Boyfriend

Stars Shine Brighter

"Hello?" Bona's shaken voice answered the phone, not even bothering to see who called. 

"Hey hey! Have you arrived safely in China? I wish I could be there with you, I haven't been to China since last year..." A loud, bubbly voice. Xuan Yi. 

"Uh... No, not really." 

"What do you mean? Do you need any help?"  

"No, I don't need any help. Xuan Yi, this is not a good time." 

"It's not a good time?! Bona, I'm worried. Please tell me what's wrong." 

Bona felt the anger further build up in her, but she took a deep breath and collected herself. 

"Xuan Yi, I'll call you later to explain everything. I said this is not a good time." 

"No, this is exactly the time." Xuan Yi demanded, her voice raising on the other side. "You can't just tell me you're not okay and leave me hanging when you're travelling abroad! I said I could help, I beg you, please tell me what's going on, I'm not hanging up until you do, and---" 

Bona let Xuan Yi ramble on, but she couldn't hear a word she said. Her attention was only on Cheng Xiao, under her arm, still shaking and crying. 

"Xuan Yi, I said NOT NOW! You'll hear about it soon enough, alright?! STOP IT! I'll call you later!" She yelled on the phone and hung up the call, then threw her phone across the car seat, so far it hit the door. 

She'd just collapsed and snapped at Xuan Yi out of all people. She was just worried and had never treated her with anything less than the utmost respect, and Bona liked her – a lot.  She'd definitely have to apologize for it later.  

But at that moment, all her eyes saw was Cheng Xiao, upset like she'd never seen her. Needing her.  

Unfortunately, she didn't get more than a couple minutes until the agency apparently heard about it and swarmed her with calls. 

 


 

Backstage at the fan meeting, Bona did what she'd been doing since she'd left the airport – yell and get yelled at. 

Her phone hadn't stopped buzzing all day. Aside from the taking calls from the agency, she'd been calling the security company demanding for an explanation, only to get vague excuses and accusations that it was her fault, as the team was stationed on the back exit, and she'd given the wrong instructions. Which, as the emails proved, couldn't be further from the truth. Constantly threatening with a lawsuit didn't seem to be doing much in her favor – the managers were stubborn and unwilling to take responsibility. 

And every time she thought she was done with the agency, she was wrong. There were calls from the publicists, the other managers, clients even, and above all, Cheng Xiao's parents. They were all just as stressed out as she was, which obviously didn’t do wonders for a smooth communication.  

Was Cheng Xiao okay? Did they get out safely? Did they know it was all over the news portals already? What was the agency going to do about it? They'd need to have an urgent meeting and release a statement. The same questions, over and over again, having to answer multiple people at such an alarming pace, turned her brain into fume – even more than she'd thought possible as of late. It was her first really stressful situation on the job, and this time, she didn't have it under control.  

On top of it, she was unable to pay attention to the fan meeting and had left it entirely in the hands of the Chinese SSB team, which was fortunately helping them with overseas activities. She prayed with everything she had that they'd kept an eye on it and that she wouldn't have another silly scandal to handle at the same time. 

Out of desperation, she turned her phone to silent for just long enough to breathe once or twice, and unsurprisingly, the event was coming to a close. 

Cheng Xiao had repeatedly asked the fans to quiet down as she had something important to say. The management chattered among them, looking just as confused as she was. But that too, died down, as the celebrity inhaled and readied herself to speak to the microphone. 

"I want to say, to each and every one of you, that I am the most thankful for the fact that you're here today to see me. I know I've made you wait a long time, and you took time and your hard-earned money just to come show me your support. For that reason, I am truly humbled." 

She let the fans' cheers be heard for a moment, as she nodded and smiled modestly, then silence once more. 

"I am sure you all have heard about what happened earlier today at the airport. I just want to say that as I and every single celebrity friend I know highly respect their fans, I don't think that wanting to be respected back would be too much. Today, I was terrified beyond my own belief, hands touched my body, I had presents fly at me... And I feel especially sorry towards my manager, who now has a bruised face due to this situation, because she did her best to protect me." 

Cheng Xiao wiped her eyes and kneeled ever so gracefully. 

"So please, please, consider that even though I am most grateful for your support and excitement about seeing me, I sincerely regret that the situation came to the point when I feared for my own life. Please remember that us, celebrities, are people just like you. We feel the same emotions, and we share the same desire to be safe along with our loved ones. So I humbly beg you to watch out for me and keep me safe, as well as the people I hold dear and make it possible for me to stand in front of you as a better Cheng Xiao each passing day." 

The girl, all alone in the center of the stage, let her eyes release the impending tears, as she leaned forward and fully bowed to the audience.  

Bona's heart shattered. Cheng Xiao wasn't someone to cry easily, and today, she'd seen her cry twice already – and in front of people. Not just any people, but her audience, fans, the media, and the whole crew.  

Even after what happened, she pulled herself together to show her best image throughout the event, for her fans, when she was hurt and scared. She was indeed a professional. But the courage to take a stand for herself and lay her true heart out for the world to see... it had never happened. She'd never felt so real while showing herself to the public. 

The shatters of Bona's heart were crushed when she realized that from the moment they'd gotten into the car, she'd done nothing but panic and answer to other panicked people. She'd shut down Xuan Yi like that, hurting her in the process, to take care of Cheng Xiao. But she'd ended up leaving her to herself, barely even stopping to ask her how she was feeling and if she needed anything, even if only some comfort. She'd been a terrible manager – and a terrible friend. Her top priority had fallen back. Unforgivable. 

Met with great encouragement from the audience, who kept shouting she shouldn't cry, Cheng Xiao stood up and cheerfully as ever, thanked the fans once again. She strode towards the exit, while waving at the audience. As she got out of their line of sight, though, her head dropped.  

"Xiao..." Bona started, clumsily, as Cheng Xiao now stood in front of her. 

"I'm sorry I said that without warning. It just came out. I had to do it." Cheng Xiao's eyes met hers for a split second, her barely raising her head. She gave her an insincere smile and darted ahead to the dressing room, to change out of her outfit. 

Bona exchanged concerned looks with the rest of the staff, then ran off after her to the dressing room. 

"Xiao, I wanted to say I'm sorry I've only been on the phone since we arrived and haven't paid any attention to you. It's been a lot of pressure to handle, but I never should have let it become a priority over your well-being." 

"Bona, that's okay. I am fine. You did everything you could and had to do to keep me safe." 

"I just want to know how you're doing and if I can do anything for you. As a friend, not as a manager." Bona stared at her feet. 

"Bona, I understand, really!" She approached her to hold her hand. "I'm okay. You couldn't have done better. I know how to handle these things by my own now." 

"Okay, it's that... You really didn't seem fine out there on stage. I don't think I've ever seen you like that myself." 

"I get that. I don't think I've ever seen myself like that either." Cheng Xiao chuckled. "But it's exactly because I did it that I feel so relieved now. I did what I had to do. I assume you're not mad at me for being so unusually rash?" Cheng Xiao's shoulders tensed as she playfully shrank in defense. 

Bona shook her head. 

"No. I think that was really brave of you." 

The celebrity met her eyes and squeezed her hand. 

"Yes... It really was." 

 


 

Up next, Cheng Xiao was scheduled to appear on a TV show. Surprisingly yet not so surprisingly, they asked to change the course of the interview last minute to ask her about the earlier incident and her statement at the fan event. Until the broadcast, Bona kept herself busy analyzing the script changes and approving them, while in contact with the main agency in Korea. She wasn't allowed to worry about Cheng Xiao's possible dishonesty or being in bad terms with Xuan Yi anymore. 

"I'm glad to hear you're doing fine after going through such a stressful situation. I heard your manager was hurt trying to protect you, though." The TV host asked, as the audience gasped in awe. 

"Oh, yes. She got a bruise on her nose because someone knocked the lid of her cap against her face." Cheng Xiao replied.  

"Your manager is that person standing next to that camera, right?" The host pointed. 

"Yes." 

"Can we get a camera to film Ms. Manager and a microphone, please?" 

Bona waved at the camera as the red tally hit her eyes, along with the usual blinding studio lights. The audience behind her cheered loudly as they were told to.  

Why had she agreed to this part of the script, really? The publicist team on the phone had told her to do it, to deflect the few bits of criticism around her "aggressive behavior" at the airport and make her look more approachable. That as a celebrity manager, she inevitably had a public image to maintain as well.  

But Bona hated having attention on her. And besides, making entertainment and noise marketing out of her bruise and the airport situation was low at best. As expected from your good old TV producers. 

"Manager, how have you been doing since then?"  

"I'm fine, thankfully." Bona smiled.  

"Oh, doesn't your nose hurt?" The host attempted to stretch her clearly botoxed facial muscles into a surprised expression, her perfectly shaped brows curving slightly inward. 

"No, I barely remember I have this bruise at all! I'm just happy we got out of there alright." She forgot it was there, yes, but it wasn't like it didn't hurt. She just had too much on her plate that day and no time to think about physical pain.  

"Ah, you're so good with Chinese! Well, your bruise will hopefully be gone soon. But let me say, that even with a bruised face, you're still so pretty! It's only natural that someone like Cheng Xiao would surround herself with equally beautiful people!" She flashed her impossibly aligned teeth. 

"Right? She's even prettier than me. She's the one who should be the celebrity!" Cheng Xiao stepped in, her lips curving into a grin.  

The audience shouted "Noooo!" collectively, resulting into a huge, noisy mess. Ouch. Bona would have taken it personally, if it wasn't so damn impossible for anyone walking this Earth to be more beautiful than Cheng Xiao Xiao. 

Bona tried not to let her concern with Xiao's slightly off-script remark show. 

"Aaaaah, you're making your poor manager embarrassed, Cheng Xiao." The host pouted. She'd noticed Bona's stupid, inevitable grin. "What do you think of that, manager?" 

"I think being prettier than her is impossible. No offense to you, of course." She laughed to disguise her remark as a joke. Served her right for being so inconvenient and making fun of her embarrassment. 

The audience laughed and cheered as the host faked compliance and nodded repeatedly, saying it was true. 

"As expected, Ms. Manager doesn't waste a chance to portray Cheng Xiao in a good light. You almost sound like you're her boyfriend." Another audience laugh. Bona tried to laugh along, but she was pretty sure was frozen in a panicked, bare-teethed smile. "Are you close with your manager, Cheng Xiao?" 

"Oh, yes. We really are like a couple. We spend a lot of time together and she drives me everywhere, and always makes sure I eat and sleep and get exercise. And today she got herself hurt protecting me. She's the reason I can do this job so smoothly and someone I truly hold dear in my heart." 

"No wonder Cheng Xiao is so successful! Behind a successful celebrity, there's always an exceptional team. Thank you Ms. Manager, for taking such good care of our Cheng Xiao here, am I right?" The host yelled, urging the audience to clap and make some noise. 

Bona waved goodbye and returned the microphone to the staff, as the camera went away from her face and all attention returned to Cheng Xiao and the host, in their comfortable armchairs. 

Thankfully, Cheng Xiao had stepped in to handle the rest of the segment, because Bona definitely couldn't have done it. What had gotten into that girl's head to call her pretty and describe them as "like a couple" on live broadcast, in front of a studio audience and thousands of TV viewers? 

Of course it had just been Cheng Xiao with her amazing script improv skills, but Bona couldn't keep up with her pace and react appropriately. Because, worst of all, even though she knew the context in which she'd said those words, she couldn't help but imagine how it would have felt if she'd meant them. 

 


 

Finally at the hotel room, empty plates scattered in front of them from dinner service, Bona was now supposed to keep tabs on the news and online portals. Today, out of all days, it was especially important. So, she picked up her phone, readying herself to call the publicist staff in Korea. But as she browsed through her contact list and went past Xuan Yi's number, guilt came back to punch her in the gut, completely discouraging her from using her phone for the rest of the night. It wasn't as if it was too hard to shift her attention to one of the many other issues in her head, either. 

"Xiao Xiao... Are you really okay?" Bona asked, taking reluctant steps towards the bed where she laid, absentmindedly fiddling with her phone. 

"Hm?" Cheng Xiao didn't take her eyes off the screen. "Yes, I said so already. Don’t worry." 

"I know you said it already. You like to say that even when it's not true."  

"I do that for a living." Cheng Xiao scoffed. 

Bona sat on the edge of the bed to her side and stared at her own lap. 

"Do you... like to do that for a living?" 

"Most of the time, yes." 

"I'm guessing today didn't exactly fit into most of the time". Bona stared at Cheng Xiao. Feeling the intensity in her eyes, Cheng Xiao met her gaze and put down her phone.  

"It didn't." She smiled sadly in response and shifted her body to the left, patting the now vacant space beside her. Bona moved carefully to where she'd been invited to and laid on her side.  

"So you're still thinking about it, aren't you?" 

"Yes..." Cheng Xiao sighed and she too laid on her side, facing Bona. "But it's not about me. I came out of it alright and recovered from shock pretty fast. But you got hurt protecting me. I can't forgive myself for that. I was the one who was too stubborn and insisted we came out the front." 

"Xiao, no, it wasn't your fault. The security team was incompetent and we're going to sue them. You did what you thought was right for your fans." Bona tucked Cheng Xiao's hair behind her ear. 

"But..." Cheng Xiao traced the lines of Bona's nose as she spoke. "Does it really not hurt?" 

"It sort of does." Bona winced. "But it's alright. I know I got hurt doing the right thing. Besides, it's my job to protect you at all costs. Since I'm your manager, your life means more to me than my own." 

When Bona realized she'd been just a tiny bit overly sincere, the words had already left . Now, she was the one praying Cheng Xiao didn't read second intentions in her words. 

"I don't see it that way. Even though it was your job, seeing you hurt, I feel hurt too. Especially when I was responsible for it, somehow." Cheng Xiao grabbed Bona's wrist and bit her lip, tightly shutting her eyes as if fighting back tears. "I meant everything I said about you at the show, Bona, believe it or not. The fact that I have someone like you making sure I'm safe and successful... I'm so grateful. You mean a lot more to me than you can probably imagine." 

Bona's tiny little heart was definitely not prepared to handle the way those words softly escaped her lips, the strong grip on her wrist, the way her eyes felt , vulnerable, sincere. Xiao looked at her, and Bona felt as if she'd never look at anyone else in the world the same way. 

"I t-think I can imagine." Bona managed to stutter through her dry throat. When she was able to meet Cheng Xiao's eyes again, she came to notice her eyes were fixed on her dry, trembling lips.  

Cheng Xiao cracked a small smile, before she drew her face so close to her she could feel each of her warm breaths on her lips. Bona should pull away and draw the line right there, but the electricity each of her breaths pumped into her body was too thrilling, too addictive. She stood at that distance for what felt like too long, as if she was either pondering on if it was right, or blatantly teasing her. She had to fight every ounce of her being not to grab her by the neck and close the distance herself. 

But she didn't have to. 

The plump, perfectly shaped pair of lips met hers, just like that, quickly and without warning. A tame, soft, delicate kiss that took a while to break, but felt like less than a second. 

Cheng Xiao pulled away to reveal an unreadable expression, facing an alarmingly still Bona. Her voice had a calm, somewhat sultry tone to it. 

"I needed to do that."

 

---

A/N: So, things happened hehe :P How might things turn out after this event? Who knows. Thank you for supporting my story as always! :)