Pad Thai

Disco Queen

The next night Lisa and Chaeyoung were watching an entertainment news program while waiting for their favorite drama to air.

They didn’t really pay attention to the TV, instead they were talking while eating some fruits. A minute later Lisa got distracted when the host mentioned Sehun. She quickly turned her eyes to the screen.

They were talking about how Sehun lately has become a top choice to grace the cover of various magazines (including international ones).

“–so ugh hopefully the unnies will arrive soon with dinner I’m hungry”, said Chaeyoung who then noticed that Lisa wasn’t even listening to her. She looked at the TV then grinned.

“What a look on your face”, spoke Chaeyoung.

“Huh?” For a moment Lisa forgot that they were actually having a conversation before being distracted.

She smiled teasingly. “Nothiiiing~ You should check the mirror. You’re glowing.”

Lisa was dumbfounded. She quickly put both of her hands to her cheeks. “I what????”

Chaeyoung giggled. “It’s a good thing the unnies aren’t here, they’ll get you for sure!”

The maknae whined. “Aaaa Chaengie what do you meannnnn??”

She shrugged. “Why do I need to tell you? It’s something you should know by yourself.” Then she put a slice of apple in . “Oh our drama is about to start!”

Lisa frowned. Know by myself. Figure out by myself. Why do lately people keep telling me that?

She shrugged the thought away then tried to enjoy the drama.

---

Back in her room two hours later, Lisa was staring at the ceiling while clutching her Rapunzel plushie. Her mind drifted back to Sehun.

He asked for an upgrade. Whatever does that mean? She put both her hands up and made a rectangle shape. Should I box him in a category?

Friends. Close friends. Best friends. Acquaintance. Lisa thought he didn’t really match any of those except friends.

What is he? Maybe more than just a sunbaenim now? She looked at her Rapunzel plush fondly.  He even remembers my favorite Disney Princess. She hugged the plushie tightly. I’ve gotten to know him better in these past months. We even text each other every day now. Hmm what else…

Then she remembered the hurt she felt when Sehun ignored her for a few weeks. She frowned. That was a terrible feeling. Back then she felt… kind of empty. Aside of the hurt, there was a part of her missing him (though she would never admit that to him).

And what was that about anyway??? Jealousy. I’ve been ignored because he’s jealous that I had a free time to go shopping in Japan–WHAT A WEIRD SUNBAENIM. I can’t even be mad knowing that reason.

Her train of thoughts were disturbed by the sound of her mobile phone.

[Disco King: Lisa-ya, there’s this food program on SBS right now about Thailand’s cuisine. Watch it with me. I’m going to bug you with more food requests.]

She looked at it annoyedly then smiled. Lisa got up from her bed then passed the vanity mirror. She stopped abruptly.

Her reflection in the mirror was gazing back at her. She suddenly knew what Chaeyoung meant. Or at least she thought she did.

Her cheeks flushed red.

“No. No. No. No. Nooooo Lalisa.”

She paced inside her room while grabbing her hair. Then she looked into the mirror, shook her head then gave a really longgggggggg sigh.

Lisa knew which category Sehun would fit in.

---

Ten days later, Sehun heard a knock on his (aka the Disco room’s) door.

“Come in, Lisa-ya”, he said confidently.

“Annyeong haseyo~~!”, greeted Lisa as she came into the room. She looked fresh, wearing a black-white stripes long sleeved tee and ripped high waist dark denim.

He was sitting on the floor, cooling himself off from his practice. He had changed his wet t-shirt to a clean white one. “I still have 40 minutes left, are you going to use this room after me?”

She shook her head. “I came to give you this!” She scooted besides him then put a food container on the floor. “Early dinner time~.”

“For me???”, asked Sehun surprised.

She opened the two graded container and gave the upper one for him.

His eyes were wide. “This is…..”

“PAD THAI”, she grinned.

“Really???”, he gasped then looked at her accusingly. “Did you just bought this at a Thai restaurant??”

She laughed then faked a sad face. “I’m hurt. After all the hard work I’ve put into this dish…”

He chuckled but then went silent as he saw her left thumb and both index fingers wrapped in a band aid each.

Did she cut herself while cooking this for me?

Lisa gave him the chopsticks. “See I didn’t forget it this time.”

He gave her a genuine smile then patted her head. “Smart girl.”

She gave him the I-am-not-your-dog-excuse-you glare.

Sehun looked at the Pad Thai appreciatively before saying, “Ah wait! I have to take a picture of this.”

She rolled her eyes in response. “You’re overreacting. It’s just food.” Why is he so weird….. And cute.

“That you make once in a blue moon! Who knows when I’ll ever eat this again”, he replied passionately.

“You can always go to a Thai restaurant and get one”, teased Lisa.

He gave her the stinky eyes then put his mobile phone down.

“Jal meokkesseumnida!”, spoke Sehun who was already eager to try Lisa’s homemade Pad Thai.

Meanwhile, she was also ready to eat her smaller portion of the Pad Thai in the bottom container. “If the taste is bad, don’t blame me. You’re the one who wanted this, oppa.” I had to consult with my mom and dad to get this right.

He nodded while tasting the noodle. “It’s not bad, Lisa-ya. It’s rather good.” He put down the food then clapped his hands. “Your cooking skill has improved.”

She beamed. “Really?” Then it was her turn to give him an accusing look. “Are you just saying that so I won’t feel bad?”

He chuckled. “Now why would I do that?”

A minute later he asked, “By the way, what’s the occasion, Lisa-ya?”

She blinked innocently. “For?”

“This. Pad Thai.”

She looked at him with an expression that was foreign for Sehun, as if there was a secret hidden behind her eyes. Her unreadable expression made him remember her words around a month ago.

Wait until you become special.

He choked while eating a shrimp. She immediately patted his back and gave him the bottle of mineral water.

“Are you okay? Geez, eat slowly, Sehun oppa.”

He drank the water then nodded. “Ahh thanks.”  Well that was embarrassing.

Then his brain just registered what he heard.

“WAIT. Did you just call me ‘oppa’????”

Her big eyes blinked a few times before a teasing smile formed on her lips, but her cheeks went pink.

He found it hard to breath.

“Just eat well, Sehun oppa.”

He froze. The word ‘special’ went on repeatedly inside his head.

Special. Special. Special. Special. Special. Special. SPECIAL. SPE. CIAL.

His mind went blank for a moment.

Sehun cleared his throat.

“Ya Lisa-yaya, what if I say you can’t look at other guys from today onwards?”

Lisa was drinking and it was her turn to almost choke.

“W-what??” For a moment it felt like her heart had stopped.

“You heard me.” His voice sounded challenging and embarrassed at the same time.

They glanced at each other, not daring to stare straight into the eyes. Both of their cheeks were red.

“That’s kinda hard because I have eyes and do I have to close it everytime I see your species–which populate around 50% of the world by the way”, she replied after half a minute of silence.

He rolled his eyes.

“But…” She continued to eat her Pad Thai as if nothing weird had happened between them. “Okay. I’ll try. No promises though.”

WHAT OMG DID SHE JUST SAY OKAY.

“You’re so cute can I hug you.”

“Ugh NO.”

He laughed. Did we just have an agreement and why does she continue to amuse me?

She shook her head. What have I gotten myself into with this weird oppa??

“I just made one Pad Thai and he’s already posessive over me”, grumbled Lisa in a low voice but heard by Sehun who responded with a laugh.

She moved a bit further away from him.

“Ya! Why are you moving away from me??” Then he scratched his head. “This feels like dejavu.”

“It’s an automatic reaction.”

“What? If you’re going to say that reaction is because Yoona noona might walk in…”

The door suddenly opened, making both of them jumped.

“Oh. Sorry, I thought you were already done here, Sehun-ssi. Lisa-ssi, WHAT A SURPRISE to see you here”, said Yoona who did look purely surprised but her eyes twinkled mischievously.

“Unnie!”

“Noona!”

Yoona laughed apologetically. “I was just checking each of the rooms because I have a potential VIP client whom I’ll give a tour of Class Zero.”

“Oh, sorry noona. I didn’t realized that my time was up already.” Sehun frowned while looking at his wrist watch.

She waved dismissively at him. “No worries. Time flies by when you’re having fun. I’ll give you guys another free thirty minutes.”

“Really?? Thanks noona!”

“Thanks unnie!”

She smiled. “Just don’t forget to clean up the room when you’re done with your date. Have a nice evening you two.”

They were too stunned to give a reply when the door closed before their eyes.

“…….”

They both eyed each other shyly (and awkwardly).

“See she misunderstood us againnnn.”

“Excuse me? Not my fault.”

Lisa moved further away again from him.

“Ya! I swear if you move again…”

“You’re going to do what?”

She was thinking to stand up and run. Little did she know that he was prepared to chase her.

“We’ll see about that”, he finally said with a nonchalant attitude while shrugging.

She moved away a bit.

“YA THIS GIRL!”

Lisa just gave him her sweetest smile before laughing freely.

I’m dead.

He wondered how many times his heart can take the affect of her smile and laughter.

He sighed.

Stupid heart.

The days ahead of them seemed exciting.

--

“One day my heart is going to explode and it’s going to be your fault.” - Sehun to Lisa

“One day, you have to stop blaming me for everything, oppa. You can blame it on Vivi instead.” - Lisa to Sehun