria this way?”

That was basically what I spoke to anyone I wished to ask help from. I was alone for 1 week. The Orientation Week. But since I’m a guy, guys had it a lot easier to make friends. I stuck with my roommates all throughout the week. I was quiet, though. I could make jokes with them but it didn’t reach to the point where we could share personal stories yet. I had trust issues.

On the first day of class, the minute I walked in, they were all playing with their phones. I mean, all of them. I seated myself by the window in the front row. The back was occupied. A reminder for me to come to class early so I can book a seat in the back. At least I could steal a few snoozes if I was seated there.

I looked at everyone. They were all antisocial. God, these people. Have they no life? Just as I was about to take out my MP3, a girl skidded into the class. Her shoes squeaked as she skidded to a stop, causing everyone to look at her momentarily then resume hogging their phone screens. I saw the way she dressed. It was a long black skirt matched with a white shirt and Converse Chuck Taylors. Her dressing was different than the other girls in the class. The others who didn’t even bother to dress up would just wear t-shirts and shorts. She was looking for an empty seat and she opted to sit next to me. Since the desks were arranged with a distance, she wasn’t exactly next to me. She sat down, her large white bag was placed on the floor, took out a book and started reading. She didn’t notice at all that I was looking at her.

I was a shy cat. I did not make the first move if that’s what you’re thinking. We went about our own business until our lecturer came in. Of course, first classes are obligatory to have an introduction session. After the lecturer introduced himself – which he goes by the name Mr. Jung – he pointed towards me to introduce myself first. (The downside of sitting in the front row at the farthest corner)

I stood up, went in front of the class and introduced myself.

“Kim Jongin. But you can call me Kai.”

Silence.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter