Prologue

I Hate That I Don't Hate You

 

Jimin wasn’t exactly fond of having everyone’s eyes on him as he stood in front of his new class, 20 pairs of eyes sizing him up. He kept a small smile plastered on his face all the same, not faltering when the teacher told him to introduce himself.

“H-hello, my name’s Jimin.” He pressed his sketchbook tighter to his chest and bowed to the class before making his way to the only empty seat in the room, near the back of the small classroom. Just his luck—the seat was next to a fierce looking boy, clad in a leather jacket despite the uniform policy the school apparently enforced. His piercing brown eyes were outlined in black and he studied Jimin with a cold stare that sent unpleasant shivers down the small boy’s spine. Jimin went to pull out the empty chair, only to be stopped by the low voice of the intimidating boy.

“Seat’s taken.” He kept a steady glare in Jimin’s direction and Jimin froze with his hand on the back of the chair.

“Yoongi.” The boy directly in front of him turned and gave him a stern look. “Play nice with the new kid.” Yoongi just rolled his eyes and turned to face the window to his left. “Don’t pay him any attention, he just likes being a prick.” Jimin sat down and scooted his chair away from Yoongi.

“Thank you.” Jimin returned the warm smile the other boy was giving him.

“It’s no problem. I’m Seokjin, by the way.”


For the most part, Jimin found that people were either really nice to him or just didn’t approach him.

For the most part.

Physical education, AKA Jimin’s least favorite class. He wasn’t unfit—far from it, actually—but in the past, Jimin had been the subject of a number of snide comments during the particular class. He was not looking forward to a repetition in the new school.

He spent the beginning of class trying to stay towards the edges of the field. Though he found it rather impossible when the coach was attempting to pair them up.

“Jeon, you go with the new kid.” Jimin’s head snapped up from the very interesting grass he had been staring at.

He was “the new kid”.

Jimin could almost immediately feel the glares in his direction. He heard one of the girls behind him mutter some profanity as his partner looked over to study the small boy. He stared at Jimin for a moment before grinning and approaching him.

“Hey Pink, guess we’re partners.” Jimin felt himself flush, a combination of embarrassment (because he knew he made a mistake when he decided to dye his hair pink) and the feeling of wanting to hide—it was only the first day and he was already getting the attention of older and more popular students… and not the good kind of attention.

Jimin would be lying if he said he hadn’t already heard about the boy before then. He was the quarterback of the football team—Jeon Jungkook—one of the youngest Juniors in the school and very, very popular (especially amongst the females).

Jimin tried his hardest to ignore the glances and whispers directed at him and attempted to act like the boy was just any other kid in his grade.

“Hey! I’m older than you, show some respect.” Jimin crossed his arms, trying not to make it too obvious that he had to tilt his head up to look at Jungkook. He was almost half a foot taller.

Jungkook seemed to find what he said amusing and only smirked in response, making Jimin’s blood boil a little bit more. “Sheesh… they’re really not teaching these kids manners these days, are they?” He shook his head, narrowing his eyes at the taller boy. Jungkook opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Seokjin calling his name.

“Hey, Jungkook-ah!” He jogged up to the pair and slung an arm over Jimin’s shoulders. “Why don’t we switch partners? You and Tae are a dynamic duo and I’d hate to steal him from you.” Seokjin nodded in the direction Taehyung was standing, almost on the other side of the field. Jungkook gave him a strange look before shrugging and walking away, not sparing a glance in Jimin's direction. Seokjin waited until Jungkook was out of earshot before he turned to the smaller boy. “Sorry about that, I just thought it’d be better if I was your partner, at least for today.”

“Oh…” Jimin tried to sound aloof, but he was genuinely curious. “May I ask why?”

“I love Jungkook like a mother would a son, but the boy is a bit of an .” Seokjin responded nonchalantly and Jimin was slightly taken aback by his straightforwardness.

“He didn’t seem that bad...” Jimin muttered under his breath, more to himself than anything.

“Just…” Seokjin looked over his shoulder to where Jungkook and Taehyung were fooling around. “Be careful around him and don't get yourself hurt.”