You Are Not Alone

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12. You Are Not Alone

"Only one love
With 2 different languages, we can still know each other
True love, the promise between us
I want you to keep it
I hope you'll make it, I wish I could

You are not alone, would you be there?
because I will run to you, who has become my strength.
I remember that you were there, I just want to cry.
I could not stand it.
I'll be on your side now and I'll be the light.
I'll always be your strength. I'll be your light."
('You Are Not Alone' from 'Time From Us', by GFRIEND)

Taeyong sat by Seulgi’s side as he fixed his gaze on her, waiting for her to wake up. Taeyong gently took her hand and clasped it gently between his hands, recounting the details leading up to this very moment.

“Thankfully she didn’t suffer a miscarriage, although she was terribly stressed out and overwhelmed but she is a strong woman.” The lady doctor offered with a smile. 

Taeyong felt a huge burden being taken off his chest as he heard the doctor’s analysis. It felt so foreign yet something he’d never experienced before. Even the success of one of his greatest company projects or his achievements couldn't measure up to how he felt at that moment. Mark and Herin resumed breathing and hugged each other. Mark gave Taeyong patted on his back and Taeyong felt comforted.

He brought her hand to his cheek and felt the warmth of her hand, the steady pulse around her wrist, beating for two lives. He subconsciously interlaced his fingers into hers. He couldn’t take his eyes of her, as cheesy as it was. A huge part of him retched internally at how he was behaving but this sense of liberation continued.

Taeyong almost jumped as Seulgi’s eyelids fluttered open, her eyes adjusting to the sunlight filtering through the window. She looked at Taeyong and suddenly it dawned on her that he had been by her side the entire time.

“Did you sleep?” Seulgi turned to him and blinked groggily and Taeyong was taken aback that this was her first response. Nevertheless he replied accordingly, shaking his head slowly before speaking, “How could I sleep with you unconscious after the intense night.”

“You held on to our child. Thank you, Seulgi” Taeyong said as he tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. Seulgi was increasingly aware of this tenderness he had and the warmth that was radiating from his hand.

Before Seulgi could say another word, Taeyong earnestly spoke, “Once again, I’m sorry for the past 4, 5 years. This apology alone isn’t going to make the cut anytime soon, but, let this be the start of us resolving and setting aside our differences and tension for this family’s sake.”

Seulgi blinked multiple times, not realising the tear sliding down her eye. Taeyong stood up from his chair and leaned in and Seulgi wrapped her arms around him. Maybe it is the hormones messing with her, Or the IV drip she was attached to, but it felt right to her. He felt her head nodding against his body.

“I’m not going to be the perfect husband overnight but I’m going to keep trying.” Taeyong pulled back and pecked her forehead. “Thank you...” She followed his figure as he sat back down. 

“So...when did you conceive?” Taeyong asked awkwardly yet genuinely and Seulgi laughed out heartily. She knew he would probably have overreacted and get angry but seeing him subsconsciously crack a smile in embarrassment made her hopeful.

“The most obvious date was the night of the ball...”Seulgi shared honestly and Taeyong tried to hide his smile under his hand. “After so many years of trying and that one time we had no intention of conceiving and we hit the bullseye.” He replied and Seulgi shrugged.

“You were so that night,” Seulgi said honestly and saw a tinge of red gracing his face before she continued, “and I happened to be ovulating which makes me so I guess, in combination it was the perfect serum for baby-making.” Taeyong noticed how sassy, candid and informal Seulgi and even found her expression very quirky and interesting. He laughed and looked at her.

“It’s finally showing a little. Just a little” Seulgi looked down as she cradled her abdomen. “I can barely even tell...” Taeyong said. "Yeah, sometimes I think my eyes are still playing with me." Seulgi replied.

“How did we get here?” Seulgi continued another small talk.

“Mark and Herin helped us get here. They’ve left as Mark will be reporting on our behalf. Herin will be tending to our family matters of announcing the pregnancy.”

“Our behalf? Taeyong, why aren’t you going to work. You don’t skip any work day.” Seulg straightened and grabbed Taeyong’s hand. “Seulgi, you’re right here and I chose to stay here.” Taeyong replied firmly holding her hand, also touched by the concern in her eyes. “Relax, I will be doing work. Just right beside you, something I should have done since the beginning.”

—————

Herin alighted the company elevator and saw Mark’s dashing face dashing past her to Donghae’s office. He had bunches of papers in his hand and Herin trailed behind heading to the same venue. By the time Herin was knocking at Donghae’s door, Mark was already in front of Donghae, getting his signatures for his documents.

Donghae looked up, smiled and ushered Herin in. Mark turned around to see his wife handing a document to him to see. Mark looked quizzically and Donghae nodded with a smile as Donghae reached out for the document in her hand.

“Your writing is very good, please submit this piece to the press.” Donghae gave an approving smile and Herin smiled and received the report before resuming signing the reports Mark handed to him. “I can’t believe Seulgi is expecting!” Donghae excaimed ecstatically and Mark and Herin exchanged glasses before agreeing with Donghae.

Mark stole a peek and remembered she’d been tasked to write the happy announcement for the press. Herin bowed and took her leave and Mark’s eyes trailed her figure.

He was pleasantly surprised to find Herin waiting outside for him. As soon as the door was securely shut, Herin leaned in for a kiss. “I’ll walk you to your office. You seem really busy that you didn’t see me at the lift lobby.”

Mark scratch the back of his head sheepishly. “I’ve never been this busy at the company before.” Mark explained and took his hand into hers. “You got this, baby.”

Mark stopped walking, shocked at the nickname Herin called him. Herin gave winked before tugging him along back to his ofice. “I’ll be back late today. Go on and sleep first.” Mark replied and Herin gave a nod. “I’m going to go publish this to the press now.” Herin said and ran along.

‘Mark wasn’t kidding when he said his was going to be back much later than usual’ Herin thought as she sat in bed with her laptop, continuing with her incomplete projects and occasionally reviewing the article she sent to the press.

She jumped up when Mark entered their room around 1 in the morning. Mark immediately slumped onto their carpeted floor. Herin blinked in shocked and rubbed her eyes.

“I’M. SO. TIRED. HOW. DOES. TAEYONG. AND. SEULGI. DO. IT!” Mark paused after every word and Herin got up to offer him a glass of water. Herin sat on the floor and massaged Mark’s shoulders, noticing how tense his shoulders was. Mark’s head found its way to her lap and Herin chuckled.

"You did great today, Mark. I'm proud of you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter