eight

songbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hidden deep in the mountains, the heart of the earth could be found. However, it was only accessible to those who the gods deemed worthy as the pool found in it was a direct line to the heavens. For centuries, it was open to a group from the royal court that was dedicated to communicating and pleasing the gods. But as time went by, the group slowly decreased until only one position remained: the human annointed by the oldest deities, the Sun and Moon, themselves.

 

The oracle.

 

Son Seungwan stared hard and long at the shallow pool. If not for the reflection of her face, the pool could almost pass off as a sea of stars, as a mirror leading her to a different world. Although not completely a wrong idea, Seungwan knew the limitations of her communications with the gods. Despite their practices, superstitions, and the little knowledge they had, the deities were mysterious beings who often put themselves out of human affairs.

 

She hesitated on entering the pool. It was her only direct way to ask about her friend but she was afraid she would only be returned with a disapointingly vague vision that gave her no real clue on the state of her friend. It’s been months since Seulgi had departed and although Yoongi had told her that the affairs of the kingdom had greatly improved, she couldn’t stop worrying about the one who had sacrifices to make it happen.

 

Yet everytime she visited the pool, she ended up only staring at it. She never knew why; she only knew that she couldn’t bring herself to find out the answer to the one question that plagued her mind.

 

Turning away, she let out a heavy sigh before she covered her face with her hands. A strong wave of guilt overcame her. Maybe, if she had done the process a different way, Seulgi would still be with her. Maybe, if she hadn’t been so eager to take over the oracle responsibilities from her grandmother, she wouldn’t be in the position she was in now.

 

But despite all her thoughts, Seungwan knew deep down that no matter what decisions she made, no matter how differently everything could’ve been done, the end result would still be the same. Seulgi would still have been chosen as the songbird.

 

“It isn’t fair,” she finally cried out after a long period of silence. “It isn’t fair that she had to be chosen. Out of all the girls in the village, why did it have to be her? Why her? Why did you have to take away the only person who’s been there for me all my life? Why did you have to make me be alone?”

 

As she spoke, her knees gave in and she collapsed on the ground, sobbing profusely.

 

“All I want...all I want is to see her. To speak to her. To know how she’s doing. But I can’t even have that,” she whispered. “Please...please answer me. I’m begging you. Even if it’s just a moment… I need to see her.”

 

---

 

“For the last time Yerim, I said no!”

 

Lalisa turned to look at the younger and her stern gaze was met with a pleading one as Yeri used her infamous puppy eyes on her. Unfortunately for Yeri, Lalisa had dealed and lived with her long enough to become immune to it. It didn’t take long for Yeri to stop as she realized she was fighting a losing battle.

 

“Please Lalisa,” she pleaded as the two continued to walk down the hallway. “Let’s just take her to the market. That isn’t too far away from here. She won’t get caught or lost at all.” Yeri’s voice faltered for a moment as she stared at the ground. “I just… feel bad you know. She looks so sad locked up in here. And I know what the orders are but.. I just thought that maybe if we let her see our world and how beautiful it is, she might become a little more happy.”

 

Lalisa couldn’t help but be moved by Yeri’s words. Even to her, it was evident that Seulgi wasn’t at all happy being cooped up in the house. After all, she wasn’t supposed to be revealed to anyone before her official debut at the court. It didn’t help that when Taehyung and Jungkook visited, they closed off all the windows to the outside world. It seemed more like a prison then a home.

 

But despite her empathy for the poor human, Lalisa knew that she was already walking on a thin line as it is. Yeri wasn’t allowed to go out of the house either (for what reason, she had no idea) but she had allowed the younger to accompany her to the market from time to time. It didn’t help either that Lady Nayeon was fully aware of this and Lalisa was just waiting before she would finally get called out for it.

 

“I know Yerim,” she finally said w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter