Fashion Week: Turmoil

Living the Dream

Kyuhyun wasn’t sure if he should’ve been amused or irritated. He settled for feeling a bit of both. They were well into Day 2 of Fashion Week in Shanghai and Ryeowook refused to speak to him outside of work related issues.

If it was maybe half a year ago, he would’ve been fine with the silent treatment, however, they had known each other for over a year already and this was just frustrating. He hardly thought it was that mean of a joke. Rather, he wanted to surprise Ryeowook.

Why would he be so angry that Kyuhyun had come to host Fashion Week? If anything, it would improve both of their reputations because everyone would learn that the person doing the MC’s makeup was Kim Ryeowook—stylist extraordinaire. And Kyuhyun planned to fully sell his stylist’s skills at formal parties and informal ones throughout the week.

Really, there was no reason for Ryeowook to be such a grouch.

This attitude continued all throughout the previous day’s morning rehearsal, lunch, afternoon rehearsal, and through dinner. Kyuhyun had hoped to catch him after that, but the sneaky jerk had called for his driver and left for the hotel immediately after the meal.

Day 2 was technically the first day officially, meaning everyone was busy and stressed. Kyuhyun couldn’t have really talked to Ryeowook comfortably anyway, but he liked the idea of trying to sneak a few words in here and there.

Clearly, Ryeowook thought differently.

After finishing Kyuhyun’s makeup first, he had run off without a word to help another stylist who was having trouble with a sudden foundation issue. From what Kyuhyun had been able to catch, the product had cause a delayed allergic reaction the previous night, and now they were scared to harm the sensitive skin with another faulty foundation.

But really, Kyuhyun would’ve preferred to hear that mundane story from Ryeowook rather than a chatty technician working stage lights. To be fair, he’d like to hear anything from Ryeowook.

With more determination than he could remember ever having, Kyuhyun cornered the man in the car, having climbed in and laid in wait for Ryeowook to call the driver to get him.

It was a dirty trick. Probably mildly creepy, too. Kyuhyun would admit those things, but he also would admit that leaving the air tense between them was worse than coming off a little nuts.

Maybe.

The door opened and it took Ryeowook a full ten seconds of sitting in the car to realize Kyuhyun was next to him. When he did, he nearly flew back out of the car with a shout.

Kyuhyun caught him by the wrist. “I’m not going to eat you. Calm down! Why have you been treating me like the plague?” He snapped, forcing Ryeowook to sit back down. “Drive,” he barked at the man in the front seat.

Without pause, the car jerked forward.

“This is like one degree from kidnapping,” Ryeowook complained.

“You’re exaggerating and we’re going to the same hotel,” he rolled his eyes. “Now tell me why you’ve been avoiding me with all your might.” Kyuhyun slowly released Ryeowook’s hand.

He sighed, rubbing his face. “Look, I really appreciate all the help. I do. But it’s just not a good idea to mix personal and professional relationships. I don’t want anyone talking badly about either of us if things come out that we’re...involved in other ways.” Ryeowook flushed to the tips of his ears, the color evident as street lamps shined into the dark vehicle.

That’s your problem with me? You think they’ll say I’m soliciting you or you’re a gold digger?” Kyuhyun stared, dumbfounded.

Ryeowook shot him a glare. “It’s not as ridiculous as you’re making it sound. It’s very commonplace in this industry to sleep your way into a better position. I don’t want to get that reputation. And I don’t want you to end up with a reputation for blackmailing your staff members into sleeping with you.”

He rolled his eyes. “You’re being too careful. Why would you think of the worst-case scenario like that? Not everyone will think so and even if a few do, so what? It doesn’t change that your skill is real. Everyone can see that.” Kyuhyun suddenly halted, looking like he was physically and mentally backtracking. “Wait. Do you like me? Is that why this is bothering you?”

“No!” Ryeowook answered too quickly. “This is a matter of professionalism—”

“If we weren’t coworkers, would you be tempted to date me?” Kyuhyun cut in, entire body tense.

Ryeowook dropped his head against the window. What was he doing? Shutting his eyes, he rather spitefully responded, “Not even a little bit.”

It was going to be a long week.