A Player

Pot Shot

“Hi!” Tiffany greets her with a big smile and even bigger hug, squeezing all the air out of Taeyeon before letting go. Her arms hang loosely as she steps back, her cheeks warm. “Why do you look so shocked?” Tiffany asks with a laugh. “Never been hugged before?”

“Ah, I just wasn’t expecting this kind much this early.”

“This early? Like can I only hug you after twelve?”

“I-I’m not quite awake yet.”

“Then I’ll hug you again after you’re fully up.”

“Ah . . .”

“Are we gonna stand here all day?”

Taeyeon blinks. “Of course not.” Stepping to the side, she gestures towards the living area. “Come in.”

“You have a nice place. Snooker must be paying you well.”

“Snooker pays okay.”

“I see you like Disney characters.” Tiffany picks up the large pod of green peas and rubs it. “This is cute. It’s so you.”

Taeyeon moves to the kitchen. “Do you want some coffee?”

“From you? Most definitely.”

“It’s just coffee.”

“It’s coffee you made. I can’t get it from a Starbucks, can I?”

“You must be feeling a lot better today.”

“Yes, I am. All thanks to you.”

“I didn’t do much.”

“You did.”

“Coffee.”

“Thanks.”

Taeyeon joins Tiffany on the couch. “I was just watching this. Do you wanna watch something else?”

“No, this is fine.”

Barely a minute later, Taeyeon turns to Tiffany. “Are you really here just to watch TV with me?”

“What else do you think I’m here for?”

“I’m not sure. Is why I’m asking.”

“I have no agenda. I’m just chillin’.”

“Okay.”

A comfortable silence falls over them as they watch the programme. And for a while, Taeyeon is engrossed in the programme, until Tiffany nudges her.

“Not that it isn’t interesting, but why are you watching a dog show?”

“I have a dog.”

“You do?” Tiffany looks around immediately. “Where is it?”

“With my mother at the moment.”

“Oh . . . I would like to meet your dog. Is it male or female?”

“Male. Do you like dogs?”

“Like? I love dogs.” Tiffany’s eyes light up and dance. “I have two. Prince and Princess.”

“Prince. And Princess.”

“His full name is Prince Fluffy. I call him Prince for short.”

“Prince Fluffy.”

“Don’t you dare laugh at his name.”

“I’m not laughing.”

“You totally are.”

“I’m not.”

“Look, this is Prince and Princess.”

Taeyeon leans over to look at pictures of the dogs on Tiffany’s phone and Tiffany leans over to look at hers and just like that, morning turns into afternoon and afternoon turns into night.

X

“You’ve been hanging out with Taeyeon a lot lately.”

“Keen observation.”

“Is this a sign?”

“Of?”

Yuri pulls a wholesome, good-natured grin. “You know what I’m talking about. Why are you pretending you don’t?”

“I’m asking ‘cos I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Hmm, very suspicious.”

“You mean your behavior?”

“Do you like her?”

Tiffany meets Yuri’s steady gaze. “Yes.”

“Here comes trouble.”

“There won’t be any trouble.”

“You’re the one who told me she had three boyfriends in the last five years. If this isn’t setting yourself up for suffering, what is?”

“Five years do not represent a lifetime, Yul.”

“I didn’t realize you had fallen this deep this quickly.”

“I haven’t fallen,” Tiffany clarifies, rolling her eyes at Yuri. “And I’m still getting to know her so there’s more to her than just five years. There are possibilities. Besides, I’m having a great time just hanging out with her. I’m happy being friends with her.”

Yuri sighs. “Just know that my number is always open to you. Don’t hesitate to call me when you need me. I’ll go to you immediately.” Waggling her finger at Tiffany, she adds, “Whatever you do, don’t hide in a corner of your room and cry by yourself. You got that?”

“I got it. You’ll be the first person I call.”

X

“You’re not it right,” Taeyeon comments after Tiffany misses yet another shot (her eighth miss since they started playing about half an hour ago).

“ what?”

Taeyeon shakes her head as she walks around and takes Tiffany’s arm from behind. “Lock your upper arm. Think of your elbow as a hinge.” She pulls Tiffany’s elbow up an inch and taps her hand. “Don’t grip the cue stick too hard.” Moving Tiffany’s hand to and fro, she adds, “Don’t drop your elbow.”

“Why not?”

“If you drop it low, you won’t get a clean pendulum swing. The pivot has to be just your elbow and nothing else. Try it.” Taeyeon steps to the side as Tiffany attempts the , but finds herself stepping forward barely two seconds later. “Your elbow is dropping.” She pulls Tiffany’s elbow up and pats her arm. “Feel that pull. Swing from your elbow and get your cue stick closer to the ball.”

Tiffany attempts the a few more times, stopping the cue stick each time it almost touches the cue ball.

“Much better. But it’ll be even better if you get your weight on both feet.”

Tiffany straightens her back and groans. “This is too much work.”

Taeyeon clucks. “Bend over.” She applies pressure on Tiffany’s back so she is bent at the waist. “You have to carry your weight like this. Move your feet further apart. Get comfortable.”

“This sounds . I like it.”

“Don’t lock your right knee.” Taeyeon runs her hand down Tiffany’s thigh. “Relax. Bend your left knee. Okay. How do you feel right now?”

“y.”

Taeyeon laughs.

“Do you think I’m y?”

“Yes, you look very y right now.”

“Great. So do I get to do my now?”

Taeyeon has a feeling Tiffany is talking about some other kind of at this time but she simply nods, betraying none of her thoughts. “Try it a few times. Get a hang of it.” Biting her lip, she steps back to watch as Tiffany swings the cue stick. After a few swings, the stick hits the ball and sends the coloured solid into the corner pocket.

“Oh my God! I did it!” Tiffany cheers and skips to her.

“I saw it! Good job.” Taeyeon raises her palm for a high-five but is met with a bear hug instead. She gets a good whiff of Tiffany’s floral scent and her heart skips when Tiffany smiles into her eyes.

“You’re a great coach, Taeyeon.”

“Any player could teach you that, to be honest.”

“But you’re not just any player, are you?”

Tiffany’s smile makes her heart skip once again. What in the world is happening to her heart? Why is it skipping like this?

X