A Century

Pot Shot

“Who are you inviting to the charity match?” Sunny asks Taeyeon as they clean their cue sticks.

“Tiffany. But I haven’t asked her yet.”

“What about the guy we met a week ago?

“Yon?”

“Yes, Yon.”

“But I don’t even know him.”

Sunny rolls her eyes at Taeyeon. “The point is to get to know him.”

“I’d rather ask Tiffany.”

Sunny shrugs. “Your choice.”

X

Taeyeon checks her appearance in the mirror. Ponytail, check. Eyebrows, check. White crisp shirt, check. Navy blue waistcoat, check. Bowtie, check. Since it’s for charity, the press and media will be present but she isn’t dressing up just for them. She’s dressing up for someone else too and she hopes that someone will think she looks great.

X

Tiffany is slouched on her seat until Taeyeon appears. She perks up at the mention of the woman’s name through the sound amplification system and stares at the players’ entrance. This level of eagerness is suspect. She knows it but is unwilling to address it. On one hand, it is easy to flirt and speak boldly. But on the other, it isn’t as simple as assuming things will go smoothly without hitches.

For one, she has to consider the recipient. In this case, Taeyeon. Yuri has a point. She could be setting herself up for suffering. But at the same time, Taeyeon hasn’t shown any sign of discomfort. So what kind of conclusion can she draw from this?

To make a move or not to make a move?

Long, black hair in a ponytail. Clear skin featuring soulful eyes. Red pouty lips. Tiffany is taken by Taeyeon’s appearance and outfit today. The white shirt, navy blue waistcoat . . . and bowtie. She looks adorable in that bowtie!

Taeyeon is searching the audience so Tiffany waves. Their eyes meet and she is certain there is something there. The way Taeyeon lights up with a smile. The way Taeyeon seems to glow more. Is she reading it right? Or is she hallucinating?

This is a problem. And she needs to solve it soon. Before she drives herself crazy thinking about how soft Taeyeon’s touch was when she coached her snooker skills. That is if she doesn’t go crazy watching Taeyeon bending over the billiard table for the next couple of hours first.

Taeyeon steps up to the table to break and Tiffany finds her hands tightly clasped, rooting for her. Good break. Good break. Good break!

The sound of balls colliding fill the arena. Bouncing off the cushions, the cue ball ends up near where it came from. According to Taeyeon, this is a good break because the opponent will have a harder time potting a red.

Taeyeon’s opponent steps up to the table with a cue stick. Tiffany notes that she is attractive too. Long brown hair in a ponytail and big round eyes. A high nose and full red lips. Like Taeyeon, she has on a shirt, waistcoat and bowtie, only hers is all black, in different shades. The shot she takes lands the cue ball in a favourable position and Taeyeon takes full advantage, potting a red, followed by a blue, red, black, red, pink, red and another black before missing a difficult shot.

Taeyeon returns to her seat coolly and nibbles on her thumbnail as Seolhyun, the opponent, pots a red, black, another red, pink, and red.

Tiffany refrains from cheering when Seolhyun misses the black and she has to stop herself from clapping out of joy as Taeyeon takes to the table once again. Any form of noise or distraction is prohibited during the match and the last thing she wants it to break the rules at her very first match.

As more and more red balls begin to disappear from the table, Tiffany finds herself enjoying the match more and more as well. Contrary to what she thought, watching the match isn’t boring at all. In fact, she finds it as exciting as fast contact sports. It looks like she’s officially a snooker fan now.

X

One won frame later, Tiffany can’t help thinking how refreshing it is to know a person like Taeyeon. A paradox. Pretty but not girly. Tough but soft. Gentle but strong. Young on the outside but mature on the inside. She isn’t easy to pin down in any classic category and she surprises you at every corner turned.

Standing there in her cute bowtie, waistcoat ensemble, Taeyeon looks like a young lady who got lost and wandered in here by mistake. But the confidence she moves around the table with belies that appearance entirely. And the way she pots the balls with such accuracy and finesse is shockingly impressive. She would never have guessed that Taeyeon is this good if she hadn’t seen it for herself. And even now, she continues to be surprised by Taeyeon’s shots.

Finally, she is clapping along with the crowd as Taeyeon moves around the table after potting the last ball to secure her win. But Taeyeon is not done. She hasn’t missed a single shot yet and it looks like she’s going for more. A century, perhaps?

Tiffany holds her hands together and watches with bated breath as Taeyeon pots two more reds and blacks. Another red goes down. She is almost at a hundred points now. Just . . . one . . . more . . .

The arena bursts into applause and Tiffany claps as hard as she can for the woman who just got a century. Not only because it was a spectacular show of skill but also because the charity she represents will receive an additional hundred million won.

Taeyeon bends for another red, then the blue. The angle is awkward and she misses the pot but it’s alright. She has won and the charity is going home much richer tonight. Tiffany has never felt prouder for anyone.

X

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany throws her arms around the woman as soon as she walks out of the building. “You played so well tonight. I’m so proud of you.”

The smile on Taeyeon is shy and her voice is gruffy when she thanks Tiffany. “Did you enjoy the match?”

Tiffany nods earnestly. “Totally. Nail-biting exciting. I was constantly hoping Seolhyun will miss. I totally wanted to cheer when she did. Oh, and the rule that we can’t make loud noises. That’s the only irritating part. I literally need to stand up and scream and cheer but I’m stuck on my seat clapping with everybody else.”

Taeyeon laughs long and hard. “You’re hilarious.”

“From now on, you’re bringing me to these matches. I want to watch every single one of your matches. I want to be there when you win.”

“What if I don’t win?”

“I’ll still want to be there. You’ll need me to cheer you up.”

“Let’s be honest here. You just want to be there to see all the pretty players, right?”

“Not at all. Seolhyun is pretty but I only had eyes for you the entire time.”

Taeyeon clears . “Ah . . . right . . .”

Tiffany looks into Taeyeon’s eyes. “Does it make you uncomfortable?”

Taeyeon blinks before shaking her head. “No.”

“Do I make you uncomfortable?”

“No. Why are you asking?”

“I’m asking because you look uncomfortable.”

“I’m not. I appreciate your support a lot, honestly, I really do.”

“What if I tell you I have feelings for you? Will you be okay with that?”

“F-Feelings?”

Tiffany laughs as naturally as she can. “I have lots of feelings for the century you got tonight. You were like a heroine in there, going for the big break for charity.”

“Oh, the century . . .” Taeyeon’s smile is awkward as she shrugs. “I was just trying my best to get them more money.”

“I saw them interviewing you too. You’re quite the star player. I’m so proud of you.”

“You gotta stop with the praises. It’s becoming too much for me to handle.”

“Humble and down-to-earth . . .”

“Okay, please shut up now.”

“But you’re so pretty and you look so hot in your bowt–”

Tiffany doesn’t get to finish her sentence because Taeyeon’s palm is covering but the awkward moment has been averted.

This isn’t the right time. Not tonight.

X