Mina's Eleventh Birthday (bonus chapter 2/9)

Im Nayeon and the Eight Kids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Mina is turning eleven. Jeongyeon, Momo, Jihyo are eleven years old. Sana is ten. Dahyun is nine, and Chaeyoung and Tzuyu are eight. Nayeon is twenty two. Sorry about the spelling and grammar hehe 

“Oh my gosh.” Nayeon rubs her temples as she sat on her desk in the employee’s room of the pet shop. It was exactly one month from Jihyo’s birthday and Nayeon just realized Mina’s birthday will be coming soon. She loves her kids but she hates the fact that there is at least a birthday every month. Nayeon’s bank account is going to go bankrupt by the time Jeongyeon turns fourteen. Three years ago, the mother also found out an interesting fact about Tzuyu’s foot. Luckily for the kids, they didn’t get punished but the GFriend staff was fairly punished in their cafe. She thought to herself, what would eleven-year-old Mina like? She has already noticed that Mina barely talks nowadays and is more quieter than usual. Maybe it’s just the puberty phase. She heard the door open and Jungkook pops his head in. 

 

“Hey, Nayeon!” He loudly shouts, earning a glare from his co-worker. He nervously chuckles to himself as he rubbed his neck. “I was going to ask if you want to help clean up your own kind’s cage but it looks like you’re busy.” He says in a sarcastic tone and Nayeon resists the urge throw her drink at him. Her own kind— Jungkook was referring to the rabbits since he said that Nayeon looked like one. She groans in her hands and Jungkook walks in the room. in front of her. 

 

“I’m having another birthday crisis.” She says in agony and Jungkook’s mouth turns into an “o” shape. 

 

“Mina’s birthday?” He asked and Nayeon simply nodded. For the past years, Jungkook has become a very close friend to Nayeon and the girls. She was thankful that her co-worker has been so caring to her and the kids— Jungkook was like her little brother. Jungkook takes a seat beside Nayeon. “Well, what do you need help with?” 

 

“What does Mina like nowadays? I mean ever since I gave the girls an iPad and iPods, it seems likes I don’t know them anymore.” Jungkook chuckles at Nayeon’s statement. 

 

“You know, not everything has to be a surprise. You can just simply ask for what she wants.” Nayeon nodded her head in agreement, the boy was right. Then, Jungkook shows her a slight smirk— the type of smirk that always mean trouble. “However, I do have a plan to get Mina out of the house for the time being!” Mina was a complete hermit who loved to stay home and play video games and Nayeon wants to give Mina something more meaningful other than video games. Nayeon looks over to Jungkook with a weird look as he brightly smiled. 

 

“Okay…” She hesitated. “I’m listening.” 

 

—— 

 

22 Days Before Mina’s Eleventh Birthday 

 

Nayeon trusting her kids with other people, made her feel very anxious. Of course she trusted all of her friends, but when they wanted to take their kid out to spend “precious” time with them, that’s when things go wrong. One time, Seolhyun said she wanted to take Jihyo to the fair and Nayeon agreed since it was a simple event. The two ended up coming back later at night with Jihyo having a black eye, Seolhyun holding a bag of stuffed animals and Nayeon passing out at the front door. It turns out when they were trying to knock down pins, Jihyo precisely hit the pin but the fair always having booths that loved to scour all of your money— the pin that was hot glued to its surface, never fell down and the ball bounced back right on Jihyo’s eye. Nayeon patiently waited for Jungkook to come. The boy, being the one who thought of everything, was the first one in their plan to hang out with Mina. What will happen is that for the next three weeks, Nayeon’s friends will spend time with Mina, trying to break the girl out of her shell. It turns out her friends secretly had a group chat and they have always been planning this. 

 

Nayeon was added to the chat ‘Mina’s Birth-month’ 

 

[Jungkook] 

ers! I’m going to get Mina right now!

[Lisa] 

be quiet boy

[JYP] 

I’ll bet she won’t even have fun with you. 

[Yuju] 

^^

[Umji] 

^^

[SinB] 

^^

[Yerin]

^^ 

[Eunha] 

^^ 

[Sowon]

^^

[Jungkook]

OKAY I GET IT YOU CAN STOP

[Seulgi] 

^^ 

god dammit you ruined it 

[Yeri] 

We’ll just keep going 

[Irene] 

^^

[Joy] 

^^

[Wendy] 

^^ 

[Seolhyun] 

^^ 

[Jisoo]

^^

[Nayeon] 

^^

[Jungkook]

SERIOUSLY NAYEON!? 

Read at 2:30pm

 

Nayeon laughed at her phone as she turned it off. That group chat can be very annoying. She looked over to Mina who was on the family iPad with earbuds in, she nudged Mina’s arm, earning a glare from her daughter. Yep, definitely the puberty phase. “Mina, please go get ready. Uncle Jungkook is coming.” Mina loudly groaned in annoyance— although it sounded more like a roar and Chaeyoung ran into the living room, holding her paintbrush.  

 

“I heard another lion in the house.” She innocently says with waring eyes, holding her paintbrush like a sword. Nayeon slaps her own forehead at the sight. Mina furrows her eyebrows at Chaeyoung and she went to her room to get ready. Idiots. But they were her idiots— sadly. 

 

“Chaeng, please don’t get paint on the carpet.” Nayeon strictly says and the girl nods in return. 

 

“I won’t! I’ve been very careful lately— “ Chaeyoung by accident flicks her paintbrush and freezes when she sees a long splatter of green paint on Nayeon’s red carpet. “Oh no.” She muttered before running off to her room and Nayeon chasing her. 

 

“YAHHH SON CHAEYOUNG!” She screamed out as she ran with her arms out. The two passed by Jeongyeon who rubbed her head. 

 

“Sometimes, I wonder whose the real kid in this house.” Jeongyeon muttered to herself as she watched Nayeon stand outside of DaChaeTzu’s room, constantly knocking on the door. 

 

“GET OUT OF THERE CHAEYOUNG!” 

 

“NEVER!” 

 

It felt weird to say this, but it was like Nayeon was her older sister. Jeongyeon shivers at the thought. She probably shouldn’t be thinking about that, the doorbell rings and Jeongyeon walks up to the door to open it. She opens the door to see Jungkook with a smile on his face. He must be very happy to hang out with Mina. To be honest, anyone would. Mina didn’t like to come out of the house anymore. 

 

“Hi uncle.” She simply greeted and the twenty-year-old does the same as he gave Jeongyeon a quick hug. 

 

“Where is my Minari? She didn’t escape into another dimension, right?” He worriedly says as he popped his head in the house to look around. He stops to look at Nayeon who is chasing Chaeyoung around the house. Huh, when did Chaeyoung get out of her room? Jeongyeon thought as she watched Chaeyoung being chased by Nayeon and Dahyun. 

 

“YOU TWO WOKE ME UP! CHAEYOUNG AND NAYEON!” Dahyun yelled out and froze when she said it. Nayeon makes a halt and her head snaps at Dahyun. 

 

“Did you say my name, Dahyun?” She asked in a threatening tone, this made Jungkook gulp his own saliva and Jeongyeon looks at him. Dahyun and Chaeyoung look at Nayeon with wide eyes, they know how much their mother hates being called her first name— especially since it became a habit that they adapted from Jeongyeon. 

 

“Oppa, please let me come with you today.” Jeongyeon begged, not wanting to be with a crazy Nayeon. He hurriedly shakes his head and walks inside the house. He runs to the “Same Aged Chingu’s” room and grabbed Mina who just walked outside her room. She yelped out in surprise as she was suddenly being carried by Jungkook out of their house. 

 

“I’LL BE BACK WITH MINA BEFORE SEVEN!” He yelled out before slamming the door on Jeongyeon’s face who watched the whole thing in shock. I seriously need to get out of the house. Maybe, the others— except for Dahyun and Chaeyoung, will join her as they escape the wrath of Im Nayeon. 

 

Jungkook panted out loud as he ran down the street with Mina in his arms. “Oppa, you can put me down now.” Mina whispers and Jungkook quickly stops and puts Mina down. 

 

“Aigoo. I must be getting older.” The twenty-year-old places his hands on his knees to catch his own breath. Mina weirdly looks at her oppa, not even letting the corner of tug. Jungkook shows a look of disappointment, he was hoping Mina would giggle at his joke. 

 

“Where are we going, oppa?” Mina asked as she heads onto Jungkook’s hand. The two walked into town and looked at the displays in the stores. Jungkook shows a fatherly smile to the ballerina. “Well, Mina. I know you like games so I’m taking you to the arcade!” He exclaimed and Mina nods her head in satisfaction. “Have you ever been to one?” He asked and Mina nods her head again. 

 

“Once.” Mina quietly says as the flashback of her in Texas when the orphanage surprised all of the kids and took them to an arcade. Mina had so much fun. Jungkook notices Mina’s quiet state and intends to break her shell before he brings her back to Nayeon. 

 

“We’re going to have so much fun, Mina! You won’t be disappointed!” He exclaims in assurance as he started to run down the street, dragging Mina with him. He heard Mina telling him to stop running, but of course he didn’t listen. They arrived at the arcade and Jungkook tells Mina about all of the games. “This game is the best game! It’s a fighter game and I know Nayeon might not like you playing it— but she’s not here right now!” Jungkook excitedly says in one breath and Mina thought he was rapping for one second. He continued to ramble about the games and eventually they started to play one of the fighter games Jungkook was talking about. He taught Mina what each button did and Mina nodded as she got used to the controls. 

 

“READY? FIGHT!” The machine played out and the game started to play as two animated players were shown on the screen. 

 

Jungkook shows a smug smile as he stared at the screen, slightly nudging Mina with his shoulder. “I’ll go easy on you, Minari—“ His mouth drops when Mina uses her character to do a special move on Jungkook, resulting in an immediate K.O. He looks over to Mina in shock. 

 

“Oops?” Mina teased out, showing her gummy smile. Jungkook immediately smiles seeing the little girl so happy, as he repeatedly hits her shoulder. 

 

“Yah! You totally knew how to play this game, didn’t you!?” He asked in disbelief, still having a smile plastered on his face and Mina shakes her head in denial.  

 

“I just pressed a bunch of buttons.” She simply said, looking back to the screen as Jungkook lets out a huff of frustration. This was going to be a long game. Meanwhile in the Im/Yoo/Hirai/Minatozaki/Park/Myoui/Kim/Son/Chou residence, Chaeyoung and Dahyun sat on the couch being scolded by Nayeon— not even noticing that Mina already left with Jungkook. Jeongyeon and the others were dressed to go out to the cafe to let their mom cool down. Since Sana had the best handwriting, she wrote down a note to leave on the kitchen table. 

 

‘Went to the cafe to get some fresh air. Mina already left with Jungkook, they’ll be back before seven. Don’t call the police if you see us missing. LOTS OF LOVE, YOUR AMAZING CHILDREN WHO WOULDN’T GET PAINT ON YOUR CARPET AND CALL YOU BY YOUR FIRST NAME.” And then in very tiny characters near the end of the note. “With the exception of Jeongyeon.” Momo snickers at Sana’s note and gave her a high-five. They left with the others as Nayeon still continued to talk, not hearing the sound of the front door being opened. Dahyun and Chaeyoung both heave a sigh and slumped down on the couch— this was going to take a while. Sana and Jihyo hold both of Tzuyu’s hand as they walked behind Momo and Jeongyeon. They both pick up Tzuyu, swinging her as they walked. 

 

“Again, unnie!” She cutely asked and they both squealed at their maknae. It was weird on how Chaeyoung and Tzuyu seemed to act younger as they got older. Jeongyeon and Momo quickly turned their heads to look at Tzuyu who looked like she was having the time of her life. 

 

“Aren’t you such a cutie? Aren’t you, Tzu-Tzu?” Momo cooed as she went to pick up Tzuyu— for an eight year old, the girl was still light as a feather. Tzuyu whined as she fought to get out of Momo’s arms. 

 

“You’re not strong enough to carry me the whole way.” The maknae savagely says. Ahh, our old Tzuyu is back. They all thought as they watched Momo and Tzuyu bicker, and continued to walk to the cafe. 

 

“Yes, I am!” Momo defended herself. Tzuyu smirks at her. 

 

“Okay.” Tzuyu simply says as she let herself collapse on Momo, making herself heavier. Momo quickly crouches down, trying to hold the weight of Tzuyu’s body. Jihyo shakes her head and flicks Momo’s forehead. 

 

“Put her down! You’re going to hurt her and she’s going to fall and crack her skull!” Jihyo scolded and Tzuyu quickly nodded as she saw her head was very close to the ground. 

 

“Yeah, unnie! I don’t want to go to the emergency room again!” Tzuyu says in fear, thinking back to the dish accident. She shivers as she thought of the feeling of the glass piercing through her foot. Momo slowly puts Tzuyu down, earning a sigh of relief from Sana, Jihyo and Jeongyeon. 

 

The oldest turns around and mutters to herself. “I should’ve went to the cafe by myself.” Meanwhile at the arcade with Mina and Jungkook, they were eating instant noodles and tteokbokki. They both laugh as they talked about how Mina defeated Jungkook in every game. 

 

“Nayeon wasn’t kidding when she said you were good at games!” He pointed at Mina with his toothpick and dug it into one of the rice cakes. Mina just nodded in appreciation of her skills and ate some ramen. “You know I heard that last game we played is very popular in Japan? Have you played it before?” Jungkook asked, wanting to know more about Mina’s home. The girl frowns and it doesn’t go unnoticed by the twenty-year-old. 

 

“I’ve never been to Japan…” Mina whispered in disappointment and Jungkook quickly covers his mouth in embarrassment. He totally forgot that Mina was born in America and then came here to Korea to be adopted by Nayeon. 

 

“Oh my god— I forgot! I’m sorry, Mina…” He apologized with sad eyes. The girl just looks down at her ramen and whispered that it was okay. Jungkook knew that it was a very sensitive topic for the kids when it came to talking about their past. However, he wants Mina to talk it out. “I hope it’s okay to ask Mina…” He slowly spoke but stopped when he saw Mina looking at her with eyes filled with sad emotions. He decided that maybe he’ll talk to Nayeon about this. “Uhh… Do you want to play that game again?” He asked, hoping Mina doesn’t notice his weird behaviour. Mina slowly nods as she pushed her chair back and walked to the machine— her mood completely changed from earlier. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“MY FAVOURITE KIDS!” Yerin shouted and SinB glares at Yerin for shouting in her ear. The girls arrived at the cafe and were surprised to see that there wasn’t other customers here. Umji who is collecting the money from the cashier also looks around as she smiled at the kids. 

 

“We had another accident.” She simply said and the kids shrugged their shoulders. It was now normal for things to go wrong at the cafe and Sowon wouldn’t go ballistic like the time when Eunha dropped the plate and— 

 

“Hey! We promised to never talk about that incident.” Eunha begged and Yerin raises her hands in defeat. 

 

“I’m not the author of this story. Don’t yell at me.” Yerin simply said as she went back to doing her business. Eunha glares at Yerin and SinB rubs her temples. Why do they always argue like this? Sowon walks out of the kitchen wearing green cleaning gloves.

 

“Aish, we’re glad that there was no one from the Health Department in our cafe. We would’ve been finished!” Sowon exclaimed in exhaustion as she threw her gloves onto the counter and Yuju drops at the dirty gloves on the shiny counter. 

 

“I just finished cleaning that!” Yuju yelled out as she huffed out in frustration. She picked up the gloves and went back to cleaning the counter. The little girls watched their unnies in amusement and Momo decided to ask what happened. 

 

“I’ll tell you what happened! Sana’s breed invaded our cafe!” Umji yelled out and the girls looked at her in confusion, especially Sana. 

 

“Isn’t she supposed to be the normal one?” Tzuyu whispered to Jihyo. 

 

“I have ears, Miss Chou!” Umji sends a piercing glare to Tzuyu who immediately shuts up. “I meant a squirrel was in our cafe.” 

 

“Ohhhhh.” The girls said in unison, meanwhile Sana pouted and crossed her arms.

 

“I’m not a squirrel!” She complained and puffed her chubby cheeks. 

 

“It’s kinda hard to say you’re not when you’re doing that.” Jeongyeon said with a grin as she pinched Sana’s cheek. The staff members smiled at the two and Sowon walks to stand in front of them. 

 

“Well, what do you guys want? A drink? Cake?” She asked and all of the kids went to smiling like angels. The GFriend staff looked at them weirdly. Sowon raises an eyebrow at Jeongyeon.

 

“We’re just here to escape the fiery wrath of Im Nayeon.” The oldest simply said and there was a pregnant pause. Sowon looks at her co-workers with a confused look and they all mirrored the same look. 

 

… 

 

“Well! I guess that’s okay. Stay as long as you like.” Sowon suddenly shouts in a cheery voice and the other co-workers nodded along.

 

“You’re always welcomed here!” Eunha says with an eye smile.

 

“Except for Sana.” Umji coughed out, feeling frustrated over the squirrel that was in their cafe. Yuju and Yerin punched Umji’s shoulder, earning a loud “ow!” from their youngest. Meanwhile, Jungkook still had a few hours to spare until he brought Mina back but he could already tell the night was ruined when Mina looked like she was walking with heavy shoulders. The two walked down the streets and the boy decided maybe Mina would like to go sightseeing. 

 

“Oppa, where are we going? My legs are getting tired.” Mina breathed out as the two walked up a trail leading to a hill. Jungkook ignored her but picked her up and placed her on his shoulders as they continued to walk up the trail. Jungkook whistled to a tune (A/N: D N A!) and Mina was getting interested to it. 

 

“Do you know this song, Mina?” He asked with a slight smirk and felt Mina shake her head, meaning that she didn’t. “Well of course, you don’t! I made it up!” Jungkook’s laugh echoed into the empty woods and Mina giggled at Jungkook’s silliness. The two arrived at the top of the hill and Mina awed at the sight. You could see the top of all of the small buildings and houses. It was like the whole city was made for ants— those were Mina’s exact thoughts. Jungkook looks proudly at Mina. “If it was darker, you could see all of the lights from the buildings.” He spoke in a soft voice and Mina nodded, keeping her eyes on the sight.

 

“Why did you bring me here?” She asked in curiosity and Jungkook sat down on the ground, placing his jacket beside him and he patted it, telling Mina to sit beside him. 

 

“Well, Mina... All of the adults had realized how you’ve been getting very quiet lately. Also, you always stay home and play video games!”

 

“I do not! I go out for dance and school.” Mina defended herself and Jungkook raised an eyebrow at the girl. “Okay... I see what you mean, oppa. It’s just that lately...” Jungkook looks at her in anticipation, he didn’t want Mina to feel like she was being forced to tell him. However, if the girl was going to tell him something, he might as well just listen to her. “I’ve been thinking a lot about home and not like the orphanage in Texas. Like where I was supposed to live in Japan with my real family...” Mina fiddled with Jungkook’s jacket sleeve that she was sitting on and the boy frowned at her. It must be hard for Mina to talk about this with other people, especially Nayeon and her sisters. The girl badly wants to talk about it but she’s adopted now. She already has a great family, so why worry about her past? 

 

“I understand, Mina... You’re getting older and you’re getting curious about Japan. If I were you, I would be thinking the same.” He says in a sincere tone. The two both looked at each other. “You may think this is a burden to talk about but if you talk about it now. In the future, you won’t hurt yourself. Trust me, Mina. If you even talk about this with one of your sisters, they’ll understand— you’re not the only one in the family with a rough past. Even your eomma has been through one.” Mina’s eyes widened at what Jungkook said. Nayeon didn’t like to talk about her past with the kids because she was afraid that it would emotionally affect them. How could she say that her parents— that the kids think are the best grandparents, weren’t always the nicest to their only daughter. Jungkook suddenly stands up and checks his phone for the time. 

 

“Are we leaving already?” Mina asked with a slight pout. She was already liking this place, it was so calm and for the first time she could think about her past without worrying. Jungkook shows a sad smile. 

 

“Sorry kiddo. If you ever feel down, just give uncle a call and I’ll take you here at night so you can see the whole city light up. How’s that?” Mina’s eyes filled with sparkles thinking about how it would look. The girl immediately nodded her head, already anticipating for the future. Jungkook chuckled as he helped Mina get up from the ground and the girl gave him his jacket. They walked down the trail, this time Mina and Jungkook held hands as they made sure not to trip on anything. 

 

“Thanks for today, oppa.” Mina quietly says. She was really thankful that Jungkook did all of this to cheer her up. The boy responded with a nod as he looked ahead the trail with a big smile. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Thank you, Jungkook.” Nayeon looks at Mina who is already yawning. The two must’ve had fun today. Jungkook smiles at the bunny-toothed girl. 

 

“It was my pleasure, Nayeon. Goodbye, Mina. I hope you have a good night. Remember what I told you before.” Jungkook winks at her and the girl does the same to him. Nayeon looks at the two in disbelief. They’re practically best friends now!— Nayeon is definitely not jealous of her co-worker. She holds back the glare she wants to give to Jungkook and Mina walks past her into the house. Jungkook shows an innocent smile and Nayeon growls at him. 

 

“What the heck, Jungkook! How did you do that!?” Nayeon asked and Jungkook places his index finger on his mouth, telling her to be quiet. He gently closes the front door and tells Nayeon to stand on the porch.

 

“First of all, I think I’m a child whisperer.” Jungkook says in an obvious tone and Nayeon rolls her eyes at the boy. “Second of all, I think I know why Mina has been acting like this the whole time.” Nayeon raises her eyebrows in shock and grabs Jungkook’s shoulders as she shook him.

 

“Tell me!” She yelled but immediately covered to quiet herself. She didn’t want the other kids to get curious of what was happening. 

 

“She wants to know about her real family. She wants to know where she came from and she never told me directly, but I think she wants to go to Japan!” Jungkook says in a soft tone and Nayeon froze. For the past three years that she had Mina, she never thought Mina would be so affected by thinking about her family. Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted when Jungkook flicks her head. “You idiot! This is your fault!” 

 

Nayeon drops in shock. “Me!? What did I do?”

 

“I thought you guys always had those family meetings and talked out your feelings but I guess not. Mina feels scared to talk about her past because I think everyone else in your family is scared as well!” Jungkook whispers in a stern tone and continued to talk as Nayeon dropped her head, ashamed. “Tell me, Nayeon. Has your kids ever told you how much they miss their old homes? How much they miss their families? Ever wondered why they were left alone?” Nayeon thought about it— no, they have never told her. 

 

“No...” She whispered and Jungkook lets out a long sigh. 

 

“I think that’s why Mina feels secluded. She thinks she’s the only whose feeling this but I bet your other kids are feeling the same.” Jungkook places a hand on Nayeon’s shoulder and the girl frowns at him. “Listen. Your kids are getting older and they’re already so smart. They’re going to start asking about everything in the future and you’ll have to tell them that there is no specific answer to those questions. You might as well start now with Mina.” Nayeon nodded, agreeing with the younger boy. They both let out a sigh and Nayeon felt him pat his shoulder. “I have to go... Please, just talk to her. Okay?” 

 

Nayeon nodded again. “Yeah. Thanks, Jungkook.” 

 

——

 

19 Days Before Mina’s Eleventh Birthday

 

Nayeon never talked with Mina, could it be fear? She doesn’t know but she knows that this is now affecting her. How is she going to approach Mina? 

 

“Oh hey, Mina. I heard you were feeling down about your home. Wanna talk about it with Mama Im?” She spoke to herself and covered her face. That was horrible. I hope I never say that to my kids or else they would feel more scared about confessing their feelings. Never had a thought about her kids’ past popped up in her head. Now, she was thinking about everything. How was Jeongyeon’s mom doing? Although her mom wrote a very nice letter, could she secretly hate Nayeon? Could Tzuyu’s dad also hate her? The woman never asked Jeongyeon if she had a dad. Oh my god. I really am a bad mother. She just hoped that the dance crew Momo belonged to, wasn’t looking for her and Dahyun. Or else, Nayeon was gonna have to go off the radar with eight kids. When it was just her, Jeongyeon and Sana. Sana would always say that she looked more like her father than her mom. Sadly, Sana stopped saying that after more kids came in the family. Nayeon never pushed Sana on the reason to why she was in the orphanage— especially in an orphanage in Korea. She never asked Jihyo the same. God, Nayeon really felt like a bad mother. Nayeon could definitely say that everyone in the family knew of Chaeyoung’s past, she was surprisingly very open about everything. One time, Nayeon forgot the keys and Chaeyoung told her to give her five minutes and the girl ran off to the side of their house. In five minutes, the door suddenly opens and Chaeyoung is revealed with dust all over her clothes. 

 

“How did you— “

 

“I used to do this with Yeoreum.” Chaeyoung says with a big smile and acted like it was nothing. Nayeon didn’t even want to know how Chaeyoung actually got in the house but she told herself that if it was normal for her child, it was normal for herself. However, Chaeyoung never said anything too personal after she confessed to everyone about her arrangement with Yeoreum. She heard her bedroom door open and saw Jeongyeon. They both give each other a small smile. 

 

“I finished cooking lunch. Are you okay?” Nayeon shook her head. The kids always knew when Nayeon felt down. Jeongyeon went to go sit beside Nayeon on their bed on her bed. “What’s wrong? Is it about Mina’s birthday?” Jeongyeon asked in concern and Nayeon sighed to herself. Might as well just ask… 

 

“Jeongyeon… Do you miss your mom?” She carefully asked her eldest who looked taken back from the question. 

 

Jeongyeon started to stutter. “W-well…” She paused thinking for a minute. Nayeon stared at her with waring eyes. “There are moments that I missed but I don’t regret being adopted you.” She truthfully says and Nayeon lets her shoulders slump down. “Is this what’s making you down?” Nayeon nodded in response. 

 

“When Jungkook hanged out with Mina the other day… Mina told him how much she misses her home— the home in Japan.” Jeongyeon whispers a soft “oh” under her breath. She knew that Mina has never been to Japan. 

 

“I’m assuming she has never told you?” Her eldest kid asked and Nayeon nodded at her. Jeongyeon pats her back. “I can talk with Mina and try to convince her to talk to you.” Jeongyeon stood up from the bed and Nayeon did the same. 

 

“Seriously!? You would do that?” Nayeon shouted and hugged Jeongyeon. 

 

“Yeah, I bet you’re freaking out over this.” Jeongyeon’s voice muffled through her mother’s sweater, she was still in the tight grasp of Nayeon. She felt the woman pepper kisses on the top of her head. 

 

“I love you so much, Yoo Jeongyeon!”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After lunch finished, it was only Jeongyeon, Mina, Momo, Sana and Jihyo in the house. Nayeon went to go drop off Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu off at Somi’s house for their playdate. Jeongyeon thought this was the perfect time to talk with Mina. She walked into the “Same Aged Chingu’s” room and smiled when she saw it was only Mina in the room. Sana and Jihyo must be in her room with Momo. Mina was playing on the iPad playing “Superstar”, this game that everyone was addictive to— that’s what Mina said. Jeongyeon taps her shoulder and gives an innocent smile when she by accident makes Mina lose her game. The ballerina glares at her and Jeongyeon nervously chuckles. 

 

“Aha… Sorry Minari.” 

 

“It’s okay.” The girl coldly says and Jeongyeon just couldn’t understand her sister sometimes. She was very bipolar nowadays. She wonders if Mina knows anything about puberty. 

 

“Can we talk?” Jeongyeon asked and Mina simply nodded, she moved over on the bunkbed for Jeongyeon to sit beside her. “Uhh… Well, I noticed that lately your mood has changed and I was wondering if something is bothering you?” 

 

Mina looks over to oldest sister and thought to herself. Maybe, I should listen to Jungkook-oppa and talk with Jeongyeon. “There is… But promise you won’t laugh…” Mina looks at her in assurance and Jeongyeon waves her hands. 

 

“What! I would never laugh at you, Mina. We’re trying to have a serious conversation and all you can think about is me laughing at you?” Jeongyeon asked in dumfounded tone, Mina looks down with her legs crossed, slightly embarrassed and Jeongyeon notices this. “Mina.” Jeongyeon whispers in a soft tone. “You know I’m here for you. We’re all here for you, even Nayeon.” Mina stares into her sister’s eyes and starts to tear up. Jeongyeon’s mouth slightly drops at the sight and immediately uses the sleeve of her long shirt to wipe away Mina’s tears. 

 

“It’s just that… I can’t stop thinking about where I really came from.” Jeongyeon slightly freezes at Mina’s word. Nayeon was really right about what Mina said to Jungkook. The tears slowly trickled down Mina’s cheeks and Jeongyeon kept wiping it off for the latter. 

 

“It’s not wrong to think about that. We all think about it… I guess we just don’t tell anybody.” The eldest says in realization, that maybe she has been thinking about her real mother ever since Nayeon brought it up. Jeongyeon thought of something that might help Mina feel like this topic isn't such a burden. “What do you want to know about your past?” She asked Mina who stopped sobbing. 

 

“I want to go visit where I was supposed to live.” Mina pulls out a slip of paper from underneath her pillow, Jeongyeon’s looked at the paper with wide eyes. Mina hands her the paper and she sees that the paper has an address in Japan. 

 

“Kobe? That’s where you’re supposed to live? Is this where you want to go visit?” Jeongyeon looks at Mina in assurance and the girl quickly nods. 

 

“It would be the best birthday present if we all went to Japan…” Mina whispered to her older sister and Jeongyeon felt her breath hitch. Mina wants to go to Japan— and she wants to go for her birthday. Meanwhile outside the room was three girls who were snooping in their conversation. Sana looks at Momo and Jihyo in shock. It looks like the plans for Mina’s birth-month have changed. 

 

——

 

17 Days Before Mina’s Eleventh Birthday

 

Jeongyeon told Nayeon exactly everything that Mina told her and now Nayeon was freaking out. 

 

“Japan!?” The two were pacing around Momo and Jeongyeon’s bedroom. Momo watched in concern at her mother who was currently having a panic attack in their room. “I don’t have the money! I’m going have to work every shift possible and loan money from the bank— “ Nayeon rambled to herself and Momo rolled her eyes. 

 

“Eomma, are you forgetting about your parents?” Momo offered and Jeongyeon nodded, saying that it was one of the best ideas Momo had thought of. Nayeon immediately shook her head in denial. 

 

“No- no- no. I will not ask them for help— especially not for money. I can do this, guys. Have faith in me!” She whined like a little kid and the two raised their hands in defeat. 

 

“Whatever you say.” They both said in unison. Today was GFriend’s day for them to take Mina out and Nayeon was hesitant on trusting Mina in their hands— very hesitant. 

 

Ding Dong 

 

“Knock knock knock knock. Knock on my door.” She heard Jihyo sing to herself as she went to go open the front door. Nayeon cocked an eyebrow at the singer of the family. She always wonders where her kids are hearing these songs from, she swears that she’s never heard of it on “Music Bank”. There stood Sowon and Yerin, holding a picnic basket in front of their driveway. Jihyo and Nayeon look at each other in confusion, it was March and they’re having a picnic in the middle of winter? 

 

“Hey, Jihyo!” Yerin yelled out in English and the girl did the same to the two staff members. Nayeon stood behind Jihyo and also waved at them. 

 

“You’re not going to have a picnic on my driveway, right?” Nayeon jokingly asked and Sowon scoffed. 

 

“Of course not! Now, bring us our elegant princess!” Sowon held the baguette like a sword and pretended to talk like a person in the medieval times. Nayeon called out for Mina and of course the shy girl immediately blushed when she saw Sowon and Yerin bowing at her. 

 

“Uhh unnie… Are we having a picnic in the middle of winter?” Mina asked in confusion and eyed the basket that was held by Yerin. The two staff members just laughed at Mina like she just said the funniest joke and NaHyo watched them from their front door as if they were crazy idiots. 

 

“Oh, Minari.” Yerin pretended to wipe a tear off her cheek. “You’ll see what this is for.” She crouches down to Mina. “Although I don’t know why Sowon-unnie has a baguette with her.” Yerin discreetly whispers in Mina’s ear but Sowon heard them. 

 

“Yah! You’re the one who told me to bring this!” Sowon angrily yelled and then uses the baguette— which is practically now a stone from the freezing cold and hits the top of Yerin’s head. 

 

“OW! Do you mind!? That thing fu— “ Yerin stops herself from cursing and looks over to Mina who is watching with an amused expression. “Wipe that smile off your face and get in the car, you little penguin.” Yerin mutters under her breath. Mina smiles at the two and happily skips to the car. Sowon and Yerin exchange glares and get in the car. Mina and Jihyo waited until the car left the property and Jihyo looked up at Nayeon. 

 

“Can I have some hot chocolate?” Jihyo asked with aegyo and Nayeon’s nose scrunched up. She playfully pouted in return. 

 

“I’m sorry, Jihyo. But if we want nine tickets to Japan. I’ll need to get ready to work all night.” Nayeon says in disappointment and Jihyo tilts her head, sad that she doesn’t get her hot chocolate. Then, an idea pops in her head. 

 

“How about you only get three tickets?” Jihyo asked with a devilish smile and Nayeon chuckles at her as she ruffled her hair. 

 

“And who would be getting those tickets?” Nayeon asks with a teasing look. 

 

“It’s easy. One ticket for you, one ticket for Mina and one ticket for me!” Jihyo points to herself and the two heard Jeongyeon s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter