chapter ii

what a wonderful word

Minhyuk's POV

Chapter Text


May 25 2019

Day after day, night after night, Minhyuk observes. He watches quietly, his fingers scrambling to grab on to everything that is his, everything that is theirs.

His eyes are closed but sleep evades. Deep, buried under blankets of warmth, Minhyuk feels the cold of the absence. His fingers stray but there’s nothing but comforter that engulfs him. He isn't used to this quiet, even on his most restless, Hyunwoo’s heavy breathing would hum him back to sleep. Now there’s nothing, not when he’s on the day shift and gets to sleep with his husband, not when on the night shift and he doesn’t. There’s a gap, a void threatening to swallow him till he can't feel any more.

The creak of the door disturbs the eerily silence, Hyunwoo’s heavy footsteps following. He hears the article of clothes hit the floor, it will be there in the morning for Minhyuk to pick up. The rift is unspoken, and he turns to look at the form of his husband. Hyunwoo can’t see him or chooses not to but in the glow of the cellphone, Minhyuk can see him clearly. He sees the concentration in his usually dull eyes, he sees the marks spanning down the thick tan forearm, red and angry.
He’s seen the messages exchange, a continuous broken conversation and he knows exactly what Hyunwoo is typing; ‘Got back safe, goodnight’.

A smile tugs at his lips, maybe Hyunwoo should mention it’s to him that Hyunwoo returns to. Night after night, their bed he shares in their home.

Hyunwoo doesn’t hide the messages and Minhyuk doesn’t give him any reason to. He pretends like he really believes the contact is Jaebum, he lets Hyunwoo think he’s happily dense.

Keep your family close but keep your enemies closer.

Minhyuk’s mother didn’t have that option. His father just came home one day with another woman and it shocked her just as much as it shocked Minhyuk. No warning but Minhyuk soon learns his mother was just too content, too dissolve in her comfort. Minhyuk wouldn’t make that mistake, the same mistake his parents made. No, his marriage was worth saving. Hyunwoo wasn’t like his father and their relationship was nothing like his parent’s.

He had hoped that the novelty would wear off, that Hyunwoo would grow tired of his play thing. If anything, the opposite happen. He slips up more often now, stays out late with no explanation, doesn’t bother to hide the marks etched into his skin. Minhyuk preferred it the way it was before, when he would come home and bath immediately. Now, his lover lingers on his skin as he slips between their sheets. Tears used to be shed when Hyunwoo would be in the shower but that too, Minhyuk doesn’t have that luxury of anymore. Now, he just lies still and prays as he breathes in the scent of hs husband and his husband’s lover.

-

June 21 2019

The day was unsuspectingly calm, the hospital’s hallways oddly peaceful. Minhyuk loved his job as a nurse, taking care of people being a passion he never grew tired of. Still, it's his marriage he needs to save and he’s more than a little distracted.

He finishes his rounds early, an hour so. It was expected, considering he clocked in early because he didn’t want to linger around in his empty house. Hyunwoo no more wasted times in the morning, leaving Minhyuk in an early morning slump.


Getting a head start on work seemed like a much better option than falling into depression.


He’ been meaning to do something, anything but he’s scared. He’s scared if he pushes, Hyunwoo would push back. He’s scared that things wouldn’t be okay but if he continued this way, he was no different from his mother. Then again, maybe he would just act to bring the inevitable down upon himself.

He had to risk it.

If there was a chance to save them, he would have to take it.
Around eleven, with his optimism at it’s peak, he ships off some of his duties to a colleague. They trust him, so when e sees he has an emergency, they don’t pry. Probably because they know he’s a chatterbox that will tell them he got back.

Minhyuk’s grand scheme seemed fitting, it was a sure way to remind Hyunwoo of just how far they had come. He goes home and prepares the ingredients.

When he had first met Hyunwoo, the business student had politely sidestepped his attempts. It didn't deter Minhyuk, Hyunwoo was polite and sweet. It only madeMinhyuk fall deeper and deeper. There was a depth of warmth in Hyunwoo’s eyes that Minhyuk had never encountered before. He stood out with no intention to and Minhyuk had fallen in love or so he believed. The truth be told, Minhyuk didn’t know what it was. Hyunwoo didn’t invoke the strange magical aura of romanticism that had others had. No, quite the opposite, Hyunwoo made him feel very much awake and unaware.

Hyunwoo had taught him that falling in love was not a moment or an event but rather a process that never took a break.-so then why did Hyunwoo?

Minhyuk had resorted to some cheesy romantic movie in order to win over Hyunwoo’s affection.

Somewhere they had said, ’the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’

So he had spent the night before diligently preparing. He was too exhausted to look presentable the next morning but things that come easy are rarely ever of worth. Hyunwoo had shown something akin to fondness and they ate in comfortable silence. It would the first of many meals they shared together.

Minhyuk worked to recreate the very same lunch. It wasn’t extravagant, not by a long shot compared to the meals Minhyuk currently prepared. Still, it was a part of their history. Minhyuk can’t help but reminisce, the worry in his shoulders slowly ease.
-
He knows he’s late for lunch but Hyunwoo very rarely ate on time. He smiles politely at the staff, they were vaguely familiar wit him, most of them had met him at the office Christmas party. Hyunwoo office building was the epitome of opulence, clean whites and smooth greys.

Kihyun, Hyunwoo’s secretary comes into view and Minhyuk doesn’t miss the fleeting panic that flashes in his eyes. Kihyun was small in stature but a force to be reckoned with.

“Minhyuk,” he greets, a tight smile on his lips.

“I brought lunch,” Minhyuk beams,” You’ll join us?”

There’s a brief moment, Kihyun seemingly not knowing how to reply,”Mr.Son isn’t in right now.”

The information dawns on Minhyuk, he finds himself slightly nodding and Kihyun is quick to supply an explanation,”He went to see a client for lunch.”

“Do you know where?” Minhyuk knows if there’s any truth in this, Kihyun will surely know.

“I don’t,” it comes out small, like Kihyun himself and Minhyuk knows he’s lying.

He struggles to maintain his smile, his gaze wavering,”That’s okay, I’ll phone him. Bye,”

He's quick to turn on his heel, legs wobbly but never pausing. He wants to unsee the look in Kihyun’s eyes, the pity and the guilt. Every pair of eyes that lay on him feels downcasted, pitiful, shameful and Minhyuk can’t see where he’s going.

Everything is just a blur, a flash of colours and sounds. Nothing reaches him, not the hooting of the cars, not they yelling of the angry drivers.He walks and walks, the food bag swinging haphazardly. Only stopping when his feet hurt and he’s out of breath.

A few strangers look at him weirdly but he’s too numb to care. The smile, however, stays plastered on his face. Inhaling and exhaling, he looks around wide-eyed, awakens from his trance.
He knows this place or at least he thinks he does. He’s surrounded by stone statues and various flowers, there's various café set up upon the crisp lawn. It’s very upscale, something Minhyuk never got used to, not even after eight years of marriage. Hyunwoo’s taste was often select and he insisted on routine.

Minhyuk knew he wouldn’t have lunch with a client, it would be too tedious. Hyunwoo likes silence when he eats. That being said, it is lunch time and if his husband is not in the office…

There’s only one place he can be.

He walks briskly, his breath shallow but intentions clear. He spots Mythos quickly, the statue of the greek goddess Athena at the entrance.

Hyunwoo was a creature of habit. Mythos was the restaurant he frequented on the daily for lunch. Minhyuk had accompanied him once. Hyunwoo had his table reserved from twelve till one and he said no more than ‘the usual’.

So it takes Minhyuk only a second to spot the broad shoulders through the glass window.

“Sir, can I help you? ”A young waiter asks.

“No, ”Minhyuk swallows as he back steps, trying not to draw attention to himself,”No thank you.”

He steps behind the statue, reaching for his phone in an attempt to act casual. Slipping glances around the statue, he tries to get a visual on his husband but all he can see is the back of his head, his shoulders and the lavender hair of his lover.

What grown man dyes his hair lavender?

The again, who said he was grown. It makes sense, Minhyuk just hadn’t considered it. It wasn’t uncommon for established businessmen to have young lovers. Many college students had sugar daddies to fund their studies and their luxuries.

It leaves a bad taste in his mouth. He almost hates just how highly he thinks of Hyunwoo, till the point it worked to only hurt himself. He’s between a rock and a hard place. He was in denial, in so deep that he can’t find he’s way back. He would prefer Hyunwoo using someone for ual pleasure and thrills but he knows his husband. He knows his husband too well and he knows it’s not that simple but he lies to himself. He can’t go on. If someone was to steal Hyunwoo’s heart, then the possibilities of the giving it back were minimal. What if Minhyuk lost him?

Only one way to find it.

He doesn’t think twice, his fingers selecting his husband and the call icon. It rings once, twice, thrice..

“Hello,” he answers and Minhyuk can see the cellphone press to his ear.

“Babe,”he tries to control his voice but fails,”What are you doing?”

“I’m out on business,” Hyunwoo says it soo easily, Minhyuk almost feels like throwing up.

“Oh,” he manages.

“I have to go,” he says hurriedly,”Speak to you later.”

The call is cut but Minhyuk keeps the phone to his ears.
No ‘I love you’, no ‘I’ll see you at home’.

No, Hyunwoo speaks to him like he’s the outsider. Minhyuk feels like one.
-
He doesn’t cry, he doesn’t grieve. There’s too many emotions bubbling within him, he doesn’t know which one to hear out.
But there’s this one, this one sensation that comes in intervals. it burns in the pit of his stomach, makes his head spin as he trembles. Boneless and emotionally exhausted, he collapses onto the sofa. It’s like something is eating from the inside, devouring him and it hurts like nothing he’s ever felt. Inch by inch, his sanity slither away, too weak to stand the darkness that’s brewing.

The clarity is blinding, the coolness that wraps around his body. It’s ice, stinging at the base of his neck, goosebumps spreading across his flesh and he feels something takes over. An unusual calm comes to put him at ease, his breath regulating, his mind racing.

Words on repeating, spinning circles, etched into his cranium.

We’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. We’ll be fine.

But what if they don’t? He doesn’t feel the rage but his fist tightens till his nails dig into his flesh, then too, the pain evades him, his mind too preoccupied. He was determined, he was hopeful, he was optimistic that Hyunwoo would pick him.

If this was a game, Minhyuk was going to win.

Hyunwoo will pick him. Minhyuk just had to remind him, show him just what he was risking. Hyunwoo would see all that Minhyuk was and is, all the times they had shared, all the plans they had dreamt and he would understand. He would understand and regret but it was okay. Hyunwoo was only human and Minhyuk would forgive with open arms.

If Hyunwoo didn’t understand already, then it was up to Minhyuk to make him understand.

What choice did he have?

That night, Minhyuk falls asleep minutes after slipping into bed. His mind is clear, dark like the night sky with no stars. There’s no after thoughts or overthinking, everything slips into place like a jigsaw. So perfectly and he knows, they will be fine. He’ll make sure of it.
-
The days glide by, Hyunwoo’s behaviour becoming more erratic. None the less, Minhyuk maintains his calm. This world was fill of sin, he wouldn't let his husband succumb. No, he would protect Hyunwoo and their marriage. For that, he needed to remain level headed.

-

June 26 2019

He’s ready.

He stays up, after five nights of peaceful sleep, for his husband. Dressed in soft sweat pants and black knit jersey, he lays await, eyes trained on the door. He’s taken the day off but he hadn’t shared that with Hyunwoo. He spent it preparing, cleaning the house and rehearsing. Each little detail carved into him till he was confident.

He even takes special consideration to his looks. His hair is washed and set, subtle make up choices, he’s even shaved his legs and ia area. Minhyuk doubts anything ual or intimate will happen tonight, much like the months prior but Hyunwoo had always been particular about him shaving.

Either way, he was prepared. One way or the other, he was going to win.

He remains, frozen to the spot until Hyunwoo arrives.
His husband looks mildly startled, his eyes revealing concern but he blinks it away.

“We need to talk,” Minhyuk says calmly, just like rehearsed.

“I know,” is all Hyunwoo says, his large hands tossing his bag and coat on the sofa.

Minhyuk’s eyes linger, scanning over his figure, pinpointing the areas his lover has marked.

“Listen-“ Hyunwoo starts but Minhyuk is quick to get up from his seat.

“I’ll make us come coffee. I have feeling this going to be long,” he insists as he walks into the kitchen.

Hyunwoo follows wordlessly and waits in silence but Minhyuk can feel his gaze on his back. It’s soft but filled with intent.
The intent for good or bad, he didn’t know.

He fills the mugs as planned, Hyunwoo’s grey mug already on the counter. He hands it to his husband and heads back to their lounge. Hyunwoo was heavy, it was easier this way.

He doesn’t speak and by some luck, Hyunwoo doesn’t either. They just stare at each as they drink their coffee. It stirs butterflies in Minhyuk’s stomach, the sensations justifying his actions. He was still loved by Hyunwoo. As long as Hyunwoo hadn't given up, there was still faith.

Minhyuk would salvage it.

“Minhyuk,” Hyunwoo's voice calls out uncertain,”I think I should get to bed.”

Minhyuk doesn’t reply, a wide smile on his lips as he watches Hyunwoo blink in confusion as he tries to place the mug on their mohogany table.

“Minhyuk,” he sounds panicked, ”Minhyuk.”

Yes, Hyunwoo thinks, I’m the one you call when you need anything.

It wasn’t anything but the truth. It was him that took care of Hyunwoo, he who comforted him, took care of him, cooked for him, loved him unconditionally. This was just a test and no matter how much it hurt, Minhyuk was going to endure and save them.

Like a baby deer, he tries to get on his feet but fails. His knees buckle under his weight and he comes down on the sofa. Eyes heavy, they’re barely open as he tries to speak but his words slur and Minhyuk can’t understand. His sturdy built crumble into a heap, his lips still moving but eyelids too heavy maintain.

Only then does Minhyuk approach him, laying a warm palm on his cheek,”Sshh, its okay.”

He’s on knees, at the edge of the sofa, levelling himself with Hyunwoo’s slumped body. There’s brief moment of guilt but Minhyuk reminds himself that sacrifices are needed. Tears slip, hot and salty, they flow down his cheek. It broke his heart to see his husband come undone, usually so strong and firm, now vulnerable. Even in his sleep Hyunwoo emanated such presence, his eyes slightly open, body firm and still throughout the night. Nothing like the figure lying on the sofa now.

But it was okay, he lays little kisses on Hyunwoo’s cheek, “For our sake,”

Blinking back the tears, he raises to his feet and heads to their bathroom. There on the counter is equipment, metallic contraptions, glycerin , sterile container and medical supplies.

He does one last check over before he brings the tray to the lounge.

Hyunwoo is still in the same position, his mouth parted as his chest rises and falls with each breath.

Minhyuk musters the brightest smile he can, Hyunwoo had always said he looked the best when he smiled.

He lays the tray on the table, back on his knees again at Hyunwoo’s side.

So much been’s going on, he’s forgotten just how handsome his husband was. Looking at him closely, it feels foreign like he used to look different. He wasn't the same man he was before his affair and Minhyuk was coming to face with a handsome stranger. In the end of the day, Hyunwoo was his husband and if the change was so great, Minhyuk was ready to start the process of love all over again.

With a gentle push, Hyunwoo is on his back, his arms falling off the sofa’s edge. Minhyuk starts with his feet, unlacing the shoes and slipping it off. This in itself, was a process he hadn’t expected to be so invested in.

He climbs on top, straddling his husband’s hips. It’s tight fit but he manages as he opens each button. One by one, the flesh presented to him is warm but distant. Hyunwoo’s lover had laid claim on this skin and Minhyuk would take his time making it his again. The pads of his fingers travelling over the tan skin, reintroducing himself toHyunwoo’s body. He doesn’t take off the shirt completely. Just opening it to reveal the chest and abdomen. There’s little marks scattered over the skin and Minhyuk is quick to press his lips against them, making them his.

He awkwardly glides down, his hands tugging at the belt before pulling Hyunwoo's pants to his thighs. There too, just above the band of his underwear is a blushing bruise, it angers him. All these marks over his husband and none were from him.

The fury grows and he abandons his spot, getting to his feet. He hurriedly tugs Hyunwoo's pants and underwear off. The smile is still there but it’s tight, eyes hovering over fine scratch marks travelling up the inner of his Husband’s thigh. Everywhere, the harlot had left reminders of himself every where.

This wasn’t some typical affair, nor was it some arrangement, it was much more than that. Hyunwoo’s lover wasn’t playing for fun, he was playing to win, he wanted it all. His lover wanted everything Hyunwoo had given Minhyuk. He could feel it, the harlot was after his marriage, his home, his family and he was shameless about it. It’s pity because he must have thought Minhyuk was one of those loyal diligent housewives but no, he was in for rude awakening. This was a war, the harlot had taken one to many battles but ultimately it will be Minhyuk that proved victorious.

Minhyuk’s trembling hands come to part Hyunwoo thick thighs, his limp member falling in the way. Minhyuk brushes it aside, his skinny fingers trying to shove a cushion covered in a sheet under the round cheeks of Hyunwoo's .

It allows adequate accessibility, Hyunwoo’s hole presented.

His husband was an alpha, through and through. He resonated dominance. To see him in such a position feels outlandish but it had to be done.

Swallowing hard, Minhyuk wills the anger and hurt to take leave. He doesn’t need such emotions anymore, no emotions of despair will be tolerated. The trails of tears dry up and with it, his sanity.

The sedative was strong but he couldn’t be too careful, so he adds a light tranquillizer.

Mind now calm and sharp as a knife, he double gloves.
His sanity makes one last call, his eyes flutter over to Hyunwoo’s unconscious face and his heart aches but then he lets his gaze travel downwards and the marks and reminders are all he sees, lighting up like stars against the night of Hyunwoo’s tan skin. No, he was doing the right thing and he promptly puts his sanity back into retirement.

“It’s okay babe, you won’t feel a thing. I promise, “ he smiles serenely, shuffling on his knees to lay a chaste kiss on Hyunwoo’s lips,”I’ll take care of you.”

The machine is charged and he’s gloved hands glisten with glycerine. He looks at his husband's face one last time before begins the procedure, Louis Armstrong’s it’s a wonderful world playing in the back.

And Minhyuk has to agree, it is indeed a wonderful world.
His world at least.