Fashion Week: Reconciliation

Living the Dream

 

 

Day Four was terrible.

Ryeowook hated himself for hating it. He didn’t even feel like it was right to be feeling these feelings. However, he couldn’t control it. However, if he kept it to himself, wasn’t it alright? No one needed to know how much he loathed it. Nope.

Downing another flute of champagne, he did his best to stop peeking at the pair flirting just a few feet away. Their faces were bright and interested as they talked about who-knew-what and incrementally leaned closer together—not that Ryeowook was taking note. Why would he care?

“You’re not looking too hot.”

Ryeowook turned his head, seeing another stylist coming up to him. She was cleaned up nicely, except for a few stray locks that kept flying back over her face. An annoyed grimace flattened her lips as she adjusted her hair. Ryeowook chuckled, stepping closer and helping to set her hair in place. “I’m doing fine. Maybe just a little exhausted from these types of events. Why isn’t your hair cooperating?”

“It chooses not to cooperate when I’m in dire straits,” she snorted. “Thanks for helping me out though. Do you think it’ll stay now?” Worried, she reached up to look for the stray lock rebelling against her.

He shook his head. “I pinned it down as well, so it won’t fly all over your face again.” As he spoke though, his eyes darted back over the couple. They were standing closer. Or at least, it looked like it from his new angled perspective. What is wrong with me? What am I doing? He sighed, trying to force his eyes away, but unable to when he saw the woman brush her fingers over the man’s suit jacket.

“Which one are you eyeing?”

Ryeowook almost jumped, looking back at the now amused stylist. Frowning, he took another flute of champagne from a passing server. “I’m not eyeing anyone. I just got distracted by some of these hairstyles and outfits. They’re pretty outrageous.”

“That was the worst topic conversation to go with,” she noted, “given we’re at Fashion Week. Literally everyone is dressed outrageously. And I’m betting you’re checking out Cho Kyuhyun, right?”

“It’s only because his hair and makeup look terrible. He did it himself,” Ryeowook blurted, knowing it was a flimsy excuse. He never looks bad. Even without makeup or styled hair.

“Do I have to call you a liar, or do you know?” the stylist mused.

Ryeowook turned red with embarrassment. “Can we talk about something else?”

“You sure you wanna change the topic? I don’t mind discussing your crush.”

“It’s not like that,” he hissed. “And yes I do want to talk about another topic. Tell me about what you’re doing after this week is over.” Ryeowook took a long sip from his glass.

She stared for a long moment, but then let it go. “I’m actually planning to attend another fashion show just a few weeks after this ends. It’s farther though, and I’ve been trying to decide if it’s worth the plane time. I really hate taking long flights.”

Ryeowook pursed his lips, running through a mental list of upcoming fashion shows overseas. “Wait…you don’t mean the one in Las Vegas, do you?”

“Right! That one!” she clapped her hands and then patted his chest lightly. “I’m glad you remembered. It’s part exhibition, and part fashion show, so it’ll be a little less crazed with outfit changes and styling. We’ll have more time to show off interesting looks. Actually…you know what? I’ve got guest passes to the—”

She was cut off as Kyuhyun stepped up beside Ryeowook, sliding an arm around his waist as if it was the most natural thing in the world. “You two seem like you’re having fun,” he smiled, effectively squeezing himself into the conversation.

Ryeowook stiffened, looking up at the other man. “You, too.” He glanced at the woman who was already mingling with other people. “You just left her? Weren’t you two having a nice chat?”

“But I haven’t spoken to you in ages,” Kyuhyun retorted, bordering on whiny. His eyes were full of childish want, no longer masked by cool indifference.

The female stylist looked between them and then sighed under her breath. Patting Ryeowook on the shoulder, she waved goodbye. “I’ll finish telling you about Vegas next time. Enjoy your evening.” She winked and then sauntered off.

Ryeowook barely got out a “Wait” before Kyuhyun was swinging him around to fully face him. Swallowing hard, he glared at the handsome idol. “You are such a bully. Why did you make her leave?”

“She chose to leave. And I’m tired of acting cold with you,” Kyuhyun muttered, frowning. “It’s not fun and I miss your voice.” He watched Ryeowook for a reaction, searching his expression.

Heaving a sigh, Ryeowook poked the other man’s chest. “Yeah…it’s not fun. I can’t believe I like your whining and busybody attitude. The day was just so…quiet without you there,” he admitted softly, half-hoping the room was too loud for Kyuhyun to hear the confession.

Unfortunately, he always hung onto every word Ryeowook uttered.

Smirking widely, he leaned closer to Ryeowook’s face, only for the latter to lean away. “You really can’t resist me at all, can you?”

“And there’s your fatal flaw when wooing someone,” the shorter man laughed, gently pushing Kyuhyun’s face back. “Can we get out of here? I hate parties after all.”

Without another word, they sneaked away into the night.