because you fill my thoughts with 'us'

Interference

"The next session is on Friday, so don't forget everything I've taught today by then," as Park ssaem speaks, students have already begun keeping their notes and packing up, while some hardworking ones are still scribbling last minute notes.

Amidst the noise, Nayoung stops any movement when Haebin turns to pack up and her hair swifts across as she does so. 

Nayoung's trembling pupils are fixated on Haebin, as the latter attentively arranges her belongings in a bag. When Haebin stands up, Nayoung's eyes follow. 

Haebin turns to her and they make eye contact once again. Nayoung is startled out of her daze. 

"I'll have to get going," Haebin says, "Nice meeting you again," Haebin smiles. 

"You have someplace to be?" Nayoung blurts the question out. 

Haebin, stumped, nods her head. 

"Ani it's nothing," Nayoung shakes her head and waves her hand at Haebin, turning away. She combs her falling hair to the back of her head with her fingers and starts packing her belongings up. 

Nayoung sighs, having wished to get more of this reunion. 

"Haebin ah!" she raises her head and calls out when a thought strikes her. "Wait," she stretches out a hand. 

"Yeah?" Haebin turns back to face her again. 

"Do you..." Nayoung is slightly hesitant. She her lips and attempts again, "Do you have a handphone number? Or is that email still working?"

"I..." Haebin's eyes are trailing away. Nayoung holds her breath. 

"I haven't used that email for a long while," Haebin answers plainly, "but I have a handphone number."

Haebin stretches out a hand. Nayoung is confused, but after a while understands.

"Ah," Nayoung immediately unlocks her phone and gets to the dial pad. She turns it around and places it on Haebin's palm. 

Haebin flashes a small smile at Nayoung, and dials in her number. 

"I'll get going," Haebin says when she returns the phone to Nayoung. 

Nayoung doesn't even get to give a farewell, as she remains stumped by the words displayed on her mobile phone. 

"Oo... Ri... Haebinnie?" Nayoung reads, then covers her agape mouth.

With a heart emoji at the back? Heol.  

 

・・・

 

Nayoung remembers how they first became friends. Nayoung admits, she did that really because she had found Haebin to be a nice person but did not know how to make friends. Nayoung has always been a pretty reserved person before strangers anyway. Nayoung thinks she should've been out of her mind, when she sent that mail at night. She had actually, literally, sent a mail saying I love you! with no reason or whatsoever. To some kid in her new class she barely knows. And to think that Nayoung was the one who had approached the recipient on whether she had received such a message, because there was no reply. Of course there wouldn't be any reply, it was simply absurd. Every single time Nayoung recalls that mail, she'd squeeze her eyes shut and facepalm in embarrassment. 

Which is exactly what she's doing right now, in the middle of an almost empty college cafeteria with nothing to do while waiting for her next task, which is merely just to get home with a certain loser called Jung Mimi and along the way make sure that rascal of her cousin named Kim Sejeong does not skip cram school. 

"Heol, why am I thinking of that now," Nayoung squeezes her eyes shut again while running her fingers through her hair and asks herself, but she clearly knows why and knows that it's only natural for these memories to flow back into her mind when meeting her again. 

Her phone rings and she answers it immediately. "Yahh Yalmimi, where are you? I've been here for almost an hour-"

"It's unnie! How many times must I remind you that I'm older than you? Eesh," the voice on the other side of the line harshly cuts her off. "I'm held back for a while, Ahn ssaem is suddenly throwing us a huge stack of articles for us to sort," Mimi explains. 

Nayoung stifles a laughter. "Who told you to join the press club," she scoffs.

"I mean- I was dragged in for majoring in journalism!" Nayoung narrows her eyes at the deafening sound from the speaker. 

Nayoung chuckles. "Whatever suits you. Hurry your up, or we might be late to pick Sejeong up."

"You should get your license quick so I wouldn't need to be the one driving her all the time. Three times a week! Ah jinjja," Mimi continues grumbling. Nayoung laughs again at how their phone calls are filled with rantings to each other though half the time they're only supposed to inform each other on their whereabouts and situations. 

"I'm halfway through!" Nayoung whines a reply. 

"See you later," Mimi finally says. "Ten minutes! I promise!"

"You better!" Nayoung gives a reply of similar tone and the call ends. She snickers softly as she puts her phone down, and locks the screen before looking up and releases a sigh. Ten minutes, she blinks.

"Hello," she is then greeted by a can of green tea and a warm voice. Nayoung looks up to see Haebin beaming at her.

"Why are you here?" Nayoung asks, surprised.

"I saw you alone, and saw too that the vending machine was selling this and decided we should have a drink," Haebin remains smiling as she seats herself down across Nayoung.

"You remember this," Nayoung laughs and feels her heart warm up as she opens the can. "I don't even drink this a lot anymore now that I've turned legal," Nayoung says before bringing the can to her lips.

"Well, we can't be drinking actual alcohol within the campus," Haebin reasons and chuckles.

Nayoung smiles to herself and looks down, still overwhelmed that Haebin remembers. 

"Of course I'd remember, you said half the reason why you loved this cold, unsweetened canned green tea so much because drinking from a can makes you feel like you're drinking beer," Haebin says before taking another sip.

"We haven't had our drink together yet," Nayoung says softly, her nostalgic smile remaining on her lips. Nayoung's eyes watches as Haebin drinks from the can. Is she taller than me now? Nayoung asks in her head. Nayoung remembers having been the taller one. 

"Ah, the one we promised on when we turn legal," Haebin nods her head, "Let's have it soon."

Nayoung doesn't know if she's going to answer Haebin, but her phone vibrates on the table. 1 new message from Yalmimi: I'm done! Make your way to the carpark now or I'll drive off without you.

Nayoung clicks her tongue and grabs her phone.

"Mimi unnie?" Haebin curiously asks. "I remember her. Sejeongie too," she continues.

Nayoung awkwardly reciprocates the smile. She stands up and straps her bag over her shoulder, "I've got to go."

Haebin smiles at her. "Bye," she waves at her.

 

・・・

 

The car ride is silent, but Nayoung doesn't realise the peculiarity and remains drowned in her thoughts.

She wonders if she'll meet Haebin again.

Of course you'll see her again, Nayoung tells herself, in that Superposition lecture.

But Nayoung sure wants more than that. 

Has she been missing Haebin, in these lost years? Nayoung wonders, and ponders about the past few years.

Oh right, Nayoung recalls, that she now has her phone number. Maybe they can text as often as they used to mail each other every night. 

"You were drinking that again," Mimi decides to break the silence.

"Ah, yeah," Nayoung mumbles. Her thoughts remain on Haebin.

Wait, am I missing her already?

Nayoung sighs, which baffles the driver even more. 

Nayoung inwardly chides herself, and hits herself on the forehead with her hand.

"What's up with you?" Mimi turns away from the steering wheel when they approach a red light.

"Aish, be quiet," Nayoung responds with a slightly irritated look on her face. She turns around and sighs.

How she wishes that was more than ten minutes.

 

author's notes: yes, nayoung's character very much takes after me as i write as if it's me. so her habits and experiences and whatnot may have been mine, or those of which i've desired. that's why i love writing anyway, hahaha. hope the story's been nice so far ^^ i really really appreciate that you're reading this story that i'm writing from the bottom of my heart ♡