A Toast

Pot Shot

As Taeyeon follows the black ball with her eyes, a sense of elation unfolds in her heart. Having played so many years of snooker, she understands the balls as deeply as she understands herself. She knows the ball is going in. And it does. Rapturous applause erupts. She smiles, knowing that one of those claps belongs to the person she cares most about. And she smiles, because that person is watching her right now.

X

“Congratulations, Taeyeon!”

“How does it feel to be a champion, Taeyeon?”

“Tell us how you got here, Taeyeon.”

“What would you like to tell your fans, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon smiles, knowing that is the final question, and says, “I would like to thank all my family, friends and people who believed in me and said kind words to me. Because of them, I am able to find the strength to keep this up till today. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.”

X

The hug that sweeps Taeyeon off her feet is strong and bold. When she is returned to the ground, Taeyeon grins at the beautiful, smiling face of Tiffany’s. “I did it,” she says simply.

“I’m so proud of you,” is the short yet heartfelt reply.

They hug again. Then, Taeyeon recovers herself and receives hugs from her friends as well.

“See, we were right all along. You are the best,” says Sunny with a twinkle in her eyes.

“For this year, I am.”

“Oh, you’re too modest, Taeyeon. You’re the champion now.”

“Of the year.”

Hyoyeon rolls her eyes. “We aren’t the press, you know.”

Taeyeon laughs. “You might as well be.”

“Time is ticking, people. Let’s move our asses to Pot Shot already,” Sunny reminds them.”

So, with her hand securely tucks in Tiffany’s, Taeyeon goes to her victory party.

X

Everyone is fairly drunk when a female figure steps in front of Taeyeon. She’s half gone, but her mind sobers up instantly when the woman’s face registers. “Leeyun?”

A hand tugs on hers as soon as she utters the name, and Tiffany surges from behind to stand defensively between them. “What is it you want?”

Leeyun simply smiles, shaking her head as though this is all a joke. “You can relax, Ti. I’m only here to congratulate your girlfriend.”

“For?”

“She won the snooker championship. It was on TV here.”

“Thank you,” Taeyeon says quickly, before Tiffany can throw in anything unpleasant. “I appreciate it.”

“No problem.” Leeyun nods, then adds, “I’m sorry too.”

Stunned, Taeyeon fails to respond before Leeyun walks away. “Did she just . . . apologize?”

“Yeah.”

Taeyeon turns to Tiffany. “What did you say to her?”

Pressing a kiss on Taeyeon’s lips, Tiffany smiles. “Just what any girlfriend would say.”

“Poor her.”

“Forget her.” Tiffany tugs on Taeyeon’s hand, pulling her down to her lap. “Kiss me.”

With a tipsy smile, Taeyeon obliges, and her friends cheer.

X

A mess of curls greets Taeyeon when she opens her eyes the next morning. The ends of a few are tickling her nose so she turns to escape them. is dry. Water, she needs some water. But the kitchen is so far away . . .

Tiffany yawns beside her. “Nggh morning . . .”

Taeyeon smiles and plants a kiss on the adorable ear closest to her. Lifting her head off the pillow is out of the question.

“You’re not getting out of bed till lunch time, are you?”

“Mm, mm.”

“I knew it. Yoga after then?”

Taeyeon reaches out to hug Tiffany. “I love yoga in bed.”

Tiffany is laughing when she smacks Taeyeon’s arm. “I’m gonna take a shower. You’re welcome to join me.”

“Don’t make my life difficult.” More laughs follow as Tiffany gets out of bed. Moments later, sounds of water splashing stream out of the bathroom. Miffed, Taeyeon yells, “Close the door!”

“You close it.”

Taeyeon refuses to move. She clings on to the last vestiges of sleep, desperate to keep her eyes closed, but it doesn’t work. Flinging the covers aside, Taeyeon stomps to the door. She is about to shut it when she catches sight of Tiffany winking at her from the shower. Damn it.

“I’m coming in,” she announces, stripping along the way. Tiffany squeals and closes the shower door but Taeyeon opens it and steps in. “You invited me so here I am.”

Tiffany looks her up and down. “You’re still wearing your .”

“I didn’t have time to take them off.”

“Allow me.” With a grin, Tiffany pulls it down and squats to take it from her ankles. She rises with it dangling from a finger and swings it before Taeyeon’s eyes. “Now you’re fit to join me.”

Taeyeon steps forward, backing Tiffany up against the wall. “Is this a one-time champion’s reward or is this going to be a recurring activity?

“Which would you like it to be?” Tiffany asks as she pulls Taeyeon closer by the waist.

“Mmm, this is a tough one. I’ll have to think about it.”

Tiffany shakes Taeyeon, laughing. “.”

“You’re hugging a right now. Think about it.”

Tiffany turns, flipping Taeyeon so she’s now backed up against the wall instead. She nudges one leg between Taeyeon’s and leans in with a mysterious smirk. “Don’t you know? I have a thing for s.”

Taeyeon giggles. “Really?”

“Really,” Tiffany murmurs and closes in for a deep kiss that will last for a long, long time time.

X

Fresh from the shower, Taeyeon and Tiffany look at each other when their stomachs growl at the same time. They burst into giggles and nudge each other.

“I want toast and waffles,” Taeyeon demands.

“I’m not your personal chef,” Tiffany retorts.

“Please?”

“How about eating out today?”

“I’d like that too.”

“Great. I know a good breakfast place.”

A short drive later, Taeyeon finds herself standing in front of her a quaint little shop designed like a cottage. Tiffany takes her hand and pulls her in. They find a table, settle down and place their orders quickly.

While waiting for their food to arrive, Tiffany tinkers around with Taeyeon’s fingers, lifting them, rubbing them. “You have such cute fingers,” she comments.

“Don’t look, but there’s a couple to our left staring at us,” Taeyeon whispers.

Tiffany side-glances at them. “Have they never seen two people in love?” she snorts.

Taeyeon grins. She takes Tiffany’s hand and holds it with both hands. Then she stares at the couple. They look away quickly and proceed pretend they weren’t staring which makes Taeyeon feel like rolling her eyes, but at least they aren’t staring anymore.

“I can’t believe I used to worry you’d be intimated by the stares,” Tiffany says with a laugh when Taeyeon turns back to her.

“Well, back then you didn’t know that my snooker training taught me how to deal with media and the public.”

“I’m glad you’re so strong for us. I’m really glad.”

“And I’m glad I met you at Pot Shot.”

Tiffany chuckles. “You’re not the only one.”

Taeyeon squeezes Tiffany’s hand and smiles. “Lucky us?”

Tiffany returns the squeeze and smile. “Lucky in love.”

“Yes, lucky in love.”

Fin.