A Coincidence

Pot Shot

Taeyeon stands with a wide grin as soon as Tiffany appears at the door. She waves Tiffany and Yuri over and pulls Tiffany to her side, forgetting to introduce her friends.

“Yoona, Hyoyeon.” Sunny smiles as she introduces them instead. “Tiffany, Yuri.”

In no time at all, friendly and knowing smiles are all around, and Taeyeon is twisting her fingers in the awkwardness of it all. Thank goodness for Sunny and Tiffany. They are the perfect hostesses for the occasion—Sunny’s birthday party.

Of course, Sunny would choose to hold her party at Pot Shot. Ever since Tiffany told her about Pot Shot’s one-for-one alcohol deal for birthdays, she’s been raring to have her party here. And as expected, there are no less than two bottles of champagne on the table. Taeyeon rubs her temples. Please don’t get drunk tonight. Not tonight.

The birthday song plays through the sound system and everyone bursts into song and claps along. Shrill whistles and bearish cheers ring throughout the place at the end of the song and then the buzz of activity resumes.

“Cheers to the shortest, cutest friend I know,” Yoona raises her champagne glass with the toast and everyone follows suit. “Happy Twenty-first!”

Sunny giggles. “Yoona is the best.”

“What about me?” Hyoyeon says with a pout.

“You?” Sunny narrows her eyes into slits. “You’re . . . second best.”

“Hey,” Taeyeon protests. “That means I’m the worst.”

“You’re third best,” says Sunny, blowing a kiss over.

Tiffany throws an arm around Taeyeon and pulls her close. “She’s my best.”

“Woo . . .”

“Ooo . . .” Taeyeon’s friends coo.

“Don’t fall for her honey words,” says Yuri, wearing a smirk. “She’s full of it.”

Tiffany blows a kiss to Yuri. “I know you love me, but the female lead of the night is Sunny. Lovely, charming Sunny. You’re truly awesome. Happy birthday.”

“Thanks, Tiffany. You’re the best too.”

Another round of clinks and everyone leans back, relaxed. Casual conversation continues for a while, until someone suggests a game of pool. And of course, with this lot here, there’s bound to be games involving to dares.

They are grouped up, Hyoyeon, Sunny and Tiffany, Yoona, Yuri and Taeyeon. And after deciding on the dare—to hug a stranger and tell them you miss them then say it’s a mistake—the game is started.

Hyoyeon gets a decent break and Yuri pots two balls, earning her high-fives from her group members. Tiffany pots one and misses the next, while Yoona pots two, just like Yuri. Taeyeon is feeling hopeful since they’re three balls ahead, but Sunny steps to the table with a glint in her eyes, dimming Taeyeon’s hopes a little.

Sure enough, Sunny is in stellar form. She pots all the remaining balls and finishes the game, giving Taeyeon no chance to pick up the cue stick.

Yoona breaks the next round, and Tiffany pots two. Yuri puts three in, eliciting loud cheers from Yoona and Taeyeon. Hyoyeon manages to put two away, leaving Taeyeon to save her group from losing horribly. She steps to the table, determined to win this round for her group.

She pots five balls in succession, leaving just the eight ball on the table. It is in an awkward position, a little too close to the cushion and difficult to pot. But she has to try. A safety shot would be difficult to defend against Sunny. So with a deep breath, Taeyeon bends and focuses. Then she goes for it.

The cue stick hits the cue ball with a thud, sending it rolling across the table.

Clack.

Taeyeon watches with bated breath as the cue ball brushes the side of the eight ball and sets it rolling to the left. The eight ball rolls painfully slowly and Taeyeon has to suppress the urge to blow on it. But it makes it to the pocket and drops in, much to Taeyeon’s joy.

“Oh my God, Taeyeon, you’re our heroine!” Yuri exclaims while lifting Taeyeon in a bear hug.

“It’s not that big a deal,” Taeyeon says with a bashful grin.

Yuri turns round to Tiffany and grins. “Ah ha! I’ve still got a chance to send you on the dare.”

Tiffany merely sticks her tongue out at Yuri. “Not with Sunny on my side. Be prepared to hug the most unpleasant person in this place.”

After a round of coin flipping, it is decided that Sunny’s team will go first. Hyoyeon breaks, and Yuri sinks three. She steps away from the table with glee, obviously confident of their chances to win this round. But much to their surprise, Sunny is next to step up.

“Wh-Why are you playing next? Shouldn’t it be Tiffany?” Yuri asks.

Sunny simply grins. “There’s no rule to say Tiffany can’t go last.”

“Damn it,” says Yuri, as Taeyeon’s heart sinks.

Damn it indeed. Sunny’s gonna pot everything for sure.

And Taeyeon is right. In no time at all, Sunny is down to the eight ball. Her cue ball placement is excellent and she has no trouble potting the last ball, to the cheers of her group members.

“Alright. We’ve won the game. Which one of you will do the dare? Or tell us a daring truth?” Sunny asks with a grin that would make the most unsuspecting person suspicious.

“I’ll do it,” says Taeyeon. “I’ll be responsible for the sly tactics of my best friend.”

Sunny laughs like the Wicked Witch of the West. “Truth or dare?”

“Dare.”

“Oh, this will be fun. Who shall we pick?” Sunny rubs her hands with glee as she scans the crowd. “Oh, the woman who just came in. Long black hair. Skinny blue ripped jeans.”

“Who?” Tiffany asks as she turns to look with the others.

Make it quick. Just do it. Taeyeon clenches her fists and walks towards the woman in skinny blue ripped jeans. She pulls a smile that she hopes is natural and throws her arms around the woman quickly. “Hey! I miss you so much.”

Dropping her arms and stepping back, Taeyeon stares into the round, sparkly eyes of the woman she just hugged. “Oh my goodness,” she gasps and claps a hand over . “I’m so sorry. I was so sure you were my friend. I’m sorry if I startled you.”

The woman blinks for a second before light of understanding dawns on her face. “Ah, it’s alright. People make mistakes like that all the time.” She smiles, looking like a model from the cover page of a magazine. “Coincidentally, I’m here to look for a long-time friend too.”

“Really? That’s such a coincidence.”

“Yes, it is,” the woman replies with a nod. Her eyes scan the area around the bar, then wanders towards the pool tables.

This is the perfect time to bow out and be done. “Well, then. I’ll let you do your searching. I hope you find your friend.”

The woman thanks her, eyes still scanning the area and Taeyeon makes her exit, thankful that it wasn’t a terrible experience. As she’s walking back to her friends however, she is passed by the woman she hugged. The woman is walking like a manager on a busy day and she’s walking towards Taeyeon’s group of friends.

Don’t tell me . . .

Taeyeon watches as the woman stops just behind Tiffany and hugs Tiffany just like she just hugged the woman.

No way . . . that’s too much of a coincidence. And why does Yuri look like she just saw a ghost?

She hurries forward and gets close enough just in time to hear the woman introducing herself to everyone. “Hi ladies, I’m Leehyun.”

X