To Quit or Not to Quit

Living the Dream

Ryeowook considered quitting his job at least twice a week--four times when things got really bad. It wasn’t because there was no advancement. He also loved the work. In fact, it was one of his many passions and by all other accounts, he was living his dream.

However, there are always a few things that just ruin dreams.

That day was yet another dream-ruining day.

With all the patience he could muster, Ryeowook smacked the hand gliding down his waist. He glared at the man in the makeup chair. “Kyuhyun.”

“Ryeowook?” He smiled innocently.

“We’ve talked about this,” the stylist huffed.

Kyuhyun leaned back in the chair, eyes wandering over Ryeowook. “Have we? I feel like it’s always you who’s talking about it. I don’t see a problem.” He reached out again, touching the other man’s hand idly.

“Quit it!” Ryeowook pulled his hand away, frowning and glowering harder. “I am trying to do my job. This is inappropriate and you should feel ashamed.”

“Ashamed of what?” Kyuhyun cocked his head, seemingly amused.

He flushed, flabbergasted.. “For all of it!” Ryeowook circled his client, fussing with his hair which still hadn’t been styled since he wouldn’t stop playing around. Kyuhyun just hummed as Ryeowook ran his fingers through his messy locks. Rolling his eyes, the stylist grabbed a jar of wax and spread a generous amount between his hands. “Now sit up straight. We’re already behind schedule and they’re going to scold me again.”

“I think you’re too serious.” Kyuhyun straightened in his seat nonetheless, watching Ryeowook through the brightly lit mirror. “It’s not a bad look on you though.”

He stifled a long-suffering sigh.

“You should be happier, Ryeo-ah,” one of the other stylists chuckled from across the room. She was busy curling another entertainer’s hair. “Not everyone gets to flirt so happily with an idol.”

“Happily?” Ryeowook repeated, pulling particularly hard on a chunk of Kyuhyun’s hair.

The latter winced, reaching up to halt Ryeowook’s hand. Still managing a smile, he glanced over at the other stylist. “See? She understands what we’re doing. I don’t know why you’re being stubborn about this.”

“I’m not being stubborn. I’m being professional.”

Kyuhyun shrugged. “I don’t even see what’s wrong. I think you’re cute. You think I’m cute. We should just be happy--”

“--I don’t think you’re cute,” Ryeowook deadpanned.

He clicked his tongue. “There’s no need to pretend. You can just admit that I’m cute. Everyone already knows you think so.”

Ryeowook turned red with a mixture of frustration and embarrassment. “Who thinks so?” he shot back, “I’ve worked with tons of idols. There are at least 10 people who I think are cuter.”

“Who?” Kyuhyun returned, without missing a beat.

“Yesung.”

Kyuhyun snorted. “You should really learn to lie better.”

“Donghae and Eunhyuk, too,” Ryeowook continued, pointedly ignoring the previous jab. He curled a few locks of Kyuhyun’s hair around his finger, pleased when the waves stuck. Fluffing the hair at the nape of his neck, he went on, “Donghae is especially handsome. He looks like he would be a good husband.”

“But he’s so dopey!” Kyuhyun whined, looking truly upset this time. “His skin is just as bad as mine too. That’s all makeup.”

Ryeowook smiled wryly. “I’m aware. I do his makeup regularly.”

“You’re cheating on me?” Kyuhyun accused, shooting him a particularly hurt look through the mirror.

Ryeowook once again seriously considered quitting.