three

songbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With a gasp, Kang Seulgi’s eyes fluttered open. She was strangely out of breath and there was a feeling of nostalgia and sadness in her heart as if she wanted to go back to the dream. She couldn’t remember anything except the flash of a smile, silver hair, and two words.

“You’re welcome,” she whispered. The words floated against the mum silence of the night before disappearing into the wind. It brought chills to her with no definite reason. It seemed so distant and yet familiar, like a memory long forgotten brought back to life. 

She closed her eyes and hoped that she would remember what her dream was and why it made her feel the way she did. Who was the owner of that smile and brilliant silver hair? Was it his voice that rang throughout her head and his words that only seemed to appear in her dreams?

She rubbed her eyes as she sighed. It was probably just the worry getting to her. She already had a hard time falling asleep just thinking about Min Yoongi’s words. Hearing the possibility of becoming a songbird brought fear to any young girl. No one wanted to be taken away from their youth and prime just like that. It was like giving yourself to death. She glanced out the window and saw that the moon was still high in the sky. She quickly got out of bed and put on her robe as she, hoping to receive any comfort, approached her balcony.

On most nights, she was silent and only watched the night sky peacefully from her balcony. But for the first time in a long time, she thought to do something she hadn’t done since she was young. She sang to the stars.

“I hope with all my heart that I don’t forget,
The moments with my mother when I would get upset.
I hope I get to hear the lullaby
that she would sing when I would cry.”

Her voice cut through the heavy quietness of the night. The notes, soft and gentle, danced among the stars and moon. She sang as lulling as ever, her voice peaceful and healing to listen to. She sang the lullaby her grandmother would sing her to sleep with when she was younger. She always found comfort in its melody; the words always found their way to bring her back to the happy days of childhood when there were no worries and sadness.

She lifted her eyes up to the stars, enamored by their beauty. She remembered wishing to play with them when she was younger. The bright twinkling and brilliant hues of the night never failed to calm her down. She smiled brightly at the sky before heading back to her room, ready to fall asleep in peaceful slumber.

---

Son Seungwan stood outside the Kang mansion. Her face was stoic and emotionless, faithfully keeping the contents of her thoughts a secret. Despite her calm demeanor, she was a mess. She had always known that one day she would have perhaps the most important position in the kingdom. Being the direct contact with both humans and gods was going to a heavy job. Deep down, despite all her denial and positive thoughts, Seungwan was scared to be given such a responsibility. But with everything that was happening, she knew that she had to swallow all that fear and be brave for her people.

With the cold night breeze blowing against her porcelain skin, Seungwan decided that being brave could wait.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter