A Beach

Pot Shot

Taeyeon is sure her face is a carbon copy of Tiffany’s. An expression of wariness. What’s Leeyun doing here? And she said she’s here for a long-time friend. Tiffany. Shi—

Leeyun’s arms are going around Tiffany’s shoulders. Tiffany still looks like she’s just seen a ghost. Well, this is ing awkward.

“Hi, Tiff. It’s so good to see you again.”

“Hey . . .” Tiffany’s arms are slack by her sides as she replies, her voice flat.

“It’s been a long time,” says Yuri. “You look different now.”

Leeyun smiles at Yuri. “Better, right?”

Yuri shrugs. “Just different.”

“It’s a new crowd these days, huh,” says Leeyun, looking around at Sunny and the rest. “Hi, I’m Tiffany’s old friend from way back. She and I were closer than close.”

All eyes land on Taeyeon. Following everyone’s gaze, Leeyun turns and sees Taeyeon behind her. “Hey, it’s you.” She looks back at the group, then at Taeyeon again. “I’m guessing you’re with them?”

Taeyeon nods slightly. Her neck seems to have stiffened like a cat’s tail when it’s threatened. “I’m with them,” she says, her system still reeling from the aftershocks. Then she sees the worry in Tiffany’s eyes and a gear shifts inside. “I’ve always wanted to meet Tiffany’s old friends,” she adds, wearing a smile bigger than usual. I’ve been bugging her to introduce me to more. I mean, Yuri is very nice but things can get boring after a while.”

“What did you just say?” Yuri protests instantly, but with a smile of relief. “You short punk. Be careful or you’ll be sorry.”

“And you are?”

Taeyeon extends her hand to Leeyun. “I’m Taeyeon. Tiffany’s girlfriend.”

The sounds of billiard balls clacking around them drifts over the dead silence.

“So you’re the new girl she’s just starting out with.”

I’m not some new car she just bought. “Yeah.”

Leeyun looks Taeyeon up and down, then grins at Tiffany. “Is it just me or has your taste in women changed since then?”

Are you trying to say you’re better than me?

Tiffany reaches for Taeyeon and pulls her in. “I don’t know. Yuri, what do you think?”

Yuri shrugs. “Who knows?”

“Nice. New crowd, new girl, new life. Good for you.” Leeyun nods and looks around, as though searching for someone. “Well, I’ll see you around. I’ve got some business to tend to.”

Tiffany nods too. “Sure, we’ll see you around,” she says, smiling at Taeyeon when she says “we’ll”.

X

“What was that about?” Yoona asks her later, when they’re in the washroom.

Taeyeon shrugs. “I don’t know. But it wasn’t fun.”

“That’s an understatement.” Yoona rolls her eyes. “Is she Tiffany’s ex?”

“Mhm.”

“Man, that wasn’t nice of her to say those things in front of you.”

“Do you think she wants to get back with Tiffany?”

Yoona frowns. “Maybe? It’s a little hard to tell from that. But it sure looked like a catfight itching to happen.”

“It felt like that to me too.”

Yoona pats Taeyeon on her shoulder. “You did a good job keeping your cool. That’s one of the best things about you.”

“Staying calm?”

“Yeah, staying calm.” Yoona pauses, then grins. “Sometimes, too calm.”

Taeyeon looks at Yoona, and they both laugh.

“Don’t let the ex bully you. We’ll be here to back you up if you need us.”

“I won’t. And who knows? We might not see her again. This could be a one-off thing.”

Yoona doesn’t look convinced. “Maybe. But I think you’ll see her again. Here.”

Taeyeon grimaces. “I hope not.”

“I hope not too.”

X

As soon as they get on a taxi, Tiffany turns to Taeyeon and erupts. “Taeyeon, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry about that. Whatever she’s trying to do trust me—nothing she does is gonna work, unless she’s trying to get us married and living together.”

Taeyeon raises a brow. “Is that what you want?”

“Huh?”

“You said ‘married and living together’. Is that what you want?”

“Isn’t that what everybody wants?”

Taeyeon tilts her head and thinks. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Don’t you want it?”

“Eventually.”

“Not right now?”

Taeyeon shakes her head and Tiffany heaves a dramatic sigh of disappointment.

“Damn. And I was gonna drive us to the airport right away.”

“Why the airport?”

“To fly us to a country that allows two pretty girls to get married.”

Taeyeon laughs out loud. “Tiffany, I thought we were in the middle of a serious conversation.”

“Opps, my bad. Sawwry.”

“You two are female,” says the taxi driver in a gruffy voice.

Taeyeon and Tiffany fall silent and exchange looks.

“Females can’t marry females.”

“That’s only true in this country,” Tiffany retorts, and the rest of the journey is completed in silence.

A few minutes later, the taxi pulls up at Taeyeon’s apartment and they make a quick exit. Tiffany is first to speak. “Tonight has been a night of awkward moments, eh.”

“The taxi driver isn’t wrong, though.”

“Hey, hey,” Tiffany cups Taeyeon’s cheeks and lifts her face. “Listen, he may be right, but no one can stop us from enjoying our time together, right?”

Taeyeon is silent for a moment before replying, “Right.”

“Yeah, that’s the spirit.”

Taeyeon nods. “Thanks for coming to Sunny’s birthday party and making all my friends like you.”

Tiffany chuckles. “I’m just glad Yuri didn’t spill too many secrets about me in front of your friends.”

“What are you going to do now that you got off the taxi? It’s really hard to get a taxi here at this time.”

“I don’t know . . .” Tiffany sweeps the area with her eyes, searching the empty roads surrounding them. “Hike home?”

“This late? It’s too dangerous.”

“Hmm, so what do you suggest I do?”

“Sleep over.”

“Sleep over, where?”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “At my place, of course.”

“Hey, I was just making sure. You might have suggested a hotel,” says Tiffany, eyes wide in feigned innocence, “and I would have embarrassed myself.”

Taeyeon smacks Tiffany’s arm with a chiding glare. “So are you coming with me or not? I know a hotel you can hike to if you’re not.”

Grabbing hold of Taeyeon’s arm with both hands, Tiffany grins. “Of course I’m coming with you. I would love to come with you.”

Narrowing her eyes, Taeyeon gives Tiffany a dirty look. “Stop it or I’ll leave you out on the streets by yourself.”

“Oh, you wouldn’t.”

“Try me.”

Tiffany chuckles loudly, her head thrown back. “Oh, sweetie, you’re so full of it, you don’t even know.”

Taeyeon smacks Tiffany’s arm again. “Shut up and follow me.”

“Yes, madam.”