Chapter 4

I Hate That I Don't Hate You

 

 

“Kim Taehyung!” Jimin stared at the clothes his friend had laid flat on his bed.

“What?” He leaned back on the bed, giving Jimin the most innocent, wide eyed look he could muster. Jimin picked up the long sleeved, navy blue shirt and turned it in his hands. “It’s too small for me so it should fit you perfectly.”

“The size isn’t the problem, it’s this!” Jimin stuck his hand through the shirt, emphasizing the wide, low-cut V-neck.

“It’s hot and perfect for a party like this.” Taehyung shrugged. “Just try it on, if you really don’t like how it looks you don’t have to wear it.” Jimin sighed, giving Taehyung a small nod before grabbing the clothes left on the bed and stepping into the bathroom.

“Wow, uh.” Jimin pressed a hand on his exposed chest above the neck of the shirt once he finished changing. “It’s low.” He swung open the door and took a step out. Taehyung shot up from the bed, a gleeful look on his face.

“How do you feel?”

“I’m not… sure.” Jimin pulled on the sleeves and glanced at the long mirror on his door. He was shocked by his own reflection, turning in awe. Jimin cleared his throat after a moment of admiring his own reflection, giving Taehyung a small grin. “It’s not bad.”

“Not bad? You look ing amazing!” Taehyung beamed. The boys smiled to each other for a second before Taehyung pulled Jimin to the chair by the desk and sat him down. He grabbed a pouch from the bag he had brought with him and placed it on Jimin’s lap, opening it to reveal multiple professional looking makeup palettes.

“What’s that for?” Jimin reached to grab something from the bag, pouting when Taehyung smacked his hand away.

“I’m doing your makeup first…” He trailed off, taking out a few of the products and putting them on the desk. “I can quickly do my makeup after… do both our hair and we can go.”

“Makeup… okay.” Jimin looked warily at some of the tools Taehyung had pulled out, they looked like items he didn’t want Taehyung putting anywhere near his face. It wasn’t as bad as Jimin had thought, Taehyung finished in a few minutes, subtle wine colored shadow smoked out from the outer corner of his eyes and a reddish-pink tint to his lips. Jimin looked at the makeup closely in the mirror as Taehyung did his own makeup. He marvelled at how much his skin looked like a tan eggshell, the light makeup making it look smooth.

“Hair now. Sit.” Taehyung managed to style Jimin’s hair up, and admired his work as Jimin studied his completed look. “You look really different with your hair out of your face, your forehead is actually showing!” Jimin giggled as Taehyung slung an arm around Jimin’s shoulders, his faded red hair tickling Jimin’s cheek. Taehyung didn’t bother styling his hair, but Jimin still thought he still looked amazing. He wore a white button up with embroidered flowers on both sides and simple black skinny jeans, much like the pair Jimin was wearing. They grinned to each other in the mirror and Jimin could feel his excitement grow with every moment they waited.

“Is it time to go yet?”

“I think so.” Taehyung checked his watch over Jimin’s shoulder, nodding. “Let’s go, and don’t bring your wallet, you might lose it or get it stolen.” Taehyung laughed at Jimin’s wide eyed expression. He shook his head before grabbing Jimin’s hand and half dragged him out of his room, not wasting any time to grab anything more than what they already had on them. The cold air stung their skin as soon as they stepped outside and Jimin shivered, the colt biting at the exposed skin of chest. Once inside Taehyung’s car, Jimin was getting jittery with excitement, bouncing his leg and tapping on the dashboard.

“You alright?” Taehyung kept his gaze focused on the road but managed a glance to the fidgety boy sitting beside him. Jimin stopped tapping but didn't respond. Taehyung stopped at a red light and put his hand on Jimin’s, his small hand cold under Taehyung’s. “Are you nervous?”

“I didn’t really have friends back in my old school, and I was never invited to a big party like this.” He gave Taehyung a smile. “So I’m equal parts nervous and excited.” Taehyung grinned back at him, returning his attention to the road as the light changed back to green.

“It’ll be a whole lot of fun, don’t worry Chim.”


“Beer?” Taehyung offered Jimin another cup, the amber liquid sloshing around as Jimin accepted it. He took a small sip, scrunching up his face at the bitter taste. He never could understand why anyone would want to drink something so gross. He took a large gulp, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “Take it slow Jimin. You’re already on your second cup and we haven’t even been here for half an hour, this stuff isn’t juice.” Jimin waved him off and stepped towards the living room. Taehyung wasn’t lying when he had talked about the place, it was huge. Jimin had felt like he had stepped into a modern day castle, except for the already heavy scent of teenage hormones, sweat and alcohol. The living room was cleared to be the makeshift dance floor, minus a few couches left against the walls and in the corners for guests to lounge around on. The place was full, just enough room for dancing. Jimin was still nervous, but the heavy bass and the dim lights made his heart pound with excitement. He downed the rest of his drink, leaving the empty cup on a table as he made his way to where everyone was dancing.

Jimin was still too sober to actually join the group of people, but he watched with an amused smile. He looked around as much as he could in the dark room. His eyes widened when he recognized a mop of dark hair with a drink in his hand. The owner of said hair, none other than Min Yoongi, was lounging on one of the couches with a smirk on his lips as he watched the group of drunk dancers. Jimin walked over and flopped on the couch beside him and followed his gaze, curious as to what he was staring at.

“I only ever come to these stupid parties to watch Hoseok-ah dance his drunk heart out.” Yoongi said with a chuckle, his voice almost inaudible over the thundering music. It startled Jimin nonetheless. He found Hoseok among the crowd, a huge smile on the older boy’s flushed face as he flailed around with drunken grace. Yoongi reached down to pick up a cup from next to Jimin’s foot and tilted it toward Jimin. “Want some? Hoseok had a cup and a half and abandoned his drink with me. Knowing him he probably won't need anymore alcohol in his system for tonight.” He didn't look at Jimin, holding out the cup with his gaze fixed ahead of him.

“Thanks.” Jimin took the cup out of his hands and took a gulp. “What is this?” Jimin grimaced, the taste oddly like the smell of rubbing alcohol.

“Whiskey, I think. Mark had some stronger stuff in a cabinet so I helped myself.” Yoongi shrugged, taking a drink from his own cup. Jimin stared down at the liquid as he swirled it in his cup. He didn't like how it tasted but he could already feel the beer ebbing away his inhibition, so he took a long swig of the drink. The alcohol burned his tongue but made his stomach pleasantly warm. He downed the rest of the drink, unaware of the wary look Yoongi was giving him.

“Thanks for the drink.” Jimin handed the empty cup back to Yoongi and stood, looking around until he spotted Taehyung by the door to the kitchen. Jimin walked to him and rested his head on Taehyung’s shoulder.

“You already reek of alcohol.” Taehyung mumbled into Jimin’s hair.

“Yoongi-hyung gave me some whiskey.” Jimin smiled up at the boy, batting his eyelashes. Taehyung chuckled and pat his head. Jimin grabbed Taehyung’s hand and attempted to pull him towards the middle of the room to dance. Taehyung could only laugh and follow as the smaller boy began making silly faces, bouncing to the loud music.

About an hour and a few more beers later, Jimin had thrown himself between a somewhat tipsy Yoongi and a giggly Taehyung. He was flushed and had a thin sheen of sweat on his skin, he had made Taehyung dance with him almost nonstop. His cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing but he found that he couldn’t stop even if he wanted to. He closed his eyes and fanned himself, letting out a small chortle in response to a silly comment Taehyung had made about Yoongi.

“Don’t fall asleep there.” Taehyung gently shook Jimin’s arm and Jimin half opened one of his eyes to look at him.

“I won’t, I wo-” He shot up and let out a gasp. “Tae! I love this song, we have to dance!”

“Chim… I’m tired, go dance by yourself.” He waved at Jimin dismissively, trying to ignore the boy’s pout. “I’ll go get you a drink and you go dance.” Jimin sighed, pouting for a second before he broke out into a grin and practically skipped to the where there was still a group of people dancing, mostly drunkenly. Taehyung shook his head and headed to the kitchen, squeezing past some party-goers loitering by the door. He let out a breath as he made his way to the fridge and filled Jimin’s empty cup with a drink from an unopened glass bottle. He wasn’t completely sure what it was, but it smelled strongly of alcohol so he shrugged and closed the fridge.

“Tae!” A familiar voice called out behind Taehyung, from the entrance of the kitchen. Taehyung turned towards the door, looking for the source of the voice. “Tae!” Jungkook repeated as he bound up to Taehyung, haphazardly holding a drink in his hand. He gave Taehyung a lazy grin and wrapped his arm around around the boy’s torso.

“I thought you weren’t coming this year?” Taehyung gently guided Jungkook to give another boy room to get to the fridge.

“I was lonely at home… I walked.” Jungkook giggled into Taehyung’s shoulder. Taehyung shook his head and motioned for the boy to walk with him back into the living room. He lead Jungkook to a seat far from where he had been sitting before, carefully placing the cup on the floor between his feet. “Did you come alone?” Jungkook seemed to be having a hard time annunciating his words and Taehyung wondered how much he’d had to drink already. He knew that Jungkook was somewhat of a lightweight and hardly knew what the word “moderation” meant.

“I came with Jimin…” Taehyung trailed off as he scanned the room. After a few seconds, he spotted Jimin dancing with a group of Mark’s friends, the college freshmen enjoying the company of the younger boy. Jimin seemed to be having a good time, showing off his talent as he moved. “He’s been dancing practically since we got here.” Taehyung pointed him out to Jungkook with a chuckle.

“He looks like he’s having fun, huh.” Jungkook narrowed his eyes as he watched the boy dance, Jimin not seeming to mind as one of the older girls was dancing practically completely against him. Jungkook was so concentrated on staring at Jimin that he didn’t notice Taehyung’s knowing smile as he watched him. Jungkook pushed his tongue against the inside of his cheek and glared at the pair for a bit before standing, a determined glint in his eyes. He took a step forward but Taehyung’s hand wrapped around his wrist stopped him from going any further. “What?”

“Kook, you’re drunk. Just sit down and let him have fun.” Taehyung tugged on his hand.

“Hyuuung, lemme go. I wanna dance with Jimin.” He pouted at Taehyung until the boy sighed and let go.

“Fine, but only because you actually called me hyung for once.” Jungkook gave him a mischievous grin and half jogged towards the center of the room, in Jimin’s direction. Taehyung watched as Jungkook stopped a few feet behind where Jimin was, adjusted his button up and fixed his hair and took a step to wedge himself between Jimin and the girl. The girl made an annoyed sound but Jimin’s smile widened as he stopped dancing and laid eyes on the younger boy.

“Jungkookie!” Jimin wrapped a hand around Jungkook’s forearm and squeezed lightly. Jungkook felt his heart skip a beat, he definitely did not dislike Jimin calling him that. “I didn’t know you were coming!” Jimin’s words were slightly slurred but Jungkook wasn’t sober enough himself to take note of it.

“Didn’t know I was coming either to be honest.” Jungkook gave the boy a lopsided grin. Jimin found Jungkook’s response oddly funny and threw himself against the taller boy’s chest as he laughed. Jungkook, as drunk as he was, still found it in himself to pray to whatever higher power that Jimin either couldn’t hear his heart violently pounding against his ribcage or was too drunk to notice. The song that was pouring from the speakers abruptly changed and Jimin pulled back with a start.

“This song!” He took Jungkook’s hands in his own and held them between the two. Jungkook had to keep himself from squealing at how tiny Jimin’s hands were as they held his much larger hands. Jungkook was beginning to regret joining Jimin on the dance floor. “Jungkookie! Let’s dance!” Jungkook was really beginning to regret joining him.

Jimin almost instantly took control, leading Jungkook to dance to the upbeat song with him. Jungkook could hardly focus anything other than the boy in front of him. Jimin kept throwing small smiles at Jungkook, his face flushed and slightly sweaty, glistening under the flashing lights from the cheap strobe lights someone had brought. Jungkook took a deep breath and let the drunker side of himself take over, returning the smirk the other boy was giving him and moving along to the music.

Just as he was getting comfortable dancing with Jimin, the song changed. He paused, the song was a lot slower and a lot of the couples around them began to dance in a more intimate way. Jungkook shot a nervous glance at Jimin and wondered if he should try to excuse himself to escape. Jimin was giving him a very mischievous and somewhat sultry look. Jimin took a step towards the younger boy and rested a hand on his shoulder. He took Jungkook’s hand in his other hand and placed it on his hip. Jimin wrapped his hand behind Jungkook’s neck and Jungkook almost couldn’t keep himself from shivering under Jimin’s gentle touch. Jungkook brought his other hand to rest on Jimin’s hip, his hands awkwardly on either side of the boy. Jimin stepped closer, their bodies less than a foot apart. He began moving with the music, trying to guide Jungkook to follow him.

“You’re still so stiff…” Jimin whispered with a giggle, making Jungkook flush with embarrassment as he was reminded of the night in the dance room not too long before.

“Yeah well,” Jungkook looked down at him with a serious expression and his dark eyes glinting in the dim room. “Maybe you should teach me how to… loosen up.” Jimin stared up at Jungkook through his lashes, slight shock apparent on his face. Jimin tilted his head up and studied Jungkook’s face, his gaze flickering to the taller boy’s lips before looking back up to meet his eyes. Jimin his own lips hungrily before pushing himself up onto his toes to crash his lips against Jungkook’s. Jungkook hesitated for a moment before giving in and melting into the surprisingly soft kiss of the smaller boy. Jimin ran his hands through Jungkook’s hair and Jungkook could hardly keep himself from into Jimin’s mouth. He pulled at the belt loops of Jimin’s jeans and closed the remaining space between their bodies. Jimin could barely breathe under the intensity of the kiss but couldn’t make himself pull away. Jungkook wasn’t faring any better. He felt like his body was going to burst into flames from how hot he was getting.

Lucky for them (or maybe not), a loud crash from the other side of the room jolted them apart and both of the boys took a deep breath as they looked around the dark room to find the source of the sound. Everyone more or less went back to what they had been doing once it was established that it had just been someone who was too drunk and knocked over one of the small tables near the couch Taehyung had been sitting at.

“Are you okay?” Taehyung tried to help them up from where they had fallen with the table. They shoved his hand away and glared at him so he shrugged and continued past them to sit next to Yoongi on the other couch.

“Hey Tae.” Yoongi gave Taehyung a small grin.

“Hey hyung, I know we had planned for the four of us to go back to Jin-hyung’s when he came to pick us up, but do you think you could tell him to just take you and Hoseok? I’m gonna take Jimin and… I’m gonna take Jimin home.”

“You can say his name you know.” Yoongi’s words were a bit slurred and Taehyung could tell that he’d already hat a lot to drink, but he knew that Yoongi could still stay pretty serious and sober even when he’s not.

“Huh?”

“Jungkook. You can say that you’re taking him home too.”

“You’re not still…” Taehyung contemplated how to word what he was trying to ask. “You’re not still mad at him?”

“I…” Yoongi let out a sigh and put his cup down to turn to Taehyung. “No. I can’t exactly say I’ve forgiven him, because I haven’t talked to him since then and it’s hard to forgive someone you haven’t talked to… But , I haven’t been mad for a while now.”

“Oh…” Taehyung stared at his hands clasped in his lap, unsure of how to respond to what Yoongi had just told him.

“I’ll let Seokjin know when he comes to pick us up. Go take them home.” He waved Taehyung away. Taehyung gave him a grateful smile and made his way over to where Jimin was giggling into Jungkook’s shoulder, Jungkook’s fingers hooked onto Jimin’s belt loops once again.

“Boys!” Taehyung slung his arms around both of them, earning a glare from Jungkook. Taehyung ignored him and instead looked down at Jimin who had rested his head on Taehyung’s chest almost immediately. “Chim, you look exhausted.” Jimin half nodded, his hair tickling Taehyung’s chin. “How about I let both of you crash over at my place? I, as the responsible almost-adult that I am, haven’t drunk a drop of alcohol so I can drive us all there.” Jimin shifted to look up at Taehyung and smiled in agreement. Jungkook sighed and nodded. “Then let’s go.” Taehyung managed to lead both of them outside and to his car without either of the boys tripping and falling. Taehyung finally pushed Jungkook into the backseat and helped Jimin buckle into the front passenger seat (there was no way he was gonna let the two of them sit together in the back), before dropping himself with a sigh into the driver’s seat. “You guys are drunker that I thought.” Jungkook tried to protest but Taehyung told him to be quiet and the boy did as he was told, slouching into the car seat.

The drive to the house was almost half an hour and it started raining halfway there, though Taehyung didn’t mind. He thought that the soft patter of the raindrops on the roof of the car were a quiet respite from the almost painfully loud music from the party. Jungkook was leaning against the window for most of the ride, softly tapping on the window as he watched the city pass by.

“We’re here... “ Taehyung looked over to Jimin beside him and almost squealed out loud. “Kook.” Taehyung whispered behind him to the younger boy. “Give me your phone.”

“Hm? Why?” He pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to Taehyung before he got a response.

“Jimin fell asleep and he looks like an actual kitten, I need to take a picture. He looks so cute but my phone is dead.” He chuckled softly, taking the picture with Jungkook’s phone and sending it to himself before returning it. “Let’s go inside now.” Jungkook climbed out of the car and opened the door to the house with the spare key he knew Taehyung always hid in the potted plant by the door. Taehyung scooped up the sleeping Jimin and closed the door of the car with his foot before quickly going to the front door, left wide open by Jungkook. Taehyung kicked it closed as softly as he could and carried Jimin to the couch in his living room. He threw himself on the floor and looked over his shoulder to the coffee table, holding in a laugh at Jungkook out cold on top of it. Taehyung’s eyes felt heavy and his legs were tired. He grabbed one of the throw pillows from next to Jimin on the couch and curled up on the floor. He turned to stare at the ceiling and listened to the even breathing of the two boys on either side of him.

“Goodnight…”


what were yoongi and taehyung talking about? what happened with them and jungkook? you'll find out soon enough :)

how have you all been? have y'all read outcast bc that had me all types of ed up last week... anyways, hope you liked this chapter! stick around to see what happens in the aftermath of the party in the next update~

p.s jimin's a cute drunk irl and you'd be mistaken if you thought i wasn't going to include that in this story