-- Innocence --

It Has to be You (A Short Story)

 

" Everything is not right. " I ghastly told myself. Then I look to Chaerin and next to Mr. Choi. 
" So, Ms. Park, show me the sketch. "
" Mr. Choi, something is not right. But, I know I am doing the right thing. "
" You're doing the right thing?!!... of trying to kill me, is that it? " he spoke, playing the displayed figurine on Dara's table. 
" No! It's not what I meant. " I burst out.
" So, what? " 
" Someone who changed the sketch. The foundations I added in each corner were gone. " explaining it to him seems hard since I feel that my explanations were so flimsy to him. 
" How can I believe you? " I see into his eyes that he is so serious which could make me feel scared. 
" Believe me, Mr. Choi. I am telling the truth. "
" Well... " he sighed and stood from his chair. "... see you in the court. "
" What?! " Mr. Choi left me dazed and with an empty mind.  Why? Why did it happened to me? Tears formed onto my eyes. I sobbed. " It's alright, Bommie. Everything has a solution. We can help you out. " concerned Dara said, tapping my shoulders gently. " Thanks, Dara. " I sobbed again. I walked closer to Mr. Jung and something want to ask to him. " Mr. Jung, what does Mr. Choi means? "
" Maybe he already agreed and decided to make a case on you, Ms. Park. The thing that had happened to him right now, may possibly get you into jail. " Mr. Jung sincerely exclaimed in front of me with discouragements on his face. " But... " slowly tears fall down on my cheeks. " I am very much disappointed with you, Ms. Park. I am sorry to fire you. " 
" What? Are you serious, Mr. Jung? "
" I'm sorry. " he bowed his head and gaited along the way. 
" But, Mr. Jung! You can't fire me up. Mr. Jung! Mr. Jung! " I shouted as my tears fall down harder. It breaks my heart to hear those words. I can't believe it. Why? " Chaerin. " I looked to her. Chaerin didn't respond, she drew back to me. Does she going to neglect me? What about our friendship? I even cried harder, running all the way out to the company. I have to fix things out. I didn't done anything wrong. I am innocent. And especially I don't want to hurt my clients.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By morning, I went back to my old condo unit. I sighed. What a terrible night that had happened to me. I thought I chose the best one, but it's the worst one I didn't know. " Urgh! " I muttered, touching my injured arm a bit. I finally made up my mind, it's the thing to agree a case on Park Bom. I feel so sorry, but, it's her fault anyway. She's the reason why I turned out like this. And why did she do that to me, by the way? I didn't done anything bad to her. I sighed in repeat, slumping my body on the sofa.Kring...kring...kring.... My phone rang aloud in a sudden. I then restlessly picked it up beside me and placed it on my ear. " Hello? "
" Seunghyun, this is Lee Jan Seuk. " a husky voice on the line spoke immediately. 
" Manager Lee, it's you. What's the news all about? " 
" Don't worry. I'm done talking to the reporters about your situation right now, explaining it all about your bruises and injured arm. But, are you sure I'm going to tell that it's your interior designer's fault? "
" Yes, Manager Lee. And I'm reminding you, she's not my interior designer anymore, understand? " I sound so rude, but then I'm used to it especially when I lose my temper. I put the phone down without saying goodbye to him. " Urgh. " I uttered again, agonizing in pain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know what I'm doing right now.  I've already decided to go to Mr. Choi's condo unit, apologizing and explaining it everything to him. I never intend to do something wrong with my clients; never. If I love my job, I also love my clients. And especially, it's not on my vocabulary to kill my clients. I'm not a killer. 

I was rushing to go there. I don't want to waste such time. Time is running, right? And I have to get my job back as soon as possible. As far as you don't know, I'm the breadwinner in the family. If they need anything they'll ask it to me. They need me; they said. My niece also needs me, because I'm the one who pays her tuition. Until now, they still don't know about my situation, that Mr. Jung had fired me up. I just do hope that Mr. Choi won't spread this to the media.

Soon, I got there. I took a long deep breathes first, facing the door and was preparing myself before I knock inside. " Hooo.... I hope Mr. Choi is in here. " I supplicated, closing my eyes and clenching my bag with my hand tight. I guess I'm confident enough. For the truth, Bommie. Quickly knocking on the door with full of determination. It didn't take so long for Mr. Choi to open it. He was surprised a bit. " What are you doing here? " glumly he asked. 
" Mr. Choi, I am here to--- "
" --- If I am not mistaken, you're here to apologize, right? " he butted out without emotions on his face. I was speechless for a second. " If that's the reason why you were here then, I'm sorry. You can go. " closing the door directly he did. " Wait! " I begged, forcing to stop him. " You're not mistaken, but there's lacking, Mr. Choi. I am also here because I am fighting for the truth. " 
" What truth do you have, Ma. Park? " a sarcastic Seunghyun I was facing right now.
" First and foremost, I am not a kind of person who wants to try to kill his clients. Mr. Choi, yes, I admit it. That I am running out of evidences. But, if I have a chance to borrow my eyes on you, how could I refuse, Mr. Choi if that's the only way for you to know the truth the lies ahead on it... " I was plain and serious as I was telling it all to him. And I wish these will work. "... please./ Believe me, Mr. Choi. "
" Get out. "
" B-- but, Mr. Choi. Are you not convinced? I'll explain again if you want--- "
" --- I said, get. " his voice were getting louder.
" Mr. Choi. " I pleaded that it could made me want to kneel on him.
" Get out!! " and that big voice of his could make me feel totally shut down. I feel terrified. He's like a monster when he's mad. " I won't give up, Mr. Choi. " tears formed into my eyes with a sullen voice as I replied. I lowered my head and drifted through the hall way. I really won't give up. It's not on my blood. I will fight for the truth. Until we meet in the court. Truth is always the truth. Don't cry, Bommie. Don't cry. Keep fighting. " Hold your head up high. " whispered words I let out, suppressing my tears not to fall. 
" Fighting. " I clenched my fingers onto my palm and encouraged my feelings to be strong. That's it. Be strong, Bommie. You can do it. 

The breeze of the winter spreads all around. It's so cold. Maybe my coat can't take it. Omo. Please, not now. I am standing here outside of the condominium's building, waiting patiently. I know there's no reason for me to go home right now. I'm just wasting my time. " Phoo... " I took a breath, bubbling my cheeks as the smoke of the cold winter comes out. It's really cold, eh. I wrapped my arms around my body and rubbed it harshly. " I won't leave here until you won't accept my explanations, Mr. Choi. No matter what happens. " I talked to myself while getting the phone inside my bag. Dialing Mr. Choi's number and was trying to call him. Too bad when the answering machine only responds to my call. I have no choice, but to leave a voice message instead. " Ya. Mr. Choi, I am standing right now in front of the building you're staying. If you can see me down here, good. I didn't leave. I am waiting for you... to accept my explanations, Mr. Choi. "  That ends my message to him. I was sincere. Hoping that there's still kindness left in his heart. But all I want is that, he's going to believe me. I sneezed suddenly. " Aigoo. Just a little sacrifice, Bommie. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dozed-off on my sofa without nothing to worry about. A sudden call rings. I get it beside me with my eyes still closed, and opened it then when I look to it. 1 New Voice Message Received... Are words appeared on my phone's screen, blinking several times. I closed my eyes again and pressed the accept button. I tried to listen to it. " Ya. Mr. Choi... " Hastily, I wake up. It's Ms. Park's voice, isn't it? "... I am standing right now in front of the building you're staying. If you can see me down here, good. I didn't leave. I am waiting for you... to accept my explanations, Mr. Choi. " the voice message had ended then. I put my phone back to its place. Stood from the sofa and tries to look for her from my glass window. I scraped off something in the window to see her. There she is. I can't definitely see her clearly but, I can see her standing form up here like a dot. I don't know what's her plan. But she's really waiting. " Tch! You stubborn lady. " I whispered, typically with upper lip curled. I didn't care. I drew off my sight out of her, and went fast asleep in my room.

The next morning, I wake up with shivered body. I wrapped myself with thick sweater then goes to the kitchen to make some hot brewed coffee. Luckily, my arm went healed and I can stretch it whenever I want. Afterwards, I tried to check Ms. Park if she's still down there or not. I scraped off something in my window again whilst drinking my hot brewed coffee in a mug. I'm just assuring myself. But, it's impossible if she's still standing and waiting there. It's too cold to be outside. I know she can't make it. " Tch! I know you already left, Ms. ---- " I was astonished. She's still there crouching as she wraps herself tight. " Aish! " I problematically whispered. I swiftly went back to my room to change my outfit with a thick leather coat that covers around my body and bring another thick coat along with me for Ms. Park. Running along the way to the outside to see her. Soon I got there, I saw her still crouching and shaking form cold. People passed by never forced their selves not to look at her. She looks like a bum. I took a long deep breath firts before I went close to her. Then I drift myself towards Ms. Park. 
" Ya. " I spoke in a rude manner, putting the coat around her body. Double protection form the cold weather. She never face me, but she replied saying, " At-- last you-- you-- came. You can't-- take-- take it-- don't-- you-- Mr.---- "
" Ssshhh... you're trembling. And you can still manage to speak, eh. " I interrupted. Crouched my legs in front of her. " I-- I--- " she talked again even if it's too difficult to her. 
" Ssshhh... " I hushed. " Come with me. so that you can rest. " I didn't let her talk again, because I quickly carried her on my back carefully, didn't minding about my newly healed arm. I've touched some parts of her body; hands, her face, and even her jacket, it's really cold. It seems like I've touched a dead body. I'm just confused on how did she survived from this cold weather for a long hour. I'm so sorry, Bom. But right now, I just don't know what to do. Whether I will still continue the case, or will quit about it. I just don't know how true you are, Bom. But you really fight for the truth you know that I didn't know. And you never give up even if it's too risky for you. I heard her snorting. " You're really tired. " I whispered, putting her down on my bed. " I'm sharing my bed for you. " settling myself down beside her while I stared to her. I tried to reach my finger on her face to caress it just a bit, but I doubt. But then I never suppressed myself to doubt, I caressed her face with my finger. It's so cold. I lowered my head and clenched my finger onto my palm, flinching to the other side. Still I have my conscience. " I'm so sorry, Bom. It's my fault why you turned out like this. If I just listen to you, you've never been so cold and empty. I'm so sorry. " whole-heartedly I apologize myself to Bom. I face back to her, and hold hands tight together with my both hand. " Forgive me. " I bowed my head down. Forgive me for I must continue the case on you, Bom. I finally made up my mind. and my decision is clear enough. " I'm so sorry to call you this. But you look so pathetic. " I released my hands over her hands and twitched to the other path. This is all I could manage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the coast was clear, I opened my eyes and fell out of crying. My tears fell down but I make no sound. I feel that he's really sure to continue the case over me. And I guess I can never change his mind. I understand. " If that's what you want, then I'll continue to fight over you, Mr. Choi. " I rise myself on bed and prepared. there's no reason for me to stay any longer here. The coat that he covered on me, I put it back on his bed. I picked a paper and a pen in my bag to write a letter for him before I leave.

After which, I absconded form his condo. This is our fight. I must to win this case. I must not be a loser in this fight, because the truth is mine. I plainly walk on the sideways in this very cold weather, embracing my body tight with my arms.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I came back inside my room, all I can see on my bed is just only my coat. She secretly escaped away form me. I sighed. I went close to my bed and fix my coat properly when suddenly a paper fall. I was curious what it is because it was folded so well. I picked it up and opened it then. When I saw it, I read it directly.

I'm sorry to hear what you have talked about me, Seunghyun. = )
If you say I'm pathetic, thank you. I'm just fighting for the truth. And please don't say your sorry. If you\ll still continue the case on me, I understand. Because I will fight back and keep on telling the truth. Mr. Choi, I am innocent...

I lit my face up and folded the back, throwing it on my bed. And breath deeply as I can. How can I assure myself if you're really saying the truth, Ms. Park? Also, I don't know her that much. " Urgh!! Why did this happened to me now?!! " I screeched, flopping my body on my body. If this weren't happened, I might be free right now and busy with my schedules. It's just a bad timing. If I not just chose her as my interior designer, this could never be happened for the both of us. I can't make the time back. I guess this is just how my life works. As long as I am alive. And I won't let it happen again, that someone will take my life away in a wrong time.

I sighed and pouted my lips.