Harmonious Tension

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

02. Harmonious Tension

Mark smiled as he got into his car. Mark hugged the steering wheel before he started the car.

He didn't need to get a lift from Taeyong and Seulgi anymore and Mark was happy with that. Mark saw that Taeyong and Seulgi had left already. Mark hadn't feel this relaxed when he was in their car.

As Mark drove to work, he remembered the time where he returned to Korea.

-- 5 years ago --

Mark stepped out of the arrival hall and smiled widely as he saw his parents waiting for him. Pulling his luggage along, Mark ran to his parents before hugging them.

"You've grown again! And this time, you're taller than your father!" Jessica said excitedly and Donghae quickly retorted.

"It's just his hair, Jess." Donghae laughed but Jessica shook his head. 

"It's good to see you again." Mark said to his parents who ruffled his hair. Mark looked around before asking, "Where Taeyong?"

Jessica and Donghae quickly exchanged glances. "He's at work now." Jessica said.

"Ah, of course." Mark said as he tried his best to hide his disappointment. "Come Minhyung, we're going home. You're probably having jetlag." Donghae said fondly as they walked to the carpark.

"I'm good this time! I've been flying back from America to Korea so many times that I've gotten used to it!" Mark said excitedly and his parents laugh.

"You do know you're not going back anymore in the near future, yes?" Jessica said and Mark nodded, his smile fading slightly but he smiled widely again.

"That's fine! Time to get acquainted with my Korean roots." Mark said.

"And the company." Donghae said as he started driving.

"And Taeyong." Jessica added and Mark nodded slowly. Soon, they were entering their house and Mark wouldn't stop touching every single time.

"It has been so long since I was here." Mark said as Donghae helped his luggage up and Jessica followed Donghae and Mark up.

"We've left your room untouched." Jessica said as they entered his room. Mark threw himself on the bed and smile. "Still feels like home." Mark said before he sat up to face his parents.

"Oh, Father, Mother." Mark said and Donghae and Jessica looked to their younger son. "Why did you need me to come back to Korea so quickly?"

Donghae and Jessica exchanged glances, causing Mark to raise an eyebrow. "Well..." Jessica started.

"Taeyong's getting married."

"Oh Taeyong's getting married-WAIT, MARRIED?" Mark repeated but he got a surprise as he finally realised what they were saying. "But, I've never heard anything about my brother dating or having a girlfriend on the news or from you guys?"

"It's an arranged marriage, son."

"What?!" Mark got off his bed, "WHAT?!" Mark said it loud and put his hands on his head, as if Taeyong's arranged marriage was the most mindblowing incident of the century.

"OH MY GOD." Mark exclaimed in English. Donghae and Jessica had to force themselves stifle their laugh at Mark's exaggeration. Mark was slightly speechless as he gaped.

"Doesn't that only happen in dramas? Who does that these days?" Mark asked and continued, "Even American drama doesn't even have this anymore!"

Donghae folded his arms. "Mark, it is our family tradition." Donghae said and Mark was in a state of shock once again.

"Family. Tradition. Wait, so you and Mum-"

"Yes." Jessica said with a firm nod. Jessica and Donghae could see the confusion on Mark's face.

"OH MY GOD!" Mark said. "So, my grandmother and grandfather too?!" Mark said to his parents and they nodded back.

"We can't just let anyone marry into the family, Mark." Donghae explained. "Well, I don't think Taeyong was ever interested in getting marriage." Mark said as he spoke for his brother.

"We have to pass on the family name, Minhyung." Jessica continued and Donghae nodded. "In my 21 years of existence, I never heard of this family tradition at all!" Mark said, still shocked and mindblown.

"How could two people who don't love each other get married?" Mark asked. "Well, I love your mother." Donghae said and Jessica smiled at him. Mark forced himself not to gag at his parents' cheesiness.

"Besides, in the past, people did not get married because of love." Jessica stated.

"But we're in the 21st Century!" Mark continued.

"Taeyong agreed to it. Besides, his bride is really attractive, sweet and perfect for him." Jessica said. "She actually agreed to the marriage." Mark said and his parents nodded. "It wasn't easy finding such a bride for Taeyong."

"We'll leave you to digest everything and unpack. We'll see you for dinner." Donghae said as he and Jessica excused themselves. Mark slapped his forehead as soon as the door was closed. "Taeyong actually agreed to it."

Less than a month, here they were, at the hotel, getting ready for the solemnisation.

"Taeyong, are you sure, you're going to do this?" Mark asked his brother who was beside him in the car. Taeyong looked at Mark before nodding. They were well dressed, especially Taeyong, since it was his wedding. "I have to do this."

As the car pulled up in front of the hotel, Mark and Taeyong could see reporters swarming around Jessica and Donghae who reached earlier than their sons. Mark gaped. 

"Driver, carpark, please." Taeyong said and the driver did as instructed. 

"Why are there so many people and even reporters?" Mark asked but Taeyong didn't give a reply. Mark said. Even though Taeyong was his own brother, there was a tension that existed between them.

'Was I away from Korea for this long?' Mark thought. 'Was the family's history and fame much bigger than I thought?' Mark thought again.

"Let's go, quickly." Taeyong said as he got off the car. Mark quickly followed suit and they boarded the lift. Taeyong and Mark walked quickly before sliding into a room.

Mark almost gasped when he entered the room. There, by the window, was Seulgi in her wedding dress. Even though Mark had seen his future sister-in-law once, he was shcoked at how stunning Seulgi looked, especially in her wedding look. Mark stole a glance to his brother, who also seemed mesmerised by Seulgi.

As soon as Taeyong and Mark came in, Seulgi turned her attention to them, her face fully focused on Taeyong. Taeyong bowed to Seulgi and Seulgi did the same, sitting down. Taeyong and Mark greeted their in-laws with smiles and bows, who greeted them back. Seulgi's father and mother gave Seulgi hugs before they walked to Taeyong.

"She's in your hands. We're entrusting her to you." Seulgi's father said and patted his back before leaving with his wife.

Seulgi stood up as she watched her parents leave. "It'll be over soon." Taeyong said as he reached for Seulgi's hand, slightly awkwardly. He leaned in and whispered into her ear and Seulgi nodded with a knowing look.

"Just like how we rehearsed." Taeyong said out and Seulgi nodded. They looked into each others eye for a good minute and this prompted Mark to give the couple some space. 

"I'll leave you two alone." Mark said and excused himself and went to the next holding room. Unfortunately, the walls between the room were thin.

Mark cringed slightly as he heard Taeyong telling Seulgi how great she looked. Mark immediately stopped leaning on the wall.

Soon, everyone took their place at the wedding hall, including reporters, journalists and the cameras. Mark raised his eyebrow and was surprised that they were allowed admission.

Mark didn't have anytime to bombard his parents with question as the ceremony had begun. Taeyong was already at the front and Seulgi was walking in with her father down the aisle. Seulgi's head was inclined down slightly and she looked up only when she was infront of Taeyong. 

Gasps could be heard as many were seeing Seulgi for the first time. Taeyong tried his best to be as natural while hiding his nervousness. As Seulgi's father reached the end of the aisle he handed Seulgi to him. Taeyong took Seulgi's hand gently and gave her a reassuring smile.

Mark could see the slight tenderness between them and it oddly warmed his heart. As the ceremony went on, Mark could see how delicate Taeyong was with Seulgi, especially when he donned the ring for her. 'Maybe the tradition isn't so bad after all.'

As the ceremony was coming to a close, it was time when the Priest announced, "You may kiss." Mark's eyes widened. 'THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO THAT?!'

Mark looked around and saw the cameras snapping away furiously and everyone focusing their attention on Seulgi and Taeyong. Jessica and Donghae weren't stopping anything and in fact, they look pleased.

Seulgi and Taeyong turned to each other and Mark could tell Seulgi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter