A Cry

Pot Shot

 

“Where are you taking me?”

“Away.”

“From?”

“Trouble.”

“What trouble?”

“My troubles.”

“What kind of trouble are you in?”

Tiffany glances at Taeyeon. “Sugar babe troubles.”

Taeyeon fiddles with her fingers. “Are you really a sugar babe?”

“Does it make you uncomfortable?”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “It’s not that. It’s just that . . . I’m not sure if it’s what I think it is.”

“What do you think it is?”

“Er . . .”

“Be honest. I won’t bite.”

“Well, you said you make rich people happy and they give you money. And you’re biual so you’re not limited to either .” Taeyeon pauses, then shrugs and adds, “It all adds up.”

“To?”

“Oh, you know . . . like an or some kind of professional girlfriend for both men and women. . .”

Tiffany bursts into long and loud laughter.

“Am I wrong?” Taeyeon asks with a frown as her cheeks grow warm.

“That’s not how I make rich people happy.”

“I knew it. You were trolling the entire time.” Taeyeon folds her arms and looks out the window.

“It’s a joke.”

“Ha-ha. Very funny.”

“You’re not really mad, are you?”

Taeyeon huffs out her nose. “A little.”

Tiffany’s light laughter fills the car. “That’s because you’re in a bad mood. Who’s the guy I saved you from? Your ex?”

Taeyeon’s eyes fly to Tiffany. “How did you know?”

With a shrug, Tiffany offers a smile. “Lucky guess.”

“He’s not important anymore.” Taeyeon turns to Tiffany. “Tell me about your sugar babe troubles.”

“I’ll tell you when we get there.”

“Where?”

“There.”

X

‘There’ turns out to be a little shop in a quiet neighbourhood. Tiffany must be a regular here because the waitress simply waves and smiles without bothering to show her to a table.

“Don’t tell anyone in Pot Shot that this is the place I come to get drunk,” Tiffany whispers in Taeyeon’s ear.

“Why not?”

“Because I come here when I don’t want the world to find me.”

“Oh.”

“Sit. I’ll get you a menu.”

“Isn’t that the waitress’s job?”

Tiffany waggles her hand, dismissing the question. “I’ll be in-charge of that.” Pulling a menu from the holder, Tiffany places it on the table. “There you go.”

“Any recommendations?”

“Mmm, this.” Tiffany points at the picture of a plate of spaghetti. “I love it.”

Taeyeon thinks it doesn’t look like much but decides to trust Tiffany’s taste. “I’ll try it.”

“I’ll have the usual. And give my friend one of your godly spaghettis.”

“Any beer for your lady friend?”

“Er . . .”

Taeyeon holds Tiffany’s doubtful gaze with bravado she does not possess. “I can take one mug.”

“Give the lady one beer from the tap.”

“Got it.”

Tiffany turns back to Taeyeon, grinning like she’s up to something.

“Why are you smiling at me like that?”

“You don’t have to feel pressured to drink, you know.”

“I’m not pressured. I wish I could drink like you and my friends, but I can’t.”

“You’re awfully cute when you’re about to be drunk though.”

Taeyeon pulls an awkward smile.

Tiffany leans in, smiling. “Compliments make you act awkward.”

“That’s because compliments make me feel awkward.”

“Not the kind who falls for flattery then.”

“I’m more comfortable with mutual insults,” Taeyeon admits with a laugh.

“The cool type. Sassy.”

Taeyeon shakes her head, smirking. “Swag,” she drawls in a low tone.

“You? Swag?”

“Do you know swag?”

Tiffany throws her head back and laughs. “You’re such an oxymoron.”

Taeyeon shrugs. “At least I’m not a moron.”

Tiffany laughs again and slaps her arm. “Oh my God, you’re too cute.”

X

Taeyeon is feeling on top of the world after emptying her beer mug and spaghetti. Tiffany was right. The spaghetti is to die for. Creamy, smooth, flavourful. Not too much. Just right. She has just eaten the world’s best spaghetti.

Tiffany laughs suddenly. “Did you just burp?”

Taeyeon covers , self-conscious all of a sudden. “Maybe?”

“I’m taking that as a sign of how much you love the spaghetti.”

“Oh yeah,” Taeyeon nods vigorously, “very much.”

“Any room for dessert?”

“Ice cream?”

“Ice cream, huh? We’ll grab that from the store along the way.”

“Huh?”

“Come on.” Tiffany takes Taeyeon’s hand and pulls her out of the restaurant, waving their goodbyes in hurry.

“We didn’t even pay for our food and beer.”

“They’ll put it on my tab.”

“I can’t let you pay for everything. I have to pay you back.”

“It’s okay. I literally kidnapped you and made you accompany me through dinner. I should pay for it, at least.”

“If you put it like that . . . okay. Thanks for the lovely dinner.”

Tiffany smiles. “You know, Yuri is usually my go-to when I’m upset but you’re pretty soothing yourself.”

“They don’t call me Taeyeon for nothing.”

“Ha-ha-ha.”

“Admit it. That was funny.”

“That was lame.”

“That was swag.”

“Oh my God.”

Taeyeon flicks her hair over her shoulder. “Goddess.”

Tiffany bursts into laughter. “You . . . you’re . . .”

“Amajjing?”

Tiffany stops walking, her hand tugging Taeyeon to a stop too. Surprised, Taeyeon turns, blinking. For a long moment, Tiffany stares into her eyes. The moment lasts too long and Taeyeon finds herself blushing.

“What?”

“I know you’re trying hard to cheer me up even though you don’t know what’s upsetting me.” Tiffany’s smile warms Taeyeon’s heart. “Thank you, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon smiles in return. “I’m glad it worked.” But to her alarm, Tiffany’s smile crumbles and contorts. “Tiffany!” Her new friend buries her sad face into her shoulder, leaving her shocked and unsure of what to do. Tiffany’s arms wrap around her waist as she begins to cry, so Taeyeon wraps her arms around Tiffany too and pats her back gently.

People stare as they walk by but Taeyeon doesn’t stop Tiffany from crying. She stands by Tiffany’s side, lending her shoulder for her to cry on, because that is what Tiffany needs the most right now.

X