because i can't help myself when it comes to you

Interference

"Heol, you're here again today?" Mimi speaks with slight disbelief when Nayoung enters her room.

"Listen to me, unnie," Nayoung plops herself down on Mimi's bed beside the latter.

"No," Mimi answers but moves to make way for Nayoung and seats herself up to pay attention anyway. 

Nayoung doesn't really care about Mimi's opinion (they haven't ever cared for each other's opinions, have they?), so she begins speaking her mind. "Haebin asked me the other day if I want to move in with her in the student hall. We did talk about it last night too."

"Omo jinjja? And what did you say?" by Mimi's tone, Nayoung can tell that Mimi's interest in the conversation is peaked.

"I said I'll think about it, and tell my parents," Nayoung plainly replies. 

"Speaking of which, why didn't you choose to stay in the student hall in the first place?" Mimi asks next. 

"Right, why didn't you?" Nayoung asks Mimi in return. 

"I'm asking you!" Mimi retorts but answers anyway, "I was actually there for my first year until I got my driving license."

"Ah, I knew that. Then why did you move back?" Nayoung asks in curiosity, wondering if they both hold the same reasons. 

"Are you going to answer me or not?" Mimi doesn't answer this time. 

"I thought of unnie and Sejeong," Nayoung earnestly responds, albeit withholding her cool tone. 

The girls fall silent for a moment.

"Actually, me too," Mimi swallows a gulp and answers.

Both girls feel goosebumps and a simple eye contact makes them burst into laughter. 

Nayoung lightly slaps Mimi's lap, "Hajima, unnie," she says amidst hearty chuckles. 

"Well, I had to send you and Sejeong to cram school anyway!" Mimi then maintains her strong front. 

Nayoung chuckles at Mimi's response. "Hey, the problem was Sejeong! I had zero issues with cram school."

"Right, you're a god," Mimi replies, pretty distastefully. 

"But let's admit, even though we hate each other, we're pretty important to each other, are we?"

"I don't hate you," Mimi answers, "and who says you're anything important to me?"

Nayoung smiles. She takes it as a yes anyway. 

 

・・・

 

1 new message from Yalmimi in '347': [you know guys i actually still have her number]

Nayoung diverts her attention from the drama she's been watching. [heol. daebak]

Kim Sedong: [daebak. You gotta contact her!!! Give her a text or something]

Nayoung sees that Mimi is typing something and looks away from her phone, leaving the chat open while going back to the drama as she waits for the message.

Yalmimi: [but what am I even supposed to say?]

Kim Sedong: [say you love her]

Yalmimi: [that's stupid]

Nayoung gasps and holds her breath. She cracks up laughing at herself after a short moment, silently thankful that the other two know nothing about her [I love you!] messages.

Nayoung begins typing a reply, [you should try calling her]

Yalmimi: [no that's crazy awkward]

Nayoung shakes her head and laughs. [like, just ring her up and see if she answers it or not you don't have to speak to her]

Kim Sedong: [so, you think she still has your number?]

Yalmimi: [probably]

Kim Sedong: [give it a try?]

Yalmimi: [yahh sejeong ah don't you have to study]

Kim Sedong: [can't study if y'all keep messaging anyway]

Nayoung's jaw drops when she sees the last message. She scoffs, though internally laughing in amusement. [so it's our fault?]

Kim Sedong: [but unnie's love story is pretty interesting kekeke]

Yalmimi: [go away you ahjussi]

Nayoung decides to ignore the comical situation,  [so unnie what are you going to do about it?]

Yalmimi: [i don't know]

Kim Sedong: [yahh we said call her]

Yalmimi: [did you just talk down on me]

Kim Sedong: [ah mianhae unnie kekeke ^^]

Yalmimi: [trash]

Kim Sedong: [unnieeee!!!]

Nayoung finds that the situation is no longer serious when the other two are already unable to stay focused on the original intention of the chat. She laughs at their messages, and returns to watching her drama. 

1 new message from Yalmimi in '347': [right nayoung ah so are you moving to the student hall?]

"Oh," Nayoung mutters when she sees the message. She figures she should make up her mind, but realises that half of her was already convinced the moment Haebin had asked her to move in. She sighs. [i guess so]

Kim Sedong: [nayoung unnie is moving to the student hall??? What about our math on mondays]

Nayoung softly chuckles. [mimi unnie will drive me back. or you can come over]

Kim Sedong: [heol I'll go over!!!!]

Yalmimi: [kim Sejeong you are one weirdo]

Yalmimi: [but yeah she's moving in with haebinnie]

Kim Sedong: [oohhh the one unnie kissed. this sounds interesting]

Nayoung furrows her eyebrows when she sees the last message. [yahh kim sejeong! what on earth are you thinking about]

Nayoung attempts to make herself clear once again, [and it was NOT a kiss.]

But despite Sejeong's words being simply a tease, Nayoung knows that it isn't going to be all smooth-sailing for her when she moves in with Haebin. She knows that she's in for trouble with her mind already clouded by her feelings for Haebin. 

Still, the thought of seeing Haebin every day and night entices her. 

 

・・・

 

Mimi sits alone at her table, her fingers restlessly tapping against the surface, while her mind wanders. She remains pondering about Nayoung and Sejeong's suggestion to give a certain high school junior named Shin Bora a call. 

Sure Bora was more than a high school junior to her, but at the current moment, Mimi wishes to keep it as that to prevent herself from falling in too deep all over again. 

But Mimi knows now as the memories are flowing back to her after meeting her again and having read her diary from the old days, Mimi needs to face what's between them, and what she had done. With a deep breath, Mimi thinks she's ready, despite fearful. 

Mimi forces her lips into a smile and recalls the scene before her when she had seen Bora at Itaewon. 

Mimi opens up the chat with Bora absentmindedly, and with a sigh reads through old messages. She notices that the last time they've ever interacted was Mimi wishing the other happy birthday last year, for before that Bora had actually wished her two years ago but Mimi did not in that year. 

Mimi's lips form a bitter smile. She remembers that year when she was trying hard to forget Bora, after the kiss that happened during her high school graduation that year. Mimi isn't sure why she had really wanted to avoid it forever, by forgetting Bora as if she had never entered Mimi's life, but Mimi thinks it's because she was afraid of how Bora was taking it. Mimi's still worried about that, but Mimi thinks it was nice that it happened, that her life is forming up to be a nice story, albeit slightly (or rather largely) messy. 

Bora too was beautiful, was she? And she still is, Mimi's lips are now displaying a smile, no longer forced, though a fairly sad one, yet one that is grateful. Mimi found Bora to be beautiful all over, in and out. Her heart warms at that thought. Mimi flushes to recall that her heart had experienced a similar emotion when meeting her again on Friday. 

Bora's voice too, was sweet and soft to Mimi's ears. Mimi remembers Bora comforting her whenever she was down or furious, calmly speaking to her to help Mimi take her mind off anything perpetually annoying or disturbing, laughing with her and making her smile. Bora's laughter rings at the back of Mimi's mind, and Mimi knows that she has missed it. 

No longer tense, Mimi's fingers find their way and make a call to the contact saved as Shin Bo Ra Nae Hana (it still makes her laugh, but it was something they both agreed on), and Mimi waits rather patiently with her mobile phone against her ear. 

Mimi counts the number of times it rings. 

"Yeoboseyo?" a soft, shaking voice answers after seven rings. 

 

author's notes: i kinda liked the first scene hehe the friendship between mimi unnie and naong is a pretty fascinating one and i'm actually envious of nayoung i wished i had a mimi in my life hahaha and yes we finally hear a little from our shin bora!! "nae hana" (내 하나) means "my one" it's quite a lame pun i know HAHA i'm sorry,,, but since her stage name is hana i felt i shd do smth hehe welll there's my last update of the year. it's been a nice year of writingggg hehe esp the past month i wrote a lot (maybe because school's out) and that was q therapeutic. see y'all in 2018!!!