RAIN

The Purpose of Our Lives

Most people associate rainy days with sadness and gloom. A day to avoid going out at any cost. But not me. I love grey skies. The splatter of rain against my window, the petrichor that lifts all my worries away and makes me feel a connection to the nature I fail to feel with people. One may mistake me to be the kind of person who forgets her worries and bathes freely in the rain. But I've never been the type that could put myself out there like that, my thoughts exposed and my feelings pouring one with the rain. No. I'm the type to observe from afar. To dwell in the background, away from judgmental eyes. Its not that I'm afraid to be judged by people. I'm just too tired to deal with questions. I've been tired for a long time.
I sat on the stairs outside the school, my eyes busy studying the patterns of the grey sky. The school was almost empty as it was late in the evening. I was too content to will myself to go home. I could spend hours just, breathing in the pleasant scent of the wet ground.
I was so engrossed in my thoughts that, at first, I didn't even sense someone's presence behind me. It was only when I felt him take a seat beside me that I glanced to my right, only to find myself looking at a forlorn Jungkook, his eyes stuck to the sky as if he couldn't get enough of it. 
It was after what seemed like forever that he spoke up and I willed myself to stop staring at him. "Beautiful, isn't it?", he gestured at the sky. I just nodded, unsure if I could speak just yet. "God, its weird how at moments I am awestruck at the beauty of this world, and at other times I feel nothing but hatred towards it.", he sighed. "That's how humans are. They feel happy as long as the world works according to them, but immediately hate anything that poses a threat or a challenge in their lives.", I added in a quiet voice. When I received nothing but silence in return, I looked in his direction, afraid that my bluntness might've scared him away. But I found him staring intently at me with confused eyes and a bemused smile.
"Sorry, um, was that too much?", I inquired in a sheepish voice. He shook his head and sighed, "Actually, that was exactly what I needed to hear." " If its any consolation, I also have a love-hate relation with this world.", I added, staring straight ahead. I could feel his gaze on my face and instantly, a blush crept up my neck. So, I was glad when he spoke up again.
"I heard about your moms suicide.", he said as if he had been contemplating whether to bring it up or not. " It must've been hard on you. I'm sorry.", he added in a small voice. I scoffed, "Why are you sorry? You weren't the one who abandoned your family just because you were too scared to face your own ing problems. You weren't the one who couldn't think of anyone but yourself even at the time of your death." He narrowed his eyes, "Okay, so you think killing yourself is taking the easy way out? Imagine being in such a hopeless state that ending your own life seems like the only solution. Imagine having to willingly say goodbye to your family, knowing you couldn't do anything for them, knowing what turmoil their death would cause to their lives, but still having no option. Its much more difficult that you think, so you should think twice before labelling someone a coward." I shook my head, "There's always a solution." He countered, "Not all stories are happy endings. Some are just meant to be tragedies." We went down on a staring contest, neither of us willing to back down. It was when the school guard told us to go home that we realized how dark it had gotten. 
We should go home., I suggested the obvious as we both got up. I haven't had this much fun while talking to someone in a while. Hope to see you around, Milly., he said nonchalantly and walked away without caring for a reply from me. All I could do was stare at his dark silhouette and thank my stars for allowing me a glimpse in his world. 
.................................................
TAEHYUNG POV:
I saw her walk across the cafeteria with her tray after she ditched her friends who did not seem too happy with her. She took her usual seat beside the window and fished out her earphones, her food already forgotten. I swear I wasn't stalking her. But I couldn't deny the fact that my eyes had been glued to her in every lunch break for the past three days. 
"Stop staring at her, dude. You're creeping me out.", Jimin elbowed me. "What, are you in love with her or something?", he scoffed. "Shut up, Jiminie.", I rolled my eyes and gulped my milk in one go. "Then why are you so obsessed with her these days?", he asked. 
I paused for a second and sighed, "I honestly don't know. Maybe its the mystery surrounding her, how she just doesn't let anyone in. Maybe its the fact that she treats me like dirt which is irking my competitive side. Maybe its her company that just makes me feel alive and keeps me on edge. Or maybe because she's gorgeous and the fact that she doesn't know it makes her much hotter. "
"Woah dude, stop. Go talk to her if that'll stop your rant.", Jimin said, clearly weirded out. I decided to give in and walked up to her, taking a seat across her without asking, fearing shell say no if I did ask for permission to sit with her. She took a look at me and rolled her eyes. "Hello, to you too Rapunzel.", I chirped. "What do you want?", she sighed. "What, now I cant sit with you? I figured we should start discussing what we'll do on our project." She rolled her eyes but miracualously agreed. I started, "So, since we're researching a human emotion, it would be a good idea to find someone who's agree to be our case study. Someone suffering through depression, so we can showcase every little aspect and personal experie- heyy are you even listening to me? What are you staring at?", i followed her gaze to see what's gotten her so distracted and there he was, Jeon Jungkook, looking completely out of place in his bench by the window, his face expressionless. 
Milly jumped, as if just realizing I was still beside her and stuttered,  I-Im not staring at anything. Anyways, about the project. Can we discuss it some other time? I-Im not in the mood. And just like that she got her, her untouched food left behind and left.
I picked a chip from her tray and nibbled at it, my eyes fixed at Jungkook. My mind was replaying the dream I had been having every night lately. I had this sudden desire to just go up to him and ask the billion questions that have been keeping me up every night. But I knew better not to. History had taught me that it was best if our paths didnt collide.
Then why was I having this sick feeling at the pit of my feeling that was convincing me that our fate was about to intervine yet again?