four

songbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The bright song of the roosters marked the waking of the sun, who never failed to be warm and bright despite the change in weather. Although most souls were still half-asleep, there was one who was already up and busy walking through the village. Autumnal mornings had always been a favorite of Kang Wonwoo. He enjoyed watching the transition of colors, the fading of the lively greens into brilliant warm hues. It was what he liked to call the “gray area” season; a time of change, stuck in between life and death. The most enchanting time of the year, he would like to think. All the people around him were always happy and busy celebrating, parting, and having festivals when it was autumn.

 

Except for this particular one.

 

The past days have been strikingly different from the autumns he had witnessed before. Ever since his aunt and uncles have announced that it was time to choose another songbird, the mood became somber. The announcement of the news had ruined the festive mood of the village. Who could blame them? They were facing the possible loss of a sister, daughter, lover, friend. If he had viewed the situation as an outsider, it would be kind of comedic. Mothers were busy trying to get their daughters married off to avoid becoming an eligible maiden. His own mother was one of them. She had already been obsessed with marrying off Seulgi to some wealthy official but had continuously failed. Now, she was completely desperate to have her only daughter married off. Wonwoo found it ironic how his mother often forgot that her children were just as stubborn as she was. But he knew that his mother was only doing what she had to do for her daughter. Despite him knowing that Seulgi didn’t want to marry just yet and that she wanted to live her life first before settling down, there was a part of him that wanted her to get married, just so that she would be exempted from the candidates of the songbird.

 

He let out a heavy sigh as he continued to walk. There were so many people he wanted to be exemped from the choosing of the songbird. He couldn’t bear the thought of never seeing them again. But there was one person in particular who he had to convince to try to become exempted, no matter what.

 

His walking came to an abrupt stop as a simple house came into sight. It was at the foot of the mountain, which was far, far away from the neighborhood Wonwoo lived in. In fact, the house was a complete contrast to anything Wonwoo was used to; it was plain, simple, and small, nothing quite of any importance or value to most people. But to Wonwoo, the house was home to one of the most valuable people to him. He continued to approach the house and upon doing so, finally found the girl he had been looking for.

 

Kim Sohye.

 

Undoubtedly, the most beautiful girl Kang Wonwoo had ever laid his eyes upon.

 

He watched as the girl, who was completely unaware of his arrival, continue to hang her laundry to dry. It was only when she turned to get another piece of clothing that she saw him. Wonwoo watched as her doll-like face lit up as she saw him. Her large eyes sparkled as the corners of her dainty lips lifted into a beaming grin. There was a slight pink blush that rested on her porcelain face that came from having to do such tedious labor early in the morning. She was a lively sight of spring in the middle of the warm, dying autumn.

 

“Lord Kang!” she cried out as she waved joyfully at him.

 

Her playful actions could only make the boy smile as he approached her. How could he ever imagine a life without seeing the brilliant smile of hers? He couldn’t even bear to imagine it.

 

“Miss Kim,” he said in a soft voice as he stood across her. There was only a fence that separated them from each other now. They looked at each other for a brief moment. A comfortable silence came, a silence that they were much well acquainted with when they were in each other’s presence.

 

“What brings you over so early in the morning?” Sohye asked as she invited him into her small yard.

 

“Well, if I were to talk with flowery language, I would say that the purpose of my visit was to patrol the area and make sure the citizens of the village are doing alright,” he said as he walked around. He looked up at the entrance of the trail leading to the top of the mountain. “Doesn’t being at the foot of this mountain make you feel anxious? Everyone else has been avoiding it ever since the announcement of choosing a songbird.”

 

Sohye continued to hang her laundry as she listened to Wonwoo speak. She let a moment of silence past before she replied to him. “I suppose that living at the foot of it all my life has made me immune to the feeling.”

 

He turned to her and started to walk towards her. “Doesn’t the possibility that you can become the songbird make you afraid, Miss Kim?”

 

Much to his surprise, she let out a small laugh and a smile before putting down her laundry and turned to face him. “Of course, I’m afraid. But if I were chosen, it would be the greatest honor that I, a lowly servant and member of society, could ever receive.”

 

Wonwoo clenched his teeth as he spoke. “So, you’re willing to never see all the people you care about, your family, your friends… You’re willing to never see them again?”

 

He could see a flash of hurt pass in her eyes and he knew he touched a sensitive topic. She turned away from him to avoid any eye contact. “Of course, not,” she spoke in a soft voice. “I… You don’t understand at all.”

 

Wonwoo quickly walked over to her and faced her. With a tone in his voice that made it seem like he was begging, he said, “Make me understand. I want to understand you, Miss Kim.”

 

“I come from a dishonored household. My father hates me because I’m a mistake. My mother is always sick and on the verge of death but we can never afford proper treatment. If I’m not chosen as the songbird, my father will marry me off to a wealthier man because he knows he can demand a big bride price that he will gamble away instead of helping my mother get better.” Her voice cracked and she turned her face away from him so he wouldn’t see the tears that escaped her usually bright eyes. “I don’t really have much of a future here, Lord Kang.”

 

“Then, marry me,” he replied. There was great conviction, determination, and stubbornness in his voice. Although he hadn’t expected for him to say it out loud in that manner, he knew with all his heart that those were the words he had always wanted to say to Kim Sohye.

 

Sohye turned quickly to look at him. The tears in her eyes were quickly replaced by surprise and shock. “Wha-what are you talking about?”

 

“Marry me, Sohye,” Wonwoo said firmly. He took a deep breath before uttering his next words. It was now or never. He had to let his intentions be known. “My affections for you have grown rapidly. Despite all the expectations laid against me and my status in society and yours, I could only ever imagine a future where you would be by my side. If I were to lose you… If you were chosen… I don’t know what I would do.”

 

Sohye stared at him but was rendered speechless by his words. The confession was so sudden and unexpected. There was a momentary silence that passed between them as his words sunk in.

 

“I don’t know what to say to you, Lord Kang,” Sohye replied, the tone in her voice unreadable.

 

“Say yes,” Wonwoo suggested desperately. “Please. Let’s get married right now if possible. You’d be exempted from being chosen; only unmarried s are eligible.”

 

Sohye, much to his surprise, laughed at him. Her eyes shone with joy and she beamed that brilliant smile he loved again at him. “I can’t say yes to getting married now. I’m sorry. This is all too sudden. I don’t think I can handle getting married just yet. But if I don’t get chosen, let’s see.”

 

“Do you mean...Is that a yes, Miss Kim?”

 

“Well, I quite like the sound of Lady Kang Sohye,” she teased. “What do you think?”
 

A wave of relief passed through Wonwoo as he broke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter