Mask

Stars Shine Brighter

With each click of the camera, the two models in front of the white background shifted their bodies into different poses and their faces into different expressions. The photographer and her assistant shouted orders around the set, telling the technicians to move the lighting a bit to the side, then a little less bright, then add the reflector, then remove it...   

The typical, hectic work day at the Stars Shine Brighter Entertainment Agency. Or SSB Ent. 

 

Today marked six months since Kim Bona had taken the job as a Talent Management Trainee. 

Bona first took the job as an easy way out of the countryside, where her successful former actor parents had decided to settle. Where they'd opened a convenience store chain, their own small business, running away from the frenetic life of the city and the entertainment industry. 

Bona first came back to Seoul for college. But after graduating, she had zero prospects of what she wanted to do with her life – she only knew going back and helping her parents manage the chain wasn't in her list of options. 

The stillness and quiet of the countryside didn't make her feel in peace... rather, she felt restless. A will to move and see the world she just couldn't contain. She liked visiting her parents' agency as a little kid, she liked the frenzy of people moving around to make things happen. 

Landing the job was easy. Her parents had gone to work for the management of their former agency, Bright Entertainment, leaving for their own business only when Chinese-based Stars Shine Entertainment acquired it, to form Chinese-Korean Stars Shine Brighter Entertainment. Just a few phone calls to their contacts, with her parents being who they were, added to her close knowledge of the entertainment industry, and her Chinese skills. Just like that, she was in. 

Her pride took a hit, knowing she achieved something simply because she knew the right people. But what good would it do to be stubborn? She had dreamed of working in her parents' field when she was a little girl. Was it still her dream? Probably not, but she had no better ideas, so, might as well give it a try. 

It was safe to say that after six months as a manager-in-training, she had taken a liking to it. Being the shadow of a celebrity required caring for them more than she cared for herself. Managing their image, making sure they showed up to everything on time, that they said and did what they were supposed to in front of cameras, arranging schedules, talking to people, promoting the talent... It was absolute chaos... But as it was her nature, chaos was exciting. On top of that, she'd come to befriend the talent she was in charge of, who turned out to be unusually nice and down-to-earth for a celebrity. She couldn't have asked for more. 

But if there was one day since she started when she'd doubted her choice, it was today. Because just the day before, they had a goodbye dinner for her mentor, and she'd been promoted to fill her place. 

From today onwards, she wasn't just a trainee... She was the manager of the agency's top superstar, Cheng Xiao. 

 

"Okay, it's a wrap! Thank you for your hard work, everybody." The photographer yelled, as everyone on the set clapped and bowed to each other, putting away the hefty equipment and materials in light-speed efficiency. 

Cheng Xiao kicked her heels off and grabbed them with one hand, making her barefoot way out of the center of the set, towards Bona. Her limp screamed I can't stand to bin these heels one more second. 

"Please tell me I don't have any more schedules today. My feet are crying over these excruciating three hours! Or if I do, please tell me I'm sitting." Cheng Xiao sighed as she wrapped her arms around Bona's neck and let herself fall, nearly hitting her friend on the face with her heels and throwing both of them off balance. 

"Quit whining, you baby! Don't pretend you didn't enjoy modelling jeans with Jackson for hours." Bona teased as she checked her phone planner, her physical planner and her mind for Cheng Xiao's schedule. "You didn't even have to act like you were enjoying the touchiness, so it can't have been that hard." 

Jackson Wang – as known as Cheng Xiao's childhood friend, whom she had a crush on since they'd been modelling diapers. The sweetheart couple of everyone in the agency, and even the media – except they were never really a couple. Even though their interest in each other was clearly mutual, none of them would risk breaking that one clause in their contracts – no dating unless arranged or allowed by the company. 

"You know me well." Cheng Xiao grinned. "But in my defense, I did stand on these torture devices for three hours. He only has to wear insoles. It's not fair. And you - you can sit on your and stare at Xuan Yi the whole time." 

"Well, she can barely even spare a glance at me when she has to order a whole set of people around and operate her camera." Bona closed the planner and put her phone back in her pocket. "And yes, I can sit on my , but I am also not a superstar and it's my job to make sure you make a lot more money than I do." 

"Fair point." Cheng Xiao giggled and pointed at her, unwrapping her arms and setting her heels on the ground. "So... how's your not-so-first day?" 

"Much like a first day, except I know everyone already." Bona sighed and scratched the back of her neck. "I spent my whole day asking Victoria questions, only to find out she's not here anymore. Now I can't just have her fix my mistakes for me... I take nearly full responsibility for you, and if something happens, it's on me. Regardless if it was my fault or yours." 

"Bona, Victoria – the Victoria – trained you for six months. And besides, do you think mom and dad would allow just anyone to take responsibility for me?" She laid her hands on the sides of Bona's face. "Victoria's been my manager my whole life, but now it's her time to move on and I'm happy to see her happy. What more can I ask for, when I got a super professional and competent friend to replace her?" 

Bona's cheeks heated under the girl's hands. "Well, then I promise I will try hard not to mess up, and you promise you won't make a mess that I'm stuck with solving. Deal?" Bona winked at her friend, holding the hands that rested on her face, and the mood lit up. 

"Deal." Cheng Xiao brought their hands down and touched her manager's nose. "So... manager unni! You checked my schedule just now. What's in it for me today?"  

Bona grimaced. Cheng Xiao knew how much she hated formalities, as they made her feel old. They were also unnecessary after they'd been good friends for a considerable time. Though for that reason, she often recurred to this as one of the many ways to get on her nerves. 

"Well no, you don't. But now that I think of it, I should have booked you for another three-hour shoot in heels if you're finding yourself so funny. Remember, I hold some power now." Bona waved her planner in her hands with a grin. "Also, I'll be staying at your house tonight since you have that radio interview and we need to be there by 7am." 

Cheng Xiao launched herself back at her and snuggled in the crook of her neck, using her best persuasive voice, which to Bona was just whiny... but inevitably adorable. 

"But Bona would never use her power to hurt Xiao Xiao would she, would she, would she?" 

Bona felt her knees give up on her and pushed Cheng Xiao away. The model sure loved to get affectionate, and to this day, Bona had a hard time feeling comfortable when she got too close.  

"Don't you think you're better off using your charms on someone else?" Bona nudged her and tilted her head towards Jackson, who was talking to his manager on the opposite side of the set. "Since you're free for the day, why don't you take the chance to ask him out for dinner?" 

Cheng Xiao frowned and crossed her arms. "Do you think I should?" She turned to Bona, who nodded frantically. Her frown turned upside down, into a confident smile. "Yes, I definitely should!" 

Bona stood still, watching as the still-barefoot celebrity strutted towards Jackson, noticing how her face radiated the moment he looked in her direction. She shook her head, realizing how inappropriate staring would be. So, she took the liberty and made her way to someone of her own interest. 

"Good shots today?" Bona leaned with her back against the tall desk, where Xuan Yi, the photographer, examined a computer screen filled with thumbnails.  

"As always." Xuan Yi smirked. " I worked so many times with the people in this agency already, it only becomes easier." 

"Even better when there's an amazing photographer leading the way." Bona used her best seductive smile. "This campaign is going to be a hit." 

"It's easy to take good pictures of beautiful people, especially when they know what they're doing." Xuan Yi turned her attention away from the computer screen to make eye contact with her. "Speaking of beautiful people, when will you finally agree to let me photograph you?" 

Bona's cheeks flushed pink and she bit her lip, looking away. Gosh, were those huge round eyes so enticing. And she didn't even have to try... Even though she was probably trying. 

"It'll take a few more dinners to persuade me."  

"I'd love that. So, when are you available?" 

"Later today, actually." Bona said, raising her eyebrows. "I can't take long since Xiao has an early schedule, but I can make it fit." 

"I have another shoot in two hours, unfortunately, and me and Luda are going to be piled up with post-production for a while. But I'll let you know, yes? I can't spend that much time away from you." Xuan Yi shot her killer wink, deactivating Bona's ability to breathe.  

"Absolutely. I'll be waiting." Bona wiggled her phone in the air and removed herself from the desk. As she took her eyes off of Xuan Yi, she noticed Cheng Xiao was now sitting, back where they'd been just moments ago. Her gaze wandered between Bona and the floor, as she was obviously calling out for her, but was too polite to interrupt. 

"What's wrong?" The manager strode towards her. 

"He's got this junk food commercial shoot later. Rejected, again." Cheng Xiao shrugged, smiling sadly. "I don't know what's with him lately. He seems off... distant... different." 

Bona laid a hand on her shoulder "I thought you'd gotten used to this conflicting schedule thing by now. Why is this time any different?" 

"No, it's not about that. I could swear he used to talk to me with a different look on his eyes. Now, it's almost as if he's not even looking. But it isn't like I have any right to wish otherwise, right? We're not even an actual couple. You know, I can't even tell if he ever felt the same for me, or if he's really just been friendly all this time." 

Bona stared at her sympathetically and played with the girl's hair, while figuring out what she could possibly say to make her feel better.  

Being in Cheng Xiao's place was unimaginable – knowing that a steady relationship with the person she liked was out of reach, as there was just too much at stake. They were both rising superstars, they had busy and often conflicting schedules, and on top of that, their contracts didn't allow it unless previously approved by the company. Add that to Jackson constantly sending her mixed signals. Out of fear of putting both of them in a bad position, she'd never push him to have a real conversation about their feelings, so she couldn't be sure if it was even corresponded and worth the risk of defying the higher management of the company – which happened to be none other than her parents. 

"Well, just a minor setback that shouldn't be on my mind right now, because I need to keep being a celebrity." Cheng Xiao sighed and forced a smile. "So, did you make plans with Xuan Yi?" 

"No, she has another shoot later today, too. Seems like the jeans campaign is also going to give her a headache in post-production. Not that you guys need any though, you're both so gorgeous you make me sick." Bona pretended to puke. 

"Following your logic, shouldn't you be sick when you look in the mirror every morning?" Cheng Xiao wiggled her eyebrows. 

"Hey! Only Xuan Yi gets to hit on me, you little..." Bona swatted Cheng Xiao's hand, looking away to hide her reddened face.  

The girls giggled and stood in silence for a short while. 

"Go get changed out of the prison that is those jeans and I'll drive you home." Bona patted her shoulders. "The sooner you get home, the more you can rest before tomorrow. And you do deserve some rest." 

 


 

Getting past the gate security, Bona parked the car in the private garage next to the white, geometric building with floor-height windows that was Cheng Xiao's house. For the last month of her traineeship, she'd been the one driving the manager car, but somehow, it felt different now that she knew the sleek, black, tinted-glass vehicle was hers to drive. 

"Alright, the cook should be arriving soon to prepare your dinner according to your meal plan." She said, turning off the car. "I'll go home to get dinner myself and I'll be here by... 9pm. Get washed up and relax. Let your feet sink in hot water for a while, too, yeah?" 

"Yeah." Cheng Xiao said, looking down at her lap. A minute passed and she froze like that, not leaving the car. 

"Xiao, are you okay?" Bona rested a hand on the girl's leg, leaning to take a look at her face. In a flash, Cheng Xiao grabbed the hand on her leg, startling her friend, yet refusing to meet her eyes. 

"Bona, will you... stay?" 

"Yes, I'm staying the night, like I said..." Bona furrowed her brows. 

"No, I mean... stay. Stay here and have dinner with me." 

"Okay... That will do. I'll just text Luda to let her know I won't be going home today." Bona replied.  

Cheng Xiao's place was already her second home and her room was set up with everything she needed, including half of her entire wardrobe, as part of the job. She and Victoria often stayed with her, especially when Xiao had really early or really late schedules. Not going home wouldn't be a problem. 

That didn't make Cheng Xiao's behavior any less odd, though. They were good friends, but it was the first time she'd asked her to hang out outside of the work-required time, and so... intimately.  

Throughout dinner, all the way through bedtime, Xiao was her normal cheerful, conversation self, which made Bona all the more intrigued, and at the same time reluctant to ask her about anything. 

Cheng Xiao was a hard person to read. Sometimes she felt like an open book, at other times, like an ever-smiling mask was talking in her place. It was only natural, since she was a celebrity, and also an actress. She had to use her public persona every single day. But when Bona noticed she was using it with her, she felt uncomfortable, an urge growing in her to try and break the cover.  

Bona laid in bed with her laptop, surfing the web for news sites. Just as she was used to, she monitored what was said about Cheng Xiao, as well as other popular celebrities. Mostly good, as always, save for the occasional poorly-structured, purely evil comment. She hoped to distract herself from her worries over her friend, when she heard the knock on her door. 

"Bona!" Cheng Xiao opened the door with a smile. "What time should I set my alarm to?" 

"For the hundredth time, I am your alarm! I'll wake you up at 5:30, don't worry about it." 

"For the hundredth time, I am a big girl and I like to wake up by myself not to give you unnecessary trouble." Cheng Xiao insisted, tinkering with her phone to set the alarm. "Good night, Bona." 

"Good night, Xiao." Cheng Xiao showed her a thumbs up and seemed to close the door, but before the lock clicked, she pulled it back open and stared at the girl in the bed, her gaze almost going through her. 

"Bona... Actually... I wanted to ask you if you could..." She stared at her feet again. "Come sleep in my room tonight." 

Bona was at a loss of words. How could she say no when she asked her like that, looking so... vulnerable... needy? 

"O-okay!" She answered mechanically, trying not to stutter as she got up from bed and took whatever she'd need with her.  

Next thing she noticed, she was sitting in Xiao's bed as the latter placed extra pillows that perfectly matched the sky-blue satin sheets. 

"Xiao." She barely let her get under the covers before that name shot out of . 

"Yes?" 

"I'm worried about you. Back in the car, and even now... You look a bit off. It's okay if you don't want to tell me but... I just want you to know that if you want to, I'm here. You don't have to hide it and convince me you're okay when I know you're not." Bona fumbled her fingers. "Is this about what happened with Jackson earlier?" 

Cheng Xiao chuckled grimly. "Oh, no. You were right. I was just overthinking it. I wasn't too happy about that, but I won't let silly thoughts get into my head." 

Bona kept making eye contact, hoping to get whatever else she was hiding from her. 

"Okay, it's that..." Xiao sighed. "We're already friends and we already spend a lot of time together, but now that Victoria is gone, it's just the two of us. I loved her like family, but she was more like an aunt, since she was so much older than me. You're close to my age, and we really get along... I guess since you're stuck with me anyway I just kind of... want to be close with you. I don't know how to do this whole friend thing, so I'm really embarrassed and I'm probably acting weird. Sorry." 

Bona took Xiao's hand and looked in her eyes, which had a hint of a silver glow to it. 

"I thought you were pretty close with Tzuyu, Siyeon, or even Jackson..." 

"I am, but as kids we just hung out in the company, and as we got older, our schedules only became busier and more conflicted. When I get to be with them it's still in the headquarters or some place close to it. I never even had any of them over at my house." 

Bona squeezed her friend's hand, and when she looked back at her, it was as if, for the first time, she was actually barefaced – her celebrity mask torn to shreds. 

For the first time, she saw her for who she truly was – a girl, who had never gotten to be just a girl. Who had never had a truly close friend. Who'd made so many sacrifices in life she was willing to overlook because of her love and dedication to her job, and the company her parents maintained. 

"But you're right, I'm here now, and I'd love to be that friend for you. I just said I felt the same, after all. I want you to stop thinking you can't just be who you are around me. Of course I'll have to be strict and do my job from time to time when you act like a crybaby, but it will only be better for both of us if we can completely trust each other, right? No more being embarrassed around me!" 

Cheng Xiao pondered for a bit, then nodded at her with a wide smile before wrapping the girl in a hug. Bona was grateful this conversation had taken place. The barrier that had always stood between them had finally been destroyed. 

"It's past your bedtime, now. Let's get some sleep." Bona said, reaching for the remote. The room dimmed to black. "Good night, Xiao." She said as she tucked herself in beneath the covers. 

She felt the body beside her shift closer to her, supporting one hand on her shoulder. Then she felt a pair of lips peck way too close to the corner of her own. 

"Good night, Bona." Xiao murmured, as she laid her head on her shoulder and dozed off the next moment.

 

---

A/N: Hey you guys, I'm back with a new story. :) It's an entirely different theme from my previous work, so I'm excited and nervous at the same time, haha. I hope you like it and support the story along its course! :D