Disastrous First Date

Living the Dream

Kyuhyun had his fair share of horrible dating experiences. He figured Ryeowook did too. However, he wondered if either of them had ever been on such a bad first date before. It was even more mortifying because after over two years of pursuing Ryeowook, he had finally gotten an official date and this happened.

Everything had started out okay. Kyuhyun showed up at the cafe ten minutes early and got their table in a backroom. He already accounted for privacy considering his own increasing status and popularity. Ryeowook made it abundantly clear that he would not stand for being dragged into anymore potential scandals.

If that was the only requirement, then Kyuhyun could definitely try to make that happen.

Twenty minutes passed. And then half an hour since they were supposed to meet slipped by. Kyuhyun shot Ryeowook a text, palms sweating at the idea that maybe he was stood up.

Barely a second later, Ryeowook responded: I’ve been here for fifteen minutes...where are you?

He rattled off the location and restaurant name.

A minute later, Ryeowook was calling.

“Hello?” Kyuhyun answered, standing up without thinking.

“I’m so sorry,” Ryeowook apologized in a flurry, sounding embarrassed, “I got the wrong restaurant! I’m about a ten minute subway ride from where you are. I’ll be there as fast as I can!”

He sank bank down, relieved. “Don’t worry about it. You’re fine. Do you want me to order first for both of us?”

“Yes, thanks,” Ryeowook sounded slightly short of breath, presumably jogging to the train.

Kyuhyun couldn’t stop the smile that crossed his face. He really is interested in me...this is like a dream. “See you soon.”

 

Fifteen minutes later, Ryeowook was sweeping into the private room, looking slightly disheveled but utterly adorable. His hair was messy and his clothes were impeccable if not slightly rumpled from running. A guilty expression crossed his face as he met Kyuhyun’s gaze.

Standing up and wrapping his arms around the smaller man, Kyuhyun tried to smother a laugh. “You’re so cute.”

At that, Ryeowook huffed and pushed at his chest lightly. “Shut up. I came as fast as I could. I still can’t believe I made such a dumb mistake.”

“I guess our date wasn’t that important to you?” Kyuhyun teased, running his fingers softly through the other man’s mussed hair to smooth it out.

“You know that’s not true,” the stylist looked up, cracking a small smile. “It’s been a long time coming.”

As they sat back down though, things didn’t get much better.

Kyuhyun had reached for a glass of water and unknowingly knocked it into Ryeowook’s lap. And then, when he tried to clean it up, Ryeowook managed to elbow a plate of appetizers off the table.

Lunch was only the tip of the iceberg, though.

They left the restaurant with barely satiated appetites and even gloomier appearances. “Your clothes aren’t going to dry,” Kyuhyun remarked, looking at the drenched shirt and pants. “We should probably buy something.”

“Yeah, it’s getting uncomfortable,” he admitted, pulling the shirt away from his body.

While searching for clothing stores to replace the soaked clothes though, fans on the street quickly recognized Kyuhyun despite his mask and hat. It was one of the problems they had expected to encounter, but to be faced with it when they were already dealing with another issue just increased the frustration.

Making a break for it, they hailed a cab.

They drove to Ryeowook’s apartment, hoping that maybe this would improve their chances of successfully continuing the date once he had changed clothes. “Do you want to just stay and watch a movie here?” Ryeowook offered, voice projecting from down the hall.

Kyuhyun perked up at the idea of cuddling on the couch. “That sounds good to me.” He wandered around the living room, trying to busy himself while he waited.

His fingers brushed along the petals of a small plant on a side table.

“Kyuhyun?”

He snapped to attention, hand flying down abruptly and smacking the edge of the clay flower pot. It trembled and tumbled, dropping directly on top of his foot.

What should’ve been a lovely afternoon date turned into what they would both remember as a five-hour trip to the emergency room.