A First

Pot Shot

Having breakfast like this after getting a moving confession is a first. Getting a moving confession after a drunken night is a first too. How many more firsts will there be? The mere thought of it sends a thrill of exhilaration streaks through her body.

Hold your horses, sugarbabe. Don’t get ahead of yourself. Don’t this up with your eagerness. Just ask her out on a date and seduce her with your sugar later. Nice and slow.

“What are you doing after training tomorrow?” Tiffany asks after swallowing her mouthful of toast.

Taeyeon’s ears turn pink. “Are you going to ask me out on a date?”

Tiffany grins. Taeyeon is cuter than she could have ever imagined. “Yes.”

“Like a date date?”

“Is there such a thing as a date that isn’t a date?”

“Like I go out on ‘dates’ with Sunny but they aren’t really dates.”

“Oh . . . right. I see what you mean. Well, it’s a date date.” Watching for signs of reluctance, Tiffany asks, “Are you comfortable with that?”

Taeyeon looks down at her hands for a second but looks up with a smile. “Yes, I would like to go on a date with you.”

Reaching for one of Taeyeon’s hands, Tiffany says, “Are you sure?”

“Yes. Show me what it’s like to go on a date with Sugarbabe Tiffany.”

Tiffany chortles. “Hang on tight, honey, I might be too sweet for you.”

Taeyeon grins. “Try me.”

“Oh, for sure. I’m gonna try you.”

X

Sunny looks up from her game and grins. “Things went well, huh.”

“How do you know?” Taeyeon asks as she lowers her bum onto the couch next to her gamer friend.

“It says so on your face.”

“My face?” Taeyeon parrots, rubbing her face with her hands.

“You looked like a grumpy old hag for the past few days but today, you look like a newborn soul, ready to soar the skies.”

“You’re so full of crap, Sunny.”

“And you’re so full of actual .”

“You don’t know that.”

“You look constipated.”

“But you just said I look like a newborn soul now.”

“It’s different layer. Deep inside, you’re full of constipated . It’s just the outer glow from your successful confession or whatever that’s on the surface.”

“Remind me why we’re friends again?”

“‘Cos we’re both full of .”

Taeyeon laughs.

“So are you officially her girlfriend or what?”

Taeyeon is silent for a moment. Am I? Are we? But she hasn’t asked. “I don’t think so.”

“You don’t think so?”

“The conclusion is that we’ll date. We didn’t say anything about being girlfriends.”

“So, like a trial period?”

“That sounds terrible.”

Sunny shrugs. “I’m just calling it as I see it. You know me, I don’t fancify the truth.”

Taeyeon smiles. “That’s what I love about you.”

X

It feels different today. Taeyeon is more eager to leave after training. Instead of hanging around a little to chat with other players, she grabs her clothes, changes out into streetwear, and leaves right away.

The main catalyst of this change is the sugarbabe who is waiting for her at a cafe in town. She is easy to spot among the crowd inside. There’s just something about her that makes her stand out. An aura, a glow. Flashing a huge grin at her, Taeyeon moves to the round table and sits.

“Hey, sugarbabe.”

Tiffany raises a brow. “Are you sure this is your first ever date with a woman? You sound like you’ve been charming ladies for decades.”

Taeyeon shrugs with a chuckle. “This is what I’m like when I date someone. I was advised that dating a woman shouldn’t differ much from dating a man so I’m taking that advice and just being myself.”

With eyes full of approval, Tiffany nods. “That’s the right way to see it.” Then the look in her eyes turn cheeky. “I’m flattered that you consulted people for this. But who did you go to for advice?”

“Hyerim and Jihyun.”

“Not one but two? Wow, I’m really flattered you went to all that trouble over this.”

“They’re a couple. So it wasn’t really two. More like two-in-one.”

“Ooh . . . innuendo on our first date,” Tiffany drawls with a deliberately seductive smile. “I like the way you date.”

Anyway, they said to introduce you to them when we’re a thing so maybe we can go out on a double date sometime.”

“We’re a thing now?” Tiffany’s grin is pushing the limits of her lips. “Are we two-in-one too?” she cooes, taking Taeyeon’s hand and holding it between them.

“I don’t put out on a first date, Miss Tiffany.”

“But we’ve already spent two nights together, Miss Taeyeon.”

“But those weren’t dates.”

“And we’ve kissed once.”

“That was a dare.”

“So we’ve had two night stands and a kiss even before dating.” Tiffany is shaking with laughter. “This is a first for me.”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes and shakes off Tiffany’s hand. “Your mind is like the gutter. Why don’t you wash it out while I buy a cup of coffee.”

Tiffany leaps to her feet. “Let me buy it for you.”

“You don’t have to.”

“But I want to.” Tiffany pushes Taeyeon down by her shoulders. “Sit. I’ll buy. What do you want to drink?”

“Iced Americano.”

“Got it. Now, sit tight and admire me while I buy it for you.”

Taeyeon bursts out laughing. Tiffany is too much sugar.

X

Holding hands with Tiffany feels natural. The way their fingers interlace, the way they hold each other’s hand with just the right around of tension. Now that she thinks about it, they were already holding hands before and it had been comfortable too.

“Hey, isn’t this dress pretty?”

Taeyeon looks. It’s a red dress on a mannequin in the display window. Sleeveless with a v-neck and silky with flamboyant flair. Not unlike Tiffany in some ways. And it reminds her of the first time they met.

“It’s very nice.”

“y?”

“On you? Kinda.”

“In that case,” Tiffany tugs Taeyeon’s hand, “I’m buying it.”

“What? Seriously?” Taeyeon questions as she follows Tiffany into the boutique.

“Yeah, it reminds me of the dress I was wearing the night we kissed.”

“Oh my God.”

“Were you thinking the same thing?” Tiffany asks with a smirk.

“Yeah.”

“Great minds think alike.”

They come to a halt in front of the red dress on the rack. Tiffany takes it and heads to the fitting room with Taeyeon in tow.

“Wanna come in with me?”

“W-What? It’s okay, I’ll just stay out here.”

Tiffany chortles. “Look at that face. I was just kidding.”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “Hurry up and try it already.”

“Okay, Mom.”

Taeyeon hums and taps her foot while waiting. It’s not a long wait and before she knows it, she’s staring at a striking woman in red. The dress hangs well on Tiffany. It shows her figure without being too revealing and the broadness of Tiffany’s shoulders acts like the perfect hanger for it.

“Based on how you’re staring at me, I’m convinced I should buy this dress.”

“How am I staring at you?”

“Like I’m gorgeous.”

“Well, you are.”

Tiffany’s smile makes her eyes turn into little crescent moons. “I’ll wear this dress when I plan to kiss you,” she says while closing the door.

The last thing Taeyeon sees is Tiffany’s smile-turned-smirk before the door shuts. And she can’t help but smile. It’s hard not to when she’s this happy.

X