Fashion Week: Arrival

Living the Dream

Ryeowook hummed a little tune as he strode through the airport. His body tingled with excitement. This was his first major trip abroad for a job. The short job he had done in Japan with Kyuhyun didn’t really count in his mind since it was barely two days. This time, he was expected to stay for a full week, plus or minus a day. Essentially, he would have time to actually enjoy the sights and sounds of another country for the first time in his life.

Although he didn’t want to admit it, this wouldn’t have been possible without Kyuhyun’s help. After over a year of working with the man, Ryeowook had been offered one of the biggest jobs of his life.

Fashion Week in Shanghai.

Working with a large team of stylists and models was something he had dreamed of doing for years.

He passed through customs and baggage claim. A small part of his mind wondered if Kyuhyun had received the Thank You card he sent to his office. It was a small thing, but he hoped to buy his client a present while in China as well. There was so much he wanted to thank Kyuhyun for, as well as his own company.

“Li Xu?”

His eyes fell on a man in a business suit holding a sign just outside of baggage claim. Waving, he bowed slightly. “Yes, that’s me! Thank you for coming to get me.”

“Not a problem,” the man shook his head, smiling. “We were told to take good care of you. Please follow me. I parked just outside.”

With a small nod, Ryeowook followed him, thrilled to get his first look at Shanghai.

 

The car ride was longer than he expected. It seemed traffic was bad at 5pm no matter what country. Ryeowook felt himself nodding off, and resolved to take a small nap while waiting to arrive at the hotel. He was glad for the later flight arrival. Although he wasn’t particularly fatigued by the plane ride, it wouldn’t do him any good to show up tomorrow at the venue looking worn out.

When his eyes opened next, the car had pulled to a complete stop in front of a much nicer hotel than he had expected.

Yawning, Ryeowook climbed out of the car, rubbing his bleary eyes. The sleek interior of the hotel lobby was obvious through their glass doors. He frowned, starting to wake up enough to question why he had been given such nice lodgings. Were all stylists treated this well?

“Here are your bags.” The driver handed him the single suitcase and makeup duffel. With a smile, he added, “I’ll be here at 7:30am tomorrow morning to pick you up.”

“What? You’re driving me to the venue as well?” Ryeowook blinked, shrugging his backpack on.

“Yes, sir,” he responded clearly, “I was given strict orders to act as your driver during your short stay in Shanghai. Taxis can be difficult to navigate with limited Chinese and you don’t speak much English, either right?”

Ryeowook shook his head. “I guess that’s true. Thank you then.” He bowed politely. “But whose orders are you working under?” As he lifted his head, he met the man’s eyes curiously.

“My boss, of course,” he chuckled, “Gui Xian.”

“Oh,” he furrowed his brow, still confused. “Well, I’ll meet your boss tomorrow?”

“Yes,” the driver confirmed, “Have a good rest.”

 

The next morning, Ryeowook doubled checked his makeup case before heading down to the lobby at 7:25am. He had carefully chosen the key products he would use for the day and left the remaining makeup behind. It would do him no good if he brought everything and ended up a mess. Today was also only the rehearsal, so if he decided on a last-minute change to a model’s image, he had more supplies in his hotel room.

As expected, the driver was already parked outside the front doors. However, it appeared that he was chatting with someone as well. The man’s back was facing Ryeowook, but from the looks of it, he was tall enough to be a model and well-dressed enough to look important.

Maybe a model was carpooling with them?

Stepping outside, Ryeowook smiled in greeting at the driver. “Good morning!”

“Good morning,” he returned. Glancing at the man with him, he said, “My boss, Gui Xian, will be riding with us this morning.”

“Oh, pleased to meet you,” Ryeowook bowed low. “Thank you for taking care of me.”

“There’s no reason for you to be so formal, Ryeowook.”

The stylist felt his blood run cold. His head snapped up.

Cho Kyuhyun smirked, tapping Ryeowook’s chin lightly. “I love taking care of you.”

I should’ve known.