-- Lucky Bom --

It Has to be You (A Short Story)

 

I woke up on my bed and yawned weakly. Still, my eyes closed while stretching my arms widely. I rubbed my eyes and opened it then. I blinked several times and was startled by the bright morning light streaming through my window pane. I paused for a moment and... uttered breathlessly. Swiftly, I jumped out of bed and goes near to my calendar. A capitalized letter of the month I clearly looked on my calendar. JULY 2011. I checked the exact date today using my finger, running it down through the day today and zoinks! " Twenty-four?! " my eyes bulged while I was completely shocked. I already forgot that today is the special day for us employers. " Yes! " I happily shouted and quickly prepared myself for the said event, running and jumping around my room.
 
By the way, I'm Park Bom, but my friends used to call me Bommie, and I like it. I was working in a big company in Seoul; the Jung Min Group Company. I'm an interior designer, a frustrated interior designer. I don't know why frustrated, I just feel that I like it. I'm totally crazy, if you don't know, but taking me to the mental hospital is not a good idea. I so love corns! I'm crazy over corns. And I lived in a condo.
 
Four missed calls from Lee Chaerin as I looked to it, rubbing my wet hair with my towel. I was just wondering why she called me four times. " Maybe she's just excited for today. " I sighed, putting down the phone on my sofa. Pacing through the dressing room and begins to choose whatever fits to me. Lee Chae Rin is my workmate in the company, plus my so good best friend ever! Since in the year 2007, didn't you know that?! It's been four years. Wow. I'm so impressed and so happy for us. She's the best!
" Whoo. This is good. " I said to myself on the mirror, checking the short dress if it fits. At last, I found the perfect one. I wear my black mixed with white fitting short cardigan dress and a pair of shiny red four and a half inch heels. Then off I go...
 
When I managed to go there in the company where I worked, people already gathered their selves up on the said meeting area. I searched on Chaerin, gazing around each of the corners. But I didn't see her. Suddenly, somebody pokes at my back many times. I tried to check it and... what a surprise. " Chaerin! " I giggled in a whispering voice. 
" Ssshhh.... " she hushes. " Why are you taking up so long? " whispered Chaerin. " You know me, taking up so long when choosing dresses. " I admitted, shrugging my shoulders. " Aigoo. I'm used to your personalities, Bommie. Well, let's just stop for a moment and listen to our boss in front of us. " my best friend fleetingly spoke up with widened black chinky eyes. She really loves putting thick mascara and an eyeliner on her eyes. That's her asset. And I love putting that way as well. 
 
The atmosphere that surrounds us in the area was so breath-taking. I felt nervous about myself. I don't know, but I think I wanted to be promoted as well. I sighed. Of course, everybody wants to be promoted, especially when you're almost seven years in the company you're working. Honestly, I'm really doing good this year. Many projects I received via to our clients' decisions. And I do hope it will come true.
" Good morning, everyone! " our boss greeted us first before he will start the event.
" Good morning to you, too, Mr. Jung! " we greeted  back in unison, bowing our heads as a sign of respect.
" I know all of you here are so love this morning. Naturally, it's promoting time. I am deeply glad that none of you here won't dare to miss this event. And today, I am going to announce that there will be only one person who will be promoted... " 
Everyone's reaction were scattering all over. We all got shocked and could hardly believe. Seems like, we nearly lose hope. And it only means... it's impossible for me to get pick. I lowered my head with a saddened face, and breathing deeply is all I could managed to do for me to ease disappointment. 
" ... Don't worry, everyone, I won't fire you all if there's only one who will get promoted. " Mr. Jung chuckled, putting his hands inside his pocket. He has a point, though. I sighed. I went back listening even if I'm not that person Mr. Jung talking to.
" Alright! So, I won't take this for too long. Time is running. Now, I am very proud for that person. The best. Congratulations to you... " Everything around us is so intense. I feel more nervous when Mr. Jung paused to thrill the moment. The moment of truth is here finally. I remained standing without anything to do, wandering my eyes around on everyone's reaction. I think I already lose hope. But for Chaerin who was beside me, still hoping and waiting that she's that person, crossing her fingers together and prayed for her name with eyes' closed many times.
" Congratulations to you... "
I snuffled for it's difficult for me to breath. " aigoo. " I silently whispered.
" Congratulations to you, Ms. Park Bom! You've got promoted as the new Head Officer of Interior Designing! " 
I was startled with eyes bulging half. I can't believe. I can't believe! I feel bewildered and speechless and... have nothing to say. Everybody around me feels so happy and excited more than me as they clap their hands loudly altogether. 
" You've got promoted! You've go promoted! Congratulations, Bommie! " Chaerin shook my shoulders merrily with a wide curve on her face.
" Chae-- Chaerin, is this true? " I stammered glumly. I feel like a statue with feet still rooted on the floor.
" Of course! This is true, Bommie. "
" Ms. Park, see you a your new office later on. Congratulations once again. " Mr. Jung our chairman went near to me as he hold my hand and shook it with full of gratitude. Bu, why is he thanking me? Then he walks along to his office. I take a long deep breathes. " So, pack your things now and move to your new office. " Chaerin finally reminded. I nodded, still, feel nervous. I just don't know how to express my feelings right now. But I am much happy to myself! I want to burst out my happiness. Whoo!
 
I quickly packed my things up inside my blue box with an evanescent smile. " Congratulations, Bommie! " Dara blurted out surprisingly. " Oh! Dara, thank you so much. " I responded, putting the filed documents inside the box. Dara Park is my new good friend also. She's funny and a happy-go-lucky person. When Chaerin is not, we're the partners in crime. She's cute , having a short curly chest nutted hair, and with a fascinated face feature. " I'm so happy for you, Bommie! " she cuddled me tight. " Oh. How can I thank you, Dara? " I cuddled back which I paused for packing things up.
" Ya. Dara, let Bommie finish these things first before you act like that in front of her, understand? " Jiyong interrupted, carrying a pile of papers for the Department Head. 
" Ah. Ne, oppa. " my friend startled.
" Congratulations again, Bommie! I have to go.  " he bade and drift to another place. This couple were so sweet, eh?
 
The moment i reached the office, I mean my new office, is the moment I felt gratified for myself. I so love these feelings I feel right now. You really worked hard and out so many efforts for it and thus... a promotion as the new Head Officer. That was so impressive! " New Head Officer. Ms. Park Bom. " settled myself down the chair and tried to feel the atmosphere that surrounds my new office. I feel it. This is it! This is it! This is the feeling I've been looking for almost seven years! And now, I finally found it! 
" You've made it, Bom! You've made it! " I burst out over and over. " Thank, God! " I giggled with so much happiness.
 
 
July twenty-five year 2011, Monday, the very first day of my work as a new Head Officer. I humbly walk myself along the hallway, holding my shoulder bag. I bowed back my head and flashed a smile when some employers would greet me. This is so fun! This is what I am dreaming when I was an ordinary employer before. I know I'm not used to it. But soon, I'm going to get used to it. I put down my bag as I sat myself on the chair. And, here I start.

Abruptly, my phone rang aloud as it receives an important call; ah, I think. I picked it up inside my bag and the button to accept the call. " Hello? " I asked while handling it over my ear. " Hello, Ms. Park? This is Mr. Jung. How's your new position? and your new office? how was it? " Mr. Jung the chairman cheerfully questioned me back. 
" Oh! It's so amazing, wonderful, and so happy about it, Mr. Jung. Thank you so much! "
" Oh! It is me who should be thankful to have you in this company, Ms. Park. And, can you please come over to my office right away, Ms. Park? "
" Ah. Alright, Mr. Jung. No problem. "

I then ran along into Mr. Jung's office, wondering why he called me to go there. But then again, I moved fast and soon reached his office. As I arrived there, opening the door slowly, I saw Mr. Jung standing with a glass of wine in his hand and was talking to someone. " Ehem... " I cleared my voice while closing the door, and it caught their attention. " I'm so sorry. " I promptly said my apologize. " Oh! Ms. Park, you're now here. Come. Come over. " Mr. Jung spread his arms as he signed me to come. And I did.
" I want you to meet Mr. Choi Seunghyun. " chairman introduced me to the person he's talking to a while. I looked to him , and he looked back at me with those innocent tantalizing eyes. He looks so familiar. Choi Seunghyun
" Ah! " I snapped out. He was startled with my actions. " Choi seunghyun the prominent model in Seoul! " the chairman and the guy chuckled their selves out in noise. 
" Right. Right, Ms. Park. And Mr. Choi, she's Ms. Park Bom. " 
" Nice to meet you, Ms. Park. " I suppose to bow down my head but he hold my hand instead and kissed it in all of a sudden. I was a bit surprised and was speechless. I thought guys with well-mannerism were all gone these days. But there's still left. 
" Mr. Choi has something important to tell you. "
" Eh? " But, I thought it was Mr. Jung who has something important to tell me. I sighed. Alright. No more demands. Bom. " I saw your designs in a famous magazine. And it amazed me. I am here because  I want to tell you in personal that, I am choosing you to be my designer for my house... " 
" What?! " I butted out.
" ... Ah. Actually, the sketch is not finish yet. " 
" No. No, it's okay. But, are you sure you're choosing me? "
" Y-- Yes. " he stuttered.

Omo. Omo! This is too much to ask. I never expected how lucky I am this year. Gosh! Omo! Thank, God! My luck turned so good today since form yesterday. Maybe my Creator felt very pity on me in the past few days. And this is what he paid for me. Oh! God, I think this is too much. But thank you so much again and again. " Mwaahhh... " I sweetly whispered, motioning my lips that I kiss Him with full of imaginations inside my mind.
" Ah. Ms. Park? " Mr. Jung's voice questionably asked.
" ah! " I was startled harshly. " I'm sorry. " bowing my head on the both of them. 
" Well, are you going to accept my request? " the guy Mr. Choi in a white-checkered turtle neck attire said. 
" Oh! No worries, Mr. Choi. I'm definitely accepting your request. No problem. Trust me. " I blabbered in sense, assuring Mr. Choi that everything will be done good and will embellish it with all my might.
" Thank you. " a pure smile lites up on his smooth face which made me feel glistened to its sparkles appeared on his teeth. Gosh. I melt.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
 
Sorry for the super late update.
Hope you like it! ^_^
Enjoy.
God bless!
Saranghamnida.