two

songbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Long, long ago, the kingdom of Silla lived in discord. Misfortune plagued the land and the people. No one knows the exact reason why the gods allowed this to happen. Some say it’s because people forgot to pay respects. Others say that it’s because the heavens were just as chaotic. It came to the point where shamans and priests were desperate enough to sacrifice human lives. It was a terrible time.

The gods, no matter how selfish or chaotic, hated seeing lives lost to honor them. The Oracle, the eyes of the gods on earth, hated seeing it as well. So the two parties struck a deal: one life be sacrificed to serve the gods and they would bless the land once more. Through the Oracle, they found the life they wanted: a young maiden who was known throughout the kingdom for her beautiful and soothing voice.

It was rumored that the gods fell so in love with the young maiden’s voice that when her human body began to fail, they turned her into a bird that lived in the gardens of heaven. But, even if they tried to make the body immortal, a human’s spirit is destined to fade away for it cannot withstand time.

Upon the loss of this maiden, the heavens grieved. They grieved so much that they allowed the world to fall once more into chaos and destruction. The people were once again desperate to appease the gods. They begge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter