PARTNER

The Purpose of Our Lives

"Take one and pass. The name you get on your piece of paper is your partner for this semester. You will be doing a case study together on human behavior that will be due next month.", my psychology professor droned on as we all took turns to pick the pieces of paper from the bowl that was being passed on seat to seat.
The next 10 mins were a total chaos as people roamed around the class to look for their partners as i asked around for a "Kim Taehyung".
I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around, my eyes immediately darting to the shock of red hair and then settling on a pair of amused eyes.
"Milly jung?",the annoying guy from yesterday asked with a grin on his face.
I groaned inwardly and nodded, "Woah, someone's having a lucky day. Hi, i'm kim taehyung.", he offered his hand enthusiastically, which i shook awkwardly.
We looked at the professor as he told us to take seats with our partners.
"So..guess you're stuck with me for the rest of the semester, huh?", taehyung leaned in and whispered with a chuckle as if i didn't know that and wasn't already stressing myself about it. I forced a smile, "Guess i am."
Thankfully, before the situation got more awkward, the professor started briefing us about the project. Basically, we were supposed to pick a mental illness and do a case study on it, studying its various causes and effects.
I looked at my partner, "Did you have anything in mind? Any ideas?", i asked.
He met my eyes and started, somewhat hesitantly," Uh, yeah. How about we study, um, depression?"
I blinked a few times and looked down, unable to meet his eyes. "Um, i think it's too common. Why do you want that topic?", i asked lightly, mentally telling myself he couldn't possibly know about my depression.
He looked at me and thought for a second before he answered, "Um, i have a friend who is suffering from depression. I don't know i, uh, thought i could maybe help him if i got to know his situtation better."
I exhaled when he mentioned a 'him'.
He was looking at me expectantly, waiting for my answer and so i agreed.
And so we spent the rest of the period formulating the structure of our project.
Just as i was started to think this Taehyung wasn't as bad as i was expecting him to be, i looked up and found him staring at me, pencil in mouth. The fact that he was so attractive didn't help my situation and i immediately turned red, shifting uncomfortably in my seat.
"What?", i asked him in an irritated tone.
"Hey, do you always wear a cap? I mean, it's unfair to the spectators to deny them the view of your beautiful hair.", he drawled with a hand on his chest. And before i could comment at his cheeziness, he leaned in and took off my cap, yet again without my permission, making my hair fall on my shoulders once again.
I was rendered speechless at his bluntness and had to take a minute to control my irritation.
I took a deep breath and started, "Has anyone ever told you that you have terrible manners? And please give me my cap back.", i reached for my cap, and to my annoyance he raised his arm above his head challenging me, all the while unable to control his giggles. And what made it worse was how my stomach knotted at the charming sound.
"Ms Jung, Mr. Kim! The playground is outside,this is a classroom. Do you mind not ruining the class decorum with your silly games?", our professor thundered, making me sit back immediately.
"I win, rapunzel.", he snickered as i fished for a hairtie in my purse and tied my hair, deciding to ignore the kid.
After what seemed like a lifetime, the bell rang and i quickly stuffed my notebook in my bag and rushed towards the door.
"Laters, Rapunzel!", i heard taehyung call behind me, but i couldn't care enough to respond.
Damn, could this day get any worse?