Chapter 7

I Hate That I Don't Hate You

 

Despite showing way more confidence when around the younger boy, Jimin still got flustered every time Jungkook looked at him. Not to mention the minor cardiac arrest he would have every time Jungkook waved at him. But they never talked. They kept their distance, not exchanging more than just a greeting, much to Taehyung’s dismay. Anytime he caught one of them staring at the other, he wanted to bang his head against the nearest wall or table because they were just so whipped.

Taehyung thought he’d take matters into his own hands.

“So, here’s the plan.” Taehyung put a few papers stapled together in the middle of the table and the three other boys immediately leaned forward to stare at it.

“...what is this?” Seokjin grabbed the paper and began flipping through the pages. “Are these room numbers?” Hoseok took the packet and looked some of them over, a mischievous grin spreading onto his face.

“They’re hotel rooms.” Taehyung nodded, his grin mirroring Hoseok’s as they met eyes.

“What do you need hotel room numbers for?” Namjoon rested his head in his hand, giving Taehyung a concerned look. “What is this plan even for?”

“I need you to pull some techy and change some rooms up.”

“Clarify.”

“Okay so,” Taehyung leaned forward, giving them all secretive glances before gesturing for them all to lean closer into the small round table. “We need to help our stubborn lovesick friends. Jungkook and Jimin haven’t said more than a word to each other for almost three months. There’s a big game in Incheon in a few weeks on the last week of March and the band, cheerleaders, and the football team are going to stay in a hotel together. There’s an odd number in the band and the football team but an even number of the cheerleaders. They try to make the rooms two boys or two girls because, you know, heteros.” Hoseok, understanding where Taehyung was headed, continued for him.

“For some reason, they split me and Jimin up into different rooms.” He said with an incredulous expression as he studied the papers. “Jimin’s rooming with Taehyung and I’m rooming with some random jock I’d really rather not have to spend two nights in a room with.”

“But if Namjoon-hyung could maybe go to the coach’s computer before he finishes everything up and gives everyone their room numbers, he could change it so that Hoseok and I are sharing a room and Jimin is sharing a room with Jungkook.” Taehyung spread his hands on the table like a villain showing off his master plan. “Then they’ll be forced to have at least some type of conversation. Hopefully.”

“What do you need me for then?” Seokjin crossed his arms and frowned at Taehyung.

“Well,” Taehyung smirked. “Who else than our resident drama boy to help distract the coach while we get Namjoon-hyung to his computer?” Seokjin scowled, trying to hide the smile threatening to break out on his face. He looked away from Taehyung’s impish grin only to catch Namjoon giving him a small smile.

“Kim Taehyung, you are one hell of a lunatic.” Seokjin had no malice in his voice, the four boys’ eyes glinting under the fluorescent light of the small room.

 


Seokjin knocked lightly on the half-opened door to the office, smiling and bowing politely when Coach Lee looked up from his desk.

“Seokjin! Come in, come in.” He gestured for Seokjin to step inside. “What brings you here this late in the day?”

“Hello sir! I was actually wondering if you could help me out with something.” Seokjin scratched the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Sure, what do you need? Some workout tips? Finally taking my advice and joining the football team?” Lee chuckled when Seokjin quickly shook his head.

“I think it’s a little too late for me to join the team, sir.” He smiled lightly. “I actually was wondering if you could help me move some stuff from the drama room to the auditorium? We need to set up some stuff for the upcoming performance and the visual arts team all bailed.”

“Oh! Of course, I don’t have any classes for this period, I’ll have to leave you once next period starts though.”

“That’s fine! Thank you, sir.” Seokjin bowed quickly. Lee stood and walked to the door, Patting Seokjin’s shoulder as he walked past him. Seokjin followed behind him, smiling smugly at the back of his head. Once Seokjin and Coach Lee disappeared around a corner, Taehyung and Hoseok gave each other quiet high fives.

“I can’t believe that worked.” Namjoon looked mystified in the direction Seokjin and Lee went and shook his head.

“Of course it worked,” Taehyung mimed flipping back long hair. “It was my genius plan, after all.”

“That’s why I’m surprised it worked.” Hoseok laughed at that and gave Namjoon a pat.

“Whatever.” Taehyung tried to suppress his smile. “Let’s go.” They scurried into the office, Taehyung closing the door almost completely behind them. Namjoon quickly sat down in the chair and turned to the large desktop computer resting on the right of the desk. He turned it on and waited.

“It has a password?” Hoseok leaned over Namjoon’s shoulder, his voice pressing and distressed.

“Yeah.” Namjoon shrugged. He pulled out his phone and started typing something.

“Hyung! Now isn’t the time to be texting!” Taehyung whisper screamed from where he was pacing in front of the door. Namjoon ignored him and calmly finished typing whatever he was doing and pulled out a short black wire from his pocket. He plugged his phone into the computer and it unlocked in a matter of seconds.

“I’ll never question your genius again.” Hoseok whispered in awe from behind him. Namjoon smirked and quickly found and opened the file with all of the room numbers and names. It didn’t take him long to find Jungkook’s name and switch it with the other guy, “Jinyoung.” Hoseok gagged. Namjoon was just about to switch Hoseok and Jimin’s rooms when Taehyung hissed at them, his eyes wide in panic.

“They’re coming!”

“You two go I’m almost done.” Namjoon didn’t look up. Hoseok hesitated before hurrying to the door where Taehyung was holding it open. Namjoon practically dashed behind them when he finished what he was doing, only to stop halfway through the exit. “.”

“Oh no.” Hoseok was already crouching by the garbage can by the office and he gave Namjoon an exasperated look. “ what?” He whispered, his voice was high pitched in alarm. Instead of responding, Namjoon bolted back into the office, Taehyung making a strangled noise behind him and going out of sight with Hoseok. Namjoon snatched his phone from where he had left it plugged into the computer. He turned to run to the door but froze when he heard Seokjin and coach Lee’s voices nearing the office. He ducked under the view of the window on the door, his blood roaring in his ears as he tried to think of a way out of the situation he had found himself in. He took a deep breath and stood up, almost jumping back when he saw Seokjin standing about a foot from the door. Seokjin’s eyes widened almost comically and his gaze darted to where Namjoon could see the coach had crouched down to tie his shoe. Seokjin continued talking animatedly to Lee but his eyes kept flicking up to look at Namjoon. Lee stood, his back to Namjoon as he chatted with Seokjin. The door was slightly open but Lee was standing too close for Namjoon to slip out unnoticed. He tried to relay that to Seokjin, wildly flailing in panic. Namjoon could practically see the gears in Seokjin’s mind turning.

“Oh man, I just remembered something.” Namjoon could hear Seokjin clearly. “There’s this one last thing we need to move and it’s kind of heavy… do you think you could come help me move that real quick before this period ends?” Namjoon held his breath as coach Lee checked his watch.” He nodded and took a step away from the door, following Seokjin just far enough for Namjoon to get out, silently dashing away and throwing himself around the nearest corner. “Oh wait.” Seokjin stopped walking, Lee stopping a step ahead of him. He laughed awkwardly. “We don’t actually have to move that one piece until later in the month, thank you though!” He bowed once and turned to hurry down the hall in the same direction Namjoon had disappeared in. He almost tripped over the boy, Namjoon had slumped against the wall and was holding his chest. Seokjin sat next to him and they were quickly joined by Taehyung and Hoseok, giggling and gently hitting each other giddily as they sat in front of the other two.

“We did it!” Taehyung cheered, his boxy grin wide and triumphant. “That was the most fun I’ve had in ages.”

“Your definition of fun is very different than mine.” Namjoon huffed.

“I second that.” Seokjin pat Namjoon’s shoulder in agreement, rolling his eyes at Taehyung.

“You guys are just too afraid to get caught!” Taehyung pouted, leaning onto Hoseok dramatically.

“I mean,” Hoseok lightly pushed Taehyung off. “We did all get detention when you guys were freshmen. That was your genius plan then too if you don’t remember.”

“Hmm…” Taehyung pretended to think about it. “Nope, don’t recall.” The boys laughed lightly, adrenaline slowly emptying from their systems.

“I can’t believe that actually worked…”

 


 

ha! y'all really thought it was just that short chapter? i had thought about this chapter a lot before writing it, just because it seemed like a cliche comedy movie scene. i thought it was really funny in my head but i'm not really sure how it translated into written text rip. i hope you enjoyed it nonetheless! and now i'll leave you for a few weeks (or months) until the next update! i'm kind of nervous for the next chapter so i hope you won't hate it :')