Jihyo's Ninth Birthday (bonus chapter 1/9)

Im Nayeon and the Eight Kids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Jeongyeon and Momo are nine years old, Sana, Jihyo and Mina are eight, Dahyun is seven, and Chaeyoung and Tzuyu are six. Basically, this bonus chapter is a continue on from the last chapter. 

 

 

 

—— 

 

Taking care of eight kids is really difficult. Nobody knew how Nayeon managed to feed eight mouths and (with the exception of Jeongyeon eating the nut-contained cookie) not have one of them get in a serious accident where they were taken to the hospital. Nayeon was proud at herself and so were the people who were around her. She made taking care of eight kids at age twenty, look effortless. Although, Nayeon wasn’t alone on this. She was offered help from JYP, Jisoo and Lisa, the GFriend staff, her mom and dad, Yeri and Joy, Seolhyun and many others. Im Nayeon has never been so grateful for the people around her. The bunny-toothed woman did some thinking about her whole life. This could be something she can write about in a book. 

 

“Nahhhh.” Nayeon says to herself as she flipped through the channels. “I don’t want to be that kind of mom.” She murmured to herself and stopped when she saw a music show airing. She screams when she saw IU on the screen. “Wahhhhh.” She awed as she felt herself leaning closer and closer towards the TV. Meanwhile, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu who have arrived early from school, walked into the house and stared at Nayeon weirdly. 

 

“What’s up with her?” Chaeyoung asked as Tzuyu shrugged. Tzuyu walks beside Nayeon who is keeping her attention on the screen, not noticing her youngest daughter approaching her. Then, the Taiwanese grabs the remote from her hand and turns off the TV. 

 

“YAH! Chou Tzuyu!” Nayeon yelled, trying to grab the remote from the maknae’s hand. Tzuyu shook her head as Chaeyoung watched in the background. 

 

“No, eomma! I can’t believe you!” Tzuyu scolds and Nayeon an eyebrow at her. 

 

“Listen, young lady! You should know who you’re talking to right now!” Nayeon threatens and Tzuyu shakes her head. 

 

“Eomma, you forgot again. Didn’t you?” Tzuyu asked and Nayeon looks at her in confusion. Chaeyoung shakes her head in disappointment and crosses her arms together. 

 

“It’s Jan 31st!” Chaeyoung huffs out. Nayeon furrows her eyebrows in concentration, trying to remember if anything important was happening. That’s when she realized as she let out a huge gasp. 

 

“Tomorrow is Jihyo’s birthday!” she yells out in panic. She constantly shakes Tzuyu, scaring the poor girl. 

 

 

 

 

 

“Excuse me, Miss?” The vice principal walks into the classroom and the teacher bows. At the sight of the vice principal, the students stop writing on their papers and place their pencils to the side, tentatively listening to the man.

 

“What seems to be the problem, sir?” The teacher asked and the man fished a sticky note out of his pocket. He then puts on his glasses, clearing his throat. 

 

“I have a message for Yoo Jeongyeon and Hirai Momo. It’s from your mom.” Their eyes widened at the mention of their names. Momo looks behind her shoulder to see Jeongyeon giving her a shrug, telling her that she had no clue on the message was about. “You two need to distract Jihyo for the day as I may or may not forget her birthday is tomorrow. Do not bring her home until 6:30.” The vice principal reads out loud, raising an eyebrow at the two students who were blushing from the embarrassment. The other students giggled at the two, they think fondly of their mother.

 

“Oh great. If this doesn’t say a forgetful mother, then what will?” Jeongyeon mumbles under her breath as she slaps her own forehead. Momo’s cheeks are stained red as she stares down at her desk. The vice principal crumbles the sticky note, throwing it in the trash can and points at Jeongyeon and Momo.

 

“Yoo and Hirai.” He says in a strict tone until he suddenly smiles, shocking Jeongyeon and Momo. “Wish Jihyo a happy birthday for me.” He waves off as he left the class. Momo turns around to face Jeongyeon. 

 

“If it wasn’t Jihyo’s birthday tomorrow, we would have been stuck in the Guidance Office!” Momo joked and Jeongyeon started to laugh. The whole school knows of their situation. Everywhere they go, the girls are asked if they really live with eight people and if their mom was really as young as she looked. The school had offered ‘mental’ help for the eight girls as they were forced to come to the Guidance Office at least once a week, to talk about their feelings and struggles. Nayeon reluctantly agreed to the idea as she signed a permission slip saying that it was okay for the school to invade on her kids’ privacy— of course, Nayeon knows that they are smarter than that and won’t say anything too personal. Jeongyeon hated the whole idea as she was the kind to not talk about her feelings well and would always waste up the fifty-five minutes, talking about nonsense. Momo tries to cooperate but sometimes she would pretend that she didn’t understand most of the questions. Hearing this idea, Sana, Mina and Tzuyu also did the same and the Guidance Counsellor gave up on the foreign members. Meanwhile, Jihyo, Chaeyoung and Dahyun were very talkative. 

 

“Jihyo is so loud.” Chaeyoung complained with a smug smile and the counsellor groans. This is the same struggle Chaeyoung talks about every week. Jihyo was too loud that the counsellor could never understand her most of the time because her eardrums were about to burst. 

 

“How come the unnies never let me use anything in the kitchen?” Dahyun asked with curiosity and the counsellor shrugs her shoulder. 

 

“I don’t know Dahyun-ah, maybe you should ask yourself that.” The woman says, trying to get something out of Dahyun. 

 

“I am asking myself that and I’m asking how come the unnies never let me use anything in the kitchen!?” Dahyun shouts in frustration and the counsellor lets out a sigh as she signals for Dahyun to leave her office. She rubs her forehead as she leaned against her desk. 

 

“I really need a new job.” The woman says as Dahyun who had an ear against the Guidance Office’s door and pumped her fist in the air. Turns out Jihyo, Chaeyoung and Dahyun were also on the idea of ‘avoiding’ the guidance counsellor. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bell rings indicating that classes were over and JeongMo thought of an entire plan to distract Jihyo. Of course, they’ll need the help of their other sisters. They saw Mina, Sana and Dahyun approach them in the halls and Jeongyeon notices one person missing. 

 

“Where’s Jihyo?” She asked in a worried tone. Sana pouts her lips. 

 

“She said she wasn’t feeling well, so she’s walking home alone right now— “

 

“EH!?” Momo yelled out as she ran past the three to go find Jihyo. Sana and Mina look at Jeongyeon in confusion. Jeongyeon rubs the temples of her forehead in circles. 

 

“We need to distract Jihyo until dinner. Nayeon forgot again.” Jeongyeon says and two make an ‘o’ shape with their mouths. Dahyun frowns, disappointed at her mom. 

 

“I just thought she was planning a surprise party and she was keeping a really good secret from us.” Sana obliviously says and Mina raises an eyebrow at the girl.

 

“Sana, she would’ve told us if she was having a surprise party!” Mina scolded as she hits the girl’s shoulder and Dahyun gently rubs the pain away. Mina then looks over to Jeongyeon. “So, what’s the plan?” 

 

“JIHYO!!!” Momo ran in the cold. She was wearing her winter jacket, but she was still freezing even though she was sprinting, not only to mention her heavy schoolbag. She could see her breath as she exhaled. “JIHYO!” Momo called out as she stopped running when she saw a familiar figure wearing a similar jacket to Momo’s in the distance. The Japanese smiles in relief as she walks towards Jihyo, who turned around to face Momo.

 

“Unnie, what are you doing?” Jihyo softly asked, her voice faltering because of the sickness she has been getting. Momo had to lean her ear towards Jihyo to clearly hear her. This shocked Momo as it was the first time, Jihyo was so quiet. 

 

“Uh-uh” Momo pitied the girl of what herself and Jeongyeon were about to put her through. Honestly, Momo thinks Jihyo should rest but she must listen to Nayeon’s commands. “We have plans today! We’re going to go to the mall. Come on!” Momo grabs Jihyo’s, pulling her to the opposite direction of their house. Jihyo lets out a soft “okay” as she sniffles from her runny nose. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jihyo-ya? Is there anything else you want from unnies?” Jeongyeon asked as Jihyo shook her head, trying not to pass out from exhaustion. The cold was getting the best out of her as she felt her head pounding. Sana holds a skewer stick filled with fish cakes as Dahyun munches on a soft pretzel from the food court. Mina and Momo look at Jihyo in concern and Jeongyeon seemed to have noticed the different behaviour of Jihyo. The six walked around the mall, going to different stores and trying to get Jihyo involved as much as they could. 

 

“Look, Jihyo unnie!” Dahyun called out as she walked towards a store that had a huge plywood cut-out of two lobsters with holes that you could stick your face in. The five followed Dahyun as she kept running and pointing at the intriguing red lobsters. Sana holds Jihyo’s hand as she seemed to be having trouble keeping up on her own feet. Mina stares at Jihyo and whispers to Jeongyeon. 

 

“What time is it?” Mina asks in worried tone thinking that maybe it's best for Jihyo to go home. Jeongyeon checks her wristwatch and takes a sharp breath. 

 

“We still have two hours left…” Jeongyeon slowly looks at Mina, who is furrowing her eyebrows in frustration. A worker notices the pale girl excitedly running towards and bends down to the girl’s eye level. 

 

“Hello, would you like to take a picture?” The worker points at the cut-out and Dahyun takes Jihyo’s hand. Dahyun starts pouting her lips in hope that Jihyo will voluntarily join her since the cut-out was made for two people. The others look at her expectantly and Jihyo lets out a defeated sigh as she nods, agreeing to take the picture with Dahyun. The girl squeals as she pulls Jihyo behind the cut-out. Jeongyeon looks at the worker and notices something familiar about the woman. 

 

“Wait a minute… You look familiar.” Jeongyeon raises an eyebrow at the worker and the worker mirrors the same look. The other girls, except Dahyun and Jihyo, hear Jeongyeon’s statement as they all looked at the worker to match a name to the face. Dahyun asks Jihyo on what face they should make and the latter shrugs as Dahyun frowns again. Sana’s mouth slowly turns into an ‘o’ shape as she lets out a sound of realization. 

 

“She’s one of the girls that Chaeyoung used to hang out with!” Sana says and the others made an ‘ahhhh’ sound. The worker also does the same as she bowed to the girls. 

 

“Ahh, I can see why you all look so familiar now. My name is Eunseo.” The woman smiles and then the smile turns into a frown as the past memories of Chaeyoung coming into the market late at night flood into her head. “I’m deeply sorry about selling your valuables”, Momo shoots a kind smile at Eunseo. 

 

“It’s no problem. We understand.” The Japanese said in a sincere tone and Eunseo is shocked about how kind and humble these girls are. ‘Chaeyoung is in really good hands’. Eunseo grabs a Polaroid camera nearby and gets ready to take a picture of Dahyun and Jihyo in the lobster cut-out. 

 

“Ready, Jihyo?” Dahyun excitedly asks and Jihyo lowly murmurs a “yes” in response, wanting to get this over with. Eunseo counts down and everyone starts laughing at Dahyun who is touching her nose with her tongue. They’re amazed that Dahyun could do such a thing, while Jihyo kept a straight face as she closed her eyes. Eunseo takes a note about Jihyo’s facial expression and frowns as she presses the button to take the picture. 

 

“Is she okay?” She asked the person closest to her which was Sana, who let out a long sigh from hearing the question. Sana shakes her head as she notices Jihyo’s face has turned completely pale. Meanwhile, NaChaeTzu was on a journey getting the essential things for a birthday party. A gift, a birthday cake and party decorations. Simple, right? Apparently, it wasn’t simple for Nayeon. The worst part of this was that they were in the exact same mall that the other kids were in. 

 

“What do you mean there are no birthday cakes!?” Nayeon screams and her two youngest children wince at the loud noise. The worker behind the display of baked-treats, only stared with wide eyes, not knowing how to respond. 

 

The worker stuttered out, “T-the baker isn’t in t-today… “ 

 

“YOU DO REALIZE YOU WORK IN A GODDAMN BAKERY!?” Nayeon yells out and Tzuyu immediately covers Chaeyoung’s ears to prevent her from hearing Nayeon say the Lord’s name in vain. The worker silently nods, ashamed that he had to say such nonsense to a customer. 

 

“I hear the cafe ten minutes away from here, has really good cakes…” The worker quietly mumbles, fidgeting with the hat he took off. Nayeon’s mouth gapes as she realized which cafe the worker was talking about. ‘I was going to go their cafe but I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and try to get the cake in the mall…’. Nayeon stays quiet for a minute, trying to think of a plan. She still needed to get a gift and some party decorations. She then looks over at Tzuyu and Chaeyoung, and she smirks at the two when she had thought of an idea. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung were forced to walk out of the mall and walk in the freezing cold to go to GFriend’s cafe. Chaeyoung shivers as she complained. 

 

“How could she let her two youngest daughters walk out alone in the cold to go buy a cake!?” Tzuyu shrugs her shoulder as she linked her arm with Chaeyoung’s, hoping that they’ll stay warm like them. Tzuyu’s eyes widened as she realized something. 

 

“Did we get money?” Tzuyu slowly asks and Chaeyoung’s head snapped towards the girl. They both stopped walking and Chaeyoung quickly stuffs her hands into her pockets and is relieved when she feels the money through her mittens. Tzuyu lets out a sigh of relief and they continued to walk to the familiar cafe. The small cafe where they have many memories of and were always the only customers— had turned into a huge cafe where it was one of the most popular establishments in town. The two walked into the cafe where it was packed and the GFriend staff were completely busy, trying to take orders, that they didn’t notice the presence of the two girls. There was a full line and Chaeyoung frowns. 

 

“Now what?” She asked as she lets her hands fall on her hip. Tzuyu looks around and points at Eunha who had small empty plates in hand as she walked into the kitchen. The two look at each other as they nodded, they followed Eunha into the kitchen and saw her washing the dishes. 

 

“Unnie!” Tzuyu calls out, scaring Eunha as she drops the plate she was washing onto the tiled floor. Immediately out of instinct, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu both took a step back from the shattered glass and Eunha looks at them with wide eyes. 

 

“Don’t come near, kids!” She says with her hands out, telling them to not move one single inch. Umji hears the noise of glass breaking from the kitchen and excuses herself as she quickly walks towards the source of the sound. She opens the door to see Tzuyu and Chaeyoung holding onto each other and Eunha was cleaning up. She notices the two girls shaken up and places a hand on Chaeyoung, who was closest to her and attempted to comfort her. However, this ended up scaring the poor girl, making Tzuyu next to her, let out a squeal out of shock as the Taiwanese jumps up. Tzuyu feels something sharp dig into her foot and immediately lets out a scream of pain. Umji and Eunha start to panic as Tzuyu kept screaming. 

 

“It hurts!” Tzuyu wails out as the glass shard was stuck in her foot. Tzuyu lifts up her foot to show the two GFriend workers who started panicking.

 

“Oh my god— oh my god.” Umji mumbles out as she grabs her hair. “Nayeon is going to kill me!” She says in realization and Eunha gives her the “are you serious” look as she points at Tzuyu, who was struggling to stand on one foot. Chaeyoung watches in shock as she stares at the glass sticking out through Tzuyu’s shoe. Umji also points at Tzuyu as she starts talking to herself. 

 

“Okay… Think Umji.” The three look at her weirdly as a sudden thought appears in Tzuyu’s head. It might not be the worst time to ask this. 

 

“Uh… Unnies?” Eunha and Umji quickly look at her as she nervously chuckles. “Do you think we can have a cake for Jihyo’s birthday tomorrow?”, Tzuyu innocently asks and Umji’s eyes popped out at the sudden question. The kitchen door opens to reveal Sowon with an angry look on her face. 

 

“What’s going on!? Umji, the customers are— “, Sowon yells out but stops when she sees a piece of glass sticking out from under Tzuyu’s foot. Sowon looks blankly at Umji and then at Eunha… 

 

“Uh…” Eunha whispers, not knowing what to say about the current situation. Chaeyoung looks at Sowon with wide eyes, not wanting to interrupt the complete silence. 

 

“TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL YOU IDIOTS” Sowon screams at the top of her lungs, making Umji immediately picks Tzuyu up in bridal style and run out of the cafe with no jacket on. The customers look at the two weirdly as Umji sprints out, holding a little girl. Yerin, Yuju and Eunbi, who have no clue on the situation, give each other weird looks as they shrugged their shoulders. Sowon heaves heavily as Chaeyoung keeps her lips sealed, afraid that Sowon would yell again and Eunha continues to quietly clean up the mess that she created. Chaeyoung saw a vein popping out on Sowon’s forehead and she remains still in her spot, not wanting to step on any pieces of glass like Tzuyu did. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon was looking through the ‘Toys’ section. Getting gifts for the kids was like trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube, there were so many solutions to solving the cube, yet Nayeon still doesn’t how to solve the damn puzzle. She looks at a small toy piano and smiles to herself, picturing Jihyo playing on it. ’That wouldn’t be a bad gift’. Nayeon tilts her head in satisfaction, getting ready to carry the box that contained the toy piano into the cart— that was until she heard the familiar voices of her daughters and Nayeon booked it, leaving the cart with Jihyo’s gift and hid in one of the most random spots in the entire store. She decided to hide in the area where they had all of the bouncy balls— yes, Nayeon actually went inside the pit of balls and hid in there until her daughters were gone. One of the staff people found Nayeon stuck and had to apologize to a customer for not helping them because a full-grown woman was stuck in the ball pit. The embarrassed woman walks to the spot where her cart was and lets out a huge gasp when the cart was nowhere to be found, specifically Jihyo’s gift was gone. 

 

“You got be kidding me!” Nayeon mutters to herself as she rubbed the temples of her forehead. ‘So, this is what it feels like to be unprepared’, Nayeon hasn’t felt this way since high school. She ended up sitting down in the middle of the ‘Toy’ aisle, not even caring about the looks from other parents that were walking by. She buries her face in her hands, trying to maintain composure. “Think, Nayeon” She repeatedly mumbles with her eyes closed. She looks up from her hands to see one person holding the toy piano box in their hands, a man to be exact. Nayeon raises her eyebrows in shock as she gets up to sprint down the aisle and towards the person. As she gets closer, she starts noticing something familiar about the man. The man turns his head around towards the source of footsteps and immediately smiles when he sees the famous woman in town. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter