A Keeper

Pot Shot

 

This cute girl called Taeyeon is bringing cute to another level. Furrowed brows, determined eyes and chin on the cue stick. The way she focuses on lining up the shot is borderline over the top but adorable at the same time. But this cute girl impresses when she pots the solid green, following up with a decent placement of the cue ball for the next shot.

Tiffany taps the top rail of the pool table to acknowledge the good shot and so do Yuri and Lin. Then they step back and watch as Taeyeon proceeds to pot the red as well. Two more pots later, Yuri nudges her.

“Is she a professional or what?”

“How would I know?”

“Damn. She’s a keeper.”

“Just because she’s good at eightball?”

“And really pretty.”

“Here you are saying I’m not open to honest-to-god dating yet there you are going all superficial on me.”

“Looks aren’t everything but they don’t hurt, do they?”

“You’re too smooth, Yul.”

Yuri flips her hair and pulls that all-too-familiar smirk. “Thanks, Tiff. You’re pretty smooth yourself.”

“Hey, it’s your turn, Yul,” says Lin. “Make it good.”

Tiffany watches as Yuri struts around the pool table. With long silky hair, an athletic figure and tanned skin, Yuri is a picture of health and fitness. Naturally, that attracts a lot of attention from both men and women but Yuri handles it with flair. Her intelligent brown eyes are currently flickering between the cue ball and striped blue. Her arm swings and the cue stick makes contact. In goes the striped blue and she grins while Lin claps.

One missed stripe yellow later, Lin is pouting instead while Yuri shrugs. “I tried my best.”

Tiffany grins. “We’re gonna beat you.” She chalks the tip of her cue stick while assessing the positions of the solids. There’s just purple, blue and maroon left. It should be easy enough. She bends low and judges the angle. If she hit the cue ball to the right of the maroon, it would send the maroon to the left and into the pocket. That’s the plan.

Pull back and release. The cue tip hits the cue ball, setting it into motion. It rolls across the table and meets the maroon. The maroon then rolls towards the pocket . . . and stops just short.

“Oh my God. .”

Yuri and Lin tap on the rail. “Good job, Tiff.”

“Let’s see you do a better job, Lin.”

Lin sticks her tongue out and tucks her long blonde hair behind her ear as she bends. She barely takes aim before taking the shot but manages to pot the striped green and yellow before losing her turn.

“Taeyeon, back to you,” says Yuri, leaning her back on the wall with her arms folded.

“If we win this, you’re paying for the drinks, Yul.”

“Call. I’m not afraid.”

Tiffany sends Taeyeon a wide smile and giggles when the woman returns an awkward smile. “Hey, it’s just a joke. You can relax.”

To her surprise, Taeyeon shakes her head. “No. The deal is on. Drinks are at stake. I intend to drink tonight.”

“Ooh la la, the girl intends to get drunk tonight,” says Yuri with her signature smirk. “But we’ll see who gets to pick up the tab.”

Taeyeon grins. “We’ll see.” With that, she bends low, lines up her shot, cue stick rubbing against the tip of her chin as she aims. “Corner, right.” The cue ball clacks onto the maroon and sends it rolling into the specified pocket. “Corner, left.”

Tiffany’s jaw loosens a little when the cue ball spins backwards after sending the purple straight into the exact pocket announced. When the cue ball comes to rest, it is in the perfect spot to send the blue into the middle pocket on the right. Impressive.

With a smile on her face, Taeyeon places her left hand on the pool table and forms the an open bridge. She bends low, swings the cue stick a couple times, then hits.

Pak.

Cue ball hits blue dead center and halts right on the spot as the blue is potted. By this time, all of them are silent. They have come to the realization that Taeyeon is a lot better than she’s letting on and it is actually quite a show to watch.

There is just one ball left to pot. The black 8 ball.

“Corner.” Taeyeon taps the pocket with her cue stick to indicate the right pocket.

Their eyes are following Taeyeon’s moving cue stick when she strikes.

Pak.

The black eight ball rolls. Into the right pocket. Tiffany raises her arms in victory. Taeyeon sets her cue stick back on the rack, wearing a wide grin. Yuri shakes her head in disbelief and Lin applauds.

Tiffany gives Taeyeon a high five. “You’ve been holding back on us, babe.”

“You never asked.”

“Fair enough, but we’re never betting against you again without a huge handicap,” Yuri jokes.

Moments later, they are sitting around the table with drinks on Yuri’s tab. Taeyeon is sipping her beer, which annoys Tiffany.

“Babe, this isn’t how you drink beer.”

“I can’t drink it too quickly. I’ll get drunk.”

“Didn’t you say you wanted to drink tonight?”

Taeyeon nods. “I really feel like drinking. I want to drink.”

“Then you can expect to get drunk.”

“But I get drunk very easily.”

Tiffany raise a brow. “How easily?”

“Two mugs of this,” Taeyeon says, lifting her mug.

“Two? That’s weak.”

“My friends call me alcohol trash. That’s also why our forfeits don’t usually involve drinking.”

“Instead, it’s dares?”

Taeyeon smiles and nods.

“Well, you’re with us tonight so you’ll do things our way. We drink. So you drink.”

“I’ll try.”

“You’re gonna have to do better than try.”

Four mugs later, Tiffany is beginning to regret her actions when Taeyeon falls asleep on the table. She shakes the woman’s shoulder, pats her back, her cheek, glides ice cubes across her hand and cheek, but nothing works.

“We’re in trouble,” she says, looking between Yuri and Lin.

“You’re in trouble,” Yuri corrects her. “We’re not the ones who insisted she drink more than she can handle.”

“I thought she was trying to get out of drinking too much. I mean, seriously, who gets drunk and falls asleep after just four mugs of beer?”

Yuri and Lin point at the sleeping beauty. “Taeyeon.”

Tiffany groans. “What are we going to do?”

“You’re gonna have to dish out some cash to send her home,” says Yuri.

“Cash, I have, but her address, no.”

“And she can’t tell us her address if she doesn’t wake up . . .”

“Brilliant deduction, Lin,” Tiffany replies.

Yuri shrugs. “Well then, it’ll have to be a room upstairs.”

“But the rooms upstairs . . . I don’t feel good about leaving her alone in a place like that.”

“You could fork out more money for a hotel room down the road,” Yuri suggests helpfully.

“But that’s like five times the price.”

“If you want to save money, you can get a room upstairs and stay with her if you don’t feel good leaving her alone.”

“That’s . . .”

“A good idea. You’ll thank me for it,” says Yuri. “Come on, we’ll help you to carry her outta here.”

X