Bonus story : Time passed, people changed. But songs stay the same, just like memories.

It Hurts

Taeyeon just needs a closure. So she decided to tell Tiffany honestly. About some little things that she used to hide from the latter.

~~~

 

TY: Hey i know it’s pretty random. But i was driving earlier and suddenly the radio played Katy Perry’s song, ‘Teenage Dream’. And it reminds me of you.

 

TF: Haha interesting. How so?

 

TY: It reminds me of that night, when you drive me for the FIRST TIME.

 

You made me sit on the passenger seat of your parent’s black Nissan X-trail, while you sit behind the steering wheel. I was so nervous you know, when i’m not even the one who drive the car! And it takes less than 15 minutes to reach our school from your home.

 

I was worrying for your safety, mine too. So OUR safety. 

 

I mean we were barely 16. We should not be doing this. It’s an illegal act! We can go to jail if police ever find out!

 

And what’s worse is the fact that it’s dark outside because duh, it’s 7 PM and rain starts to pour, drizzling.

 

What if you accidentally scratched this car and you’ll get into another fight with your mom? You two had tons of it already on daily basis. 

 

Guess you can feel how tense i am.

Or probably you just read my mind, again. Like what you always did. Something that doesn’t surprised me no more if you do. This telepathic thingy always make others who witness it wonder, how we did that? We don't know the answer either. Maybe this is what will happen when you become literally each other's shadow. As if we share one mind, one soul.

 

After all we know each other the best. Like no one else could.

 

And so you tilted your head and look at me with your infamous mischievous smile. Almost teasing-like. Ugh,  you're so annoying sometimes.

 

“Hey, relax. I got this okay? I can drive very well. Just you see.” You proudly said to me. 

 

I scoffed at that. Still couldn’t fully trust you. 

 

“Just be careful. Drive slowly. The road is slippery.” I told you still with my full of worries-face.

 

You just chuckled. You then reached over to hold my hand, and pat it twice, as of trying to comfort me.

 

Then you let go of my hand to pull down the handbrake and gently step on the gas pedal. 


The car slides down and i shrieked.

 

But hey, you were right. You’re good at it. 

 

For a 16 years old girl who doesn’t even have a driving license.

 

You drive smoothly. And i start to feel more at ease now. 

 

I secretly watching you from the side. Hoping you won’t catch me staring.  

 

I like how calm you look. And how cool you are as you drive. Smoothly controlling this big machine. 

 

Almost like a pro.

 

And so i can’t help myself from secretly admiring you. Silently complimenting you in my head as i hide my smile.

 

Helplessly falling for your charm even more. 

 

I didn’t tell you this. Because i was too shy to say it out loud to you and risking to see your annoying cocky smile gets wider? Nope. 

 

I remember there’s a slight bump on the right side of the road and you purposely hit it to tease me. 

 

I send you a death glare that doesn’t even scared you a bit. We’re both looking at each other and laugh. 

 

Then this song played on the radio. Katy Perry’s ‘Teenage Dream’. 

 

She’s one of your favorite singers. 

 

You’re automatically singing to the song. And i joined you shortly after. And we had our carpool karaoke. 


Another secret that i hide from you, i always like it when you sing. You have a beautiful voice, my dear friend.

 

But do you know? You were my teenage dream. 

 

When i’m with you, i feel like i’m living my teenage dream. 

 

I know you get me.

So I let my walls come down.

 

TF: Thank you, Tae. For telling me this. Really. Your super good memory never failed to impress me. Like how can you even remember those details so clearly??

("I used to see it as a curse, Fany. Because it keeps reminding me of things that i wish i could forget. But i will no longer loathe it, nor run away from it. Instead i'll reminisce with a smile." Taeyeon secretly added in mind.)

 

I couldn’t stop smiling as i read ‘em. Even Jay asked me who am i texting with because i probably looking so weird and creepy, smiling so big as i look at my phone with teary eyes. 

 

I guess you’ve always been good that way; at making me smile 🙂


And you still do.

***

 

Taeyeon read it, and locked her phone. 
 

There's a smile on her face as she closed her eyes. She looks serene.
 

She feels much better now. Much lighter. Tho honestly she was feeling all nervous and restless earlier, contempleting hard whether she should or should not send that text message to Tiffany. 
 

Well she's glad she did. 
 

Because now she finally found her closure. 
 

She learned that sometimes all we need in life is a closure. To make peace with our past.
 

It doesn't mean you have to forget or pretend as if it never happened.

It doesn't mean you have to stop caring or stop loving. Because the more you deny it, the stronger it'll become.
 

All you have to do is learn to accept. That no matter what happened, life goes on. So you too need to move, forward.